inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite Books from Childhood

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/22/04 at 12:16 pm

Carlos and I had a very nice visit with the baby this weekend. For a kid who is just over a year old, she seems to love books. So Carlos and I figured on getting her books that we loved from our childhood to give to her for Christmas.

I just thought that this would be a great topic of discussion. Some of my favorites:

Ann Likes Red
Barney Beagle (I looked for this one and cheapest I found it was $33  :o)
The books about Jenny Linsky (I also looked for School for Cats which was even more $$ than Barney Beagle  :o :o)
Mr. Pine's Mixed up Signs
(Of course) Green Eggs and Ham

I'll probably add to this list.

Cat

Subject: Re: Favorite Books from Childhood

Written By: karen on 11/22/04 at 12:20 pm

The Very Hungry Caterpillar

Meg and Mog

Miffy the Rabbit

Written By: Harmonica on 11/22/04 at 12:25 pm

I always enjoyed Little Critter and Frog and Toad

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 11/22/04 at 3:19 pm

Curious George  :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/22/04 at 4:38 pm

Childhood: Dr. Seuss and the Ramona books

Adolescence: Everything by Judy Blue (especially "Forever" and "Are you there, God? It's me, Margaret"), Sweet Valley High novels, and The Babysitters Club.

Tanya

Written By: danootaandme on 11/22/04 at 5:05 pm

I Decided- (something I have never done)
Nancy Drew
The Gold Key
The Uncanny Bear
Scrambled Eggs Super

Written By: Howard on 11/22/04 at 7:35 pm

Grover-There's a Monster At The End Of This Book.

Howard

Written By: Bobby on 11/22/04 at 8:10 pm

The Very Hungry Caterpillar

Meg and Mog

Miffy the Rabbit

I remember reading all those, Karen - plus I couldn't get enough of those Mr Men books.

I started reading comics at the age of 9 until I was about 12 (Whoopee, Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Big Comic Fortnightly) and I still have a lot of them (mind, some have been battered about a bit but the fact they are still with me is a minor miracle).

Written By: Billy Florio on 11/23/04 at 1:54 am

Hop on pop
Yurtle the Turtle (and other stories)
Green eggs and Ham
Primary Colors

ok, that last one was a joke lol

Written By: karen on 11/23/04 at 4:45 am

I remember reading all those, Karen - plus I couldn't get enough of those Mr Men books.

I started reading comics at the age of 9 until I was about 12 (Whoopee, Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Big Comic Fortnightly) and I still have a lot of them (mind, some have been battered about a bit but the fact they are still with me is a minor miracle).

I was trying to think of 'first' books that I'd liked.  Given that the target audience is one year old I wasn't sure she would appreciate Winnie the Pooh or The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe.

We used to read a whole host of comics every week in our house.  My grandad used to bring us one each on his Sunday visit and we had some that were delivered every week.  I used to have Playhour comic and then progressed to The Brownie and then Todays Guide from my grandad. My brothers had TV Favourites and The Beano.  We had Look and Learn, Tiger (which merged with others to be, variously, Tiger and Sport and Tiger and Speed) and Battle comics delivered.  I can only remember having Jackie delivered but must have had something before this.  Sadly none of us collected any of these, except perhaps Look and Learn to help with school projects.  One brother did collect all the Beano annuals he had from about 1970 or so.

Written By: ktelqueen on 11/23/04 at 4:48 am

great topic..

Little Golden Books
Scholastic Easy Readers
Dr. Seuss
all Curious George
Beverly Cleary
Bobbsey Twins
Nancy Drew
Trixie Belden
Judy Blume

in particular:The Teeny Tiny Woman and I Can Do Anything,Almost

Written By: mandamoo on 11/23/04 at 4:50 am

My favourite is The Magic Pudding by Norman Lindsay  :)

Written By: conker on 11/23/04 at 7:38 am

Harold and the Purple Crayon, which I loved especailly when I got to read it to my kids.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/23/04 at 10:04 am

Hop on pop
Yurtle the Turtle (and other stories)
Green eggs and Ham
Primary Colors

ok, that last one was a joke lol

I remember Yurtle the Turtle. Another one to add to my list, Dr. Suess "The Snitches and other stories" That's the one that has "Too Many Daves" in it.

