inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Have You Been to The Other Side of America?

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/06/05 at 5:32 pm

I voted West never been East.

Subject: Re: Have You Been to The Other Side of America?

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/06/05 at 5:33 pm

i'm canadian but i traveled in the states in the past.

Written By: Bobby on 02/06/05 at 5:57 pm

Unfortunately, I put never visited. One day, that will change.  8)

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/06/05 at 6:00 pm

Unfortunately, I put never visited. One day, that will change. 8)

If you do, visit the Southern Willamette Valley of Oregon!  :D

Written By: Bobby on 02/06/05 at 6:10 pm

If you do, visit the Southern Willamette Valley of Oregon!  :D

Yeah. That sounds cool. What happens there?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/06/05 at 6:15 pm

In fact, I just got back from the other coast less than a month ago.

Cat

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/06/05 at 6:19 pm

Yeah. That sounds cool. What happens there?

Well here there's sort of a hippy thing in the cities but the kids are quite conservative, defending Bush to my disgust  :P    We get a lot of rain in the winter here and have a quite lively underground Punk and Hip Hop scene.  The land is farms and grasslands but vast forests are very close by.  To get near "action" I'd suggest visiting San Francisco or Seattle.  If you want nature then drop by here! 

:)

-FHF

Written By: whitewolf on 02/06/05 at 6:23 pm

I'm Canadian, never been to the states.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/06/05 at 6:32 pm

West...Colorado and I've been to both the Pacific Ocean in 1970 and the Atlantic Ocean in 1978

Written By: Bobby on 02/06/05 at 6:48 pm

Well here there's sort of a hippy thing in the cities but the kids are quite conservative, defending Bush to my disgust  :P    We get a lot of rain in the winter here and have a quite lively underground Punk and Hip Hop scene.  The land is farms and grasslands but vast forests are very close by.  To get near "action" I'd suggest visiting San Francisco or Seattle.  If you want nature then drop by here! 

:)

That sounds great, Mike.  :)

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/06/05 at 6:49 pm

That sounds great, Mike. :)

Thanks, Bobby  :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/06/05 at 7:08 pm

Yes. I live in the West (Southern CA), but I was born and raised in the East (Philadelphia - Go Eagles!)

Tanya

Written By: Dagwood on 02/06/05 at 8:19 pm

I live in the West and the farthest east I have been is Ohio/Kentucky.

Written By: nally on 02/06/05 at 8:22 pm

I live in the West but have never been to the East. In fact, I have not been any further east than Chicago.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/06/05 at 9:12 pm

I live in the West but have never been to the East. In fact, I have not been any further east than Chicago.

Nally I count Chicago as east.  It is like 2/3 the way across from the West.  I'd say anything past Missouri/Iowa/Minnesota/Arkansas/Louisiana counts.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/06/05 at 10:57 pm

I live in the east, I've been west a few times. I visited Alaska in '97 and California in 2000. My brother lived in both places (he moves around a lot) I've also been to Minnesota not the far west, but west of here.

Written By: AL-B on 02/07/05 at 12:14 am

I've been to all of the lower 48 states, except for Maine and Vermont. (I've also been to Ontario and Manitoba.)

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/07/05 at 1:16 am

I've been to all of the lower 48 states, except for Maine and Vermont. (I've also been to Ontario and Manitoba.)

Holy Crizzite!  ;D  That's a lot of places!  Never Hawaii or Alaska though (neither have I). 

Is where you live (the Midwest) more like the Western or Eastern US (it's really halfway between geographically, a bit more to the east)?
Is it as boring and featureless as everyone puts it out to be?

Also, do you live in the Missouri or Kansas part of Kansas City?

Written By: ktelqueen on 02/07/05 at 1:30 am

i'm Canadian and i've been as far as Bangor a couple of times..for shopping trips  :)

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/07/05 at 1:47 am

Here's a map of Oregon's vegetation and stuff, AL-B :)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/07/05 at 2:37 am

Let me think here...where have I been...

