inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Animal Emotions

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/02/05 at 2:12 pm

I say yes.  :)

Subject: Re: Animal Emotions

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/02/05 at 2:27 pm

Sure, but what has this to do with politics or religion?  Although our cats have both expressed their displeasure with the current administration.  They growl every time they see Lil' Georgie on the tube.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/02/05 at 2:32 pm

Sure, but what has this to do with politics or religion?  Although our cats have both expressed their displeasure with the current administration.  They growl every time they see Lil' Georgie on the tube.

Nothing directly Carlos, but it could easily fall into the lap of either. Christianity seems to think animals are emotional to some extent, but still advocate use and sometimes abuse for human needs.  If they are ever proven to be as dumb as rocks than that will make it legal to do just about anything to them, like dolls.

Written By: Apricot on 02/02/05 at 2:40 pm

Our cats have both expressed their displeasure with the current administration.  They growl every time they see Lil' Georgie on the tube.

My dog barks at cats on TV! He tries to chase them and runs into the wall. Incidentally, he's an idiot.  ;D

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/02/05 at 2:42 pm

My dog barks at cats on TV! He tries to chase them and runs into the wall. Incidentally, he's an idiot. 

So you voted "Yes", right? 

BTW funny sig line.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/02/05 at 2:43 pm

Whoever voted "no" I'd like to hear their reasons.  I'm not trying to threaten him, I just want to hear their case.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/02/05 at 3:48 pm

Animals have emotions, but it's important not to be anthrocentric when interpreting these emotions.  Animals don't think in narratives the way people do.  They have only a sense orientation.
Maybe dolphins have a narrative ability.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/02/05 at 5:08 pm

Animals have emotions, but it's important not to be anthrocentric when interpreting these emotions.  Animals don't think in narratives the way people do.  They have only a sense orientation.
Maybe dolphins have a narrative ability.

You mean they feel sad, fear, happy etc.  but they don't think?  Like they have emotions on the spot and can't hold grudges, mourn dead, etc.?  I sorta think that might be the case except for the apes, dolphins, elephants, etc. 

Although I've seen some pissed off dogs before.

Written By: neebs25 on 02/02/05 at 7:03 pm

All I know is that when my cat comes to greet me in the morning by rolling all over my bare feet and purring, I know she loves me. :)  Now....my goldfish are another story. ::)

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/02/05 at 7:11 pm

All I know is that when my cat comes to greet me in the morning by rolling all over my bare feet and purring, I know she loves me.    Now....my goldfish are another story.

Yeah definitely mammals, birds, reptiles.  Its the fish I don't know about.  I think they're conscious beings, but I doubt they have emotions.

Written By: neebs25 on 02/02/05 at 7:45 pm

All I know is that when my cat comes to greet me in the morning by rolling all over my bare feet and purring, I know she loves me.    Now....my goldfish are another story.

Yeah definitely mammals, birds, reptiles.  Its the fish I don't know about.  I think they're conscious beings, but I doubt they have emotions.

Yeah, I highly doubt fish have much up their, but even sometimes I feel bad when I go fishing and have to pull the hook out and put him back.  But I'm kinda silly like that :D

Written By: Dagwood on 02/02/05 at 9:30 pm

My dog barks at cats on TV! He tries to chase them and runs into the wall. Incidentally, he's an idiot. ;D

My sister's dogs do that too....she can't watch a tv show with animals because they will sit and bark until the show is over.

I voted yes.  Just watching my cat, you can tell he has emotions. Mostly it is snooty, but you can see happy and scared.  Playful and mad are alot alike. 

(Fullhousefan...at the top right of each post is a link to reply with quote.  It makes replying to someone easier than copy/paste. :) )

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/02/05 at 10:09 pm

Yes, but that doesn't mean they are equal to humans, IMHO.

Tanya

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/02/05 at 10:28 pm

Yes, but that doesn't mean they are equal to humans, IMHO.

Tanya

Animals and humans are hard to compare. IMO it's worse to kill a human because we know for sure that they're sentient and they can make a difference in the world, whereas animals just do their share.  I wouldn't say human beings are superior in every respect, although they are "smarter".

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/02/05 at 11:03 pm

My sister's dogs do that too....she can't watch a tv show with animals because they will sit and bark until the show is over.

I voted yes. Just watching my cat, you can tell he has emotions. Mostly it is snooty, but you can see happy and scared. Playful and mad are alot alike.

(Fullhousefan...at the top right of each post is a link to reply with quote. It makes replying to someone easier than copy/paste. :) )

Thanks, Dagwood :)

Written By: goodsin on 02/03/05 at 9:19 am

I think some mammals do indicate emotion, but I take the point that we should be careful that our perceptions are not just anthropomorphic.

One thing has struck me- I regard fear as an emotion. Whilst most animals have an instinctive "fight or flight" reaction, I wonder how many of them "feel" fear, rather than just reacting to circumstances that would cause it. Any opinions?

