inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Trick or Treat!

Written By: gemini61 on 10/28/04 at 7:54 am

What were the popular Halloween costumes when you were a kid? What kind of pranks did you play when you were out trick or treating?  In my case,  (60s & 70s) we usually had to wear those store bought uncomfortable plastic masks with the cloth costume that you put over your clothes  :P  I don't remember alot of them when I was younger except one in particular which was a cartoon character that was a blue hippo? Someone help me out here, it's bugging the heck out of me. I think it was late 60s. As a teenager in the 70s we would usually just wear something around the house. The politically incorrect "Hobo" is one I remember we went as alot.  As for pranks, (which of course I never did  ;)), was soaping windows and T-P ing houses. That was when it was actually dark for trick or treating. Ok, enough rambling. . . . . .

Subject: Re: Trick or Treat!

Written By: Ripp on 10/28/04 at 10:31 am

dont ask me, i neva bin trik or treatin!!
hm.
Weird.lately nones trick or treated our house or anyone up our street!

i usualy see werewolf costumes, ghosts, or vampires. the normal. im still a kid so you gotta expect me to answer with today!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/28/04 at 10:52 am

I remember those awful store bought costumes. I hated them but luckily, I wasn't "forced" to wear them. (Don't member the blue hippo-sorry.) I remember two of my sisters and a friend of theirs in a store playing with the masks doing the "I want the rent" "But, I don't have the rent" etc. At the end one of my sisters put on a D!ck Tracy mask and said the last line as "I will save you. I am D!ck Tracy". Now, I can't even think of masks or D!ck Tracy without thinking of that.

I was never really good at coming up with costumes (and didn't really have much help either). Yeah, the hobo was the easiest and I had dressed up as one a couple of times. We used to take dancing lessons so I used a lot of our dance costumes. That was easy, too but I thought pretty boring. But, I remember some really good costumes (not mine but other people's). My sister once dressed up like Santa Clause. When people asked her if she was a little early, she replied, "No, I'm late from last year." One year, a couple of my sisters and a bunch of neighborhood kids all went out as Snow White and the 7 dwarfs (with one sister as Snow White and another as Dopey). I remember one girl went out as a Christmas present. She was very upset when someone tried to "open" her. I also remember one girl going out dressed like Aunt Jemima-which today would be considered pretty politically incorrect. That is all I can think of right now.

Just wanted to add this. At a local restaurant that is all decked out for Halloween, they have a mannequin in from that looks like Michael Jackson and next to it is a picture of Joan Crawford. Talk about scaring people. That's enough to make someone lose their appitite.  :P

Cat

Written By: Jennifer028 on 10/28/04 at 11:20 am

I was usually something homemade.  Like I remember being a gypsy one year and my stepmom did a really good job dressing me up with stuff from our house.  Big hoop earrings, a scarf around my head, bracelets, a big skirt with a wrap around my waist..pretty cool. 
A couple of years I was a witch...at least 3 times.  :)

Written By: Gis on 10/28/04 at 11:37 am

Trick or Treating has really only been happening in the U.K for a few years so I didn't get to dress up as a kid.However one of the R.A.F camps I lived on when I was in my mid-teens had a few of American families so we got to dress up and go round.My friend and I were meant to be going round with the younger kids to keep an eye on them.I remember going as a black death plague victim one year !?! I recall we did remarkably well for sweets the year we went as Highwaymen. Most people said they would rather give us a treat as they were worried what we might do as the trick !

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/28/04 at 11:49 am

I do remember those plastic costumes with the masks that had slits for the eyes, nose, and sometimes mouth. I didn't treat or trick b/c Halloween wasn't really acknowledged in my house.

