inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: hmmm, this is a tough one for me.

Written By: moparnut on 10/20/04 at 8:19 pm

thought I'd trow this one out and see what sticks, it's a tough one for me, but here goes.

Am I an ugly duckling? now I don't expect to improve on what ever the outcome, so I am what I am. So what am I? hehehe

Willing to ask the same of yourself?

Subject: Re: hmmm, this is a tough one for me.

Written By: Bobby on 10/21/04 at 5:09 am

I've said this before, Moparnut. Judging by your picture, you are not an ugly duckling - I would suggest you smile a bit more though. You will never believe how much that transforms a face.  ;)

Me an ugly duckling? I don't know is the proper answer. Some days I feel good about the way I look, others I don't. My main flaw is I lack that 'in your face' kind of charisma a lot of people have - but that is because I am polite.  :)

Written By: karen on 10/21/04 at 5:32 am

I agree with what both Cheer and Bobby have said.  You're not an ugly duckling (though I prefer clean shaven men as well) and I bet a smile would transform your face.  Your avatar photo looks quite mournful.

What of myself?  Well I think I'm inbetween.  I'm not ugly and I'm not beautiful at all.  I should have stuck to wearing braces as a teen and my chin is a bit too prominent.  :-\\

Written By: danootaandme on 10/21/04 at 5:56 am

No you're not ugly moparnut.  I suspect your eyes go all crinkly when you smile, I love that.
Like Peter Townshend said, "All the Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes" :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/21/04 at 9:45 am

I don't think that you are an ugly duckling. But, I do understand how you feel. I'm sure most people here will be surprised to know that I used to think of myself as an ugly duckling too. It is actually something that I still kind of struggle with (it is call low self esteem-which I am getting much better at).

But remember, looks aren't everything. I once knew this woman who was very homely looking but she was one of the sweetest people you could ever meet. Because of that, most people who knew her called her beautiful because she was a beautiful person and had a beautiful soul.

Just be yourself and I'm sure that people will realize that you are a swan.

Cat

Written By: Skylark on 10/21/04 at 10:39 am

No way, you're not ugly! You remind me of how my dad used to look ten years ago, actually, and my dad's not bad-looking even now, for a middle-aged person. Especially because of the moustache. It looks sophisticated and hides wrinkles! ;)

Anyway - and this is in general - most people can do a lot with their looks just by smartening up the way they dress or having their posture seen to by a chiropractor. If that doesn't boost one's self-esteem, then they can book themselves in for a makeover, go have a manicure (guys can do this, too) or even, if necessary, book into a gym and go on a fitness program. Now, you say you don't expect to improve on the outcome, but as I see it there are always several solutions to a problem. You just have to be willing to carry them through!

As for myself, I wasn't as comfortable with my looks a few years ago as I am now. I used to wear hideous glasses - I bought new ones and contact lenses. I used to have bad acne - I took hormone treatment. I had boring hair - I streaked it with red. I looked bad in current fashions - I started ignoring them and bought clothes that suited me instead. It's all about what you choose to do to overcome your problems. Nothing will ever change if you're not willing to make some changes first.

Written By: Bobby on 10/21/04 at 7:17 pm

As for myself, I wasn't as comfortable with my looks a few years ago as I am now. I used to wear hideous glasses - I bought new ones and contact lenses. I used to have bad acne - I took hormone treatment. I had boring hair - I streaked it with red. I looked bad in current fashions - I started ignoring them and bought clothes that suited me instead. It's all about what you choose to do to overcome your problems. Nothing will ever change if you're not willing to make some changes first.

Gosh! You went through a lot in transforming yourself then, Skylark. Well done for adapting your weaker to strong points - a positive attitude like that works wonders.  :)

Written By: Dagwood on 10/21/04 at 7:50 pm

You're not an ugly duckling, Moparnut.  I think we all have insecurities and feel like one.  It is what is on the inside that counts, not the outside. :)

Written By: Howard on 10/21/04 at 8:37 pm

Don't worry Mop.We all have our little flaws.I'm starting to get thinning hair,pimples,wrinkles and shades of gray :P

Howard

Written By: moparnut on 10/23/04 at 10:13 pm

Thank you all for your responses and your kind words of encouragement, but I wasn't feeling down in the dumps or anything like that. But it doesn't hurt to take inventory once in a while of how one is doing. By the way I am not trying to hide any wrinkles, I don't have any of note, and as for smiling, I totaly agree, a smile is always a treat, but I feel a genuine smile is so much more appealing than one CREATED  for a picture. The next picture I can get with a smile I will use for my avatar ( what the hell is an avatar? what does it mean?) hehehehe.

Written By: Apricot on 10/23/04 at 10:35 pm

but I feel a genuine smile is so much more appealing than one CREATED  for a picture.

I agree. I don't like to smile for pictures because I'm not happy when they're taken. Even when I'm happy, it's hard to make an authentic smile. Unless something makes me laugh, I just can't do it.

Written By: Howard on 10/24/04 at 9:36 am

We're all gonna have our flaws here and there.no one's perfect. :)

Howard

Check for new replies or respond here...