inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Controversial" Songs

Written By: RockandRollFan on 01/17/05 at 8:06 pm

I invite all to bring in your choices and why you think they were controversial....or weren't treated as such but should have been.

As I have listened to "Money For Nothing" by Dire Straits since it's release in 1985, I often wonder about the hypocrisy in the music business. This song was championed as a huge hit and yet it was full of hateful lyrics directed squarely at gays. The Little F*ggot got his own jet airplane,
The little f*ggot is a millionare

With ALL the whining about cussing and bad lyrics, why do some slip through the cracks and even recieve praise?? I've never liked Money For Nothing and never will.....There are many more but I digress :-\\

Subject: Re: "Controversial" Songs

Written By: 80s Lady on 01/17/05 at 8:24 pm

Interesting point about the hypocrisy in the music business.  During the time that I was an avid country music listener, there was the Dixie Chics' "Goodbye Earl" about a group of girlfriends killing a friends abusive spouse, Martina McBride's "Independence Day" again about a woman burning her house down with her abusive husband in it, and there was Garth Brooks' "Papa loved Mama" about a guy trucker that comes home to find his wife with another man and kills her (because he "loved" her of course).  Guess which ones were controversial, and which one was played till I wanted to puke!!  Maybe in this case it goes beyond hypocrisy.  I think "those" sorts of songs have always been allowed/expected/status quo in country music sung by men, but never a strong woman that stood up to her man after a beating and took his a$$ out.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 01/17/05 at 8:44 pm

Interesting point about the hypocrisy in the music business.  During the time that I was an avid country music listener, there was the Dixie Chics' "Goodbye Earl" about a group of girlfriends killing a friends abusive spouse, Martina McBride's "Independence Day" again about a woman burning her house down with her abusive husband in it, and there was Garth Brooks' "Papa loved Mama" about a guy trucker that comes home to find his wife with another man and kills her (because he "loved" her of course).  Guess which ones were controversial, and which one was played till I wanted to puke!!  Maybe in this case it goes beyond hypocrisy.  I think "those" sorts of songs have always been allowed/expected/status quo in country music sung by men, but never a strong woman that stood up to her man after a beating and took his a$$ out.
I don't mind songs that talk about abused women standing up to the typical macho-pig, fat @ss loser guy. You Never EVER hit a lady....EVER!

Written By: Harmonica on 01/17/05 at 8:54 pm

Controversial songs?

The red, white and blue by Toby Keith - some saw it as a threat towards other countries, "just try and mess with us, we'll kick you butt".  I personally didn't see it that way, but some did.

Written By: woops on 01/17/05 at 9:02 pm

I invite all to bring in your choices and why you think they were controversial....or weren't treated as such but should have been.

As I have listened to "Money For Nothing" by Dire Straits since it's release in 1985, I often wonder about the hypocrisy in the music business. This song was championed as a huge hit and yet it was full of hateful lyrics directed squarely at gays. The Little F*ggot got his own jet airplane,

With ALL the whining about cussing and bad lyrics, why do some slip through the cracks and even recieve praise?? I've never liked Money For Nothing and never will.....There are many more but I digress :-\\

That song is edited on my local adult contemporary & classic rock stations and  Eminem is all over the top 40...  ::)  :P

(The same for classic cartoons & movies...)

As for controversial songs... 2 Live Crew's "Me So H rny", Prince "Darling Nikki", anything from Marilyn Manson

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/18/05 at 6:22 am

I don't mind songs that talk about abused women standing up to the typical macho-pig, fat @ss loser guy. You Never EVER hit a lady....EVER!

Perhaps, but there are a few women out there that you'd never call a LADY.

I think that Mark Knopfler's use of the term F*ggot was intentionally ironic.  He was dissing the guy who used the word F*ggot, and was not dissing F*ggots themselves.  That said I just never liked the song because it was too gimmicky.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/18/05 at 6:32 am

Some other controversial lyrics:

Aerosmith's "Walk this Way".  Steven Tyler was not singing about baked goods.

