inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: College Folks! What's your Major?

Written By: Allie Fox on 02/09/05 at 7:36 pm

How about it folks?  Those of us that went to college had a major.  Some of us completed the requirements of such.
Those of you that went to college but didn't finish (yet) must have had one.  Those of you that want/will go to college will have to have one. . .  eventually.

Subject: Re: College Folks! What's your Major?

Written By: nally on 02/09/05 at 9:55 pm

Hi, Allie Fox! This is a good topic. I have been in college for seven years, and I am currently a Computer Science major, but I'm probably going to change that to Math. See, last year I was struggling with upper-division classes in Computer Science, repeating some courses along the way (because I didn't pass them the first time through with a 'C' or better), but a year ago it got so overwhelming that I didn't feel like I was acing anything. And I didn't have the same advisor from semester to semester, so no one was really mentoring my progress or anything. So in May of last year, I visited the career center and talked with an advisor there, and for the past nine months we have been working together to help me get pointed in the right direction.

At first I didn't want to major in math because the career options that I had researched in May of '98 sounded boring and unappealing to me. Recently, however, I have done research on careers that involve math (and some computer stuff), and a few of them did sound appealing in one way or another. Hopefully by the end of this semester I can make a decision.

Written By: MLB on 02/09/05 at 10:07 pm

It was english literature (literature in the English language ) then i graduated and moved into the teaching program Single Subject- for high school English. Now, that has passed me by and i am just an undeclared post-graduate fixing to leave school and find work before they begin looking for repayment of my loans.

Written By: Allie Fox on 02/10/05 at 8:39 am

I have been in college for seven years. . .

You sound alot like me.  I squeezed 4 years of college into 8. ;)

I started out with History and ended up with a B.A. in English (Medieval Literature concentration).

I don't teach so other than being able to say I have a degree it has been pretty useless.  It did help me become a more disciplined writer and helps personally as I have been working on a novel since 1998.  300+ pages and counting.  :D

Written By: danootaandme on 02/10/05 at 8:45 am

Never quite finished but it would have been political science.  If I were to return history would be the
thing. Maybe Labor History as a focus.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/10/05 at 9:08 am

Never quite finished but it would have been political science.  If I were to return history would be the
thing. Maybe Labor History as a focus.

Carlos would LOVE to hear that.  ;)

For me, it was History and Elementary Ed. I graduated "With Honors" in History. I did go on to get my masters in History concentrating on Vermont History but never did finish.  :-[ Maybe one of these years I will.

Cat

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 02/10/05 at 11:07 am

I have a B.A. in Art.  :)

Written By: Jennifer028 on 02/10/05 at 11:10 am

I have a BS in Interdisciplinary Studies.  I just graduated from the University of Houston-Downtown in Dec 2004  :)

Now I'm a stay at home mom for my 2 kids so I probably will be doing that for awhile  ;)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 02/10/05 at 11:21 am

Now I'm a stay at home mom for my 2 kids so I probably will be doing that for awhile   ;)

I do the same.  ;)

Written By: nally on 02/10/05 at 11:27 am

You sound alot like me.  I squeezed 4 years of college into 8. ;)

I started out with History and ended up with a B.A. in English (Medieval Literature concentration).

I don't teach so other than being able to say I have a degree it has been pretty useless.  It did help me become a more disciplined writer and helps personally as I have been working on a novel since 1998.  300+ pages and counting.  :D

Well, I wasn't the only one in my family who has considered changing majors. My mom started out as a music major but didn't like the way things were going so she switched to journalism (and met my dad).

Written By: danootaandme on 02/10/05 at 4:15 pm

Carlos would LOVE to hear that.  ;)

For me, it was History and Elementary Ed. I graduated "With Honors" in History. I did go on to get my masters in History concentrating on Vermont History but never did finish.  :-[ Maybe one of these years I will.

Cat

I ended up making my way through a Paralegal Certificate and thought that if I hit the lottery I would go into Labor Law.(ohhh if I
could turn back time)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/10/05 at 4:32 pm

I have a B.A. in Journalism with a minor in English and a M.Ed in Elementary and Special Education (sometimes it can be considered a M.A., but I prefer the extra special title!).

Tanya

Written By: Paul on 02/10/05 at 5:48 pm

I didn't do college (and can't say I ever regretted it...)

