inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does music span the generation gap in your house ?

Written By: gord on 01/29/05 at 8:11 am

Do your parents/kids like the music you listen to ? Do you like the music they listen to ?

It's not bad in my house, my 18 yr old daughter goes thru differant phazes, she was into The Beatles a couple yrs ago, the punk phaze with The Ramones and Green Day, She went thru a Nirvana and Chili Peppers thing, lately its The Flaming Lips, Franz Fertinand, Maroon 5 and alot of mixed stuff from all thru the years. She came home last night with The Who's Tommy on DVD. I haven't seen her yet this morning so I'm not sure what she thought of it.

My son is 13 and I don't think he's found his music yet, he has a couple Linkin Park CDs, Simple Plan, Billy Talent, Blink 182 etc. but I don't think he has listened to an entire CD, he just skips thru to a song he likes. He knows alot of Zeppelin and Pink Floyd and Beatles stuff, I know one of his favorite songs is Barracuda by Heart

All in all its pretty good here, there's no "can you turn that crap down". Now when I was growing up that's a differant story :)

Subject: Re: Does music span the generation gap in your house ?

Written By: Tam on 01/29/05 at 8:56 am

My 12 year old loves all kinds of music.
He mostly enjoys hip hop and R&B, but lately he has gotten into my stack of 80's and has found Duran Duran (I am so proud!) and Metallica. He did go through a phase with the Spice Girls (aargh) and Aqua but obviously that was when he was much younger. I play guitar and when I do, he comes and sits and listens. Sometimes he will jump in and sing but when other people are around he acts the shy part.I have never had to ask him to 'turn that crap down' - sometimes I have had to yell 'Turn it up!!!'

Tam

Written By: Allie Fox on 01/29/05 at 9:11 am

I like alot of the same music that my 13 year old listens to.  As long as it doesn't get to "bubblr gummy."

My wife is stuck in her generation.  70s and 80s only for her.

Written By: gemini61 on 01/29/05 at 10:03 am

My 16 yr old daughter has gone through her different stages of likes and dislikes also. Right now she's into Hawthorne Heights, Taking Back Sunday, Green Day etc. She doesn't mind my 70s music at all, and I don't really mind hers.  My 22 yr old daughter is into mostly the stuff I like, Doors, Beatles, etc. She really likes alot of 60s stuff. That's mainly what she has in her collection. They aren't really thrilled about my Elton stuff though. But that's cool, I don't expect them to like everything I do.  :)

Written By: Junior on 01/29/05 at 10:48 am

My brother is into pre-MTV punk-revival deal, as well as some classic rock and a little hip-hop. Out of the bands on the radio right now, he likes Outkast and Green Day. He just recently bought Beastie Boys "Hello Nasty" (which I've been meaning to borrow from him), and has been looking to purchase CDs from AC/DC and Goldfinger. While I wish he was into more of "my" music, I listen to a lot (if not all) of what he does, just more in addition to that, so I can definitely tolerate his tastes.

My mother prefers older music to the newer music, but likes any song with a "dance beat" and has a few other random favorites throughout radio right now. On pop radio right now, he likes "One Thing" by Finger Eleven, "Over And Over Again" by Nelly and Tim McGraw, and seems to like tunes from Maroon 5 and Ashlee Simpson too. Her older favorites are mostly a grab bag of nice 70s and 80s tunes, most of which I like. I prefer the older songs she likes to the newer ones, but again, nothing too intolerable.

My dad is the one who I can most bond with over older music. We like to turn the radio to either a classic rock, prog rock, or station that plays 70s / 80s / 90s / 00s mix and do sort of a "who can guess the song first" game. He seems surprised sometimes with my knowledge of seventies music. We went to a Rush concert together one time, it was sort of last minute...an old friend of my dad's from way back has a son who interns at a radio station - he was able to get us tickets. Anyway, in newer music, he seems to take a liking to a lot of hip-hop. He likes "Drop It Like It's Hot(t)" by Snoop Dogg, "I Don't Wanna Be" by Gavin Degraw, "Walkie Talkie Man" by Steriogram, and "Let's Go" by Trick Daddy.