AC/DC's "Let Me Put My Love".  Somehow I don't think they were singing about cutting a cake with a knife.

;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 01/18/05 at 8:57 am

Perhaps, but there are a few women out there that you'd never call a LADY.

There's plenty out there I'd never call Ladies, just as there "Men" who are gentlemen. I'd still never strike a member of the opposite sex, or a child...unless it were a life/death situation :-\\

Written By: RockandRollFan on 01/18/05 at 9:06 am

I think that Mark Knopfler's use of the term F*ggot was intentionally ironic.  He was dissing the guy who used the word F*ggot, and was not dissing F*ggots themselves.  That said I just never liked the song because it was too gimmicky.
That, I can agree with!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 01/18/05 at 9:09 am

Here's one that always made me wonder....They played "Cocaine" all the time, uncut (couldn't resist that one)..all the while "Hash Pipe" by Weezer, they cut out the word "Hash"... ???

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/18/05 at 11:21 am

Isn't it funny that they play this song on the 4th of July? It goes to show that no one listens to the lyrics!

How about "Seventeen" by Winger? Umm, wasn't he talking about statuatory rape?

Tanya

Written By: Paul on 01/18/05 at 3:23 pm

'The Boiler' - Rhoda with The Special AKA...

Horrific topic (rape) and an extremely uneasy and distressing performance...

Strangely, it was never banned by the BBC - but then again, it was never played...

I listened to it once - that was enough...

Written By: Allie Fox on 01/18/05 at 3:34 pm

I remember there being some hubbub about Tori Amos' "Silent All These Years."

Madonna is no "virgin" to controversy.  In hindsight (what with her present Kabballah-istic ways) "Like A Prayer" the video is a little weird. ::)

Written By: Howard on 01/18/05 at 7:18 pm

Black OR White Michael Jackson
Controversy Prince

Howard

Written By: jaytee on 01/18/05 at 10:57 pm

I think Money for Nothing is a great song.  Don't see what all the fuss is about ::)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 01/18/05 at 11:06 pm

I think Money for Nothing is a great song.  Don't see what all the fuss is about ::)
Not so much a fuss as a "wonder" as to why some songs that use much less hateful words get banned....and THIS one gets "praised"  ???

Written By: Stompgal on 01/19/05 at 6:33 am

A lot of Eminem's songs are controversial, especially Stan and The Way I Am.

Written By: jaytee on 01/19/05 at 7:53 am

Not so much a fuss as a "wonder" as to why some songs that use much less hateful words get banned....and THIS one gets "praised"  ???

Maybe because it's a good song ::)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 01/26/05 at 12:00 am

Maybe because it's a good song ::)
Okay, it's a good song...with lyrics that are much more hateful than some other songs with much tamer lyrics that get banned....that's what I mean ;)

Written By: Rush on 01/27/05 at 1:43 am

Blasphemous Rumours by Depeche Mode was considered a controversial song at the time, but then again what religious type songs are not....  ::)

Sex Dwarf by Soft Cell was also considered controversial.

Written By: Howard on 02/01/05 at 8:02 am

Justify My Love

Howard

Written By: Marian on 02/01/05 at 2:28 pm

I think "Ebony eyes" was controversial when it was popular,partly because it was popular around the time that the World Figure skating cahmpionships were scheduled.

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/01/05 at 3:52 pm

The end by the Doors... wooow...Oedipus anybody

fudge the police by NWA.. do we even need to say why. (if you look on the album sleeve on the origional record you can see all the complaints that were filed by Police depts and the FBI.

Jewish Princess by Frank Zappa.. LMAO that is a good one.

The song by Judas Preist that had the subliminal words 'do it do it' contained within and caused two kids to kill emselves.. YEAH RIGHT! Listen to Judas Preist, it's pretty Hardcore i hardly think the words 'do it do it' are gonna push em over the edge if they weren't about to 'do it' anyway.

Anything by Body Count and most stuff by the Sex Pistols and Public Enemy (back when rap was wholesome and although profanity laden held a message)

Check for new replies or respond here...