The day I left school I simply got a rubber stamp across my forehead that said 'Educated (We Think)'

Written By: maddog on 02/10/05 at 6:19 pm

I have a B.Sc. in Geophysics. Yay!

Written By: Bobby on 02/10/05 at 6:52 pm

Got good GCSE's in English language, English literature, Science, Technology and Art. I went on to do Art and English literature A' levels were I got an average grade (D). I was gutted at first but I had to remember that I moved schools halfway through the course. So getting a 'D' after one years work in a college (when everyone else got two) was not as bad as I made it out to be.  :)

Written By: Billy Florio on 02/11/05 at 1:30 am

political science

Written By: karen on 02/11/05 at 3:58 am

I have a BSc in Applied Physics and an MSc in Surface Science and Technology.  I changed jobs a few years ago and now work in Environmental Ergonomics research as a lab supervisor.  I did a couple of modules related to that and am considering doing one more in Stats but can't quite work up the enthusiasm.

Written By: Harmonica on 02/13/05 at 3:38 pm

Theatre Major
Writing and rhetoric Minor

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/17/05 at 2:51 pm

photography

Erin :)

Written By: Davester on 03/17/05 at 3:59 pm

B.A. in Criminal Justice/Law Enforcement...

Written By: Ansky1213 on 03/17/05 at 5:18 pm

I'll be heading to college next fall (I'll find out which college in a couple of weeks  :)). I'm thinking Political Science, but I suppose I have a lot of time to figure it out.

Written By: Stompgal on 03/18/05 at 6:38 am

A Major must be an American college acheivement. I'm at college at the moment and I'm doing a BTEC First Diploma course in Multimedia and Animation. So far I've acheived a Merit for my Web Design project and two Distinctions in my TV Segue and Music CD projects. I was very pleased about these results.

Written By: duranchick on 03/18/05 at 11:51 am

B.A. Political Science (International Relations concentration)

Written By: nally on 10/06/05 at 3:11 pm

Well...since I last posted on this thread, my college major has changed to Liberal Studies. I'm just doing that so that I can complete a degree in something without having to retake several classes. I'm using coimputer science as a minor, since I've fulfilled the requirement for the minor.

Written By: deadrockstar on 10/06/05 at 3:16 pm

First year student here. I'm an English and Spanish major. I'm not far along yet to have decided what I am going to concentrate on officially, but with my English major I am planning to concentrate on creative writing. For Spanish I'm not sure. I believe that for these subjects I'd be recieving a B.A. rather than a B.S., right?

Written By: rich1981 on 10/06/05 at 3:29 pm

Finished my Bachelors in Computer Engineering in 2003, and just recently I passed my comprehensive exams for my Masters in Computer Science (and have finished everything else required). Many, many sleepless nights it took me to get here though.

Written By: whistledog on 10/08/05 at 3:39 pm

My major in College was Legal Office Administration.  It wasn't my first choice.  I was in a program called General Arts and Science (or GAS as it's referred to), which is just basic courses like math and science that give you a general certificate so you can atleast put College Graduate on your resume.  Midway through GAS, I wanted out, but I didn't know what I wanted to take.  My buddy was currently enrolled in Office Administration, and he told me that he was the only guy in all of his classes.  That was enough for me.  LOL

I actually enjoyed Office Administration and eventually graduated with a Legal Office Administration certificate.  The next year, I went back to finish off my GAS certificate as I was only 4 courses away.  So, in 2001, I got my second College Cert in GAS, or as I like to say "I Passed GAS"

Written By: nally on 10/09/05 at 9:48 pm

Finished my Bachelors in Computer Engineering in 2003, and just recently I passed my comprehensive exams for my Masters in Computer Science (and have finished everything else required). Many, many sleepless nights it took me to get here though.

Wow... I initially pursured Computer Science but just couldn't handle it. :-\\ Glad you got through it, though. ;)

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/15/05 at 1:19 am

political science

You wonderfull chap you.

I am majoring in History focusing on Political History and Global events.
Poli Sci fits in there snug.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 10/15/05 at 5:13 am

Bachelor Of Architectural Studies majoring in Architectural Technology  :D

Make sense?

Written By: nally on 10/16/05 at 12:45 am

Bachelor Of Architectural Studies majoring in Architectural Technology  :D

Make sense?

Uhm...not totally. :-\\

Check for new replies or respond here...