inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is it just me? Or...

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/31/04 at 2:57 pm

OK now maybe I have gone off the deep end with this, but I gotta ask my revered board members for their opinion on this one.

Is is just me?  Or does it bother the rest of you when you see one of those people in a crowded grocery store who absolutely have to stand to the side of the grocery cart and PULL it, rather than stand behind it and PUSH it with the ergonomically-designed handle, so graciously provided by the cart manufacturer?

I just got back from the grocery store.  'Twas a busy day, and I bet I got delayed 8 to 10 times because people were clogging the aisle this way.  If they had stood BEHIND the cart as God intended them to, there would be plenty of room for people to pass them in the aisle and go on with their business.  Instead they take twice the width and there is gridlock.

What's next?  Carts with a handle built onto the sides?  ???

Subject: Re: Is it just me? Or...

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/31/04 at 4:20 pm

I am one of those people. I think you have just lost your mind!  ;D Sometimes I have to do so. Maybe a hobby is in the works for you.  ;D

Tanya

Written By: zcrito on 10/31/04 at 4:32 pm

OK now maybe I have gone off the deep end with this, but I gotta ask my revered board members for their opinion on this one.

Is is just me?  Or does it bother the rest of you when you see one of those people in a crowded grocery store who absolutely have to stand to the side of the grocery cart and PULL it, rather than stand behind it and PUSH it with the ergonomically-designed handle, so graciously provided by the cart manufacturer?

I just got back from the grocery store.  'Twas a busy day, and I bet I got delayed 8 to 10 times because people were clogging the aisle this way.  If they had stood BEHIND the cart as God intended them to, there would be plenty of room for people to pass them in the aisle and go on with their business.  Instead they take twice the width and there is gridlock.

What's next?  Carts with a handle built onto the sides?  ???

Bad day?
I bet you just had a shopping cart with one bad wheel. If you didn't and had a cart with 4 good wheels the problems you describe become sort of an obstacle course and a chance to show everyone your shopping cart driving skills. You should see me in the large stores, I'm zipping up and down aisles like crazy while listening to the funky music being played overhead.

;)

Written By: Bobby on 10/31/04 at 7:15 pm

Lol. Sorry to hear of your 'trial by shopping', Lyricboy.

I rarely go shopping (in a supermarket anyway). My girl does that for me. My job is to take the bags from the car down the steps to the house - who says blokes are useless?  ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/31/04 at 7:32 pm

Lol. Sorry to hear of your 'trial by shopping', Lyricboy.

I rarely go shopping (in a supermarket anyway). My girl does that for me. My job is to take the bags from the car down the steps to the house - who says blokes are useless?  ;D

Where I shop it's one of those super-mega-discount stores.  Jammed with people most of whom don't really have the desire to be courteous or nice.  The mood in the place is much like the movie "Mad Max"... every man for himself in that desolate, soulless place.

But it's cheap, so everyone endures the indignities in search of the Almighty Dollar.  :P

Written By: Bobby on 10/31/04 at 7:49 pm

Where I shop it's one of those super-mega-discount stores.  Jammed with people most of whom don't really have the desire to be courteous or nice.  The mood in the place is much like the movie "Mad Max"... every man for himself in that desolate, soulless place.

But it's cheap, so everyone endures the indignities in search of the Almighty Dollar.  :P

Oh I get you. We have mega-discount stores like Aldi and Lidl. I used to shop at Lidl sometimes when I was on the dole but it was quite souless. The way the food was stacked had something to do with it. Usually, stores stack everything neatly on shelves and stuff but Lidl goes for the warehouse approach.

Written By: gemini61 on 11/01/04 at 7:22 pm

You think it's bad shopping in a grocery store? Try working in one. When I was a cashier in a grocery store, we had to put up with some pretty annoying stuff. Like the mom who lets the baby chew on something in the cart, just for the cashier to have to pick it up with all the spit and slobber all over it, yuck! Or the cell phone talker who doesn't even acknowledge that you are standing there, and has a long conversation while your trying to get them to pay, while people are waiting in line. Or they leave their nasty kleenex or whatever in the cart. There's more but I could go on all night!  :(

Written By: Howard on 11/01/04 at 9:01 pm

Would it make it easier to do your shopping online instead of having to deal with the crap the grocery store? ???

Howard

Written By: KimberIndy on 11/02/04 at 12:11 am

Pokey shoppers who don't abide by the grocery store rules of the road annoy the crap out of me! That's why I tend to shop late at night in one of our many 24-hour grocery stores. I usually have to pop in once during the week to get things I can't usually get a 3 AM (like deli items), and I try to time my daylight visits when I think that there won't be too many folks there.

Written By: zcrito on 11/02/04 at 12:23 am

Pokey shoppers who don't abide by the grocery store rules of the road annoy the crap out of me! That's why I tend to shop late at night in one of our many 24-hour grocery stores.

Years ago when I worked 3rd shift, I too use to go to the grocery after 12am on one of my days off. I was still on 3rd shift time when I wasn't working. Shopping in a Wal-mart like store at 2:30am is one weird feeling.
:D

Written By: fragswife on 11/02/04 at 12:30 am

Would it make it easier to do your shopping online instead of having to deal with the crap the grocery store? ???

Hear, hear!!

Written By: danootaandme on 11/02/04 at 8:00 am

Who are the people who think it necessary to push around kids 6 and 7 years old in a cart.  I saw a couple who had two carts, one with 2 kids and one with food.  Now they have the carts the have the little race car seat for bigger kids.  You gotta be kidding me.  ???

Written By: Gis on 11/02/04 at 9:09 am

Well my supermarket bugbears are the people who leave their trolleys in the middle of the aisle, often at an angle, blocking everybody elses way whilst they browse the shelves.
My other is living in the wonderful university city that I do you get lots of students,students who buy a loaf of bread or a carton of milk and then take half an hour trying to decide how to pay only to end up writing out a cheque for it !?!
Finally it's the person behind you in a queue who is SO eager for you to finish they have their trolley rammed up against the back of your legs like they are trying to push you through.

Written By: Alchoholica on 11/02/04 at 9:56 am

Oh I get you. We have mega-discount stores like Aldi and Lidl. I used to shop at Lidl sometimes when I was on the dole but it was quite souless. The way the food was stacked had something to do with it. Usually, stores stack everything neatly on shelves and stuff but Lidl goes for the warehouse approach.

Slightly off topic but odd none the less... my mate Jonathon got a Tattoo on his arm with none other than the word Lidl in large type face from elbow to wrist... strange chap..

Check for new replies or respond here...