inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best & Worst Christmas Gifts you've received

Written By: gemini61 on 11/29/04 at 6:31 pm

The best for me were always the special things my girls would make when they were in Kindergarten and Elementary school. But the one that sticks in my mind the most is, 1972, red, white & blue, "Miss America" bike with the banana seat   8)  I was 11 yrs. old and thought I was the coolest kid on the block! The worst has to be 1981, first Christmas with hubby,. . . . . . .dare I say it. . . . . . . . a crock pot   :P I've never gotten another kitchen appliance since!  ;) 

Subject: Re: What was the best & worst Christmas Gift you've ever received?

Written By: Bobby on 11/29/04 at 6:34 pm

The best Christmas present I recieved was 'Back to the future' trilogy on DVD last Christmas. The worst? A muddy brown sweatshirt my mum bought me last year.

I haven't celebrated that many Christmas's I'm afraid.

Subject: Re: Best & Worst Christmas Gifts you've received

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/29/04 at 7:42 pm

My sister once gave me a shirt for Xmas. Since I lived miles away, she sent it to me wrapped. When I opened it on Christmas day, the guy I living with at the time looked at it and started in, "What an UGLY shirt!" Before I could say or do anything, he grabs the shirt out of the box and holds it up to himself and says, "Would you wear a shirt like this? This is such an UGLY shirt." He just went on and on about the shirt being ugly and I never said a word. I think that was the last time I saw the shirt except when he was wearing it.  :D I had often commented on he went on and on about it being ugly but yet he "stole" it on me before I could even wear it once. But, that's ok. It was an ugly shirt and I wouldn't have worn it anyway.  ;D

Cat

Written By: gemini61 on 11/29/04 at 9:43 pm

My sister once gave me a shirt for Xmas. Since I lived miles away, she sent it to me wrapped. When I opened it on Christmas day, the guy I living with at the time looked at it and started in, "What an UGLY shirt!" Before I could say or do anything, he grabs the shirt out of the box and holds it up to himself and says, "Would you wear a shirt like this? This is such an UGLY shirt." He just went on and on about the shirt being ugly and I never said a word. I think that was the last time I saw the shirt except when he was wearing it.  :D I had often commented on he went on and on about it being ugly but yet he "stole" it on me before I could even wear it once. But, that's ok. It was an ugly shirt and I wouldn't have worn it anyway.  ;D

Cat

Maybe he would like Bobbys muddy brown sweatshirt!  ;)  ;D

Written By: Bobby on 11/29/04 at 9:53 pm

He can have it.  ;D

Written By: Paul on 11/30/04 at 8:35 am

Very handy things, unwanted jumpers...I got one a few years ago (from a 'relative' I don't care much for) which doubles up nicely as an all-purpose 'wipe' for the car...!

The worst was two years ago (from the same relative, who must have something against me...!) - a horrible mug, which I think ended up in the garden as a bird-scarer...!!

Can't really think what the best one was...(sadly)

Written By: Indy Gent on 11/30/04 at 9:40 am

Best Christmas gift : Crazy Wheel :)
Worst gift: Getting in a fight with my dad over use of the kitchen. :(

Written By: onaree on 11/30/04 at 9:55 am

A couple of years ago, my husband tracked down one of my best friends from high school.  Scott knew how much I missed Steven and found him for me.  Steven and I talked for about an hour.  It was great talking about old times and catching up on new developments.  It was so sweet of my hubby to do that for me.

I don't think I've had a "worst" present before.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/30/04 at 10:02 am

Best Present - Being invited over to friend's house for a good old fashioned family christmas dinner.  Then introduced to others as "one of the family".  :)

Worst Present - My college roomate and I agreed that we would include each other on the christmas present list.  Roomy was sick that week and so I ran all sorts of errands for him while he studied, etc...  Got him this nice shot glass (not expensive, but useful and fitting a dorm room situation).

When I handed him the present, wrapped and ribboned, he then reached into his wallet and hands me a $5.00 bill.  He said "I could not think of what you'd want, so I figured cash would do".  How thoughtful.  :-X

Written By: gemini61 on 11/30/04 at 11:09 am

I don't think I've had a "worst" present before.

You're very lucky!  ;)

Written By: gemini61 on 11/30/04 at 11:12 am

Gee, I've got plenty of "worst"...all from hubby's (late) step-grandma...first, there was the nightgown from JC Penney that a)smelled like her, b)was polyester & lace c)wasn't even in the computer when we went to take it back (they keep items for 7 years)...then, the blue polyester shirt with the elastic waistband, square gold-tone buttons, and odd collar that was a medium petite....#1, I sure as heck wasn't a Medium & #2, I've NEVER been petite...finally, I guess was the bubble bath that was in a glass bottle with the "raised paint" print circa 1970.

Can't really think of the "best" ???  Well, it wasn't for Christmas, but my hubby got me a diamond tennis bracelet when I was pregnant with our oldest "just because".  He gave it to me right after I found out that my wedding ring, which had been taken in to be repaired, had been stolen by someone at UPS.  So, it was a good and bad day :)

What is it about Grandma's, that they always seem to give the strangest gifts? I love my late grandparents dearly, but they always seemed to give me some ugly clothes when I was a kid. Looking back now, I wish I would have appreciated them more  :\'(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/30/04 at 12:28 pm

I don't remember if this was a Christmas present or not but one time my ex-mother-in-law (NOT Carlos' mother) sent me a bra that was WAY too big.  ::)

Cat

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 11/30/04 at 12:48 pm

Very handy things, unwanted jumpers...I got one a few years ago (from a 'relative' I don't care much for) which doubles up nicely as an all-purpose 'wipe' for the car...!

