inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How's your Eyesight?

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/14/05 at 5:29 pm

I vote Mildly Nearsighted, because I'm quite nearsighted (20/40-20/60) in my left eye and have about 20/20 in my right eye.  I don't wear glasses or contacts but I guess I'll probably have to someday.

Subject: Re: How's your Eyesight?

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 02/14/05 at 5:32 pm

I wish i was blind... Where's ChuckyG when you need him?  >:(

Written By: nally on 02/14/05 at 5:34 pm

20/20 in both eyes. I do not wear glasses, nor have I ever. I have had perfect vision for as long as I can remember, and I hope it continues to stay that way. Both my parents have been wearing eyeglasses for a long time. Actually, my mom wears contacts, but she also has a pair of reading glasses. My dad and his whole family wear glasses. :)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 02/14/05 at 5:54 pm

I wear glasses... mainly because its such a pain to continuously take them off/put them on/lose them etc. As I'm near-sighted

Written By: maddog on 02/14/05 at 6:04 pm

I'm lucky to have good eyesight in both eyes. I didn't know it was possible to have better than 20/20 vision but I just researched it and I guess my far vision is actually better than that. My vision was passed as perfect by the Royal Air Force when I did pilot training.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/14/05 at 6:59 pm

I'm nearsighted in one eye and farsighted in another. I have prescription reading glasses. But, I really think I should wear them more often.

Tanya

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/14/05 at 8:58 pm

How bad does your vision have to be in order to be corrected?  I get along fine with being nearsighted in one eye but I can only see well in binoculars, etc with my right eye and occasionally I get eyestrain (although only after hours of eyework).

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 02/14/05 at 9:18 pm

Nearsighted.  I wear glasses all the time and contacts occasionally.  :D

Written By: Zella on 02/14/05 at 10:03 pm

I picked other - so nearsighted that without glasses I couldn't see an elephant in my parlor... ::)

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/14/05 at 10:32 pm

i'm near sighted. myopia i believe it's called.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 02/15/05 at 1:12 am

Waits for someone to vote "Blind"  ::)

Written By: NbC on 02/15/05 at 1:20 am

Nearsighted.  Practically blind really. 

Written By: Bobby on 02/15/05 at 4:36 am

I think I'm mildly nearsighted (shortsighted). I am supposed to wear glasses for computing but keep forgetting to put them on.  ::)

Written By: gemini61 on 02/15/05 at 6:28 am

I've been noticing my eyesight getting worse over the past year or so.  Mostly at work when I'm trying to read close up. So, the paperwork gets farther and farther away from my eyes. If I had longer arms, I could see fine!  ;D  ;)

Written By: jaytee on 02/15/05 at 7:03 am

Nearsighted.  Practically blind really. 

Me too.  Although in Australia we say shortsighted or longsighted.  If I don't have my glasses on I just don't feel safe.  I used to wear contacts but haven't got back into the habit of them again.  Besides I don't think they give me as good vision as my specs.

Written By: Mona on 02/15/05 at 7:06 am

I am near sighted and wear contacts for that, but like Gemini, am getting to the age where it's hard to see things close up so I wear magnifying glasses for reading small print.

Written By: Paul on 02/15/05 at 7:19 am

Not sure what category it'd fall into, but I have a 'lazy' left eye...

If I cover my right eye, my vision is ever-so slightly blurred but not enough to cause a problem - when I was younger, the dear ol' eye clinic tried to correct it by forcing me to wear these horrid 'Joe 90' specs whilst reading and watching TV - and there was no way I was having that...

On my final visit there they agreed that my eye was improving, but I annoyed them somewhat when I told 'em I'd never wore the things...!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/15/05 at 9:26 am

I said other because I have so many things wrong with my vision. I have an eye disease called Retinitius Pigmentosa (RP) which means that I have very limited  peripheral vision and my night vision sucks, too. I am also near-sighted and have an astigmatism. I do have good functional vision for the most part and most people don't realize that I have vision problems until I tell them (or they see me bumping into things or tripping over things that are in my blind spots-but they usually just think that I am clumsy  ;)). I do wear glasses for reading, watching t.v. and such even though I can read without them but it is more difficult. I stopped driving a long time ago because I don't feel comfortable with my vision and being behind the wheel. I also feel lucky because I know many people with RP and they are completely blind or very close to it.

Cat

Written By: Bobby on 02/15/05 at 9:28 am

I used to be legally blind...my eyesight was rididulously bad...then I had LASIK & now, I'm 20/30 in one eye & 20/40 in the other :)

What is classed as 'legally blind', Crazymom?

It sounds really silly. Either you can see or not.  ???

Written By: IWannaBeAGoonie on 02/15/05 at 10:02 am

I put 20/20, but I can't be completely positive. But I've never had any problems with my eyesight, so it has to be at least close, right?  ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/15/05 at 10:15 am

I put 20/20, but I can't be completely positive. But I've never had any problems with my eyesight, so it has to be at least close, right?  ;)
That seems logical to me :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/15/05 at 10:17 am

Nearsighted....I hate driving at night with or without my glasses. I can't stand that vehichles have running lights now >:( :P

Written By: Mona on 02/15/05 at 5:05 pm

Nearsighted....I hate driving at night with or without my glasses. I can't stand that vehichles have running lights now >:( :P

I don't mind running lights, but I hate when people have fog lights on for no reason other than they think it's cool.  They are usually aimed too high and very bright and serve no purpose other than to blind me.  I don't care to drive at night unless I am familiar with the roads I'm on.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/15/05 at 5:18 pm

I don't mind running lights, but I hate when people have <a  style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=22&k=fog%20lights" onmouseover="window.status='fog lights'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">fog lights</a> on for no reason other than they think it's cool.  They are usually aimed too high and very bright and serve no purpose other than to blind me.  I don't care to drive at night unless I am familiar with the roads I'm on.
True >:(

Written By: Howard on 02/15/05 at 5:54 pm

perfect vision. 20/10

Howard

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/15/05 at 5:57 pm

perfect vision. 20/10

Howard

You lucky b*stard!  ;D  Last time I checked mine was 20/20, although it has to be worse now! 
BTW did you have a good Valentine's day?  :)

What's Lazy eye to whoever brought it up? 

