inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What kind of driver are you?

Written By: gemini61 on 10/29/04 at 8:45 pm

I thought of this topic while driving home tonight, with some idiot riding my @ss all the way with his bright lights blinding me! Now, I'm not into full blown road rage but I wanted to break check that guy BAD!!  >:(  Ahhh, I feel much better now   ;) So, do you have road rage, flip people off, slow down when they get too close or brake check them. Just wondered, because I see alot of crazy drivers out there lately. BTW, I'm usually a really courteous driver but sometimes. . . . . . . .   

Subject: Re: What kind of driver are you?

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/29/04 at 9:15 pm

I would consider myself an average driver...never had a ticket (knock on wood!)

I do get really annoyed with inconsiderate drivers, especially those that cut me off, tailgate, etc.

Written By: Bobby on 10/29/04 at 9:24 pm

I'm afraid I don't drive, Gemini. I have thought about taking lessons many a time but I am too scared of the idea.

Written By: zcrito on 10/30/04 at 12:42 am

I'm afraid I don't drive, Gemini. I have thought about taking lessons many a time but I am too scared of the idea.

You really should. If public transportation works well for you then great, but later on it may be a "skill" you might really need.

Are you scared of the traffic, of driving a car with a clutch, or something else?

???
;)

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 10/30/04 at 2:44 am

I too am a non driver - by choice.  I have never had my licence.

I walk to work and to the grocery store etc.  I catch taxis when needed.

And I spend WAY less per year on transport than my friends who have to plough cash into maintenance, petrol, registration, insurance etc etc every year.

Written By: gemini61 on 10/30/04 at 3:56 am

I would consider myself an average driver...never had a ticket (knock on wood!)

I do get really annoyed with inconsiderate drivers, especially those that cut me off, tailgate, etc.

I've only had 1 ticket, for kinda doing the rolling stop thingy at a stop sign. That was 100.00, ten years ago. Can you believe that? Since then, I've been veryyyy careful!  ;)

Written By: gemini61 on 10/30/04 at 3:58 am

Bobby, and BMG, you soooooo aren't missing anything! I get tired of driving all the time. But since I live in the country, there isn't any public transportation out here, and everything is too far away to walk.  :(

Written By: Fred on 10/30/04 at 4:01 am

You really should. If public transportation works well for you then great, but later on it may be a "skill" you might really need.

Are you scared of the traffic, of driving a car with a clutch, or something else?

???
;)

That's what I was thinking Bobby. It would be a very useful skill to have, it's not like you have to use it all the time either.

But anyways, driving isn't just a way of transportation for me like for some people. It's a hobby, and a sport for me.  8) Not at the moment, but as soon as I can tackle the corners and drift like a pro.  ;D

Written By: Bobby on 10/30/04 at 6:05 am

???
;)

Er . . . Ahem . . . I'm scared of accidentally running someone over.  :-[

You are absolutely right, Zcrito. It certainly may be a skill I could really use. You never know. I may be brave enough to take the plunge eventually.

Written By: Bobby on 10/30/04 at 6:06 am

Bobby, and BMG, you soooooo aren't missing anything! I get tired of driving all the time. But since I live in the country, there isn't any public transportation out here, and everything is too far away to walk.   :(

Ah I see. We have buses running everywhere where I live and I hitch a ride with my friend to work so perhaps my motivation for driving is stifled somewhat.  :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/30/04 at 10:09 am

I'm proud to say that I regularly brake-check tailgaters.  Feel it is my duty as a law-abiding citizen.

The drivers that %$#% me off the most are people who try to pass on the right when you are in the middle lane and the left lane is wide open.  When I see these jerks approaching in my mirror, I courteously "pull over to the slow lane" so that they may pass me on the left as they should.  Then I immediately return to the center lane to tick 'em off.  ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 10/30/04 at 10:26 am

Give me a wide open, winding road a full tank, and pedal to the metal.  8)  Can't help it, the
girl can't help it!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/30/04 at 10:43 am

Haven't driven in years but I would say that I am a very nervious driver (part of the reason why I haven't driven in years). I sure many of you (if not all) are aware that I have an eye disease called Retinitis Pigmentosa (RP) which effects my pariphial and night vision. I don't know if I am nervious because of my vision or if I use my vision to pepetuate my phobia. Either way, it is probably best that I am not behind the wheel. I was in one accident but not my fault. I was hit from behind when I was stopped in traffic.

