inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Get rid of the extra point

Written By: Satish on 11/26/04 at 6:24 pm

I wa just thinking, they should abolish the extra point. I mean, there's no drama to it. When was the last time you saw a kicker miss one? It's a chip shot. After a touchdown, they should just put 7 points on the board and get the ball back to centre field for the kick off.

Now you're probably thinking, what about 2-point converts? Well, you can still have those. Just give em 8 points if the convert is successful, 6 points if it's not.

Subject: Re: Get rid of the extra point

Written By: RockandRollFan on 11/26/04 at 7:24 pm

I wa just thinking, they should abolish the extra point. I mean, there's no drama to it. When was the last time you saw a kicker miss one? It's a chip shot. After a touchdown, they should just put 7 points on the board and get the ball back to centre field for the kick off.

Now you're probably thinking, what about 2-point converts? Well, you can still have those. Just give em 8 points if the convert is successful, 6 points if it's not.
College is MUCH more clever than the NFL....if you return a missed extra point you get a point...AND they have much better Overtime rules. Both teams get a chance based on thier skill...the game isn't in the fate of a coin toss ::)

Written By: AL-B on 11/27/04 at 4:22 am

99% of the time there is no drama to the PAT kick, but every now and then the kicker chokes or the kick gets blocked, and in a tight game that can be the difference between winning and losing.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 11/27/04 at 4:52 am

In Rugby League and Rugby Union, there is much more skill involved with goal kicking.  I shall explain...

When a try (equivalent of a touchdown) is scored, the conversion attempt then gets taken from a place which is in a direct line backwards from where it was scored.  That is to say, if it is scored one foot inside the sideline, that is where the kick must be taken from.  In the case of the above games, the kicker can decide how far he wants to take the ball (increasing the angle but also the distance).

Certainly makes things a lot more interesting, and less of a sure thing.  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...