inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Meaning of names

Written By: shiprunner12 on 02/05/05 at 12:37 pm

Throughout my time on the boards I have come across some names that I have no idea what they mean or where they'd come from. Some of them are easier to understand, like if your real name is in it.

My name is shiprunner12 because I go to a high school that goes by Ship for short, also I'm a runner on the track and x-country team for that school, and 12 is just a random number I chose.

Subject: Re: Meaning of names

Written By: fragswife on 02/05/05 at 12:45 pm

Cool Shiprunner12!  Great name.

My name derives from my husband's online gaming name from years ago.  He used to use Fragginstein as his online name.  For all those British folks out there...  To Frag someone when gaming, means to kill them - not what it refers to in the UK  ;)

His name is derived partially from the "frag," partially from "frankenstein," and believe it or not a portion of our last name is in there as well.

There you have it!

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/05/05 at 2:27 pm

Alchohol + Metallica = Alchoholica

Written By: AchtungBaby on 02/05/05 at 2:30 pm

Named after my favorite U2 Album.

Written By: whitewolf on 02/05/05 at 4:05 pm

I am part native, and one traditional belief is that everyone has a spirit animal.

Mine is a whitewolf.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/05/05 at 4:19 pm

I am part native, and one traditional belief is that everyone has a spirit animal.

Mine is a whitewolf.

cool, i'm half cree, my animal is the raven.

my name is derived from the 80s band, sigue sigue sputnik.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 02/05/05 at 4:25 pm

Fanatic is a slang term for 'nut'...so mine means that I'm nuts (crazy) about ceramics.  :D

Written By: Paul on 02/05/05 at 4:42 pm

Er...

Actually, 'Paul' is Hebrew-ish for 'small'...read into that what you will...!!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 02/05/05 at 4:43 pm

Er...

Actually, 'Paul' is Hebrew-ish for 'small'...read into that what you will...!!

Well I like the name Paul.  :)

Written By: Paul on 02/05/05 at 4:46 pm

Well I like the name Paul.  :)

Oh, you're too kind, you nut...!!

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/05/05 at 4:48 pm

cool, i'm half cree, my animal is the raven.

my name is derived from the 80s band, sigue sigue sputnik.

I am part Sioux, is there anyway of knowing what your animal is?

Written By: neebs25 on 02/05/05 at 4:51 pm

Mine is a moderation of my last name.  My friends often refer to me as neebs.  The 25th is my birthday (June 25) and also the age I will be this year. :)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 02/05/05 at 4:54 pm

Oh, you're too kind, you nut...!!

;)

Written By: Dagwood on 02/05/05 at 5:10 pm

A nickname I had in high school.

Written By: whitewolf on 02/05/05 at 5:31 pm

I am part Sioux, is there anyway of knowing what your animal is?

it usually comes to you in a dream, the animal that helps you or guides you in your dreams, also it may be an animal that you should be scared of but are not.

Hope this helps

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/05/05 at 5:36 pm

Here in England foxes are known to bite people, i walked up and stroked one and petted it on the head before it loped off. Maybe that would be my animal.

Written By: whitewolf on 02/05/05 at 5:43 pm

It's possible.

I would love to see a real wolf up close.

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/05/05 at 5:45 pm

I think the Wolf is a beautiful animal.. it's basically a dog that hasn't been messed with by man. A free & powerfull dog.

Written By: whitewolf on 02/05/05 at 5:48 pm

I think the Wolf is a beautiful animal.. it's basically a dog that hasn't been messed with by man. A free & powerfull dog.

I think so too.

Written By: Howard on 02/05/05 at 8:56 pm

Howard IS my real name so there is no meaning. ;D

Howard

Written By: gemini61 on 02/05/05 at 9:02 pm

Gemini is my astrological sign and 61 is the year I was born. Nothing too exciting.  :)

Written By: ktelqueen on 02/05/05 at 9:19 pm

copied from my september post..

ktelqueen was given to me at work about seven years ago...every time someone needed to know the answer to a music trivia question or name a one-hit wonder song or artist,they came to me.that,along with the fact that i still have all of my albums from childhood and onward(many k-tel)inspired a co-worker to give me the name and it stuck.it's very me    :)

note: i am not the 'queen of kettles' as a new work associate(early 20s and had never heard of K-Tel records)thought   ::) ;D

Written By: gemini61 on 02/05/05 at 9:24 pm

note: i am not the 'queen of kettles' as a new work associate(early 20s and had never heard of K-Tel records)thought   ::) ;D

Kettle Queen, huh!  ;D  Out of the mouths of babes  ;)

Written By: ktelqueen on 02/05/05 at 9:25 pm

Kettle Queen, huh!   ;D  Out of the mouths of babes  ;)

mahaha..no kidding!!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 02/05/05 at 11:51 pm

ROFL!  ;D

Written By: ktelqueen on 02/05/05 at 11:54 pm

ROFL!  ;D

so was i  ;D

Written By: Bobby on 02/06/05 at 6:45 am

What he said was a different k-tel of fish altogether . . .  ::)  ;D

Modified to add: Forgot to include myself there, lol. Bobby, IMO, is a friendlier way of using my real name Rob or Robert (probably inspired by Dallas or something). Robert means 'of shining reputation' or 'bright fame'. Well . . . That's cool by me.  8)

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/06/05 at 7:31 am

Well out of curiosity i had a look at what my name means.. and then i did some more research.. anywho... anybody who belives in the whole reflection of slef stuff better respect ma authoritah!

