inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: CALLING ALL COIN COLLECTORS!!!

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/02/05 at 11:45 pm

I am an avid collector of United States Gold, Small Cents, and US silver.  Any other "numismatists" on the board?

Subject: Re: CALLING ALL COIN COLLECTORS!!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/03/05 at 10:36 am

Oh cool. I posted a thread like this on the 2000s and had a few replies. I collect EVERYTHING-both foriegn and demestic, paper and coins, etc. But lately, my obsession has been the Morgan dollars. I would LOVE to get a Morgan CC but they are so d@mn expensive if I want to get one in any decent shape.

Cat

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/03/05 at 10:54 am

I have a lot of foreign, US and British coins. In front of me now i just have a couple of dollar coins, 2001 and 1979. Lemme go hunting, back in 2 shakes  :P..

Ok.. i also have a v.special Brookfield wooden nickel  ;D,  One of the older $2 bills and then somewhere in here (with my social security number no doubt) i have a dollar coin from before the War as well which makes it pretty old. But my best collection is arabian interestingly enough. I have coins coming in at somewhere in the region of £150. Most are Saudi and Egyptian.

Is anybody else collecting the Statheood quaters. Living in england i have found it hard to get them and am missing about 5 so far. If anybody has a bunch of extra ones PM Me and we can discuss it.

Written By: karen on 02/03/05 at 11:05 am

I like collecting money, sadly I like spending it even more  :D

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/03/05 at 1:01 pm

Oh cool. I posted a thread like this on the 2000s and had a few replies. I collect EVERYTHING-both foriegn and demestic, paper and coins, etc. But lately, my obsession has been the Morgan dollars. I would LOVE to get a Morgan CC but they are so d@mn expensive if I want to get one in any decent shape.

Cat

I used to collect Morgans.  I'm more into pennies, dimes, nickels, and old United States gold now.  I actually have a Carson City dollar in decent shape (low uncirculated).  I got it for xmas but it cost $150! Big sum but I don't really buy much else  ;D

Do you have an 1881-S?  Those things are struck so well!  (but are common).  Sometime I'll post by certified MS63 1921 Denver Morgan Dollar.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/03/05 at 4:29 pm

I used to have low four figures in coins, but I sold off about 40% of the value so now its around a $700 collection.  I'm planning to buy about $500 in coins soon, though.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/05/05 at 2:53 pm

I used to collect Morgans.  I'm more into pennies, dimes, nickels, and old United States gold now.  I actually have a Carson City dollar in decent shape (low uncirculated).  I got it for xmas but it cost $150! Big sum but I don't really buy much else  ;D

Do you have an 1881-S?  Those things are struck so well!  (but are common).  Sometime I'll post by certified MS63 1921 Denver Morgan Dollar.

I do have an 1881 but not an "s". I do have a couple of "o"s. I have a MS60 1883-O and a 1896-O but it is not graded and my guess would be about good or fine but I am no expert at grading them. I almost spent about $200 on a CC just resently on ebay but someone out-bid me. It was just as well. I kept asking myself, "Do I really want to spend THAT much on a coin?" I also have a 1921 but I can't make out the mint mark-too tiny. (could be a D or an S) but is not as near as condition that yours is in. My guess again, good to fine. I do have a few that are in really good condition but they are not graded.

I have a couple of really nice Peace Dollars but they aren't graded either. I do have a PR67 (proof) 1962 Franklin half dollar.

Is there any coin that you REALLY want to add to your collection? Like I said, for me it would be a Morgan CC.

Cat

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/06/05 at 12:01 am

I do have an 1881 but not an "s". I do have a couple of "o"s. I have a MS60 1883-O and a 1896-O but it is not graded and my guess would be about good or fine but I am no expert at grading them. I almost spent about $200 on a CC just resently on ebay but someone out-bid me. It was just as well. I kept asking myself, "Do I really want to spend THAT much on a coin?" I also have a 1921 but I can't make out the mint mark-too tiny. (could be a D or an S) but is not as near as condition that yours is in. My guess again, good to fine. I do have a few that are in really good condition but they are not graded.

I have a couple of really nice Peace Dollars but they aren't graded either. I do have a PR67 (proof) 1962 Franklin half dollar.

Is there any coin that you REALLY want to add to your collection? Like I said, for me it would be a Morgan CC.

Cat

Well, Cat, I will spend up to $300 on a coin when and if I can (the most I've spent is $370, but that was after selling some other coins), although I rarely buy coins over $200,  but I would love a $20 Liberty Gold Coin, preferably a slightly rarer date.  But they cost $450 at the very least and I'd rather buy 2 or 3 smaller gold pieces.  :) $450 for a single coin is a bit too much for me usually.

For CC Morgans I would suggest an 1884-CC.  They're a bit pricier than the 83s but they're among the most common and an Uncirc would cost $200 or a tad less.  The 1882-CC are a bit scarcer than both, but also cost $20-$40 more.  http://C:\Documents and Settings\MICHAEL\My Documents\My Pictures\morgie.bmp

Written By: Bobby on 02/06/05 at 6:36 am

I do have a small coin collection too, Mike. Mainly consist of old foreign money (pesatas, drachmas etc) but I have a couple of threpenny bits (pardon me all you londoners out there  ;D), a half crown and some old pennies.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/06/05 at 3:09 pm

I do have a small coin collection too, Mike. Mainly consist of old foreign money (pesatas, drachmas etc) but I have a couple of threpenny bits (pardon me all you londoners out there  ;D), a half crown and some old pennies.

We have a set of English pennies with Elizabeth, George VI, George V, Edward VII, and Victoria. They are not in great condition and I'm not really too sure how they got into our collection. They were Carlos' when we combined our collections. Another thing he added were a bunch of German Reichsbanknote Marks from before WWII. You can see where they reprinted over the amount due to inflation. (His father won them in a poker game coming back from the Normandy invasion.)

Cat

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/06/05 at 3:19 pm

I do have a small coin collection too, Mike. Mainly consist of old foreign money (pesatas, drachmas etc) but I have a couple of threpenny bits (pardon me all you londoners out there ;D), a half crown and some old pennies.

That's cool Bobby. World coin collectors are the "realest" collectors imo, liking coins primarily for history and value.

Written By: Bobby on 02/06/05 at 3:55 pm

That's cool Bobby. World coin collectors are the "realest" collectors imo, liking coins primarily for history and value.

:)

Written By: jiminy on 03/12/05 at 7:59 am

I once thought I had a rare buffalo nickel with five legs but I later found out that the buffalo was just well endowed  ;D

Written By: karen on 04/29/05 at 7:31 am

thought of this thread when I read this news item on the BBC page

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4486173.stm

A bank in Canada issued some mint condition £1 notes recently.  The notes stopped been legal tender in 1988 after being replaced by coins some five years earlier!

Has anyone else heard of something similar happening?

Check for new replies or respond here...