inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Controversial Music Videos (Favorites or those you can't stand!)

Written By: woops on 01/19/05 at 10:10 pm

Here's some of my favorite controversial music videos...  8

Bold: Selected from the poll
Duran Duran "Girls On Film" (uncensored version)
Neil Young "This Note's For You"
Pearl Jam "Jeremy"
2 Live Crew "Me So H rny"
Motley Crue "Girls, Girls, Girls"

Sir Mix a Lot "Baby Got Back"
George Michael "I Want Your Sex"
Nine Inch Nails "Closer" (uncut)
Warrant "Cherry Pie"
Wax "California"
The Cardigans "My Favorite Game"
David Bowie "China Girl"
Madonna "Like A Prayer"
Depeche Mode "Master & Servant"
Culture Club "Do You Really Want To Hurt Me" (intro)

Some I can't even watch...  :P

Anything from Britney Spears   :P
And Cher's  "If I Could Turn Back Time"

Subject: Re: Controversial Music Videos (Favorites or those you can't stand!)

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 01/25/05 at 9:08 am

Personally I have never thought any of them were controversial.  And we usually laugh ourselves silly down here when we hear they have been banned in the US. And then the 6pm news shows the entire clip so that we can sit and study it really hard to try and see what all the fuss is about !
But then - in a country that recieved how many millions of complaints over a teeny bit of Janet Jacksons booby - its no wonder !!
Down here it was shown repeatedly on the 6pm news - with no pixalation. Maybe cos we all know bare boobs are not dangerous posessions of the devil !!!  We all have them and sometimes they fall out !.

China Girl ?? What on earth was considered controversial in that ? Please dont tell me in was the interacial kiss or the bonking on the beach scene - how tame !!

Girls on Film - the uncensored version is shown here almost every friday night on video hits after 11pm. The slightly edited version gets shown between dawn and noon on weekends.

I actually find the "black rap" songs and video clips far more offensive than a bit of nudity. Sexist, racist, F word over and over - generally showing a lack of talent for writing actual lyrics. Actually I shouldnt generalise and say Black Rap - just all rap - I despise anything that comes out of eminems mouth.

Written By: mrgazpacho on 01/25/05 at 9:15 pm

BMG (or any other Aussies):

Do you remember which Wa Wa Nee song had the video of the girl rubbing her nipples along the foot of a cast-iron-framed bed?  I remember that one as being similar to the Duran Duarn situation because there was a less raunchy version for the kiddies. It was on during the reign of MTV in Australia - probably the mid-to-late 80s?

And yes - sad to say, it was the racial issue in Bowie's clip that was the "ooh" factor. I don't even want to know how the INXS song Original Sin went over in the Bible Belt...

Written By: mandamoo on 01/25/05 at 9:49 pm

Do you remember which Wa Wa Nee song had the video of the girl rubbing her nipples along the foot of a cast-iron-framed bed? I remember that one as being similar to the Duran Duarn situation because there was a less raunchy version for the kiddies. It was on during the reign of MTV in Australia - probably the mid-to-late 80s?

'Stimulation' comes to mind and I'm a tad embarrassed that I actually remember any song by Wa Wa Nee  :P

Written By: mrgazpacho on 01/26/05 at 2:54 am

Well, Sugarfree has a nice typically-80s synth line :)

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 01/26/05 at 2:55 am

'Stimulation' comes to mind and I'm a tad embarrassed that I actually remember any song by Wa Wa Nee  :P

I am embarrased for you ;)   hehehehehe  But heck I went to a Pseudo Echo gig in 2004 - so I cant talk !!!!

Do you remember which Wa Wa Nee song had the video of the girl rubbing her nipples along the foot of a cast-iron-framed bed? I remember that one as being similar to the Duran Duarn situation because there was a less raunchy version for the kiddies. It was on during the reign of MTV in Australia - probably the mid-to-late 80s?
And yes - sad to say, it was the racial issue in Bowie's clip that was the "ooh" factor. I don't even want to know how the INXS song Original Sin went over in the Bible Belt...

Cant actually picture the clip - if I have to have an image in my mind of Wa Wa Nee - its "live" on Countdown rather than video clips.  But ya never know - I may come across it when I start moving all my clips off beta tapes onto dvd.

Serious ? The fact that Bowie kissed his real life girlfriend in the clip was "contraversial" - unbelievable !

Written By: RockandRollFan on 01/26/05 at 11:02 am

Cherry Pie....great video. I love when the slice drops onto her "Lap"  8)

Motley Crue and Duran Duran, also for the beautiful women
Neil Young showing how acts "Sell-out"

and others....Hot For Teacher by Van Halen, and let's never forget Weird Al :)

Written By: Rush on 01/27/05 at 1:51 am

Soft Cell's Sex Dwarf video is considered controversial, so much that it has hardly even been shown anywhere, even with the release on DVD of their Non-Stop Exotic Video Show. It's basically everyone is dressed in leather and bondage gear and throwing around raw meat and rolling around with dwarves and strippers and prostitues.

But I have never seen it myself :(

Written By: mandamoo on 01/27/05 at 4:06 am

I am embarrased for you ;)  hehehehehe  But heck I went to a Pseudo Echo gig in 2004 - so I cant talk !!!!

Oh dear....  ???

It's okay BMGirl.....I've been to see my fair share of daggy Aussie 70's groups in recent times  ;)

Written By: Indy Gent on 02/04/05 at 8:02 pm

I dislike Cher, Metallica, Madonna and the uncut version of "Black or White".

Check for new replies or respond here...