Cat

Written By: onaree on 11/23/04 at 10:39 am

Howard

I LOVED this book!  I kept hoping that there would be a monster at the end. 

I loved the Judy Blume books.
Ramona Quimby, Henry Huggins, Encyclopedia Brown and Fudge were also some favorite characters. 

Pooh, Stuart Little, and Charlotte's Web are all good, too.

One of my other favorites was Courderoy Bear.  He lost the button off his overalls and had to find it.  It was such a good story. 

Written By: karen on 11/23/04 at 11:03 am

I remember Yurtle the Turtle. Another one to add to my list, Dr. Suess "The Snitches and other stories" That's the one that has "Too Many Daves" in it.

Cat

That'll be The Sneetches ....

Did I ever tell you about Mrs. McCave
who had twenty-three sons and named them all Dave?
well she did and that wasn't the smart thing to do
because whenever she wanted one and called out "Yoo hoo
come into the house Dave" she didn't get one
all twenty-three Daves of hers came at the run

etc etc

Written By: ktelqueen on 11/23/04 at 11:05 am

i guess i could have done this originally..this is a page from my website featuring some of my fave books from my childhood  :)

http://www.geocities.com/ktelqueen/books.html

Written By: NullandVoid on 11/23/04 at 4:13 pm

I am such a Bookworm, my child hood booklist is long, but here are my faves:

Where the wild things are
The Cat in the Hat
Ferdinand the bull(I'm not sure if that's the title though)
Amelia Bedelia
Anything by Richard Scarry
and SUPERFUDGE!!

Written By: Howard on 11/23/04 at 6:05 pm

http://www.geocities.com/ktelqueen/CmEQq1WOmObY8VEjutJR7EEjwgD5JY7IeZz1qRDFMyW.jpg

I remember this.^

I can't remember a book that had a boy who had landed in a huge pot of soup and was floating in air and was dreaming. ???

Howard

Written By: Bobby on 11/23/04 at 6:30 pm

I was trying to think of 'first' books that I'd liked.  Given that the target audience is one year old I wasn't sure she would appreciate Winnie the Pooh or The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe.

Ah yes. They may be a little too deep for your child perhaps? Nice bold piccy books are great.

We used to read a whole host of comics every week in our house.  My grandad used to bring us one each on his Sunday visit and we had some that were delivered every week.  I used to have Playhour comic and then progressed to The Brownie and then Todays Guide from my grandad. My brothers had TV Favourites and The Beano.  We had Look and Learn, Tiger (which merged with others to be, variously, Tiger and Sport and Tiger and Speed) and Battle comics delivered.  I can only remember having Jackie delivered but must have had something before this.  Sadly none of us collected any of these, except perhaps Look and Learn to help with school projects.  One brother did collect all the Beano annuals he had from about 1970 or so.

The Beano was a comic I occassionally got (it has changed considerably since I bought it about 15 years ago). Do you remember a comic called Twinkle? I used to read a comic strip in it called The Blobs featuring creations such as Inky Black and Fizzy Orange. They made their way onto childrens TV in the late 90s.

Written By: Howard on 11/23/04 at 6:43 pm

Freckle Juice-Judy Blume

Howard

Written By: nally on 11/23/04 at 7:05 pm

Lots of them! I could start...

Dr. Seuss books:
* The Cat In The Hat
* The Cat In The Hat Comes Back
* Hop On Pop
* Fox In Socks
* ABC book
* and more...

Beverly Cleary books:
* Henry Huggins
* Henry & Ribsy
* Ramona the Brave
* Henry & Beezus
* and more...