Tanya

Written By: gemini61 on 10/28/04 at 11:54 am

Ok, the blue hippo was Peter Potamous (spelling?)  Who was Peter Potamous? I can't remember it, but do remember wearing the costume.  :-\\

Written By: karen on 10/28/04 at 12:01 pm

Ok, the blue hippo was Peter Potamous (spelling?)  Who was Peter Potamous? I can't remember it, but do remember wearing the costume.  :-\\

Do you mean this guy? (Spelt Peter Potamus)

Written By: gemini61 on 10/28/04 at 12:05 pm

Do you mean this guy? (Spelt Peter Potamus)

Ok, what was my mom thinking when she bought me that costume? I guess I must have watched the cartoon or something.  Would've rather been a princess  :\'(  ;) 

Written By: karen on 10/28/04 at 12:12 pm

As Gis says trick or treating is a v recent thig to do in this country.  In general most kids here dress up as witches, wizards, devils or ghosts (or similar'scary' type things) whereas it seems in the US you just dress up as whatever.  At least that's the impression I'm getting from discussions here and from films (ET anyone?)

We are going to a Hallowe'en party this year at my dad's club.  they've held a joint Hallowe'en/bonfire night thing for the past few years.  I made my daughter a witches costume last year and built in lots of growing room.  It'll probably still fit her when she's 15!  I bought her a new hat this year.  I also bought my son a hat and a cute "scary" mask.

For his first party (age 9 months) I dressed him as a pumpkin lantern in orange trousers and top with black paper features stuck on.  He looked sweet!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/28/04 at 1:04 pm

I was usually something homemade.  Like I remember being a gypsy one year and my stepmom did a really good job dressing me up with stuff from our house.

I also wore homemade costumes...hobos, gypsies and the like.  :)

Written By: Marian on 10/28/04 at 2:58 pm

What were the popular Halloween costumes when you were a kid? What kind of pranks did you play when you were out trick or treating?  In my case,  (60s & 70s) we usually had to wear those store bought uncomfortable plastic masks with the cloth costume that you put over your clothes  :P  I don't remember alot of them when I was younger except one in particular which was a cartoon character that was a blue hippo? Someone help me out here, it's bugging the heck out of me. I think it was late 60s. As a teenager in the 70s we would usually just wear something around the house. The politically incorrect "Hobo" is one I remember we went as alot.  As for pranks, (which of course I never did  ;)), was soaping windows and T-P ing houses. That was when it was actually dark for trick or treating. Ok, enough rambling. . . . . .
:oActually,hoboes aren't the same thing as bums.There was a local Tv program about them lst week.They travel by choice,sometimes just part of the year(one guy was a teacher),and they aren't into harrassing people or getting high or into trouble.they do stuff like construction.This one town has a hobo convention every year,and a hobo parade where they meet the people of the town.real hobos get offended if you call them bums or equate them with beggars.Cheers!

Written By: Howard on 10/28/04 at 9:10 pm

When I was a kid about 15,16 years ago I was always dracula.He was so fascinating.I always wore his fangs and had those plastic blood capsules drip down my mouth for a scary effect. :P

Howard

Written By: mandamoo on 10/29/04 at 7:18 am

As Gis says trick or treating is a v recent thig to do in this country.

Likewise here Karen, so needless to say I've never got dressed up and gone out tricking or treating. Sounds fun though ! :D

Written By: danootaandme on 10/29/04 at 7:37 am

We always did the homemade costume thing.  Sometimes a paper bag with eyeholes and stuff, or hobo type.  One year, I went to a party dressed as Shirley Temple, since I am African American I was Shirley Temple Black.  Right now I am a bit worried that I am the only one who gets the joke, unless Don Carlos checks in.

Written By: karen on 10/29/04 at 7:41 am

One year, I went to a party dressed as Shirley Temple, since I am African American I was Shirley Temple Black. 

You mean this lady?  (Isn't Google wonderful?  ;D)

Written By: Ripp on 10/29/04 at 9:11 am

Halloween parties are my fave. My house has had hundreds of parties. Once, I remember dressing up as Eddie from The rocky horror show. I had denim trousers on, I think I had my body-warmer on. And a black top! Hehe, but I never got the scar for my head. My "motorbike" was a 3 wheeled scooter.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/29/04 at 10:47 am

We always did the homemade costume thing.  Sometimes a paper bag with eyeholes and stuff, or hobo type.  One year, I went to a party dressed as Shirley Temple, since I am African American I was Shirley Temple Black.  Right now I am a bit worried that I am the only one who gets the joke, unless Don Carlos checks in.

