inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Removal of avatar images of inactive users?

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/10/05 at 10:06 am

The attachements directory, where the avatar images get uploaded as well, is getting mighty big.  This could lead to issues in the future, such as a lack of space for new avatars or attachments. It also is getting too large for me to backup to my home computer, which means if the site crashed, I might not be able to restore the most recent posts.

If you think they should stay, please give a good reason.  I'm not talking about removing old attachments (such as pictures of people). 

I'm not even sure it will save a ton of room, but I am getting a little weary of the amount of space the attachments and avatars are taking up.

Subject: Re: Removal of avatar images of inactive users?

Written By: karen on 02/10/05 at 10:13 am

Is 45 days long enough grace though?  Look at (for example) Bobo.  He hasn't been here for a while (till last night) but we all expect him to come back soon.

That said I'm not sure how long would be 'long enough'.  6 months non-use perhaps

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/10/05 at 10:21 am

I see your dilemma, Chucky. I know of late, there has been a lot of picture threads popping up. I have a couple of thoughts but not being a very computer savvy person, I don't know if my ideas will work or not. Can you lower the space limit for signature lines/attachments? Also, is it possible (and feesable) to create just a picture website-and having a link if new pictures were posted? Like I said, these are just some ideas but I really don't know if it could work or not. But, for the time being, I think you will have to delete avitars of members who haven't been around in a while but, like Karen said, 45 days may be a bit short. I'm not too sure how they will feel if they ever come back but, sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

Cat

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/10/05 at 10:23 am

Definatley.

I think 60 days grace would be better maybe. Plus maybe some of the picture threads that are like 5 pages or so back could do with having the pictures go?

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/10/05 at 10:30 am

I can pick the file size limits, but I think the current sizes are well within the right limits.  If I forced everyone to 20K images, I'm sure a lot less space would be taken up, because a lot fewer pictures would be posted.

I hesitate to delete pictures over 60 days, because there's bound to be some threads where the pictures would be missed (like the "what do you look like" threads).  The delete function doesn't work on a per thread basis, only by date (unless a moderator goes into each thread and does it that way, which is a lot of work).

45 days is probably too quick.  90 days is probably better.  I'll modify the poll before too many vote.

Written By: karen on 02/10/05 at 10:42 am

I see your dilemma, Chucky. I know of late, there has been a lot of picture threads popping up. I have a couple of thoughts but not being a very computer savvy person, I don't know if my ideas will work or not. Can you lower the space limit for signature lines/attachments?

Cat

But then we'd start this argument again!

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,5448.0.html

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/10/05 at 10:50 am

I didn't realize that this matter was discussed once before-I guess I should go into the "systems stuff" more often. Of course I was away at that time.

As I always say, whatever you think is best, Chucky.

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/10/05 at 10:56 am

actually that was in reference to the dimensions of the picture, not the file space used by the picture.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 02/10/05 at 11:03 am

I say go for it.  If the person happens to return after 90 days, I'm sure they could easily add a new avatar.  I mean it's not like you're deleting their accounts, right?

Written By: Jennifer028 on 02/10/05 at 11:08 am

Sounds ok  :)

Written By: Mona on 02/10/05 at 1:32 pm

I say go for it.  If the person happens to return after 90 days, I'm sure they could easily add a new avatar.  I mean it's not like you're deleting their accounts, right?

I agree with ceramisfanatic.  And it is your board Chucky.  It's like my house, something you don't like about it, don't let the screen door hit you in the a$$ on your way out.

Written By: joedeertae on 02/10/05 at 1:50 pm

Yep... Do it to it Chucky. 90 days is plenty of time and after all, it's not a lot of trouble to add an avatar if/when they come back.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/10/05 at 3:03 pm

If it helps you...yes. They can always redo thier avatars when they return :)

Written By: Howard on 02/10/05 at 3:27 pm

90 days is ok for me.Do you mean get rid of the avatars that are below people's names? ???

Howard

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/10/05 at 3:34 pm

saves on bandwidth. the forums i often visit limited sig pics to only moderators. i see some sig pics on here are quite elaborate...get rid of those and it would save up a lot of space....

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 02/10/05 at 3:38 pm

saves on bandwidth. the forums i often visit limited sig pics to only moderators. i see some sig pics on here are quite elaborate...get rid of those and it would save up a lot of space....

No it wouldn't because they're uploaded from other websites.

Why not, with the avatar pictures, go back to how it was on the old board and have people do the same thing and upload their avatars from other websites as well?

Absolutely Vile

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/10/05 at 3:54 pm

No it wouldn't because they're uploaded from other websites.

Why not, with the avatar pictures, go back to how it was on the old board and have people do the same thing and upload their avatars from other websites as well?

Absolutely Vile

Couple of reasons.  Avatars are probably not a huge waste of server space compared to picture attachments. Finding free space online for people to host pictures gets to be a real hassle.  A lot of people simply use unsized images in their sigs, wheras the pics in the avatar images need to be sized more carefully to be effective.

It's by no means at a critical state, but I don't see a reason to wait until it becomes a critical issue either.  Some places I've visited actually purge their inactive users to save space.  I only purge users who never complete the verification process (I wait a month or so usually on those).  That actually saves very little space anyways, user info in the database is such a minor amount of space compared to the messages, and you lose the person's contact info in the messages they posted (and it let's people reuse the deleted names, which might be used by someone to spoof popular users who are no longer active).

I'm really just interested in keeping things tidy, without getting too restrictive.

Written By: Bobby on 02/10/05 at 6:58 pm

I picked 'no opinion'. I reckon as long as you still have the picture, it's not difficult to put it back on.  :)

Written By: Marian on 02/10/05 at 7:51 pm

I don;t ;like removing them,but do so if you must.Cheers!

Written By: Dagwood on 02/10/05 at 7:59 pm

Sounds good to me, Chucky.

Written By: Hairspray on 02/10/05 at 9:07 pm

My vote:

Sure, go for it

Written By: NbC on 02/11/05 at 6:21 am

90 days is reasonable.  After 90 days they probably wouldn't even remember what avatar they had up in the first place. 

Written By: Grendle on 02/11/05 at 6:55 pm

~pops in and makes obligatory post~

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 02/12/05 at 1:56 am

Go for it Chucky.

I think 60 or 90 days is more than fine.

I am also all for a size restriction on sigs and avatars (and perhaps even for the photos we add to posts).

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/12/05 at 2:01 am

Hello, God (I'm talking to Chucky  :D )!  Go for it!

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/12/05 at 11:54 am

ok. I did it.  There were also a couple dozen that appeared to not belong to anyone, and they got pruned as well.

Didn't really save much space at all.  So I probably won't bother with it very often.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/12/05 at 12:15 pm

ok. I did it.  There were also a couple dozen that appeared to not belong to anyone, and they got pruned as well.

Didn't really save much space at all.  So I probably won't bother with it very often.
Hey Chucky...could you please let me know how to resize an animated gif image?

Check for new replies or respond here...