Miscellaneous...
* Charlotte's Web (in addition, I saw a play at the Henry Fonda Theatre in Hollywood when I was in third grade)
* Wayside School
* and the list goes on...

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/23/04 at 8:18 pm

I totally forgot about Nancy Drew!!!! I also loved Laura Ingalls Wilder and her Little House on the Prairie books.

Tanya

Written By: Hairspray on 11/23/04 at 11:29 pm

I enjoyed these Illustrated Classics very much:

The Count of Monte Cristo
Many of the stories by Edgar Allan Poe
Moby dip
The Tale of Two Cities
David Copperfield
Oliver Twist
Tom Sawyer
Huckleberry Finn

Modified to add: Ooops! I guess I should have gone "younger" with the books. I remember liking any and all storybooks which contained a 45 (record) included which narrated the story with the magical sounding bell at the turning of the page. :)

Written By: nally on 11/24/04 at 12:21 am

^ I read Moby "Dip" as well. (Maybe you should have written it with hyphens between the letters so it won't get censored (that is, Moby D-i-c-k, like that).)

As for a few of the others you mentioned, I didn't read them until I was in my teens.

Written By: ktelqueen on 11/24/04 at 12:26 am

I guess I should have gone "younger" with the books. I remember liking any and all storybooks which contained a 45 (record) included which narrated the story with the magical sounding bell at the turning of the page. :)

oh,the memories  :)

Written By: Hairspray on 11/24/04 at 12:54 am

oh,the memories  :)

They're a beautiful thing.  :\'( <tears of joy>  :)

Written By: Hairspray on 11/24/04 at 12:56 am

As for a few of the others you mentioned, I didn't read them until I was in my teens.

They had these kid versions that were pretty cool and easy to read:

http://i24.ebayimg.com/02/i/02/30/c8/62_1.JPG

If the image goes bye-bye:

Written By: karen on 11/24/04 at 5:07 am

Do you remember a comic called Twinkle? I used to read a comic strip in it called The Blobs featuring creations such as Inky Black and Fizzy Orange. They made their way onto childrens TV in the late 90s.

My friend used to have Twinkle comic.  I only had it as a treat or something if I was at home ill.  I wanted to be in the Twinkle club but my mum wouldn't let me join  :\'(  I can't really remember any of the characters in it though.

Written By: Bobby on 11/24/04 at 5:55 am

My friend used to have Twinkle comic.  I only had it as a treat or something if I was at home ill.  I wanted to be in the Twinkle club but my mum wouldn't let me join  :\'(  I can't really remember any of the characters in it though.

Apart from The Blobs, the only thing I remember in it was a cut-out section where you dressed these girls with various clothes using fold-in tabs (I seem to know too much about these girlie mags lol).

Written By: danootaandme on 11/24/04 at 4:15 pm

Harold and the Purple Crayon, which I loved especailly when I got to read it to my kids.

I love Harold and the Purple Crayon.  He had a couple of other adventures, too.  I never
heard of him until someone bought them for my (used to be) little one.  One of those books
that let's your imagination go wild.

Written By: Lanie on 11/24/04 at 5:47 pm

Where The Wild Things Are

Shel Silverstein:
Where the Sidewalk Ends
A Light in the Attic
The Giving Tree

Anything by Judy Blume
Sweet Valley High books

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 11/24/04 at 6:23 pm

"Frances" (the lil porcupine) books

Leo Leoni books (narrated by CAROL CHANNING!)

