inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Most stressful occupation

Written By: Mergal on 12/18/04 at 6:27 am

And no I didn't include Canvasser/Telemarketer because that's obvious.

Subject: Re: Most stressful occupation

Written By: gord on 12/18/04 at 6:56 am

I would say a flight attendant, especially after 9/11. And on those busy holiday flights, I don't envy them.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 12/18/04 at 8:09 am

And no I didn't include Canvasser/Telemarketer because that's obvious.

I suggest that is stressful to the unfortunate souls receiving the calls  ;)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/18/04 at 11:37 am

I would say a waitress/waiter

Tanya

Written By: MooRocca on 12/18/04 at 12:03 pm

I went with convenience store clerk -- not because of the customer service aspect, but because of the armed robberies.   

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/18/04 at 12:40 pm

I have to go with waiter/waitress.  I've seen some people really be rude to the waitresses.  :-\\

Written By: Dagwood on 12/18/04 at 3:12 pm

Telephone operator...especially if you are taking complaint calls.

Written By: Howard on 12/18/04 at 6:38 pm

EMTs and Policemen

Howard

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 12/18/04 at 10:50 pm

I went with Gas Station Attendant - over here the 24/7 ones are run by one person in shifts - so you can have a 19 year old girl in sole charge all night.

We have so many hold ups for that reason.

Honestly - the owners are just trying to save money by paying Under21s and only one of them.  Two guys in their 30's would stand a better chance of surviving a violent burg than a young girl.

Its ridiculous.

One guy they caught last month robbed 15 separate gas stations after midnight in a one hour spree.

Written By: Indy Gent on 12/18/04 at 11:22 pm

I said convenience store clerk, especially a 24 hour store.

(There was even a recent robbery where a teenager robbed his younger sister at a Crystal Flash. :o)

Written By: Rio_Rhodes on 12/19/04 at 12:49 am

I think they all are really stressful in their own way, but I went with hair stylist cuz its the closest occupation to dog groomer! I only say that cuz out of all the jobs I've had, this is the first one where I come home and can't even think straight cuz of things that happen every day!

Not that its important for me to mention this, but I'm going to say why its stressful...

Ever been bitten by a dog? I get that just about every day....
I worry about cutting a dog with either the clippers or my scissors...
I constantly worry about whether or not the haircut looks right because...
Customers really let you have it if its not exactly the way they want...
The dogs fight you at every turn because they do not want to be there at all...
I've lost track of all the, umm, how should I say this, sullied cages I've cleaned....
Oh yeah, I worry about cutting my own fingers with my clippers or scissors, thats happened several times all ready...

Its really stressful but at the same time, it is the best job I've ever had because I do something different everyday, and when a customer loves the haircut I did, I can't even begin to describe how good I feel!! :)

Plus the tips are GREAT!!!

Sorry if that was long winded, I needed to vent a bit... ;)

Rio

Written By: Indy Gent on 12/22/04 at 5:01 pm

My late mother used to be a beautician, and she factured her leg twice, accidentally cut her wrists and bled profusely. It might have contributed to the HPB and strokes that would eventually kill her. :\'(
I think they all are really stressful in their own way, but I went with hair stylist Oh yeah, I worry about cutting my own fingers with my clippers or scissors, thats happened several times all ready...

Written By: Howard on 12/22/04 at 5:05 pm

undertaker
mortician

Howard

Written By: zcrito on 12/22/04 at 8:33 pm

I chose "telephone operator", in the "incoming call-center representative".  I've done it and let me tell you, it's few and far between when you get a call for simple info.  Usually people are calling in to complain and it gets old/tiring after awhile :P

I did customer support/tech support for 6 years on all three shifts. Most days it was a "on your mark, get set...GO!" type work environment. Calls continuously coming in, trying to determine what the problem was, keying in what just happened on the last call, and problems in your call tracking queue needing to be worked -- all at the same time. I was always wound up at the end of the day. Lack of sleep and being tired kept me docile and from being too depressed.
:)

Written By: Rio_Rhodes on 12/24/04 at 3:16 am

My late mother used to be a beautician, and she factured her leg twice, accidentally cut her wrists and bled profusely. It might have contributed to the HPB and strokes that would eventually kill her. :\'(

I'm so sorry to hear that!!!!! :\'( :\'( :\'(

Rio

Written By: Jennifer028 on 12/26/04 at 11:13 am

WAITRESS!!  YUK!!

Written By: Howard on 12/26/04 at 1:57 pm

Garbage Man

Howard

Written By: Mergal on 12/27/04 at 6:15 pm

I picked bank teller because I am one and you have no idea what I go through....

Cranky/impatient clients who I guess have the right to be so since I'm handling their money

Math

Machines that conk out all the time

Bad pay

Potential for being held up

Frequent quarterly reviews

A boss who sits behind me

Sore feet from going up and down to get forms or to go to the cage

And on top of this I have to be polite AND sell banking packages!!

Written By: Marian on 12/28/04 at 2:49 pm

I think they all are really stressful in their own way, but I went with hair stylist cuz its the closest occupation to dog groomer! I only say that cuz out of all the jobs I've had, this is the first one where I come home and can't even think straight cuz of things that happen every day!

Not that its important for me to mention this, but I'm going to say why its stressful...

Ever been bitten by a dog? I get that just about every day....
I worry about cutting a dog with either the clippers or my scissors...
I constantly worry about whether or not the haircut looks right because...
Customers really let you have it if its not exactly the way they want...
The dogs fight you at every turn because they do not want to be there at all...
I've lost track of all the, umm, how should I say this, sullied cages I've cleaned....
Oh yeah, I worry about cutting my own fingers with my clippers or scissors, thats happened several times all ready...

Its really stressful but at the same time, it is the best job I've ever had because I do something different everyday, and when a customer loves the haircut I did, I can't even begin to describe how good I feel!! :)

Plus the tips are GREAT!!!

Sorry if that was long winded, I needed to vent a bit... ;)

Rio
:o :Pone groomer accidentally shaved off one of my dog's nipples!!! :o

Check for new replies or respond here...