Washington (state)
Oregon
California (where I live)
Idaho
Montana
Wyoming
Utah
Nevada
Arizona
New Mexico
Colorado (for like 3 hours)
South Dakota
Iowa (for 2 hours)
Illinois
Indiana
Michigan (Detroit airport on the way to Toronto, although I guess that's sort of international territory)
Massachusetts
New Jersey
New York
Pennsylvania
Virginia
North Carolina
South Carolina
Georgia
Florida (I was very young)
Tennessee
Texas
Oklahoma

I've also been to Canada:

Ontario
Quebec
British Columbia

And Asia:

Japan
Hong Kong

And Europe:

England
France
Germany
Austria
Belgium
Netherlands
Liechtenstein
Switzerland
Italy
Monaco

Written By: Bobby on 02/07/05 at 3:48 am

Wow! You are well travelled, Rice - I do envy you.  ;)

Written By: karen on 02/07/05 at 4:28 am

I voted "non-American, never been to America"

but that will change next week.  We are going to Walt Disney World for a week's holiday  :)

Written By: Rio_Rhodes on 02/07/05 at 4:43 am

I was born and raised on Cape Cod, Massachusetts and my family and I made the trek out here to Nevada where I have been for a little over a year now...

I'm still trying to figure out why I'm in Vegas though... ;)

Rio

Written By: Bobby on 02/07/05 at 5:20 am

I voted "non-American, never been to America"

but that will change next week.  We are going to Walt Disney World for a week's holiday  :)

Ooh you lucky so-and-so.  ;)

Have a wonderful trip, Karen, and let us know how you got on.  :)

Written By: danootaandme on 02/07/05 at 5:47 am

We are going to Walt Disney World for a week's holiday  :)

ooohhhh. I have "done disney" twice and had fun both times.  Hope the weather is good for
you.  Make sure you go into the 3D theater and the "Tower of Terror" , they were my faves, but
the whole thing is good. :)

Written By: karen on 02/07/05 at 5:52 am

ooohhhh. I have "done disney" twice and had fun both times.  Hope the weather is good for
you.  Make sure you go into the 3D theater and the "Tower of Terror" , they were my faves, but
the whole thing is good. :)

Not too sure about the Tower of Terror.  I'll be with my six-year old, my three-year old and my husband who doesn't do spinning around rides without puking.

Does anyone know what the weather might be like there next week?

Written By: danootaandme on 02/07/05 at 6:10 am

Not too sure about the Tower of Terror.  I'll be with my six-year old, my three-year old and my husband who doesn't do spinning around rides without puking.

Does anyone know what the weather might be like there next week?

The little ones won't pass the height requirement, the three year old won't be able to do alot.  You will
probably want to go back when the youngest is about 10, by then all height/weight requirements will
allow all of you on everything.  It is too early to predict weather, the forecast changes so easily, wait
until a day or so before you leave then google it.  The weather generally this time of year would be
in the low 70S during the day, 50S at night. Feel free if you have any questions for one who has been
there, and didn't think I would love it and did! ;)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 02/07/05 at 6:51 am

Non-American, never visited

Written By: Paul on 02/07/05 at 7:42 am

Non-American, never visited

Same here, but I'm hoping that will change as soon as some millionairess strolls into my life...!!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 02/07/05 at 11:03 am

I live in the extreme West (Hawaii) and have been to the East Coast.  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/07/05 at 11:04 am

I live in the extreme West (Hawaii) and have been to the East Coast.  :)

Can't get much more west than that.  ;)

Cat

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 02/07/05 at 11:07 am

Cat

Very true!  ;D

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/07/05 at 12:00 pm

Cat

guam? isn't that an american territory...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/07/05 at 12:11 pm

guam? isn't that an american territory...

