inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Top 100 WORST Bands/Artists/Pop Acts of the MTV era (1981 to present)

Written By: woops on 10/27/04 at 8:51 pm

Here's the worst bands, artists, & pop acts of the last 23 years.

I didn't list Beyonce & Gloria Estefan's solo work since they're not as different with the group they're originally from.

Plus, Madonna, Michael Jackson, & Metallica doesn't count since they were really good  at one point in their career.  8)
Though I did rank Whitney Houston since I never liked her music, except for "I Wanna Dance With Somebody".

BTW, I'm not from VH1, Rolling Stone, MTV, Blender, etc.  8)

And I like 1 or 2 songs from a few of the bands I listed. (Not Saying  :-X, though I did mention a Whitney Houston song I like)

Here's the list: Not including country since I can't stand the whole genre. (No offense to country music  fans)

100. MC Hammer
99. Moby
98. Chumbawamba
97. Chevelle
96. Norah Jones
95. Billy Ocean
94. Yellowcard
93. 4 Non Blondes
92. Lita Ford
91. Oasis (Blatant Beatles ripoff!!!)
90. Hoobastank
89. Lenny Loggins
88. Mya
87. Hatebreed
86. Korn
85. Pink
84. Alicia Keys
83. Manowar
82. Another Bad Creation
81. Nelly
80. B2K
79. Hillary Duff
78. Sade
77. Gwar
76. Paula Cole
75. Bush
74. Kriss Kross
73. Maroon 5
72. Ace Of Base
71. Jewel
70. Whitney Houston
69. Lil' Kim
68. Sinead O'Commer
67. Insane Clown Posse
66. Nickleback
65. W.A.S.P.
64. Miami Sound Machine
63. Good Charlotte
62. Wu Tang Clan
61. P.O.D.
60. Usher
59. Marky Mark & The Funky Bunch
58. Slipknot
57. Ricky Martin
56. Kittie
55. Papa Roach
54. Taco
53. Linkin Park
52. Grim Reaper
51. Jay Z
50. Lil' Bow Wow
49. Kid Rock
48. The Pointer Ssiters
47. Menudo
46. Ashanti
45. Jennifer Lopez (The Most Successful Actor/Singer)
44. Richard Marx
43. C+C Music Factory
42. The Prodigy
41. Mandy Moore
40. Techontronic
39. Master P
38. Destiny's Child
37. Stryper
36. Ludacris
35. Kelly Clarkson
34. Latoya Jackson (The Least Talented Jackson)
33. John Mayer
32. Rick Astley
31. 50 Cent
30. Slayer
29. Ja Rule
28. Hootie & The Blowfish
27. Gerardo
26.The KLF
25. Avril Lavigne (The Wannabe Punk Singer)
24. White Zombie
23. Celine Dion
22. Justin Timberlake
21. Starship
20. Color Me Badd
19. Winger
18. Sum 41
17. Journey
16. Tiffany
15.  Creed
14. Backstreet Boys
13. N' Sync
12. Christina Aguilera
11. Britney Spears
10. Puff Daddy
9. Marilyn Mason
8. Limp Bizkit
7. Hanson
6. Wilson Phillips
5. Spice Girls
4. Nelson
3. Vanilla Ice
2. New Kids On The Block (Prototype N' Sync/B.S. Boys)

...The #1 All Time Worst Band/Artsis/Pop Act of the MTV era...

1. Milli Vanilli

What's your opinion? Good or Bad.

And what artist(s) would you add or disagree with on the list.  :)

Subject: Re: Top 100 WORST Bands/Artists/Pop Acts of the MTV era (1981 to present)

Written By: sputnikcorp on 10/27/04 at 11:31 pm

yes, many of those artists listed are stinkers. a very dear friend of mine absolutely loves manowar, number 83 on your list. they are the worst metal band in all of metal history. in fact, their lyrics are so cheesy, it's good. manowar is like spinal tap come to life.

Subject: Re: Top 100 WORST Bands/Artists/Pop Acts of the MTV era (1981 to present)

Written By: zcrito on 10/27/04 at 11:46 pm

How can you like one or two songs by some of the people on your list but still consider them some of the worst in the last 23 years??

For me, I too could probably come up with 20 songs from artists in that list, that well, I'd be lying if I said I didn't mind hearing one or two of their songs on my car's radio.

It's the "artists" that I can't think of one song I like that are the truly awful. And they know who they are.

:)

Written By: woops on 10/28/04 at 12:07 am

How can you like one or two songs by some of the people on your list but still consider them some of the worst in the last 23 years??

For example:

Like the mention Whitney Houston song "I Want To Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)" have a great beat, but I can't stand her voice.

And "Seventeen" by Winger is a good song, but might as well been done better by Motley Crue. And "Miles Away" is a fairly good song. Their wretched cover of "Purple Haze" & "Easy Come, Easy Go" are very dissmissive.

The songs I'll mention:

"U Can't Touch This" MC Hammer, great dance song (Maybe because of the Rick James sample) ...but his other songs are really cheesy

"Kiss Me Deadly" Lita Ford, a catchy/fun song, but I consider Lita Ford as a joke (Same with Winger)

"I Think We're Alone Now" Tiffany, Also has a great beat. But I find Tiffany's voice to thin. Unlike Deborah (Then Debbie) Gibson, who's not on the list since I like a couple of her songs.