Written By: Bobby on 01/29/05 at 11:28 am

Sometimes it does. The girlfriend and I uncannily share similar music tastes (A-ha and Wet Wet Wet curiously enough  ???). Her son I think, at best, is curious of what I listen to and finds it funny.

I like some of the stuff he listens to (The Zutons and The Ark springs to mind at the moment).

Written By: RockandRollFan on 01/29/05 at 12:01 pm

When I had my ex and my 5 boys in the same house...yep. I turned them on to My stuff...Beatles, Boston, Van Halen/Hagar, Journey, The Doors, ect. and they in turn got me in to Weezer, Godsmack, Soundgarden and more. My oldest, Rich, tried to get me into the Back Door Street boys but I resisted :P

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 01/29/05 at 12:56 pm

My 9-year-old daughter used to love all the 70's and 80's music I would play around the house.  Then one day she changed and now she's into Jennifer Lopez, Beyonce (Destiny's Child) and Usher (among other Hip Hop/R&B artists).  Lately, though, she's been telling me that she really loves Earth, Wind & Fire.  She can always recognize their songs when they come on the radio or on the Sirius music channels on TV.   8)

My 4-year-old son hasn't really gotten into music yet, but he likes the theme from George Lopez ("Low Rider" by War), and also "Rock The Boat" (Hues Corporation).  :)

Written By: Alchoholica on 01/29/05 at 1:10 pm

Hmmmm i think it is fairly common to find similar tastes.. i don't mind some of my Mom & Dad's music... my dad kind of.. well he knows nothing about popular music of any time(odd because he is a musician by proffesion) however me and my Mom both like Country.. I like Johnny & she like Willie.. so i bought her the Johnny Cash & Willie Nelson CD for her birthday a couple years ago.. she also likes The Clash, The Stones etc and so do i.

Nobody else on the block likes my music LOL.. Pantera, Slayer, Metallica, Motley Crue, Billy Talent, Anthrax, Rotting Christ, Lynard Skynard, Napalm Death & CKY make up a lot of my collection.

However i own lots of other stuff, i like Billy Joel, Bowling for Soup, Maroon 5, Eric Clapton (cream more really), David Bowie and Depeche Mode.. along with a lot of other stuff.

I think music spans any generation as long as you listen to it for the music and not the statement.

If i am P.O'd i will throw on some Pantera and just get on the guitar... but contrary to popular opinion that calms me down instead of getting me geeked. It's all just a case of compromise anyway.

Written By: gord on 01/29/05 at 1:21 pm

I think music spans any generation as long as you listen to it for the music and not the statement.

Well said, it looks like from the reponses so far that we're not just tolerating each others music but enjoying it and keeping open minds. I can't say that was the case when I was a kid though.

Written By: Alchoholica on 01/29/05 at 1:24 pm

I am gonna be cheeky and assume you grew up in the mid 70's?

Music changed so much from like 68 - 78.. the elders couldn't cope.. LMAO.. my grandmother who is pretty Liberal thinks most of the bands i listen to are evil.. true some are.. but still  ;D

Written By: gord on 01/29/05 at 1:37 pm

I am gonna be cheeky and assume you grew up in the mid 70's?

yeah I'm 40 something, I mean 40 nothing :)

Written By: shiprunner12 on 01/29/05 at 9:36 pm

Yes, I'm in a Christian family so my parents like hymns and crap. But me and my brother like to listen to the more recent faster paced stuff.

Written By: AL-B on 01/31/05 at 1:54 am

As I get older, I find myself liking a lot more of the stuff my parents (who are in their late 60's) listened to, like Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, and Tom Jones, just to name a few. (No Lawrence Welk though!  :P)

Written By: jaytee on 01/31/05 at 4:35 am

We all listen to each others music in our house.  My 16 y.o.  daughter at the moment is into the Jacksons, Billy Joel and Elton John (amongst others).  Daughter number 2 (14 y.o.) is really into all the top 40 stuff which I also listen to.  Sons 11 and 8 have discovered Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Queen and The Doors.  They also love Eminem , Blink 182, Good Charlotte, Green Day, Jet and a lot of top 40 songs.  We have lots and lots of CDs in our house.  Quite often they'll hear a song on an ad or a movie or a bit of a song sampled within another song and ask "have we got that song"?.  The answer is usually "yes" which  leads them to listening to other songs by the same artist.