Cat

Written By: sputnikcorp on 10/30/04 at 12:28 pm

i'm a pretty good driver. i drive cab for a living so i have lot's of experiance behind the wheel. i also can drive offensively if i have too, rush hour traffic is a bitch and you can't just sit there and wait patiently for traffic to clear when money is at hand.

Written By: AL-B on 10/30/04 at 12:50 pm

I'm a pro. It's how I make my living.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/30/04 at 2:27 pm

Er . . . Ahem . . . I'm scared of accidentally running someone over.  :-[

Bobby, it's really no big deal.  I was run over by a station wagon in 1965 and here I am, no worse for wear.

Then I rolled a car in 1980 (at about 60 mph) and here I am, living to tell the story.

;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/30/04 at 2:40 pm

I'm offensively defensive....or is it defensively offensive??
Well, let's just say....I have never had a wreck...though I've had a few speeding tickets, most of which came back when the highway speed limit was that abomidable 55....great for the old foggies who think everyday is a Sunday drive. Lastly...my biggest pet peeve are the morons who fail to get OVER to the right lane and are holding up traffic.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/30/04 at 2:45 pm

I can't drive. But, as I practice now, I can see myself being a defensive driver. I curse as a passenger at the drivers on the freeway as my husband drives. Go figure.

Tanya

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/30/04 at 2:50 pm

I can't drive. But, as I practice now, I can see myself being a defensive driver. I curse as a passenger at the drivers on the freeway as my husband drives. Go figure.

Tanya
A LOT of people shouldn't be driving but do. I wish you the best with your becoming one that does belong on the roads :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/30/04 at 2:51 pm

We shall see, Mark, if I really belong on the road or if I should hire a permanent chauffeur!  ;D

Tanya

Written By: gemini61 on 10/30/04 at 2:52 pm

I'm proud to say that I regularly brake-check tailgaters.  Feel it is my duty as a law-abiding citizen.

The drivers that %$#% me off the most are people who try to pass on the right when you are in the middle lane and the left lane is wide open.  When I see these jerks approaching in my mirror, I courteously "pull over to the slow lane" so that they may pass me on the left as they should.  Then I immediately return to the center lane to tick 'em off.  ;D

;D

Written By: gemini61 on 10/30/04 at 2:57 pm

I'm offensively defensive....or is it defensively offensive??
Well, let's just say....I have never had a wreck...though I've had a few speeding tickets, most of which came back when the highway speed limit was that abomidable 55....great for the old foggies who think everyday is a Sunday drive. Lastly...my biggest pet peeve are the morons who fail to get OVER to the right lane and are holding up traffic.

How about when they pull right out in front of you, then slow down to turn into the next street up! I'm finding out by reading the posts that all the board members are perfect drivers and it's everyone else out there that can't drive  ;)  ;D

Written By: Paul on 10/30/04 at 3:23 pm

Been driving for years...no speeding (well, around these parts I know where the 'live' cameras are...!), no parking ticket and only one minor prang when I reversed into something (might've been a little old lady, I can't be sure...!!)

So...yes, reasonably good - the insurance man's dream, I'd say...

Mind you, some of the lunatics on these roads do make me wonder how much they pay the examiners to pass these days...

Written By: Bobo on 10/30/04 at 3:32 pm

Personally I'm more of a three-iron than a driver, but still...

(groans all round)

Seriously, I don't drive. I probably never will. Still being able to rely on my parents as a chauffeuring service is one of the best things in the world. And having very little muscle tone/control doesn't come in too handy either..

Then there's the whole tax job which I'm not prepared to put up with.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/30/04 at 3:37 pm

I'm finding out by reading the posts that all the board members are perfect drivers and it's everyone else out there that can't drive  ;)  ;D
I say we ALL move to a nuetral town together and kick everyone else out! That would be cool 8)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/30/04 at 3:38 pm

We shall see, Mark, if I really belong on the road or if I should hire a permanent chauffeur!  ;D

Tanya
I have faith in you being a very good driver, Tanya ;)

Written By: Paul on 10/30/04 at 4:24 pm

And having very little muscle tone/control doesn't come in too handy either..

Oh, you'd've loved the days before power-steering came as standard, Bobo...for a while I had arms like Popeye...!

Dealers should really have given lessons in how to control a car with power-steer...the first time I tried, I applied the usual hefty pull on the steering wheel and very nearly ran across next door's front lawn...!

Written By: Bobby on 10/30/04 at 5:13 pm

Bobby, it's really no big deal.  I was run over by a station wagon in 1965 and here I am, no worse for wear.

Then I rolled a car in 1980 (at about 60 mph) and here I am, living to tell the story.