Dr. Seuss books

"Little Miss/ Mr."  books

"Bluebird"  books

"Fat, fat Calico Cat"

(When i was a little older:)
Shel Silverstein books

"Wayside Stories"

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 11/24/04 at 6:28 pm

I shoulda read everybody's BEFORE i posted, cuz I forgot:

Frog & Toad
The Hungry Caterpillar
Curious George
Corduroy

Written By: Howard on 11/24/04 at 7:40 pm

I enjoyed these Illustrated Classics very much:

The Count of Monte Cristo
Many of the stories by Edgar Allan Poe
Moby dip
The Tale of Two Cities
David Copperfield
Oliver Twist
Tom Sawyer
Huckleberry Finn

Modified to add: Ooops! I guess I should have gone "younger" with the books. I remember liking any and all storybooks which contained a 45 (record) included which narrated the story with the magical sounding bell at the turning of the page. :)

Oh yeah I remember that.A bell went off and a guy or girl said "Time To Turn The Page".  ;D

Howard

Written By: nally on 11/25/04 at 12:55 am

"Little Miss/ Mr."  books

Oh yes...I almost forgot about those! There was Mr. Happy, Mr. Greedy, Mr. Nosey, Mr. Dizzy, among others...as well as Little Miss Chatterbox, Little Miss Sunshine, Little Miss Magic, to name a few.

Written By: nally on 11/25/04 at 12:58 am

Shel Silverstein:
Where the Sidewalk Ends
A Light in the Attic
The Giving Tree

I have those books; they're fun to read at any age. In fact, I was at least 10 or 11 when I got A Light In The Attic. Shel Silverstien wrote a lot of interesting poems.

Written By: Billy Florio on 11/25/04 at 2:14 am

I have those books; they're fun to read at any age. In fact, I was at least 10 or 11 when I got A Light In The Attic. Shel Silverstien wrote a lot of interesting poems.

as well as some incredably dirty ones

Written By: karen on 11/25/04 at 4:34 am

My daughter has some of these but with a CD instead!  A couple are classic fairy tales (Puss in Boots and SNow White) and she also has Fox in Socks read by Rik Mayall (I think, could be Ade Edmondson!).

Written By: Hairspray on 11/25/04 at 4:49 am

My daughter has some of these but with a CD instead! 

Yet another reminder of just how much times have changed. :o

Written By: karen on 11/25/04 at 5:05 am

My daughter has some of these but with a CD instead!

Yet another reminder of just how much times have changed. :o

I only posted that to make everyone feel old  j/k

I never had any story books with a 45 record, all mine had cassettes.  Maybe I had the second generation and the CD is the third? 

Written By: Mangoo on 11/25/04 at 8:52 am

I loved those Choose Your Own Adventure books,Hardy boys.

Written By: Stompgal on 11/25/04 at 10:13 am

Usually books by Roald Dahl, Enid Blyton and Jacqueline Wilson when I was younger. I liked the Malory Towers series, although I only read one book.

Written By: nally on 11/25/04 at 12:48 pm

Usually books by Roald Dahl, Enid Blyton and Jacqueline Wilson when I was younger. I liked the Malory Towers series, although I only read one book.

I loved reading Roald Dahl's books, especially Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (which was based on the movie Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory) and its sequel, Charlie and the Glass Elevator. James and the Giant Peach was good too. When I was about 10 or 11 my mom and I would read some of these books aloud together.

Written By: Bobby on 11/25/04 at 7:24 pm

Oh yes...I almost forgot about those! There was Mr. Happy, Mr. Greedy, Mr. Nosey, Mr. Dizzy, among others...as well as Little Miss Chatterbox, Little Miss Sunshine, Little Miss Magic, to name a few.

Yes, the Roger Hargreaves books were brilliant (the tv show was narrated by the inimitable 'Captain Mainwaring' Arthur Lowe) and I envied someone at school because he had the full set of books.

Those 'choose your own adventure' books by Steve Jackson were incredible. Having to flick multiple pages to the proper event, I used to cheat sometimes and would go back to my previous page if I died.  ;D The illustrations were very detailed.

Written By: Howard on 11/25/04 at 9:02 pm

I loved those Choose Your Own Adventure books,Hardy boys.

I still have MY Choose Your Own Adventure Books. :)

Howard

Written By: nally on 11/25/04 at 9:10 pm

Those 'choose your own adventure' books by Steve Jackson were incredible. Having to flick multiple pages to the proper event, I used to cheat sometimes and would go back to my previous page if I died. ;D The illustrations were very detailed.

