inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Amazing Day

Written By: Alchoholica on 11/12/04 at 11:06 am

Well folks, today i quit school.

I didn't say im never coming in again, i just surruptitiously disapeared. Anyway my mother, although not too pleased is ok with it, i have basic qualifications and am going to continue some advanced ones at my own Leisure.

Anyway i already have 3 interviews. One of them with a sports agency which would be awesome. I am fully aware my chances of getting anything decent are slim, but it is very encourageing that in 30 Minuets i have 3 interviews. So i will be busy next week.

Anyway, thought it would share that, i figure it's time i got a good break, iv'e had enough tough ones recently.

Subject: Re: Amazing Day

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/12/04 at 1:10 pm

Make sure it's a break, not forever! Or else, I'll find you.  ;)  ;D

Tanya

Written By: Alchoholica on 11/12/04 at 2:07 pm

Hmm... sounds alright  ;)

Written By: Apricot on 11/12/04 at 3:34 pm

Like she said, don't quit. Or you'll forever be branded a quitter! *holds up branding iron*

Written By: gemini61 on 11/12/04 at 5:11 pm

Well folks, today i quit school.

I didn't say im never coming in again, i just surruptitiously disapeared. Anyway my mother, although not too pleased is ok with it, i have basic qualifications and am going to continue some advanced ones at my own Leisure.

Anyway i already have 3 interviews. One of them with a sports agency which would be awesome. I am fully aware my chances of getting anything decent are slim, but it is very encourageing that in 30 Minuets i have 3 interviews. So i will be busy next week.

Anyway, thought it would share that, i figure it's time i got a good break, iv'e had enough tough ones recently.

Do you mean you quit High School or College? I don't know how old you are, that's why I asked.  :-\\  If you mean you quit High School, I hope you're going to try to get a diploma sometime in the future. But, good luck to you, whatever you decide to do!  :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/12/04 at 7:29 pm

Alcoholica...

Best wishes with the job interviews.

That said, do not delay in finishing your education, like at night school !  I know of too many people who let their education slip, who "intended" to finish it, and who now regret that they didn't.

As somebody said recently (I do not remember who), "Beauty is skin deep, but dumb goes all the way through". 

From your posts here I know you are a smart person...

Written By: RockandRollFan on 11/12/04 at 9:35 pm

Whatever you decide to do with your life, I wish you only the best ;)

Written By: Howard on 11/12/04 at 9:49 pm

I wish you the best. :)

Howard

Written By: Alchoholica on 11/13/04 at 4:16 am

Right in answer to everyones questions.

I have 6 GCSE's and will soon have 7, that is equivilant to a perfectly good high school diploma (although my english skills dont show it)

I am going to do something called an A-Level in Night school.. an A-Level is like between a High school diploma and a college degree and you usually do 3 of them, they are basically the way you get to college here, not on an SAT and daddy's purse strings.  ;)

Anyway, i have found out i can get through like one of those in a year, and i am going to do two. Politics & History.

I have also been told by a friend that the company she works for.. British Telecom (basically a very big Communications company) are taking on apprentices from January through until like May, and there is a Business Management apprenticeship.
I stand a good chance of getting on it once i have my Maths GCSE, because, not to blow my own trumpet  ;) but I am articulate, well spoken, (clever in an interesting way, my problem with things is that i know about them but i stuggle to put them down on paper you know) and then I am referenced to the hilt, several of my teachers were disapoiinted that i was leaving because they enjoyed teaching me, i was an excellent contributor in class, but basically my test results and essays were just awful.

Anyway don't worry i am gonna cintinue Education, but in a way that suits me, not in a way that suits 'The Man' ;)

Written By: danootaandme on 11/13/04 at 7:15 am

I stand a good chance of getting on it once i have my Maths GCSE, because, not to blow my own trumpet  ;) but I am articulate, well spoken, (clever in an interesting way, my problem with things is that i know about them but i stuggle to put them down on paper you know) and then I am referenced to the hilt, several of my teachers were disapoiinted that i was leaving because they enjoyed teaching me, i was an excellent contributor in class, but basically my test results and essays were just awful.

I know exactly what you mean.  Sounds like my school years.  I think the way your're going is probably the best, since you already have credentials on the High School level.  A-levels sound like a junior college type of thing.  I, too, am much better verbalizing than trying to write out my thoughts, once I got into a work situation it was much better than the school setting, although I do like academia and wouldn't
mind taking a couple of courses here and there.  Good luck!!!! :)

Written By: Bobby on 11/13/04 at 7:32 am

Nice to see that you are making your own way in this world the way you want to, Alchoholica - best of luck.  :)

Doing an A-level or two will certainly help you and good luck with those interviews.

I have 6 GCSE's (first important exams) Grade C or above (C is the level you need to pass, B is excellent and A is the top mark) and two A levels (secondary important, but optional, exams) at D (which is good but could have been much better - circumstances dictated otherwise I'm afraid).

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/13/04 at 7:42 am

Right in answer to everyones questions.

I have 6 GCSE's and will soon have 7, that is equivilant to a perfectly good high school diploma (although my english skills dont show it)

Hmm... I never noticed anything wrong with your English.  Seems to me that you post in "Colonial English" instead of "The King's English", which is just fine for those of us who are Yanks.

;D

Written By: Bobby on 11/13/04 at 8:09 am

Hmm... I never noticed anything wrong with your English.  Seems to me that you post in "Colonial English" instead of "The King's English", which is just fine for those of us who are Yanks.

;D

Excuse my ignorance, Lyricboy boy what is 'Colonial' and 'The King's' english?  :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/13/04 at 8:26 am

Excuse my ignorance, Lyricboy boy what is 'Colonial' and 'The King's' english?  :)

"The King's English" is a term used in America (maybe in UK too?) to refer to a very formal, "proper" way of speaking and sentence structure.  Sort of snooty.  Like when you are talking, never ending a sentence with a preposition.

"Colonial English" is more like we Yanks talk.  More informal...

Here is an old joke to explain the difference.

A young mill worker stops off at the local bar after a long day's work.  He spots a beautiful, obviously wealthy young lass at the bar and walks up to her.  "Hey baby, where are you from?", he asks.  She replies, "Well, where I come from we do not end sentences in a preposition," then turns away.

Not to be rebuffed, the worker taps on her shoulder and says "Pardon my error, miss.  Where are you from, B*TCH!".

Written By: Alchoholica on 11/15/04 at 11:53 am

Yes Colonial English is my fortee (ok that must be a typo)..

Well i have an interview tomorrow and another on wednesday, my father has expressed an interest in me taking over the office side of his business but it is very small and i just wouldn't be earning near enough.

Written By: Bobby on 11/15/04 at 6:27 pm

"The King's English" is a term used in America (maybe in UK too?) to refer to a very formal, "proper" way of speaking and sentence structure.  Sort of snooty.  Like when you are talking, never ending a sentence with a preposition.

"Colonial English" is more like we Yanks talk.  More informal...

Here is an old joke to explain the difference.

A young mill worker stops off at the local bar after a long day's work.  He spots a beautiful, obviously wealthy young lass at the bar and walks up to her.  "Hey baby, where are you from?", he asks.  She replies, "Well, where I come from we do not end sentences in a preposition," then turns away.

Not to be rebuffed, the worker taps on her shoulder and says "Pardon my error, miss.  Where are you from, B*TCH!".

Ah it's two words to describe formal and informal speech - thanks Lyricboy.

I write the 'Kings English' (mainly) while writing but it is a different world to the way I speak.  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...