inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: New Year's Eve

Written By: Mona on 12/29/04 at 11:19 am

What's everyone doing for New Year's Eve?

We're seriously thinking about staying home, having so friends over and playing Dance, Dance, Revolution.  Anyone played this yet?  We have a ball.

Subject: Re: New Year's Eve

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/29/04 at 7:16 pm

Just staying home with my hubby and son. My hubby and I will sip some sparkling cider when the clock strikes, kiss each other, and kiss our son as he sleeps!  I prefer it that way! Have fun with the game, though.

Tanya

Written By: Dagwood on 12/29/04 at 8:15 pm

Not a dang thing.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 12/29/04 at 8:38 pm

Staying home with the family.  :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/29/04 at 9:11 pm

Staying home and sober :)

Written By: Rio_Rhodes on 12/30/04 at 12:26 am

As it is right now, I am not doing anything, but a guy I know really wants me to go to his place, he's having a party, so I dunno yet...I am so not going to be on the Strip this year, I was last year and it was a !@#$ing zoo!! Plus its supposed to rain on Friday!

Some centennial that will be for Vegas!!! We're supposed to have a HUGE fireworks show to celebrate too! OH WELL!!

Rio

Written By: nally on 12/30/04 at 12:32 am

We usually just stay home and play various games...we're gonna do that again this year. We don't like to go out, mostly because of the crowds, but we like it in our own home. In fact, we've been staying home each of the last ten years. ("We", in this case, is me and my parents---and our little dog too.) We usually find some fun games to play, like Yahtzee and Bingo.

This year we will go out for an early dinner at this restaurant by the Ventura Harbor and then come home.

Written By: NbC on 12/30/04 at 1:09 am

Staying home and being bored. 

My daughter loves Dance, Dance, Revolution.  I have tried it but I can't seem to follow along.  Two left feet. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/30/04 at 2:25 am

At home with a bottle. 

Written By: Paul on 12/30/04 at 7:21 am

Round a friend's place...there will be booze there, but I shan't be going overboard...

(Believe that, and you'll believe anything...!! Happy New Year, all...)

Written By: sputnikcorp on 12/30/04 at 8:39 am

going to a friend's place where i drink myself into total oblivion and pass out before midnight.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 01/01/05 at 11:40 pm

Happy New Year everyone.

I flew to Sydney on Xmas day - arrived in time for a very late xmas roast cooked by a friend.

Spent boxing day catching up with another old friend.

Awoke on the Monday to a phone call alerting me to the tsunami news - we didnt go near a tv all day and night on boxing day so had not heard a thing.

Spent the week glued to 24 hour news stations hoping to catch a glimpse of my co workers and friends who were in Phuket.  The guy I was staying with got a text message from his friend holidaying in south east india saying his hotel was damaged but he was safe and sound.

Went to see movies - The Incredibles, Phantom of the Opera, and Oceans 12.

Felt a little fatalistic with the tsunami etc so watched Day After Tomorrow on dvd.

Did too much shopping. I should avoid book sales.

New years eve - well it co-incided with my buddies 40th birthday so we surprised him with a posh meal at a lovely asian restaurant followed by alchoholic UNO - a rather fun game. We then went up to his apartment roof to watch Sydneys awesome fireworks displays. The first one at 9pm was started with a minute silence for the tsunami victims.  The hush that fell over the million strong crowd was freaky - followed by a single floating red firework that just hung in the sky for so long.

The midnight fireworks were fantastic.  I will see if any of my photos came out ok and post some later.

Spent the rest of the night watching Rocky Horror repeats on telly - with much champagne and vodka.

Thanks Sydney - for yet another fabulous NYE.  There was talk early in the week that the fireworks should be cancelled due to the tsunami - but as the organisers said - the thing was paid for 8 months ago - so cancelling it wasnt going to help anyone financially - and the fact that over a Million was collected from the public that night was brilliant.  And people need reasons to celebrate and count their lucky stars and be thankful they are alive. So I for one am very glad the night wasnt cancelled.