Howard

I used to have some too! They were lots of fun; you had to make decisions during the story. If you want to do this, turn to page 33. If you want to do that, turn to page 87. Whoever thought up that idea was really clever.

Written By: Allie Fox on 11/26/04 at 3:08 pm

A few of my favorites:

Never Tease a Weasel
A Fly Went By
Fortunately
Frog and Toad are Friends
The Cat in the Hat Comes Back
Richard Scarry's Cars and Trucks and Things that Go

Anything from the Random House Step Up Book series.  The titles were mostly, "Meet. . ." Abraham Lincoln or the Pilgrim Fathers.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/26/04 at 7:45 pm

Where The Wild Things Are

Shel Silverstein:
Where the Sidewalk Ends
A Light in the Attic
The Giving Tree

Anything by Judy Blume
Sweet Valley High books

When I was student teaching, as a good-bye gift, they gave me "The Giving Tree" and all the kids (a few teachers) signed it.  :)

Cat

Written By: Bobby on 11/26/04 at 7:50 pm

Howard

I used to have some too! They were lots of fun; you had to make decisions during the story. If you want to do this, turn to page 33. If you want to do that, turn to page 87. Whoever thought up that idea was really clever.

Very clever. The detailed Steve Jackson books used to have inventory pages and all sorts. All you needed were the dice and a pencil! I remember a book called 'Temple of Terror' and you had to collect all the dragon artefacts. Pardon me if I drift off into a nostalgic haze . . .  ::)

Written By: Howard on 11/26/04 at 8:11 pm

Charlie Brown Encyclopedias

Howard

Written By: nally on 11/26/04 at 8:15 pm

I have a set of Charlie Brown Cyclopedias too! I've had them since childhood, although I didn't read them in detail too much until I was about 11 or 12; I found them very educational and informative.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 11/27/04 at 8:45 am

They had these kid versions that were pretty cool and easy to read:

If the image goes bye-bye:

Oh wow - I had every single one of those in that pic.  What memories. And growing up reading them made me love them enough to graduate to the "grown up" versions later.

I also grew up on

Nancy Drew
Hardy Boys
Trixie Belden
Bobbsy Twins
Secret Seven
Famous Five
Snugglepot & Cuddlepie
Mr Men series
Noddy
Peanuts
Archie
What Katy Did and the sequels
Little Women and sequels
Five Little Peppers

Anything by Judy Blume and Enid Blyton and Louisa May Alcott.  And my brother and I constantly swapped books so I also loved Robert Louie Stevenson, Mark Twain and similar boys own adventure stuff.

And I had a lot of my mums books from the 50's and early 60's - lots of horsey adventures and girls boarding school type adventures.  (My mum went to boarding school and rode horses !).

Written By: nally on 11/29/04 at 3:38 pm

Some more...
Books by Robert Kimmel Smith:

* Mostly Michael
* Jelly Belly
* Chocolate Fever

"Mostly Michael" was about an 11-year-old boy who keeps a diary (although at first he dislikes the idea); this inspired me to start keeping one, since I like to write about stuff that goes on in my personal life. Incidentally, I was about 11 when I read the book (actually, 10 3/4), so for my 11th birthday I asked my parents to get me a blank book to use as a diary.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/29/04 at 7:34 pm

I just remembered the Mrs. Pigglewiggle books.

Cat

Written By: karen on 11/30/04 at 12:48 pm

And I had a lot of my mums books from the 50's and early 60's - lots of horsey adventures and girls boarding school type adventures.  (My mum went to boarding school and rode horses !).

BMG

She wouldn't happen to have any by an author called Elsie J Oxenham would she?  I collect her Abbey series books but have all the 'common' ones.  It's getting more difficult to pick them up at car boot sales and the like.