;D

Well . . . You're a sturdy fella, Lyricboy. It's great that you have not been severely damaged by those incidents.  :)

Written By: gemini61 on 10/30/04 at 6:12 pm

I say we ALL move to a nuetral town together and kick everyone else out! That would be cool 8)

Ok, but I get to drive  ;D

Written By: AL-B on 10/30/04 at 7:24 pm

OK, I know I'm going out on a limb here, but I almost think that nervous and scared and timid drivers are more dangerous than drunk drivers. I have nothing but the utmost contempt for people who drive as if they're terrified of their own cars. I've had it up to here with these clowns whose idea of merging onto a busy freeway is to nervously creep down the ACCELERATION ramp at 15 mph and then come to a complete stop at the end. Stomp on the gas and get out there already!!! I'm mad as hell and I'm not gonna take it anymore! Therefore, I propose that we start a new group that will address the real problem with American drivers. I propose that we call this group P.I.S.S.D. This stands for

People
Infuriated by
Scared and
Stupid
Drivers

Who's with me on this???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/30/04 at 8:11 pm

This can be dangerous because you don't know how their brakes are going to work. If you really want to p!ss them off, start slowing down. I was a passinger in a car that had someone on our @$$. I told the driver to just slow down. He did and man did the guy behind us get all upset. I thought he was going to run us over.

Cat

Written By: zcrito on 10/30/04 at 8:22 pm

I've had it up to here with these clowns whose idea of merging onto a busy freeway is to nervously creep down the ACCELERATION ramp at 15 mph and then come to a complete stop at the end.

You're missing the point, Al. They're waiting for someone already on the freeway to come to a complete stop and allow them to merge on. And it ain't gonna happen! :)

One other comment: How many times have you gotten on the freeway, got stuck in a traffic backup, and once you've eventually moved a mile or two at 10 mph the traffic mysteriously picks up and you wonder what the problem was in the first place. A study was done and it was found most traffic backups or slow downs are caused merely by someone braking and slowing down. This one car slowing down causes a chain reaction of all the cars behind it and the result is a faux traffic backup. >:(

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/31/04 at 2:50 pm

Well . . . You're a sturdy fella, Lyricboy. It's great that you have not been severely damaged by those incidents.  :)

Heh heh... Some people said they never expected me to live to the age of 30, but I showed them.

One of these days I'll tell you about the time I almost went over a 50-foot waterfall in Canada because my canoe-mate could not read a map...  :)

Or the time I had to pull a knife on 4 guys who were hassling a 74-year-old man (my Dad)...

Or... well, you get the drift.  I ought to write a book some day.  ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 10/31/04 at 6:58 pm

OK, I know I'm going out on a limb here, but I almost think that nervous and scared and timid drivers are more dangerous than drunk drivers. I have nothing but the utmost contempt for people who drive as if they're terrified of their own cars. I've had it up to here with these clowns whose idea of merging onto a busy freeway is to nervously creep down the ACCELERATION ramp at 15 mph and then come to a complete stop at the end. Stomp on the gas and get out there already!!! I'm mad as hell and I'm not gonna take it anymore! Therefore, I propose that we start a new group that will address the real problem with American drivers. I propose that we call this group P.I.S.S.D. This stands for

People
Infuriated by
Scared and
Stupid
Drivers

Who's with me on this???

I'm in 8)

Written By: Bobby on 10/31/04 at 7:02 pm

Heh heh... Some people said they never expected me to live to the age of 30, but I showed them.

One of these days I'll tell you about the time I almost went over a 50-foot waterfall in Canada because my canoe-mate could not read a map...  :)

Or the time I had to pull a knife on 4 guys who were hassling a 74-year-old man (my Dad)...

Or... well, you get the drift.  I ought to write a book some day.   ;D

All this stuff has happened to you, Lyricboy? Incredible! Glad to hear your defending your dad against nasty blokes.

Do you consider yourself a brave man or a hapless man?  :)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/31/04 at 10:30 pm

How about when they pull right out in front of you, then slow down to turn into the next street up!

Oh boy, this is one of my biggest pet-peeves with drivers!  I see so many people doing this...and without even bothering to signal!!!  >:(

I'm finding out by reading the posts that all the board members are perfect drivers and it's everyone else out there that can't drive  ;)  ;D

;D  ;)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/31/04 at 10:36 pm

Oh, you'd've loved the days before power-steering came as standard, Bobo...for a while I had arms like Popeye...!