We also like to have musical Friday nights where we all get in the family room and everyone has a chance to pick a favourite song.  We all listen and have a dance and carry on like pork chops but you're not allowed to criticise anyone's choice but sometimes a fair bit of face pulling happens (usually by me when my husband plays his selection ;D).

Written By: karen on 01/31/05 at 6:49 am

My two children are a litlle young to be really 'into' music.  My six year old daughter likes things like McFly and Busted which we don't mind.  She only has a couple of CDs that are anything recent and they are dance compilations (Pop Party one of them is called which should give you the idea!). 

My son (just turned 3) thinks Bob the Builder is the best song to blare out!  Followed up with the Grand Old Duke of York sang at full volume.

Currently I feel kind of lost music wise.  I don't really get to listen to much current chart type stuff and have no recent CD's (except Best of REM type things)

Growing up I was more influenced by my older brothers than my parents.  My mum likes Cliff Richard and 50's rock and roll stuff.  She also likes anything you can dance to but I'm not sure she buys many records/CDs.  My dad was into a mixture of 50 s stuff, Bill Haley, Status Quo, Roxy Music and Queen.  I've no idea what things he currently listens to.

One brother was into Gary Numan, Kraftwerk, Devo, Echo and the Bunnymen, The Cure and things like that.  The other brother was into punk, Sex Pistols, The Clash, Exploited, Stiff Little Fingers etc.  He liked to play it loud and was often told to turn it down before the neighbours complained.  I think my parents tolerated it although they didn't like the swearing they could hear.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 01/31/05 at 7:04 am

Mercifully it does  :)

My kids grew up with me constantly playing 60s and 70s music, and even though now as 15 and 14 year olds they are also listening to Avril and Eminem amongst other (comments withheld  :P)  when they make compilations they are always asking me if I have such and such a song

My son endeared himself to his teacher in Grade 4, when they were all asked to take their favourite song into class on a cassette tape.  You had to explain the song to the class and why you liked it...

He took in The Kinks - "Lola"  8)  The other kids asked to hear it again  ;D

Written By: nally on 01/31/05 at 10:22 am

My parents grew up in the 50's and 60's, so they mostly like the older stuff. They also enjoy rock from the 70's, like Boston, America, The Cars, and Steely Dan. In fact, they still have some LP records from the 60's and 70's. They like some stuff that came out in the 80's and 90's (Heart, Madonna, k.d. lang, LeAnn Rimes, Savage Garden, among others)...and very little stuff from the 2000's.

I, for one, mostly listen to music from the past 25 years. (I do enjoy some of the older stuff too.) Sometimes when I'm in the car with my mom or dad, I'll find a song that I personally like, but they may not care for it. I don't like any rap from the past 10 years, though (except for Will Smith).

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 01/31/05 at 12:13 pm

My son endeared himself to his teacher in Grade 4, when they were all asked to take their favourite song into class on a cassette tape.  You had to explain the song to the class and why you liked it...

He took in The Kinks - "Lola"  8)   The other kids asked to hear it again  ;D

Very cute story, Luke!  :)

Written By: Howard on 01/31/05 at 7:35 pm

My parents are into doowop(50's and 60's)
I'm into the jamminoldies(70's,80's and early 90's)
My friend Robin is into today's music.

Howard

Written By: MLB on 02/07/05 at 5:05 pm

A resounding YES, from me.  I am just about half my mom's age so I pretty much helped her grow up and all the stuff she listens to I like, and she likes a lot of what I like also.
  Beatles, Boston,old Van Halen up to the 80s,  Santana, Eagles, U2, Sugar Ray, Billy Idol, 1980's hit groups...Police, D2, go-go's, B-52's, etc
        it is a bit one sided tho rightnow because she can't fathom why anyone would want to call themselves the Killers, no matter what they sound like.And anything louder than the occasional Nirvana song has to be changed on the radio or turned down. 

