inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are Public Domain DVDs worth checking out?

Written By: woops on 01/17/05 at 9:50 pm

Have you seen those thin cased/paper cased cheap DVDs of old movies, tv shows, cartoons, etc. on most discount store?

IMO, some are either hit or miss. Though tend to come in a quality of sound/picture that ranges from fair to bad.

Though I only like one PD DVD of 60 classic cartoons, most in fair quality, of Popeye, Betty Boop, Superman, Felix the Cat, etc. (Not to mention a couple junk like Casper & Little Audrey  :P )

And another of old commercials.  :D

Subject: Re: Are Public Domain DVDs worth checking out?

Written By: sputnikcorp on 01/17/05 at 10:00 pm

my father buys them by the dozen. loads of old movies that have no real chance to be rereleased by a major label are given new life to new audiences, cheaply...although i am getting sick of my father's obsession to the singing cowboy movies of the 30s he's discovered on DVD. the modern mind can only take so much gene autry...

Written By: Allie Fox on 01/18/05 at 2:08 pm

I bought "The Boy in the Plastic Bubble" with John Travolta.  The quality is abysmal and the features are non-existant but for ONE CLAM. . . what did I expect?

The few that I own are all the same, but it's either that or nothing.  "A bird in hand. . ."

Written By: Johnny_D on 01/18/05 at 5:26 pm

You can borrow DVDs of movies (sometimes surprisingly recent stuff) from your local public library and keep 'em for a week for free...that's what my wife and I do when we want to watch a movie we missed when it first came out.  Great way to catch up on lots of movies for free.

Check for new replies or respond here...