;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/31/04 at 11:07 pm

Ok, but I get to drive  ;D
;D Okay, but I get to ride up front with You :)

Written By: karen on 11/01/04 at 5:15 am

I think I'm an o.k. driver but I could be better.  I get distracted easily and then accidently ease off the accelerator and start slowing down.  I also don't like driving on busy motorways where you are constantly having to pull out to overtake lorries.  I don't like middle lane hoggers but sometimes it's the only way to get along.

I've had one speeding ticket.  I blame my husbands car!  It's way too powerful for me, I put my foot down to pull out into some traffic and suddenly I'm well over the speed limit!

The other day I think I drove through a red light at a pedestrian crossing  :o  The car behind me came through as well!

Written By: gemini61 on 11/01/04 at 5:30 am

;D Okay, but I get to ride up front with You :)

That would have been fine, until I saw your newest avatar!!  ;) 

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/01/04 at 8:15 am

All this stuff has happened to you, Lyricboy? Incredible! Glad to hear your defending your dad against nasty blokes.

Do you consider yourself a brave man or a hapless man?  :)

I think the appropriate adjective would be lucky.

;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 11/01/04 at 11:30 am

That would have been fine, until I saw your newest avatar!!  ;) 
It's changed....you know me, another day, another avatar :D

Written By: gemini61 on 11/01/04 at 11:56 am

It's changed....you know me, another day, another avatar :D

Ok, that's much better!  ;) Front seat for you, Mark!!  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/01/04 at 1:00 pm

I really hate when people brake and THEN turn on their turn signal. The turn signal is supposed to let people know that you are going to be braking because you are turning. It kind of defeats the purpose if they brake and then turn it on.

Cat

Written By: RockandRollFan on 11/01/04 at 3:20 pm

I really hate when people brake and THEN turn on their turn signal. The turn signal is supposed to let people know that you are going to be braking because you are turning. It kind of defeats the purpose if they brake and then turn it on.

Cat
I hate when they don't use them at all. One time I was behind a guy and we were both headed to Wal-Mart....I parked and he got out of his truck so I said "Hey, did you know that you're turn signal is broken?"....he flipped me off ;D 

Written By: gemini61 on 11/01/04 at 5:05 pm

I'm afraid to say anything or flip anyone off.  There are too many people out there with way more road rage than me! They might decide I'm the last person that's going to p*ss them off that day and whip out a gun!  :o

Written By: Bobby on 11/01/04 at 6:25 pm

I'm afraid to say anything or flip anyone off.  There are too many people out there with way more road rage than me! They might decide I'm the last person that's going to p*ss them off that day and whip out a gun!  :o

Like that man D Fens out of 'Falling down'.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 11/01/04 at 7:59 pm

Yeah well, he flipped ME off...but I suppose I was lucky that's all he did :-\\

Written By: KimberIndy on 11/02/04 at 12:20 am

I am a very careful driver. I ferry around other people's children for a living, so I figure it's in my best interest to be cautious. I've never gotten any sort of ticket. I've been involved in a few wrecks, but they weren't my fault. All in all, I prefer to be the passenger rather than the driver.

Written By: jackas on 11/28/05 at 8:12 pm

I'm a cautious driver, but I do drive a little fast.  I waste a lot of gas because I don't accelerate slowly, something that was really bothering me a few months ago. ;)

Written By: whistledog on 11/28/05 at 8:13 pm

I am a very cautious driver, and yet still a relatively new one.  I don't have a full driver's license yet ... I'm too lazy to take the final test  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/28/05 at 8:15 pm

well...I've never been in an accident (knock on wood)...and I've never received a speeding ticket (knock on wood, again).....so, I presume that I am a decent driver.

Written By: loki 13 on 11/28/05 at 8:38 pm

I live in an area that is said to have the worst drivers
in the United states.I live in South Jersey but work
in Philadelphia and so far i haven't had any accidents
in 27 years of driving so I must be doing something right.
Or am I just lucky?

Written By: ktelqueen on 11/28/05 at 10:28 pm

i am a non-driver :D

Written By: whistledog on 11/28/05 at 11:30 pm

i am a non-driver :D

I used to be scared to drive also.  I only decided to get my license for I.D. purposes.  I got sick of people asking to see I.D. so I could buy Lotto tickets, and movies rated 14A  ;D

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/28/05 at 11:49 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: whistledog on 11/28/05 at 11:54 pm

And how old do they think you are?!

Well, last year, at Blockbuster, The store clerk wouldn't let me buy a movie that was Rated 14A unless I could show proof of ID.  The lady said that I didn't look like I was 14 years old.  It was like a slap in the face  :(

Check for new replies or respond here...