Written By: Bobo on 11/30/04 at 4:52 pm

I've actually still got most of the books that we had as a family when we were all younger. They included

All 43 Mr. Men books
All of the Little Miss books (I can't recall how many of these there were exactly)
All of the Puddle Lane books (Which I believe were adapted either from or into a children's TV series, and were written by Sheila McCullogh, with various illustrators. They came in five stages, each of a different colour, and progressed in reading standard..)

I can't remember anything else I read. I was usually so far ahead in reading standard to the rest of the class back when I began school that I don't remember what it was I read.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 12/01/04 at 8:31 am

"Where The Wild Things Are" by Maurice Sendak - I remember mine had a sticker on the front that proclaimed "Children's book of the year".  I think it was 1970 ?

"The Red Balloon" - as far as I remember it was about some little French kid named Pascal, who lived in Paris

All Peanuts books, for some strange reason  :)

Written By: mandamoo on 12/01/04 at 9:06 am

"The Red Balloon" - as far as I remember it was about some little French kid named Pascal, who lived in Paris

I remember reading that one ! Though you remember more about it than me  :P

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 12/01/04 at 10:33 am

BMG

She wouldn't happen to have any by an author called Elsie J Oxenham would she?  I collect her Abbey series books but have all the 'common' ones.  It's getting more difficult to pick them up at car boot sales and the like.

OMIGOD ! thats them !!  If you had asked me to name the author I would have gone blank but as soon as I saw her name I recognised it !  Yes - I have all her original hard cover Abbey series - so many of them and I love them to bits !!! 
I still spot the occassional one in second hand stores here so if you PM me a list of the ones you already own I can always keep a look out for ones you are missing - you never know what turns up !!

I do an occassional scout around as I am slowly rebuilding my Enid Blyton collection - my dad took the wrong set of boxes to the garbage tip when I moved overseas in 1988.  Threw out 3 boxes of books :(  I never did forgive him !

You know - all this chat about books is reminding me that I moved house 15 months ago and STILL the shed is filled with all my boxes of books and my bookshelves are as bare as Mother Hubbards cupboards.

Written By: karen on 12/01/04 at 11:18 am

OMIGOD ! thats them !!  If you had asked me to name the author I would have gone blank but as soon as I saw her name I recognised it !  Yes - I have all her original hard cover Abbey series - so many of them and I love them to bits !!! 
I still spot the occassional one in second hand stores here so if you PM me a list of the ones you already own I can always keep a look out for ones you are missing - you never know what turns up !!

You are joking!! what a coincidence.  I'll write out my list tonight!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/01/04 at 11:43 am

I remember the movie of this.

Cat

Written By: nally on 12/01/04 at 4:06 pm

Richard Scarry's Cars and Trucks and Things that Go

Oh, thanks for reminding me about Richard Scarry! I have had his "Best Storybook Ever" and his "Word Book" for as long as I can remember. The "Best Storybook Ever" contained some very interesting stories, like "Egg in the Hole" (a childhood favorite of mine), and several others (I can't quite remember them all right now). All these books I have packed away safely in a box.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 12/03/04 at 3:54 am

I remember the movie of this.
Cat

Me too - in Aus it was released as a "short" - the little 30 minute movies shown before the main feature.  I remember crying during it - but I cant remember why !  It must have been about 1981 or 82 that it was shown here.

You are joking!! what a coincidence. I'll write out my list tonight!

Send it over to me Karen.  I will be in Sydney between xmas and new year and there are some gorgeous second hand stores that I love plowing thru.

Written By: karen on 12/03/04 at 4:54 am

Send it over to me Karen.  I will be in Sydney between xmas and new year and there are some gorgeous second hand stores that I love plowing thru.

O.K. so I was a little optimistic on the writing the list that night.  But thanks for the offer BMG.  I will write the list over the weekend (as long as I don't forget!)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/03/04 at 11:47 am

Me too - in Aus it was released as a "short" - the little 30 minute movies shown before the main feature.  I remember crying during it - but I cant remember why !  It must have been about 1981 or 82 that it was shown here.