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/07/05 at 5:51 pm

my father hated music. for him, the day the music died is when buddy holly fell from the sky. my mother is into country gospel and soothing christian hyms and i am into goth and dark romantic music. right now my son is the centre of a musical battle between my taste in music versus his mother's taste in pop/R&B (blech)...so far he likes both.

Written By: Howard on 02/07/05 at 7:33 pm

Both my parents are into doo-wop as for me,the oldies 70's & 80's.

Howard

Written By: 80s Lady on 02/07/05 at 10:55 pm

For the most part yes.  I listen to and am open to all kinds of music, some more than others of course.  The thing that tickles me is all these new groups doing remakes of the older stuff.  Yesterday I walked into my son's room where he and his buddies were hanging out and started groovin' to the music, singing and dancing.  He thought I was soooo cool cause I knew all the words to a "Korn" song.  I knew I was just having a "Cameo" flashback from the late 80s!!!   ;) (BTW, the song was "Word Up", if ya didn't know that already.)

Written By: karen on 02/08/05 at 5:05 am

The thing that tickles me is all these new groups doing remakes of the older stuff.  Yesterday I walked into my son's room where he and his buddies were hanging out and started groovin' to the music, singing and dancing.  He thought I was soooo cool cause I knew all the words to a "Korn" song.  I knew I was just having a "Cameo" flashback from the late 80s!!!  ;) (BTW, the song was "Word Up", if ya didn't know that already.)

I had a similar thing when a 'The Tide is High' cover version was released here.  (Sugababes maybe?)  My daughter and I sang it at a karaoke.

Written By: whitewolf on 02/08/05 at 8:48 am

My 16 year old Daughter says I am stuck in the 80s, until I reminder her that most of the music she listens too are remakes of the 80s. so now she "borrows" most of my tapes.
Growing up my mom and dad listened to country-the old stuff, Charlie Pride, Tammy Wynette, George Jones, stull like that. I liked them then and still do.

I like some of the new stuff that my daughter likes.
My six year son old likes Hoobastank
My 3 year old likes anything she hears on Treehouse.

Written By: Gis on 02/08/05 at 9:18 am

I had a similar thing when a 'The Tide is High' cover version was released here.  (Sugababes maybe?)  My daughter and I sang it at a karaoke.
I know I shouldn't be doing this because it shows I know but it was actually Atomic Kitten who did their own awful version.

Written By: Gis on 02/08/05 at 9:29 am

Well strangly U2 seem to have spanned my family's musical tastes. My older brother was into punk and metal,my sister goth,and myself glam metal but we all loved U2 and still listen to them now.My Mum loves them too.

My Dad used to find it amusing that I liked Eddie Cochran and other things that he listened to 'when I was your age' I do find things that used to get played around the house when I was a kid are very nostalgic for me know.The Beatles,The Carpenters,The Eagles,Simon and Garfunkel etc.
I amazed my fiance by being word perfect to some Neil Diamond songs, infact I surprised myself as I haven't heard them for years.My Mum played his stuff all the time so it obviously registered and stuck somewhere in my brain!     

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/08/05 at 10:06 am

Since USUALLY there is only one generation in the house, that is a hard question to answer. But we have stuff from the 40s (big band era) to stuff which came out a few years agos so I would say yes. Carlos' dad spent a summer with us a few years back and we had some music that he liked. The funny thing was, when I played "American Pie" he knew the song and knew what it was about. Both Carlos and I were impressed with that. When my dad comes to visit (on those very rare occations), he usually goes strieght for my classical stuff and my mother usually goes for my musicals. There was one time Carlos' youngest had a few friends over and they were reaching for my Madonna, Paula Abaul, and a few other CDs that I have. So, I like to think that in my music library, there is something for everyone.

Cat

Written By: gord on 02/08/05 at 10:33 am

Since USUALLY there is only one generation in the house, that is a hard question to answer.

Cat

What about when you were growing up Cat ?  You're about my age I think, Did your Parents 'get' your music then ?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/08/05 at 11:21 am

What about when you were growing up Cat ?  You're about my age I think, Did your Parents 'get' your music then ?