"Danger Zone" by Kenny Loggins, another guilty pleasure. Better if done by Glenn Frey. But I don't care for other hits like "Footloose".

"Little Things" Good Charlotte , a catchy song. The only song from that I  like since I consider them the "Winger" of the pop punk genre.

"I Wanna Be Somebody" W.A.S.P. , another hairmetal  guilty pleasure. And most of the other material are too dark & dissmissive to my taste.

"Neautron Dance"  The Pointer Sisters, a fun catchy song with a good beat. But the rest of their songs sound too dissmissive & '70's disco for my taste. (Though I'll admit to like "Heart Of Glass" by Bolndie and a couple '70's funk songs)

And finally...

"Freak On A Leash" Korn, only because of the breath taking music video.

Written By: Billy Florio on 10/28/04 at 2:08 am

well, I dont agree with much of this list....I think Norah Jones, Moby, Oasis, etc are good artists

I cant do a list now, maybe Ill do one soon

Written By: ktelqueen on 10/28/04 at 3:00 am

i just went through the list and i LIKE(or used to,at least) 48 out of the hundred listed..to each their own,right  ;)

Written By: elefanten on 10/28/04 at 8:32 am

i like 13 of 'em

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/28/04 at 8:39 am

Just out of curisosity here, firstly is that just your opinion or did you like read it somewhere, and secondly.. ohmigosh, how is Slayer awful, how are maroon 5 awful, how are the prodigy awful, how is paula cole awful.

Anyway assumeing those are the hundred worst, who are the hundred best?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/28/04 at 11:52 am

I think there are some in the list that's up to discussion, but not all of them are bad. Unfortunately, you picked some good acts (e.g. Norah Jones, Sade) to place with some mediocre bands/artists. IMHO, not liking their voices doesn't mean that they are bad singers. Hello, where are Jessica Simpson and Ashlee Simpson? Now that's bad. Where's your logic?

Tanya

Written By: ktelqueen on 10/28/04 at 12:29 pm

^ hey,Tanya..you forgot my fave Lindsay Lohan(kidding,of course)  ;)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/28/04 at 1:01 pm

For the most part I agree with that list.  I do like a couple of those artists, though...

I really don't think The Pointer Sisters should be on that list.  They are an excellent vocal group!  :)

Written By: Heathcliff on 10/28/04 at 1:51 pm

:o There's at least five acts on therer that I like... Wilson Phillips had one good song, I guess, as did Chumbawumba, but... Ace of Base?  How cruel!  However, I do agree with the top ten... Vanilla Ice would be #1 on my chart, however :)

Written By: elefanten on 10/28/04 at 2:53 pm

My top ten worst bands/solo people

10: Avril Lavigne (she can't sing)
9: Nickelback
8: Frankie Goes To Hollywood (There music is fun, but the lyrics makes me sick)
7: Marilyn Manson
6: Las Kechup
5: A Choros Line
4: FaKe
3: Creed (ZzZzZz)
2: Guns'n'Roses
1: Deftones

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/28/04 at 3:01 pm

^ hey,Tanya..you forgot my fave Lindsay Lohan(kidding,of course)  ;)

HA!  :D  ;D

Tanya

Written By: Kenlos on 10/28/04 at 4:31 pm

10: Avril Lavigne (she can't sing)

She can't sing all that well but she can definitly sing better than Ashlee Simpson can.

Written By: woops on 10/28/04 at 7:44 pm

Just out of curisosity here, firstly is that just your opinion or did you like read it somewhere, and secondly.. ohmigosh, how is Slayer awful, how are maroon 5 awful, how are the prodigy awful, how is paula cole awful.

It's from my opnion.

Slayer... a hate rock band that would make Eminem look like Hanson. And that's saying something.

Maroon 5... another bland Adult Contemporary rock band that's overplayed on the radio

The Prodigy... A schock/techno group that sounds like a nails scratching on a chalkboard.

Paula Cole...  (This Comment May Be Too Offensive To Post  :-X )

I think there are some in the list that's up to discussion, but not all of them are bad. Unfortunately, you picked some good acts (e.g. Norah Jones, Sade) to place with some mediocre bands/artists. IMHO, not liking their voices doesn't mean that they are bad singers. Hello, where are Jessica Simpson and Ashlee Simpson? Now that's bad. Where's your logic?

Tanya

IMO, Ashlee Simpson is a fairly good singer. Despite of the recent SNL fiasco. And I haven't heard Jessica Simpson's material except for her cover of "Take My Breath Away", which was bad.

Written By: Apricot on 10/28/04 at 8:02 pm

*bows humbly at your well thought out and justified hatred*

I like Oasis, but it is a Beatles ripoff.

Written By: woops on 10/28/04 at 9:35 pm

I posted a "Best" list on the "Woops 100 Favorite Bands of the last 23 Years" thread on this forum.  :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/28/04 at 11:46 pm

IMO, Ashlee Simpson is a fairly good singer. Despite of the recent SNL fiasco. And I haven't heard Jessica Simpson's material except for her cover of "Take My Breath Away", which was bad.

I can't argue with your feeling over Jessica's screw-up, oops, cover! It sucked, but I do ask that you listen to more of her stuff. Even though I can't stand her either, I'd rather listen to her than her sister.

Tanya

Check for new replies or respond here...