It was a "short". I think it came out in the early 70s and won some kind of award or something. I think I cried during it too-when the other boys "killed" the balloon.  :\'(

Cat

Written By: Mona on 12/30/04 at 6:36 am

When I was student teaching, as a good-bye gift, they gave me "The Giving Tree" and all the kids (a few teachers) signed it.  :)

Cat

That is a good book, there's another one about a tree, but I can't think of the name.  It's about the tree that was cut down to make the cross the Christ was crucified on.

Also, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.  I love this book!!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/05/05 at 11:39 pm

That is a good book, there's another one about a tree, but I can't think of the name.  It's about the tree that was cut down to make the cross the Christ was crucified on.

Also, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.  I love this book!!

WOW! I loved that ^ book too...infact, a few years ago I went and bought all of the books that I loved when I was a child and that was one of them!!!

I also loved: The King, The Mice, and The Cheese.......The Giving Tree.....The Best Loved Doll........but my all-time favorite was this Scooby Doo Mysteries book that had a compilation of scooby doo stories....and believe it or not..I found it again on Ebay and purchased it!!!

Erin :)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/05/05 at 11:53 pm

Bunnicula: A Rabbit-Tale of Mystery by Deborah Howe and James Howe

The Choose Your Own Adventure series

Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss

I still have a library book from 1986, that I "forgot to return" called The Masking of 'Ksan by Eric Wilson.  ;D

Currently reading, "The Secret of NIMH" or as it was origannly called "Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH" by Robert C. O'Brien.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/06/05 at 11:08 am

WOW! I loved that ^ book too...infact, a few years ago I went and bought all of the books that I loved when I was a child and that was one of them!!!

I also loved: The King, The Mice, and The Cheese.......The Giving Tree.....The Best Loved Doll........but my all-time favorite was this Scooby Doo Mysteries book that had a compilation of scooby doo stories....and believe it or not..I found it again on Ebay and purchased it!!!

My sister had The King, the Mice, and the Cheese. I used to "borrow" it from her all the time.

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/06/05 at 11:08 am

that is a great little children's book..I was so happy when I found it a few years ago and was able to add it to my collection once again.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/06/05 at 11:19 am

that is a great little children's book..I was so happy when I found it a few years ago and was able to add it to my collection once again.

Yeah, I should add that one, too. I am building mine. Now I have an excuse-my grand-daughter. Of course I am never too sure if I am buying these books for her or for me.  ;D

Cat

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 06/06/05 at 11:27 am

Catwoman and Quirk, you might like Roald Dahl's writing, (Norwegian writer) his stories for children are just great and quite wacky too.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/06/05 at 12:06 pm

Catwoman and Quirk, you might like Roald Dahl's writing, (Norwegian writer) his stories for children are just great and quite wacky too.

I think I have a few of his-I know I have Matilida and I have read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory when I was a kid.  I also have James and the Giant Peach but for some reason I didn't like that one too much.

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/06/05 at 1:23 pm

I think I have a few of his-I know I have Matilida and I have read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory when I was a kid.  I also have James and the Giant Peach but for some reason I didn't like that one too much.

Cat

same with me..I have read those as well...and I have seen that movie, "James and the GIant Peach"....I wasn't too crazy about that one.  Do you guys like the work of Shel Silverstein (The Giving Tree, A Light in the Attic, Where the SIdewalk Ends, etc)??

Written By: nally on 06/06/05 at 1:38 pm

same with me..I have read those as well...and I have seen that movie, "James and the Giant Peach"....I wasn't too crazy about that one.  Do you guys like the work of Shel Silverstein (The Giving Tree, A Light in the Attic, Where the SIdewalk Ends, etc)??

I've not seen the movie "James and the Giant Peach", but I read the book when I was 10.