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/03/05 at 1:09 pm

I think some mammals do indicate emotion, but I take the point that we should be careful that our perceptions are not just anthropomorphic.

One thing has struck me- I regard fear as an emotion. Whilst most animals have an instinctive "fight or flight" reaction, I wonder how many of them "feel" fear, rather than just reacting to circumstances that would cause it. Any opinions?

I think they feel it.  I think instincts are really more feelings than they are reflexes anyway. 

Written By: Leo Jay on 02/03/05 at 1:24 pm

They don't have emotions in the way we know them.  Whatever they do have, we can call them 'emotions', but it's a meaningless label.  Our emotions are largely dependent on not events themselves, but in our interpretations of the events, which in turn are largely based on our presumptions of what 'should be' or 'should not be'. 

If our 100-year old grandmother dies of some disease, we're sad, but we generally don't 'suffer' over it, because we 'expected' her to die soon of something sooner or later anyway.  But if our 2-year old son dies painlessly of some disease, we're often not only 'sad' about it, but we suffer emotionally over it because to our thinking, that 'shouldn't' have happened.

I doubt that animals are similarly oriented.  When I step on a baby cockroach, I don't think the mother agonizes "Why oh why did God let that happen?  He was just a baby..."

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/03/05 at 4:10 pm

They don't have emotions in the way we know them.  Whatever they do have, we can call them 'emotions', but it's a meaningless label.  Our emotions are largely dependent on not events themselves, but in our interpretations of the events, which in turn are largely based on our presumptions of what 'should be' or 'should not be'. 

If our 100-year old grandmother dies of some disease, we're sad, but we generally don't 'suffer' over it, because we 'expected' her to die soon of something sooner or later anyway.  But if our 2-year old son dies painlessly of some disease, we're often not only 'sad' about it, but we suffer emotionally over it because to our thinking, that 'shouldn't' have happened.

I doubt that animals are similarly oriented. When I step on a baby cockroach, I don't think the mother agonizes "Why oh why did God let that happen? He was just a baby..."

I actually agree to some extent.  I think adavanced animals can have long term feelings but lizards?  No, they have feelings, but short-term ones.  Bugs probably don't have any emotion and fish very little.

Written By: lorac614 on 02/03/05 at 4:17 pm

My dog barks at cats on TV! He tries to chase them and runs into the wall. Incidentally, he's an idiot.  ;D

Hey at least thats better than barking at his own reflection in the mirror...My dog isn't too bright!!!  LOL!!

Written By: shiprunner12 on 02/03/05 at 4:23 pm

I think that animals have emotions. Whenever my cat gets mad he puts his ears back and starts flicking his tail. This shows that he is experiencing the emotion called anger. Also when my dog is outside while I'm eating he will whine at the door so that I will let him back in and give him some food. So he is sad which is an emotion.

Written By: jaytee on 02/03/05 at 4:24 pm

Yep!

Written By: Howard on 02/03/05 at 5:46 pm

What about pigeons and squirrels? ;D

Howard

Written By: Rio_Rhodes on 02/03/05 at 6:02 pm

Yes, I think animals have emotions. I work with dogs everyday and have two cats at home(used to be four cats)....

Rio

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/03/05 at 6:44 pm

Howard
]

Yes, I think even they're sentient.  :)

;D

Written By: Tam on 02/04/05 at 3:15 am

Yes they do.

But can it be said that they feel our emotions?
It seems everytime I am sick or upset my cat "seems" to know. She will follow me around the house or lay in the bed right by my head. Even when I move she gets up and looks at me, sniffs at me and they repositions herself so that she is even closer to my face.
Weird?

Tam

Written By: NbC on 02/04/05 at 3:38 am

Of course animals feel emotions.  Many run on basic instinct which we can interpret as emotions but more advanced animals do show true emotions.  I don't believe any other animal would ever measure up to the emotions that humans feel though.  hmmm.....most humans. 

Written By: goodsin on 02/04/05 at 4:52 am

Howard

Hey Howard, I notice you've asked questions about pigeons & squirrels before- are they the major wildlife group in your area? Are you still trying to catch them?  ;)

A woman I used to live with had a Wiemaraner (sp?) dog, whenevr she left the house, it would howl it's head off with plaintive moans until she returned. That to me indicates the dog 'missed' it's owner, which must count as a display of emotion.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 02/04/05 at 4:26 pm

Yes...

Just can't stand the organisations set up to help protect them. (PETA, SAFE, WWF ... all loco - PETA mainly)

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/04/05 at 4:29 pm

Yes...

Just can't stand the organisations set up to help protect them. (PETA, SAFE, WWF ... all loco - PETA mainly)

I agree with their motives, but imo you can never justify being GLAD somebody was murdered or justify blowing up stuff and killing people.  They only hurt their cause anyway. 

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 02/04/05 at 4:43 pm

I agree with their motives, but imo you can never justify being GLAD somebody was murdered or justify blowing up stuff and killing people.  They only hurt their cause anyway. 