Andrew = MAN! (Strong, Tough etc) also patron saint of Scotland, Russia & Greece.
George = Earthworker. (Hard Worker  ::)) Also patron saint of England, Portugal & Catalonia. I also slayed Dragons apparently.
My surname is a hard one, it is obviously derived from something else but there are almost no records of any Rocks anywhere, Roche seems a popular one that it could have been derived from but alas there is no record of that anywhere either.

From my research i have discoverd that many 'Roches' moved over during the Norman conquests and settled in Ireland (one of them was a very powerfull Lord) i also know i am related to former Republic of Ireland football player, Jimmy Rock. The close family is from Weston Super mare which would tie in with Ireland so i guess my surname means what it says. Rock. which also ties in with me firstname. ROCK MAN!

I was born in the year of the dragon, and my star sign is a lion. So basically.. i am a Dragon Lion made of Rock who plows the fields each day. Nifty.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/06/05 at 3:16 pm

I was dubbed Catwoman many, many moons ago because my love of cats (not to mention my feline qualities.  ;)) I used to collect cats (cermanics, brass, wood, etc) until I ran out of places to put them all. When I came on-line, I discovered that there were just too many Catwomans out there. So I added the "ofV" which actually stands Venus but it can also stand for Vermont. In some circles I do go by CatwomanofVenus.

Cat

Written By: Bobby on 02/06/05 at 4:23 pm

Howard IS my real name so there is no meaning. ;D

It certainly does, Howard. The first name signifies an occupation like 'high warden' or 'hog warden' and the surname means 'brave heart'.

http://www.behindthename.com/nm/h2.html

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/06/05 at 4:24 pm

So there we go.. Howard the Hog Warden.. who would have thunk it Howard. I need some Bacon man  ;D

Written By: Bobby on 02/06/05 at 4:29 pm

So there we go.. Howard the Hog Warden.. who would have thunk it Howard. I need some Bacon man  ;D

Ah Andy. You are so bad-minded.  ;D

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/06/05 at 4:31 pm

I will warp your fragile little minds..

It's a lifestyle Bob... now fetch my Bacon dammit!

Written By: Bobby on 02/06/05 at 4:34 pm

I will warp your fragile little minds..

It's a lifestyle Bob... now fetch my Bacon dammit!

LOL.  ;D

No thought about Howard being a 'high warden' then?  ;D

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/06/05 at 4:35 pm

Nope.. because my chances of ending up in Jail are far higher than your's.

Written By: Bobby on 02/06/05 at 4:41 pm

Nope.. because my chances of ending up in Jail are far higher than your's.

I was put in a police cell for three hours once . . .

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/06/05 at 4:43 pm

OOoh Bob.. you wild one you.. I have only even been in a cell twice. Once here literally 10 minuets from my house to 'sober up' and i was in from about 2Am until 7 the next morning. The other time was in Greece were they don't even say a word they plonk you in a cell, and then chuck you out in the morning. In greece nobody said one word to me.. so i went to sleep.

Written By: Bobby on 02/06/05 at 5:59 pm

OOoh Bob.. you wild one you.. I have only even been in a cell twice. Once here literally 10 minuets from my house to 'sober up' and i was in from about 2Am until 7 the next morning. The other time was in Greece were they don't even say a word they plonk you in a cell, and then chuck you out in the morning. In greece nobody said one word to me.. so i went to sleep.

It's good that you weren't in for longer than that.  :)

Written By: Dagwood on 02/06/05 at 8:16 pm

Cool site, Bobby.  Apparently my name means new day.

DAGNY 
Usage: Scandinavian
From the Old Norse name Dagný, which was derived from the elements dagr "day" and ný "new".

Written By: Howard on 02/06/05 at 9:27 pm

Thanks guys.That was cool. ;D

Howard

Written By: Howard on 02/06/05 at 9:28 pm

LOL.  ;D

No thought about Howard being a 'high warden' then?  ;D

no thank you. ;D

Howard

Written By: NbC on 02/07/05 at 12:41 am

NbC are simply my initials. 

My real name is Nanette and from what I got off the internet it means "Gracious".  I guess I can be at times.

Written By: karen on 02/07/05 at 4:18 am

my on-line name is just my name.

Apparently it's a Scandinavian form of Katherine. thought to derive from the Greek katharos meaning pure.

Written By: Bobby on 02/07/05 at 5:17 am

Cool site, Bobby.  Apparently my name means new day.

DAGNY 
Usage: Scandinavian
From the Old Norse name Dagný, which was derived from the elements dagr "day" and ný "new".

A pleasure, Dagny.  :)

Written By: Bobby on 02/07/05 at 5:18 am

Thanks guys.That was cool. ;D

No worries, Howard.

You don't want to be a warden? Oh I forgot, there's no secretaries to chat to being a warden . . .  ;)  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...