These arent my pics - but I havent unpacked my camera yet !

Written By: mandamoo on 01/02/05 at 7:35 pm

Thanks Sydney - for yet another fabulous NYE.

Anytime, BMG  ;)

Btw, great pics and I look forward to seeing the ones you took ! 8)

Written By: Bobby on 01/02/05 at 8:18 pm

I didn't do much. Sat in front of the telly to watch the new year in with alchohol and my little lady . . .

I don't know why I call him Alchohol . . .  ;D

Written By: Howard on 01/02/05 at 8:48 pm

went up to Niskayuna to see my old friend Robert.I came home this afternoon. :)

Howard

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 01/03/05 at 12:06 am

Anytime, BMG  ;)

Btw, great pics and I look forward to seeing the ones you took ! 8)

Darnit Manda you just reminded me that I meant to go and check out your windows !  I knew there was something I forgot to do !
Did you go to the fireworks ?

I have scrolled thru my own photos and they aint good !  I should have taken a tripod up to the roof - so hard to keep the camera steady.  couple of examples here

Written By: mandamoo on 01/03/05 at 6:40 am

Darnit Manda you just reminded me that I meant to go and check out your windows ! I knew there was something I forgot to do !

Did you go to the fireworks ?

I have scrolled thru my own photos and they aint good ! I should have taken a tripod up to the roof - so hard to keep the camera steady. couple of examples here

Don't worry BMG, you didn't miss anything ! ;)  All you would've seen were the words 'Stocktake Sale' screaming at you from every window  ::)

No, I didn't go to the fireworks. We spent a fairly subdued night at home with a couple of friends  :)  Thanks for sharing your photos, too !

Written By: karen on 01/05/05 at 4:14 am

We (me, hubby and the two children) went to stay with a crowd of friends in a youth hostel for new year. 

We went for a walk in Gwyddyr Forest, Betws y Coed, using the interesting method of not finding the footpath at the beginning so climbing up a steepish hill through the trees after we realised we'd missed the beginning till we found it.  We also organised a night orienteering event on this day.

On the 31st I took my two and a friends two children into the same town and we went on a miniature railway and looked around a railway museum.  We also went across to a motor museum but it was shut for the holiday.  Instead we went to the area information centre and watched a film of a helicopter flight around the area.  It was a good film but would have been better if the commentary had been English rather than Welsh!  All this so my husband and his friend could go for a run up a big hill or two!

On new years eve evening we had a nice meal with everyone crammed into the dining room.  There was about 50 of us all together.  Then we sang some carols, Elizabeth did a solo of When Santa got stuck up the chimney and a duet with her friend of Away in a manger.  After that we had a pantomime (written by one of the people there) which was very funny.  The children are still acting out scenes from it.  We also played some party games and then gathered together to sing Auld Lang Syne.

On the morning of the 1st there was a fell race from the hostel.  I was involved in starting people off at their correct start time (staggered starts based on ability) but my husband went out.  Not sure his final position but I think he did o.k.  After that it was a long drive home.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 01/05/05 at 4:34 am

using the interesting method of not finding the footpath at the beginning so climbing up a steepish hill through the trees after we realised we'd missed the beginning till we found it. 

So glad I am not the only one who does that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D

Sounds like you had a great couple of days Karen.

Don't worry BMG, you didn't miss anything ! ;) All you would've seen were the words 'Stocktake Sale' screaming at you from every window ::)

No, I didn't go to the fireworks. We spent a fairly subdued night at home with a couple of friends :) Thanks for sharing your photos, too !

Ahhhhh I do believe I saw those ENORMOUS red signs !!  I wish my photos were better - I have to accept my canon A30 needs to grow up to be an A85 if I want to take faaaaaabulous pics !

Check for new replies or respond here...