I get it!

Off the topic just a bit. When my mother was little (grew up in the 30s) ALL mothers wanted their little girls to look just like Shirley Temple-so they dressed them in the frilly dresses and curled their hair, etc. But, the thing was, my mother DID look like her without all of that. Even looking at Shirley Temple Black today, I still see some resemblance to my mother.

Cat

Written By: nally on 10/29/04 at 1:04 pm

I haven't worn a costume since I was 13; at the time I decided I was "too old" for stuff like that. I first dressed up for Halloween at age 5; I was a clown. I wore the same costume the following year. In each of the following years, I was ALF, an alarm clock, a spaceman, Bart Simpson, a baseball player, Cousin Itt, and a Conehead. The alarm clock is something I had thought of myself, so my parents took a big cardboard box and cut off the bottom, and holes on the sides and top of the box for my arms and head, and drew a clock face on one side, with movable hands.

Written By: Jessica on 10/29/04 at 1:39 pm

Nope, I got it too. ;D

My favorite costumes were the ones my mom made for me. When I was little, I had a tamer version of a Playboy Bunny costume. Black bow tie, black leotard (with a bunny tail attached), black tights, and black flats. Then she made me the white cuffs and bunny ears with silver glitter on them. :) I've also been a princess, a 50's girl, a Hawaiian girl, Death, and last year, I was a Harem girl. The costume was see through. Luckily, I wore stuff underneath it. ;D

This year I was gonna dress up as a pregnant nun with a sign saying, "The devil made me do it" and have the Cube dress up as the devil. I'm too lazy to get the stuff together though.

Written By: Howard on 10/29/04 at 10:11 pm

I stopped going Trick Or Treating when I was in my late teens.I felt I was getting way too old for it. ;D

Howard

Written By: alwayssearching on 10/29/04 at 11:44 pm

My friends and I dressed up like babies.  We would put our hair in pig tails and carry baby bottles.  WHY footie pajamas were made in such large sizes I can only guess.  We also dressed like hippies a couple of years. :D

Written By: Marian on 10/30/04 at 4:18 pm

;DI got the joke,though someone could be thrown off since Danoota,or danuta,is a Polish name1Cheers!

Written By: Howard on 10/30/04 at 6:38 pm

us guys we don't go trick or treating anymore.We throw eggs and shaving cream. ;D

Howard

Written By: nally on 10/30/04 at 6:53 pm

I stopped going Trick Or Treating when I was in my late teens.I felt I was getting way too old for it. ;D

I decided to stop trick-or-treating at age 13 for the same reason. For the next three years we gave out candy to trick-or-treaters who came to our door, but after that we thought it was getting outta hand because there were so many kids; they couldn't possibly be all from the neighborhood. So we either went out for the evening or just stayed home and kept the lights down so that nobody would know we were home.

Written By: lebeiw15 on 10/31/04 at 8:13 pm

5th grade was my last year of trick-or-treating.  I don't care much for Halloween anyway, I think it's kind of dumb unless you're a kid.  But that's just my opinion.

I never realized this weekend was Halloween until someone told me Friday night. :o

Written By: Howard on 10/31/04 at 9:55 pm

I think Halloween is a complete joke.Nowadays,you'll be seeing snotty teenage kids wanting candy. >:( :P

Howard

Written By: fragswife on 10/31/04 at 10:16 pm

I think Halloween is a complete joke.Nowadays,you'll be seeing snotty teenage kids wanting candy. >:( :P

Howard

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree...  The teenagers are too busy lighting illegal fireworks in front of my house right now to come to the door.   >:(   They're so loud, they are setting off people's house and car alarms.  grrrrr...

On the other hand, I had a great time dressing up for work on Friday, and everyone who came in the office was spooked by my costume.  I have to call it a success!

:-) fw

Written By: Howard on 11/01/04 at 9:13 pm

Did anyone notice any cracked eggs and gobs of shaving cream around their area?

