inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: who has been to Disney World?

Written By: karen on 02/11/05 at 9:15 am

We are going there next week and I'd appreciate your recommendations.

There will be me, my husband (who doesn't do round and round rides) my 6 year-old daughter who's fairly fearless and my 3 year-old son.

Subject: Re: who has been to Disney World?

Written By: kimmers on 02/11/05 at 10:05 am

We've been a couple of times.  My kids were about the same age as yours are now and they all absolutely loved it.
I would plan to go early and ride the ferry over.  They have lockers you can rent.  We brought lunch and snacks and carried water with us everywhere.  There are some round and round rides but there are plenty of others too.  Trains, Haunted mansion, water rides, cars.  And there are lots of things for the 3 year old too.  I know Disneyland (in CA) had a place called Toon Town several years ago and it was all climbing and sliding and jumping stuff.  The kids had a blast!!  We didn't go see any of the shows but I understand that they are pretty neat to see.  Make sure you see the Electric Light Parade if they still have it.
As you can probably tell, it's been a couple of years since we were there last.  My kids could probably tell you a lot more.  :)
Hope you have a wonderful time and make sure you share all the magic with us when you get back.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/11/05 at 10:56 am

I've been there through my childhood (about 9 times actually). It's a great place to go to. Arrive early, expect to stand in long lines, try to sneak in some treats (the prices are horrendous), and save the shows for last (it's best to be in line for rides).

Tanya

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 02/11/05 at 11:06 am

I've been to Disneyland, but not DisneyWorld.... :D

Written By: nally on 02/11/05 at 11:06 am

Same here. :)

Written By: nally on 02/11/05 at 1:40 pm

Actually, now they have what they call "Speedpass" or "Fastpass" (can't remember exactly) where you get a ticket that gives you a time to come back (I think it's an hour time-frame) and when you do, you get to "jump" the line.

Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure have that. I think they call it a "Fastpass." When we went to Disney's California Adventure in June 2002, we took advantage of that, and it worked out great.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/12/05 at 8:18 am

Before I went a friend gave me a guide book called "Birnbaums guide to Disney" and I can't
tell you how helpful it was.  Pick it up at a bookstore before you go and you can read it
on the plane.  I read it before making plans, on the trip to it, and while I was there for last minute
ideas. I passed it on to a friend who was very grateful for the tips it gave. All of the other guides do
not hold a candle to it.  It will tell you which rides the kids will be allowed on, which kids usually like,
different resteraunts, and all the tiny details that make the trip a smooth one.  You won't regret it!

Written By: danootaandme on 02/12/05 at 8:47 am

When we went, my SILs went with us and one of them got that and another one from a coworker (the other one had coupons and I think came from Disney Corp) and they were great.  Unfortunately, we went shortly after 9-11 and quite a few attractions & resturants that they recommended were closed for renovations. 

karen, something I just thought of...at Epcot, the kids can get different "freebies" at many of the "countries".  Mine got masks and each place added a different thing to it and they thought it was soooo cool ;)

Birnbaums has coupons too.  ;)  One day my (then little) son was sick and we had to stay in the
room.  The cleaning lady came back and brought him a complimentery stuffed animal, It was
a Goofy.  That cheered him up and was a nice gesture. 

Written By: Harmonica on 02/13/05 at 3:36 pm

I went to Disney World...very disappointing experience for me. I suppose I got caught up in the marketing and commericials and just expected so much out of it that it could only be a dissapointment. I didn't think they had many rides, and the funnest part for me was shaking hands with Mickey. 

I had a lot more fun at Sea World and Universal Studios.

Disneyworld had so much hype, but didn't live up to it as far as I'm concerned.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/13/05 at 7:08 pm

No, but I've been to the original Disneyland out in Anaheim, CA.  It's the only place i've been in South Cal actually.  I suggest Space Mountain (the rides in Disneyworld are the same in many cases)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/14/05 at 8:19 am

me too.

Cat

Written By: Gis on 02/14/05 at 8:34 am

I've been 4 times but never with children so I couldn't give advice on that aspect of it. I have to agree that I actually prefered Universal but on the other hand if you have children then the whole Mickey thing is magical I guess.The parade at night is an absolute MUST !

Written By: Allie Fox on 02/14/05 at 10:30 am

I go to DW at least twice a year (Star Wars Weekends for the most part).

As for taking small children. . .

The Magic Kingdom is your best bet.  There are plenty of things for the little ones to do and ride there.  EPCOT and MGM are not very "small child friendly."

I have yet to go into the Animal Kingdon park but I've heard it is very kid friendly and fun for adults as well.

FastPass is a great thing and gives you time to see attractions before scheduling your rides.

Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure are certainly very fun.  Some of the rides may be a little too intense for a six and three year old.

Written By: Bobby on 02/14/05 at 10:31 am

I went to EuroDisney a year ago. I thought it was great - of course, I only did it for the kid.  :)

Written By: karen on 02/14/05 at 10:49 am

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

I think we're going to give Epcot a miss this time.  It didn't look as child orientated as the others.  We are, however, going to Kennedy Space Centre because my daughter loves all the 'space'

I'll be sure to post a full report when I get back to work next Thursday.