Yes, but since that is across the International Date Line, it can be said that it is in the East. But, American Samoa is further west than Hawaii. (I don't think that is on the other side of the IDL)

Cat

Written By: AL-B on 02/07/05 at 12:55 pm

Holy Crizzite!  ;D  That's a lot of places!  Never Hawaii or Alaska though (neither have I).
I drove a truck cross-country for about 3 years. I've driven through a lot of states, but I haven't really seen them, if you know what I mean. I've been to truck stops and warehouses and loading docks in these states, but I haven't had the opportunity to really get and explore a lot of these places at my own leisure.
Is where you live (the Midwest) more like the Western or Eastern US (it's really halfway between geographically, a bit more to the east)? Is it as boring and featureless as everyone puts it out to be?
I would definitely say that the Midwest is more like the Western U.S. The Eastern U.S. was settled long before the West, so the roads are laid out differently there. When they built their highways in the east, it seems like most of them followed the old paths that were first built for horses and buggys. When you get further west, the roads are much straighter and most of the rural secondary roads follow a grid pattern.

As far as being boring and featureless? True, a lot of western Nebraska and Kansas are as flat as a pancake, but there are a lot of places out here that have their own kind of subtle beauty.
Also, do you live in the Missouri or Kansas part of Kansas City?
I live in Independence, which is on the Missouri side.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/07/05 at 3:39 pm

I drove a truck cross-country for about 3 years. I've driven through a lot of states, but I haven't really seen them, if you know what I mean. I've been to truck stops and warehouses and loading docks in these states, but I haven't had the opportunity to really get and explore a lot of these places at my own leisure.I would definitely say that the Midwest is more like the Western U.S. The Eastern U.S. was settled long before the West, so the roads are laid out differently there. When they built their highways in the east, it seems like most of them followed the old paths that were first built for horses and buggys. When you get further west, the roads are much straighter and most of the rural secondary roads follow a grid pattern.

As far as being boring and featureless? True, a lot of western Nebraska and Kansas are as flat as a pancake, but there are a lot of places out here that have their own kind of subtle beauty. I live in Independence, which is on the Missouri side.

Why is Ohio Midwest?  Ohio isn't anything west except Western Hemisphere!  I know it is historically, but today it's east.  Heck, it borders Pennsylvania!

Written By: AL-B on 02/07/05 at 4:05 pm

Why is Ohio Midwest?  Ohio isn't anything west except Western Hemisphere!  I know it is historically, but today it's east.  Heck, it borders Pennsylvania!
Ohio is Mideast. They've been having a lot of trouble with toll-booth bombings there.  ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/07/05 at 4:29 pm

Ohio is Mideast. They've been having a lot of trouble with toll-booth bombings there. ;D ;D ;D

I sorta think the West Coast is a different region than the Inland West.  In places like Utah and Montana the people are conservative and the land is sparsely populated, whereas on the Pacific Coast it's more liberal and city-ish.  The inner parts are almost like the West Coast's answer to the Midwest/Great Lakes.  Would you agree?

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 02/07/05 at 5:16 pm

Hopefully one day, I will have enough money to visit this great country (to see what all the fuss is about). Apart from the obvious, what are the best places to visit?

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/07/05 at 5:19 pm

Hopefully one day, I will have enough money to visit this great country (to see what all the fuss is about). Apart from the obvious, what are the best places to visit?

By the obvious I'm taking you mean New York City, Hawaii, Miami, Hollywood, etc.  I'd say Glacier National Park Montana, Chicago, Illinois, Olympic National Park, Washington, Seattle, Portland, the Appalachians, Utah, Alaska, among others.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 02/07/05 at 5:27 pm

<<By the obvious I'm taking you mean New York City, Hawaii, Miami, Hollywood, etc.>>

Yes.

Written By: Howard on 02/07/05 at 7:28 pm

what is thread about? :-\\

Howard

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/07/05 at 8:07 pm

I'm in Chicago and I've been as far east as New York & as far west as Hawaii so I didn't get to vote :(

In my opinion Chicago is east :)
what is thread about? :-\\

Howard

It's about what side of the country you live in (west if w of the Mississippi, east if e) and if you've been to the other side.  I've never been further east then the middle of Montana and I live in the West.