Howard

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/08/05 at 11:08 pm

My mom always made us the most unique Halloween costumes.  I think the best/most unique costume that I had (and won a prize for at school) was a costume set that she made for a friend and myself.  We were salt and pepper shakers (my friend was black...therefore pepper, and I being white....was salt)....it was really cute!

My mom also threw a Halloween party for me when I was younger.....I invited my friends...we bobbed for apples, played other games, had spooky themed treats, had a parade around the neighborhood, and had the "best costume" contest....I will always remember that day!

Erin :)

Written By: whistledog on 10/08/05 at 11:59 pm

It's been so long ago, I can't even remember what I was for any Halloween.  I remember in my first year of College, I had a chocolate fix one evening, so I put on an old hockey mask and went out trick or treating  ;D

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 10/09/05 at 3:32 am

My mom also threw a Halloween party for me when I was younger.....I invited my friends...we bobbed for apples, played other games, had spooky themed treats, had a parade around the neighborhood, and had the "best costume" contest....I will always remember that day!

.. >:-{

MBN, Erin. MBN.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/09/05 at 4:09 pm

.. >:-{

MBN, Erin. MBN.

sorry Beth....you were born too late.....they were already old by that time ;)! LOL!

Written By: Apricot on 10/09/05 at 4:15 pm

We used to trick-or-treat, me and my cousins... got a decent amount too.. I only got to go alone one time before I hit 13.. one year I couldn't go at all cause my mom was so paranoid.

My family hands out random candy.. nothing really generic, but whatever decent candy we can get before the 31st (or closest day, it's always a Wednesday around here) we give out.

Written By: Howard on 10/10/05 at 6:50 pm

I'll just go as a condom over my head. ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/10/05 at 7:51 pm

I'll just go as a condom over my head. ;D

do they make them that big?  ;D

Written By: Howard on 10/11/05 at 7:32 pm

do they make them that big?  ;D

I bet they do

Written By: thenewwavechick on 10/11/05 at 7:44 pm

One of my favorite costumes was when I was about 9 years old and I dressed up as Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz.  My Mom made the costume and I had the pony tails, a basket and yes a stuffed dog as Toto.  I should find a picture of me as Dorothy and post it here.  :P

Written By: annimal on 07/30/18 at 2:05 pm

I still wear my jester hat all the time

Written By: annimal on 10/05/18 at 1:50 pm

and now I'm going to wear my pirate hat I just got

Written By: Howard on 10/05/18 at 4:48 pm

In just another 26 more days.

Written By: annimal on 10/05/18 at 5:11 pm

do i have to wait that long

Written By: nally on 10/05/18 at 7:03 pm

In just another 26 more days.

do i have to wait that long

It'll be here before ya know it!

I remember all my trickortreating adventures during my childhood.

Written By: annimal on 10/05/18 at 7:23 pm

of corse it will, how would I ever find out who it is?

Written By: annimal on 10/07/18 at 6:29 pm

I want  candy

Written By: wsmith4 on 10/08/18 at 1:35 pm

I want  candy

MMM?S  Milky Way?  Reeeses PB Cub?  They een make peanut butter ones now!

Written By: annimal on 10/08/18 at 6:21 pm

I thought it was a PB cup not cub

Written By: wsmith4 on 10/08/18 at 7:45 pm

I thought it was a PB cup not cub

I’m almost certain it’s cub

Written By: annimal on 10/08/18 at 10:53 pm

is that een word even?

Written By: nally on 10/08/18 at 11:19 pm

is that een word even?

I think it might be a shorthand (or poetic), so yes.

Written By: Howard on 10/09/18 at 7:49 am

I want  candy

So do I.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/10/18 at 6:20 am

is that een word even?

I think it might be a shorthand (or poetic), so yes.
Halloween or Hallowe'en (a contraction of All Hallows' Evening), also known as Allhalloween, All Hallows' Eve, or All Saints' Eve.

Written By: annimal on 10/10/18 at 1:27 pm

cool, I'm just going to lick my teeth

Written By: wsmith4 on 10/10/18 at 1:45 pm

cool, I'm just going to get some reese's peanut butter cubs

You found them??