Exactly... I agree with the ideology behind what they do, it's the length they go to to push their ideas on other people. (Like spilling paint on expensive fur clothing, handing out quite explicit flyers to children etc) Kinda reminds me of a particular religious group... (won't go there)

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/04/05 at 4:45 pm

Exactly... I agree with the ideology behind what they do, it's the length they go to to push their ideas on other people. (Like spilling paint on expensive fur clothing, handing out quite explicit flyers to children etc) Kinda reminds me of a particular religious group... (won't go there)

I agree GoodRedShirt.  Although fur clothing is despicable to wear today in the Age of Synthetic Fabric.  But I don't advocate spilling paint on it, that's vandalism.  If it really changed people's minds, sure, but it doesn't.  But handing flyers out to children ... that's sick  >:(

Written By: Howard on 02/04/05 at 5:27 pm

Hey Howard, I notice you've asked questions about pigeons & squirrels before- are they the major wildlife group in your area? Are you still trying to catch them?  ;)

A woman I used to live with had a Wiemaraner (sp?) dog, whenevr she left the house, it would howl it's head off with plaintive moans until she returned. That to me indicates the dog 'missed' it's owner, which must count as a display of emotion.

I feed pigeons and squirrels almost every time I see them and no I can't even catch them.They're sneaky but no I can't grab them. ;D

Howard

Written By: Howard on 02/04/05 at 5:28 pm

]

Yes, I think even they're sentient.  :)

;D

I guess they know when fear is coming.

Howard

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/04/05 at 5:30 pm

Fear might be common to all vertebrates IMO (the most simple true emotion, would you agree).

Actually one time I touched a squirrel and it scratched me.

Written By: Howard on 02/04/05 at 5:33 pm

Fear might be common to all vertebrates IMO (the most simple true emotion, would you agree).

Actually one time I touched a squirrel and it scratched me.

I fed a squirrel bread and it went off happy. :)

Howard

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/04/05 at 5:36 pm

I fed a squirrel bread and it went off happy.

Howard

That's nice  :)  Did he chatter? That's big wildlife in New York, huh?  ;D  Here in the Willamette Valley of Oregon we get bobcats and deer in the city.
I wouldn't feed woodland animals though, they get used to human food and won't eat anything else.  As a result they starve.

Written By: Howard on 02/04/05 at 5:37 pm

I fed a squirrel bread and it went off happy.

Howard

That's nice  :)  Did he chatter? That's big wildlife in New York, huh?  ;D   Here in the Willamette Valley of Oregon we get bobcats and deer in the city.
I wouldn't feed woodland animals though, they get used to human food and won't eat anything else.  As a result they starve.

here in NYC,pigeons are finicky eaters.They would also fight over food. ;D

Howard

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/04/05 at 5:40 pm

here in NYC,pigeons are finicky eaters.They would also fight over food.

Howard

Offtopic Howard, but you live in Queens right?  What are the Long Island sections of New York City like? 

And isn't Staten Island kinda suburbanish?  It's weird how close NYC is to New England too.

Written By: Bobby on 02/04/05 at 5:46 pm

I said yes. Even if most stem from basic desires (like hunger, feeling sleepy etc).

Written By: Howard on 02/04/05 at 6:45 pm

here in NYC,pigeons are finicky eaters.They would also fight over food.

Howard

Offtopic Howard, but you live in Queens right?  What are the Long Island sections of New York City like? 

And isn't Staten Island kinda suburbanish?  It's weird how close NYC is to New England too.

Yes.I live in Queens and I'm not sure about The Long Island sections are.sorry. :(

Howard

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/04/05 at 6:53 pm

Yes.I live in Queens and I'm not sure about The Long Island sections are.sorry.

Howard

No need to apologize  :)

Written By: Howard on 02/04/05 at 7:02 pm

Yes.I live in Queens and I'm not sure about The Long Island sections are.sorry.

Howard

No need to apologize  :)

you live in Queens FHF? ???

Howard

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/04/05 at 7:04 pm

you live in Queens FHF? ???

Howard

No I live in Oregon.  That was your quout (sorry I didn't use the thing, it takes awhile on dialup)

Written By: Howard on 02/04/05 at 7:06 pm

No I live in Oregon.  That was your quout (sorry I didn't use the thing, it takes awhile on dialup)

how's the weather there? :)

Howard

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/04/05 at 7:08 pm

how's the weather there?

Howard

Drier than usual now. Normally we get about 1 snowfall per year (very very light), but about 40-50 inches of rain, mostly in the winter.
-FHF

Written By: Howard on 02/04/05 at 7:33 pm

how's the weather there?

Howard

Drier than usual now. Normally we get about 1 snowfall per year (very very light), but about 40-50 inches of rain, mostly in the winter.
-FHF

what animals are around your area?

Howard

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/04/05 at 7:36 pm

Beavers, nutrias, ducks, geese, deer, raccoons, bobcats, (rare) bears, squirrels, sparrows, an occasional pigeon, insects, spiders, cats, dogs, etc.

Check for new replies or respond here...