On page 3 of this topic someone had mentioned the works of Shel Silverstein; I have three of his poetry books:

A Light In The Attic
Where The Sidewalk Ends
Falling Up

The last one mentioned, "Falling Up", the title poem of that book appears on the first page; the last line is so funny: "I got sick to my stomach and I threw down." :D :P

Written By: Kyle on 06/06/05 at 2:06 pm

Howard

I remember reading that book in second grade.  Thank God it was not in their readers :P, but my grandma had the book.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 06/06/05 at 3:08 pm

I used to make my mom read this Christmas book to me every night. I just forget what it was called.

~Beth

Written By: Alchoholica on 06/06/05 at 3:44 pm

Goooooosebumps.. wooooo.  ::)

Fear Street.. those were.. Interesting.

Horrible History.

Maps (I really did read maps)

Anything to do with Dinosaurs.. especially the books relating to the TV series 'Dinosaurs'

Loads of others.. a lot of what the school made us read, which at that age was i think 'God shall strike down upon you if you don't learn to read faster' or 'Your a bad Boy.. whatever your doing makes baby jesus cry!'

Written By: Apricot on 06/06/05 at 3:51 pm

same with me..I have read those as well...and I have seen that movie, "James and the GIant Peach"....I wasn't too crazy about that one.  Do you guys like the work of Shel Silverstein (The Giving Tree, A Light in the Attic, Where the SIdewalk Ends, etc)??

I personally can't stand Shel Silverstein... just generally sucky writing, bad poetry. Never enjoyed as a young child, either.

Written By: Alchoholica on 06/06/05 at 4:04 pm

I personally can't stand Shel Silverstein... just generally sucky writing, bad poetry. Never enjoyed as a young child, either.

Ooh Ooh i still have 'Where the sidewalk ends' it's excellent.. shame on you 'cot!

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 06/06/05 at 5:23 pm

Ooh Ooh i still have 'Where the sidewalk ends' it's excellent.. shame on you 'cot!

Ohhh yeah...that's a really good book. I like "The giving tree" as well...

~Beth

Written By: C.NOIZE on 06/06/05 at 5:28 pm

Ohhh yeah...that's a really good book. I like "The giving tree" as well...

~Beth

I never liked The Giving Tree, 'cause it made me angry and sad...two emotions that are bad enough by themselves.

Written By: jiminy on 06/06/05 at 5:56 pm

A classic
http://www.tonychor.com/archive/walter.jpg

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/06/05 at 7:02 pm

I used to make my mom read this Christmas book to me every night. I just forget what it was called.

~Beth

I thought you always made her read, "The Birthday Tree"!!!!! LOL!

Written By: Alchoholica on 06/06/05 at 7:11 pm

A classic
http://www.tonychor.com/archive/walter.jpg

Outstanding  ;D

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/067084487X.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 06/07/05 at 12:06 am

Outstanding  ;D

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/067084487X.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

YES!! ^ That was SUCH a good book!!!

~Beth

Written By: karen on 06/07/05 at 4:57 am

My two are mad on "Bumpus Jumpus Dinosaurumpus" which has a really good rhyming song feel to it.  It is illustrated well, as well.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/07/05 at 10:09 am

I have The Giving Tree-a gift from when I was student teaching and signed by all the kids (and some of the teachers). It is something that I charish. I like Shel's "adult" poems like "the smoke off".

http://www.banned-width.com/shel/misc/lyrics.html

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/07/05 at 10:22 am

wow...thanks for the link Cat....I never realized how many poems the man wrote that were NOT for children.....I will have fun reading them!!

Written By: jiminy on 06/07/05 at 12:11 pm

Dick&Jane always gave me a warm fuzzy feeling   :D

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 06/07/05 at 12:55 pm

Dick&Jane always gave me a warm fuzzy feeling   :D

That's hilarious  ;D

~Beth

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 06/07/05 at 4:26 pm

ZIP and WENDY (about 2 cats - American author I think)

Janet and John books.

Enid Blyton's Famous 5

Anansi the Spider

Check for new replies or respond here...