Written By: annimal on 10/10/18 at 1:50 pm

no, they had all been bought

Written By: wsmith4 on 10/10/18 at 1:59 pm

Yes, I ate them all

You didn't save any for me?

Written By: annimal on 10/10/18 at 2:02 pm

I didn't eat any

Written By: wsmith4 on 10/10/18 at 2:06 pm

I couldn't they were too good

Maybe next time you can save me some?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/10/18 at 2:58 pm

Halloween or Hallowe'en (a contraction of All Hallows' Evening), also known as Allhalloween, All Hallows' Eve, or All Saints' Eve.

Samhain (pronounced  "sow-in")- Irish Gaelic for "summer's end."

Cat

Written By: annimal on 10/10/18 at 4:11 pm

I'm getting scared

Written By: nally on 10/10/18 at 4:14 pm

Oh yes, that's right. I remember now. So I was close.

Written By: annimal on 10/14/18 at 11:02 pm

can I have candy yet?

Written By: Howard on 10/15/18 at 5:46 am

3 weeks from now.

Written By: annimal on 10/21/18 at 5:52 pm

now?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/22/18 at 1:30 am

now?
Wednesday next week.

Written By: annimal on 10/31/18 at 11:08 pm

today?

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/31/18 at 11:37 pm

A bag of Tart-N-Tangy Skittles or a PB Max bar would have made my Halloween!  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/01/18 at 12:26 am

A bag of Tart-N-Tangy Skittles or a PB Max bar would have made my Halloween!  ;D
No anyone at my door last night! But, i did see a group of children in fancy dress walking pass me.

Written By: nally on 11/01/18 at 12:55 am

No anyone at my door last night! But, i did see a group of children in fancy dress walking pass me.

I kept it dark in my house so that no one would ring the doorbell. Been doing that pretty much every year now.

And no one came!

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/01/18 at 1:08 am

I am hearing reports on the radio of delivery men (or women) had a hard time delivering last night, for the no one would answer the door fearing Trick or Treaters.

Written By: Howard on 11/01/18 at 5:40 am

not many came by last night either.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/01/18 at 5:54 am

not many came by last night either.
So you how some? did they have frightening costumes on?

Written By: Howard on 11/01/18 at 6:00 am

So you how some? did they have frightening costumes on?

about 2 or 3, but we didn't answer the door.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/01/18 at 6:02 am

about 2 or 3, but we didn't answer the door.
Just hid behind the sofa?

Written By: annimal on 11/01/18 at 10:59 am

we had quite a few. I opened the door with my claws

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/01/18 at 11:01 am

We didn't have too many last night, either. Before we moved, I used to go through 10 bags of candy. Now we are only a block away from our other house and we didn't even go through 4 bags. (We only bought 4 bags this year.) So, there is still some left over candy-it will be a tough job but SOMEONE has to eat it.  ;) :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: annimal on 11/01/18 at 11:03 am

one bag, 100 pieces of candy

Written By: wsmith4 on 11/01/18 at 11:36 am

Did you eat 1000 pieces of candy.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/01/18 at 11:37 am

We didn't have too many last night, either. Before we moved, I used to go through 10 bags of candy. Now we are only a block away from our other house and we didn't even go through 4 bags. (We only bought 4 bags this year.) So, there is still some left over candy-it will be a tough job but SOMEONE has to eat it.  ;) :D ;D ;D

Cat
http://www.inthe00s.com/Smileys/halloween/rolleyes.gif

Written By: wsmith4 on 11/01/18 at 11:53 am

Someone came to my house and stole all my candy and my furniture off my front porch and packed it neatly away in my shed.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/01/18 at 1:08 pm

one bag, 100 pieces of candy

No. The bags have about 40 pieces. (Hershey's fun size.)

Cat

Written By: annimal on 11/01/18 at 4:45 pm

then the bags we got were not labeled correctly

Written By: Howard on 11/02/18 at 3:10 pm

Just hid behind the sofa?

just didn't answer the door, we had no candy to give out.

Written By: annimal on 11/02/18 at 3:45 pm

oh man, a little blue monster eating a peanut butter cup and a striped body builder

Check for new replies or respond here...