The worst was two years ago (from the same relative, who must have something against me...!) - a horrible mug, which I think ended up in the garden as a bird-scarer...!!

Too funny!  ;D

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 11/30/04 at 12:50 pm

Gee, I've got plenty of "worst"...all from hubby's (late) step-grandma...first, there was the nightgown from JC Penney that a)smelled like her, b)was polyester & lace c)wasn't even in the computer when we went to take it back (they keep items for 7 years)...then, the blue polyester shirt with the elastic waistband, square gold-tone buttons, and odd collar that was a medium petite....#1, I sure as heck wasn't a Medium & #2, I've NEVER been petite...finally, I guess was the bubble bath that was in a glass bottle with the "raised paint" print circa 1970.

Polyester is the worst fabric in the world, IMO.  :P

Written By: karen on 11/30/04 at 12:53 pm

I can't remember any really good presents.  Obvious ones are a new bike when I was 10 and getting a stereo of my own in my teens.  Otherwise I'm not sure.

Worst present contenders would have to be a telephone (from my Grandma), a plastic kitchen utensils type set (lemon juicer, mixing bowl and sieve) also from my Grandma, a lipstick and blusher set in the brightest pinks ever (from my dad) and a set of coffee mugs with packets of chocolate covered coffee beans from my brother and his wife  because you'd think my brother might have remembered that I don't drink coffee!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 11/30/04 at 12:55 pm

One of the best presents I can recall is the stereo system my husband bought me 12 years ago.  That was the first time I'd ever had a CD player and I was just so excited!  8)

I can't really think of 'worst' gifts at the moment...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/30/04 at 1:35 pm

I just remember a GOOD present. When I was 7 years old-in first grade, I had the hots for this boy in school and he was into Hot Wheels. So naturally, what I wanted was Hot Wheels. Well, Santa was very nice to me that year because I did get Hot Wheels but I had to wait about a week before I could play with them because my brother and my father wouldn't let me have a turn with them.  :-\\

There was another time when I was 13-I wanted 3 things-the game Battleship, a basketball, and the 45 (I'm sure some of you remember those) of Diana Ross' Theme to Mahagany (loved that song). I got all three.  ;D

Cat

Written By: gemini61 on 11/30/04 at 2:22 pm

One of the best presents I can recall is the stereo system my husband bought me 12 years ago.  That was the first time I'd ever had a CD player and I was just so excited!  8)

I can't really think of 'worst' gifts at the moment...

Yay, hubby did good!!  ;)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/30/04 at 2:29 pm

Best: my son, born three weeks before Christmas 1998 (and who, btw, will be turning six this Thursday)

Worst: a tv set b/c my dad gave it to me and sold it the same day on Christmas

Tanya

Written By: Marian on 12/01/04 at 9:37 pm

Best: my son, born three weeks before Christmas 1998 (and who, btw, will be turning six this Thursday)

Worst: a tv set b/c my dad gave it to me and sold it the same day on Christmas

Tanya
???Huh??How did he give it to you and sell it the same day???

Written By: Allie Fox on 12/02/04 at 4:59 pm

I can't think of anything that really sticks out either way.

What an ordinary life I must lead. :(

Written By: nally on 12/23/04 at 5:48 pm

I've received so many Christmas gifts it's hard to say which ones have been the best. I can't think of any "bad" gifts I've received. But last Christmas my parents gave me my very own TV so that I could watch what I want to, when I want to. If they're watching something and I want to see something else, I have my own TV.

Written By: Mona on 12/30/04 at 5:47 am

The best gift I ever got was last year.  I woke up to find a man sleeping on my couch.  Upon closer inspection, I discovered it was my son whom I had not seen in a year.  He had driven 22 hours straight thru to surprise us Christmas morning.

Written By: Eve Orzabal Smith on 12/30/04 at 9:48 am

In my family we aren't used to celebrate Xmas, but The best Xmas present I got was....MY BRAND NEW  COMPUTER!!!!

I also got a camera and a bag when I was 12.

The worst Christmas present.....It isn't given yet! :)

Written By: Zella on 12/30/04 at 3:47 pm

I just remember a GOOD present. When I was 7 years old-in first grade, I had the hots for this boy in school and he was into Hot Wheels. So naturally, what I wanted was Hot Wheels. Well, Santa was very nice to me that year because I did get Hot Wheels but I had to wait about a week before I could play with them because my brother and my father wouldn't let me have a turn with them.  :-\\

But more importantly, did your acqusition of the Hot Wheels win you the love of your 7-year old heartthrob?  ;)

Written By: Zella on 12/30/04 at 3:52 pm

Best gifts:

Thimble City (ca. 1967)

My first and only new PC (2002)

My first cassette player-recorder (1971) - my parents and I sat around trying it out; my father pretended to be a goofy radio announcer and would 'interview' us. I still have the tape and recently had it put on CD. :)

Worst gift:

(2003) This pain in the a$$ dog that is asleep here on the floor of my office. I was not a happy camper that Christmas Eve, I tell ya...  >:(

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 12/30/04 at 4:22 pm

Best gifts:

My first cassette player-recorder (1971) - my parents and I sat around trying it out; my father pretended to be a goofy radio announcer and would 'interview' us. I still have the tape and recently had it put on CD. :)

Aww...that's priceless!  :)

Worst gift:

(2003) This pain in the a$$ dog that is asleep here on the floor of my office. I was not a happy camper that Christmas Eve, I tell ya...  >:(

Did your hubby give you the dog?  ???

Check for new replies or respond here...