I remember one of my siblings listening to Tommy Roe's Dizzy and I can't remember which parent saying, "This song is making me dizzy."

A few years ago, my cousin got married in L.A. My brother was so excited because they were going to stay in the Hotel California. He told my dad that and my dad said, "Yeah? So?" My brother said something like, "wrong generation." But, my dad does have some Beatles in his collection. But on the whole, I would say probably not. I would listen to their music more than they listened to mine.

Cat

Written By: gord on 02/09/05 at 5:27 am

A few years ago, my cousin got married in L.A. My brother was so excited because they were going to stay in the Hotel California. He told my dad that and my dad said, "Yeah? So?" My brother said something like, "wrong generation." But, my dad does have some Beatles in his collection.

Cat

A few Beatles albums is not so bad, better than my dads. So Hotel California ,is that a real hotel ?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/09/05 at 9:30 am

A few Beatles albums is not so bad, better than my dads. So Hotel California ,is that a real hotel ?

There are actually a few of them.

Cat

Written By: Mona on 02/09/05 at 10:23 am

If i am P.O'd i will throw on some Pantera and just get on the guitar... but contrary to popular opinion that calms me down instead of getting me geeked. It's all just a case of compromise anyway.

My husband does the same thing.  After a  bad day at work it's Pantera full blast on the drive home.  Like you say, it calms him down and he is in a good mood by the time he gets home.

My 16 year old daughter and I like a lot of the same music.  She likes the 60's stuff.  I would say there is more of hers I don't like than vice versa.  I lean away from the heavy metal stuff but she and my hubby like it.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/27/07 at 6:33 am

*BUMP*

Thought this would be an interesting topic to get a new take on. To start off with me, back in the actual, real 1980s I was exposed to a variety of (for then) new stuff as well as classics. My parents both liked a good chunk of '80s pop, my mom especially, who often bought tapes and listened to pop stations and stuff. As far as the older music, which was more from my dad - I liked some of it and couldn't get into some of the less pop-friendly stuff.

What I did like was '60s and early '70s pop and classic rock (not quite true oldies back then in the mid-late '80s, but approaching it) such as The Beatles, Motown songs, Rolling Stones and scattered singer-songwriter pop like "A Horse With No Name". As time passed, I came to consider that my heritage on the same level as the current music, because I grew up on both. The other side of older generation music included jazz, Frank Sinatra-type crooners, classical, showtunes and the like. Some of that used to give me an "Ewww, do we have to listen to this?" type reaction to myself in the car, lol...although I've come to appreciate it with time. ;)

Since then, I guess it's pretty much the same, although I've added alot of '90s and some select '00s into my collection too. My mom has liked new music since then, but my dad kinda stops after about the 1988-1991ish time. My other relatives are pretty open minded, I don't think any of them flat out shunned Eighties music or anything. My uncle on my mom's side likes old-school punk/underground for instance too, so I guess I was always around alot, lol.

Written By: Howard on 09/27/07 at 6:41 am

My parents enjoy listening to the doo-wop of the 1950's and 60's and as for me,the 70's,80's,and 90's.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/27/07 at 6:53 am

My parents really aren't big music people these days, I'm the main music buff in the house. My mom listens to some stuff, mainly easy listening A/C type stuff and country. My dad idk just doesn't care about music now, lol. When I really got started on music I listened to all pop generally, around 2005 I expanded and started listening to more alternative rock type stuff, lately I've dabbled in some older and indie stuff as well. I'm usually a singles listener, so usually I focus on individual favorite songs rather than albums, I don't really listen to whole albums much...that's just how I am. My music collection on my computer has to be one of the most varied out there, I have some of just about everything.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/27/07 at 7:35 am

My parents really aren't big music people these days, I'm the main music buff in the house. My mom listens to some stuff, mainly easy listening A/C type stuff and country. My dad idk just doesn't care about music now, lol. When I really got started on music I listened to all pop generally, around 2005 I expanded and started listening to more alternative rock type stuff, lately I've dabbled in some older and indie stuff as well. I'm usually a singles listener, so usually I focus on individual favorite songs rather than albums, I don't really listen to whole albums much...that's just how I am. My music collection on my computer has to be one of the most varied out there, I have some of just about everything.