Written By: Howard on 02/07/05 at 8:09 pm

In my opinion Chicago is east :)
It's about what side of the country you live in (west if w of the Mississippi, east if e) and if you've been to the other side.  I've never been further east then the middle of Montana and I live in the West.

New York.I have been to Florida,Virginia,Niagra Falls,Alaska.

Howard

Written By: Indy Gent on 02/08/05 at 4:29 pm

I actually live in the Midwest since 1977, and have been as far West as the Grand Canyon.

Written By: 80s Lady on 02/08/05 at 11:15 pm

Yes. In no particular order: Mississippi, Tennessee, Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, Louisiana, Alabama, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, California, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, Kansas, Wisconsin, Michigan, Kentucky, Georgia, Nevada, New Mexico, Alaska, Hawaii

Mexico-Tijuana

Canada- Montreal, Mont Tremblant

Japan-Hiroshima to Iwakuni (SE Honshu (Main) Island

My husband is a retired Marine; we've been around!!!  LOL.  And my list is about 1/4 of what his is.  I'd list them, but I'd be hard pressed to spell most of them correctly!!

Written By: Mona on 02/10/05 at 1:39 pm

Was at the airport at San Francisco when I was 10 months old on our way from Hawaii to Texas. Does that count? 

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/10/05 at 8:30 pm

Was at the airport at San Francisco when I was 10 months old on our way from Hawaii to Texas. Does that count?

Yes.

-FHF  :)

Written By: maddog on 02/11/05 at 9:59 am

I'm English but I've visited the USA on several occasions on both holiday and business trips.
I've visited New York (state and city), Massachussets (Boston), Vermont, Washington DC, Charlotte NC, Detroit MI, San Francisco and Hawaii.

Written By: kimmers on 02/11/05 at 10:07 am

I guess going from California to North Carolina and back then from New Mexico to Florida and back counts as having been on the other side of America.  I've also been pretty much top to bottom too.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 02/11/05 at 11:31 am

I'm English but I've visited the USA on several occasions on both holiday and business trips.
I've visited New York (state and city), Massachussets (Boston), Vermont, Washington DC, Charlotte NC, Detroit MI, San Francisco and Hawaii.

I didn't know you'd been to Hawaii, Graham.  What year?  :)

Written By: maddog on 02/11/05 at 12:41 pm

I didn't know you'd been to Hawaii, Graham.  What year?  :)

My wife and I visited for a short stay - only 2 days and nights - in 1991. It was a stopover between Sydney and San Francisco.
We only got to visit Honolulu and the rest of Oahu and we were both really jetlagged. Flying into Hawaii from Sydney was strange
because we got to live Tuesday all over again :). I wasn't too keen on Honolulu itself but the North shore of Oahu was great. I would have really liked to visit some of the other islands but time was against us.

Don't tell me you live in Hawaii Karen, I'll be really jealous!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 02/11/05 at 1:21 pm

My wife and I visited for a short stay - only 2 days and nights - in 1991. It was a stopover between Sydney and San Francisco.
We only got to visit Honolulu and the rest of Oahu and we were both really jetlagged. Flying into Hawaii from Sydney was strange
because we got to live Tuesday all over again :). I wasn't too keen on Honolulu itself but the North shore of Oahu was great. I would have really liked to visit some of the other islands but time was against us.

Don't tell me you live in Hawaii Karen, I'll be really jealous!

Well, I do.  ;)

I don't live in Honolulu...I'm out on the western side of the island.  Yes, the North Shore is beautiful!  I love driving up there!  I think my favorite island is the Big Island...it's so diverse in climate and topography.  You can drive up into the mountains and not even feel like you're on an island anymore... :D

BTW, I moved here after your visit.  :)

Written By: shiprunner12 on 02/11/05 at 3:02 pm

I've lived in the East for most of my life, but everyone on my dad's side of the family lives in Washington so we've driven there before from where I used to live in New Jersey.

Check for new replies or respond here...