Written By: Allie Fox on 02/14/05 at 11:25 am

I think we're going to give Epcot a miss this time.  It didn't look as child orientated as the others.  We are, however, going to Kennedy Space Centre because my daughter loves all the 'space'

You'll love KSC.  Get there early and go for the MAXIMUM ACCESS BADGE, there's plenty to do and see.  If your daughter REALLY loves "space" you might want to spring the few extra clams for the "Lunch with an Astronaut."  It's truly amazing to sit with someone that has experienced space flight and the food alone is worth the price (if you consider what it costs to eat at the commissary).

Written By: danootaandme on 02/14/05 at 4:25 pm

They have the Kennedy Space Center, then they have the Astronauts Museum which is a couple
of miles away.  The Astronauts Museum will be better for the little ones, but we all loved the Space
Center(Jake was 12, a better age for it). 

Written By: IWannaBeAGoonie on 02/15/05 at 10:00 am

We've been there a few times. (one of the advantages of having in-laws in Florida!)

We've always enjoyed it, and the kids have been at various ages, of course.  My mother in law tried to convince us to leave our little one (at the time--my FIRST time) at home with her---my daughter was only one, but even she liked sitting with me on the Dumbo ride.  I do agree that with littler kids the Magic Kingdom is the best bet. And if you go back to the toontown place (sorry, can't remember the exact name) you can get some great photo ops for the kids (or yourself!  ;D) with several of the Disney characters. 

We did go, sans children to Universal Studios--we were concerned they'd be too young at the time to enjoy it.  But we had fun!  ;)
But everyone also enjoyed Sea World down there as well.

The Animal Kingdom was also cool.  We took both our kids at the time a few years ago, and they had a good time. Only bummer was the rain that started, because it cancelled the Pochohontas show, right after it'd started.  But, you can't control the weather!  LOL!

In any case, have fun--and take snacks--maybe even a full lunch--because it isn't cheap to eat in there!  ;)

Written By: karen on 02/24/05 at 10:18 am

We got back yesterday and I'm back in work now.  Thought it was time to put in my report!

We should have flown out early on Tuesday morning (15th) but due to problems with the engine they eventually decided to cancel the flight (about 7 hours after we should have left), put us up in a hotel overnight and have us check in at 5.00 a.m. the next morning for an 8.00 flight that eventually left a bit after 11.00.  After that things could only get better!

We went to the Kennedy Space Center on the Thursday and had a full tour around the actual site, including seeing the techs getting part of the International Space Station ready to be flown out on the next mission (sometime in May).  We didn't go for the lunch with the astronauts this time.  My 3 year old son says the IMAX Shuttle film was his favourite thing of the whole holiday.

We then spent a day in Animal Kingdom which was good.  We went on a 'safari', a walk through a forest and through some 'Indian temple' ruins with lots of animals to spot.  We also saw the Festival of the Lion King show which was spectacular.  We met Mickey, Minnie, Winnie the Pooh, Eeyore and Tigger.  We had a ride on the Kali River Rapids and hubby and son got soaked.  The children went digging for fossils in a large sand pit and we saw the afternoon parade.  We were the first in and one of the last to leave.

After these two full days we decided to have an easier day and went to Gatorland.  Lots and lots and lots of alligators to see plus some other animals such as snakes and birds.  They did a show where they unpacked boxes that they said had been dumped on their doorstep by people looking to re-home exotic pets.  the 3 year old got to help hold an enormous python.  They also do a 'gator wrestling show which is funny and my daughter (age 6) had her photo taken sitting on one of them.  (It had its mouth taped shut)

We spent two days In the Magic Kingdom.  By getting there early and racing through we managed to jump ahead of the queues for the popular childrens rides on both days.  On the second day we left for a few hours after lunch and went back for the evening and a meal with Winnie the Pooh, Tigger, Eeyore and Piglet wandering around greeting the guests.  Then there was the evening parade and fireworks.

We didn't go on any of the bigger roller coasters but didn't feel we missed out.  My hubby and daughter went on Splash Mountain, which my daughter liked apart from the small water flume in the dark.  One or two other rides upset the youngest one.  Many of them seemed to have an element in the dark or scary bits for no reason (for example the nightmare sequence of Heffalumps and Woozles in Winnie the Pooh)

Hubby bought the 7-day tickets that won't run out (at least until daughter is 10 when she has to pay the adult price) so we will be going back.

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 02/24/05 at 11:04 am

I went there a couple years ago on my senior trip so I wasn't with any children.  But I think its Magic Kingdom has the best kids rides.  The Animal Kingdom is fun too.  My friends and I spent most of our time at MGM studios and Blizzard Beach but I think those had mostly "big kid" rides.

Written By: Paul on 02/24/05 at 12:07 pm

I've never been (not to the one in France, either), but sounds like everyone had a smashing time, karen...(pity about the start...)

Anyway, good to see you back here...

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 02/24/05 at 12:08 pm

I'm glad you and your family had a good time, karen.  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...