Yeah, I've pretty much only gone one way and expanded (but everything I ever liked I still do). I've always been more of a pop radio listener, but starting around Junior Year of high school c. 1998, I expanded my tastes a bit to everything else whether it was current or older (i.e. heavy metal, some hip hop). Having the option of looking online helped too, lol. Even if I don't end up liking something, I always at least give it a chance to grow on me.

I'm not so sure about now, but back in 1999 or 2000 when I was in the car more often with them, my mom liked Kid Rock or songs like "Wherever You Will Go" in the early '00s. I don't think my dad moved past the late '80s for current music, but for being around 50 at the time, that's still pretty amazing overall.

Written By: Tam on 09/27/07 at 12:13 pm

My 12 year old loves all kinds of music.
He mostly enjoys hip hop and R&B, but lately he has gotten into my stack of 80's and has found Duran Duran (I am so proud!) and Metallica. He did go through a phase with the Spice Girls (aargh) and Aqua but obviously that was when he was much younger. I play guitar and when I do, he comes and sits and listens. Sometimes he will jump in and sing but when other people are around he acts the shy part.I have never had to ask him to 'turn that crap down' - sometimes I have had to yell 'Turn it up!!!'

Tam

Ok, so a lot has changed since this post. ;D

The Son is 15 now and pretty much rejects everything but emo/punk. Actually, he still listens to my 80's and some of my 90's, but thankfully he no longer listens to rap. (Rap nowadays sucks anymore so no big deal right?) It kills me that he had no idea that punk was around in the 80's. When I showed him that the song from the new Taco Bell commercial (I melt with you) he couldn't believe it. Mind you, this is awesome for me because now I am hoping to introduce him to The Cure and Flock of Seagulls etc. once I get them downloaded!!!!

Our household is a lot different now too. Hubby introduced The Son to Motown a couple years ago, and it ended up being a semi-hit!  Hubby also likes rap, r&b, hip hop and some pop - but he is finally come over to enjoy some serious alternative music too.

For me, growing up was pretty hard with a country lovin' father and a 60's bubble gum lovin' mother. Anything and everything I played my dad called crap and my mom called Aspirin (for the headache it apparently gave her.) However, they both can tell you today almost every hit Duran Duran, Madonna, Cyndi Lauper and Glass Tiger had, to name a few. I will admit though, if it weren't for them, I don't think I would have ever given The Eagles, Neil Sedaka, The Grass Roots, Roberta Flack or The Band a chance!

Currently though, I am completely enthralled in the Motown sound. My absolute favorite Motown song right now is Night Shift by The Commodores. It calms me when I am feeling stressed. But give me some James & Bobby Purify, The Four Tops, Marvin Gaye, The Temptations, Stevie Wonder and some Mary Wells and I am in seventh heaven!

Written By: whistledog on 09/27/07 at 1:02 pm

My dad listens to mostly instrumental piano music.  My mom listens to pretty much anything that isn't crappy LOL

When I was growing up, I pretty much listened to whatever was on the radio.  My mom had a few LPs that I used to listen to, these spring to mind:

♦ Bee Gee's Greatest (1979)
♦ K-Tel's Hot Nights and City Lights (1979)

Written By: statsqueen on 09/27/07 at 1:21 pm

Since my daughter (soon to be 18) used to spend summers at the lake with my parents, she grew up listening to 70s (Earth, Wind & Fire, Barry White, Bee Gees, Alicia Bridges, etc.) and still likes it.  i like some of it (I have great Stevie Wonder & EWF CDs).  She also likes rap, R/B, and "traditional" stuff that is popular on the radio.  I like some of it, but not much of the rap.  However, she willingly goes to listen to live Celtic and jazz with me--and loves a lot of the smooth jazz I listen to.  We both like Nelly, Maroon 5, and other "popular" artists.  I occasionally have to ask her to turn it down, but more often or not, I don't change the volume.

Check for new replies or respond here...