Written By: Howard on 02/15/05 at 6:01 pm

You lucky b*stard!  ;D  Last time I checked mine was 20/20, although it has to be worse now! 
BTW did you have a good Valentine's day?  :)

I'm the only one in my family to have perfect vision.someday soon,I might need glasses.

Yes,I did. :)

Howard

Written By: Bobby on 02/15/05 at 6:04 pm

Here is a website describing 'Lazy eye', Mike:

http://www.strabismus.org/amblyopia_lazy_eye.html

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/15/05 at 6:05 pm

I'm the only one in my family to have perfect vision.someday soon,I might need glasses.

Yes,I did. :)

Howard

I'm glad.  :)

Written By: Paul on 02/15/05 at 6:09 pm

Here is a website describing 'Lazy eye', Mike:

http://www.strabismus.org/amblyopia_lazy_eye.html

Amblyopia...

Blimey! Try saying that when you've had a skinful...I think I'll stick to 'lazy eye'...!*

Interesting to note that it's not correctable by glasses...now why didn't someone tell that to the eye clinic years ago? It'd saved my time as well as theirs...!

(* Not to be confused with 'lazy b*stards', which are mainly to be found in my office...!)

Written By: Bobby on 02/15/05 at 6:12 pm

(* Not to be confused with 'lazy b*stards', which are mainly to be found in my office...!)

Lol.  ;D

Written By: mandamoo on 02/16/05 at 6:09 am

Farsighted/longsighted.

I've been wearing reading glasses for years and I seem to need them more and more these days  :P

Written By: Jennifer028 on 02/16/05 at 9:44 am

I'm nearsighted..I have contacts and sometimes I wear glasses  :)

Written By: Bobby on 02/16/05 at 1:20 pm

Oh I get it now, Crazymom.  :)

Written By: Bobby on 02/16/05 at 1:40 pm

It wasn't fun, but I dealt with it.  My eyesight is still far from perfect, but it's a million times better than it was ;)

8)

My eyesight is pretty good really, Catwoman . . . You are Catwoman aren't you?  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/16/05 at 6:10 pm

8)

My eyesight is pretty good really, Catwoman . . . You are Catwoman aren't you?  ;D

Hey! I resemble that remark.  ;)

Cat

Written By: Bobby on 02/16/05 at 7:02 pm

Hey! I resemble that remark.  ;)

Ha ha! Good one, Cat.  ;)  ;D

Written By: neebs25 on 02/16/05 at 7:52 pm

I found out I needed glasses last year cause I was getting headaches.  Now I could'nt get by without glasses or my contacts.  Has anyone else heard that Lasik surgery should not be done untill your 30s cause your eyes still grow?  Not sure how true that is.

Written By: NbC on 02/17/05 at 4:15 am

Me too.  Although in Australia we say shortsighted or longsighted.  If I don't have my glasses on I just don't feel safe.  I used to wear contacts but haven't got back into the habit of them again.  Besides I don't think they give me as good vision as my specs.

I wore contacts for quite a few years also but an accident happened when my daughter was just 5 years old.  She was swinging around a pole that came with a plastic tent and it slipped out of her hand and directly into my eye.  It caused a permanent scar and my eye doesn't dilate normally.  I haven't tried contacts since then.  I am afraid they would just pop out because they can't lay flat on my eye.  I am considering trying them again since I do hate glasses.   

Written By: Mona on 02/17/05 at 5:31 am

I wore contacts for quite a few years also but an accident happened when my daughter was just 5 years old.  She was swinging around a pole that came with a plastic tent and it slipped out of her hand and directly into my eye.  It caused a permanent scar and my eye doesn't dilate normally.  I haven't tried contacts since then.  I am afraid they would just pop out because they can't lay flat on my eye.  I am considering trying them again since I do hate glasses.   
  Were the contacts you wore before hard lenses?  I would think you might be able to wear soft lenses depending on how out of shape your eye is.

Written By: Mona on 02/17/05 at 5:33 am

I found out I needed glasses last year cause I was getting headaches.  Now I could'nt get by without glasses or my contacts.  Has anyone else heard that Lasik surgery should not be done untill your 30s cause your eyes still grow?  Not sure how true that is.
I never heard that.  When lasik first came out, I did hear that after about 10 years your vision would be bad again.  I don't know if that is still true or not.

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/17/05 at 5:49 am

I have a drift in my left eye.

You can tell if i am concentrating when i talk to you beause the pupil in the left eye will drift over ever so ever so slightly. Of course you could only tell if you knew to look for it.

Apart from that, superb eyesight.

Especially night vision, i know for a fact that my night vision is much better than average because i had a couple of tests done a while back because i kept getting migranes and one was to do with seeing in the dark.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/17/05 at 11:32 am

I have a drift in my left eye.

You can tell if i am concentrating when i talk to you beause the pupil in the left eye will drift over ever so ever so slightly. Of course you could only tell if you knew to look for it.

Apart from that, superb eyesight.

Especially night vision, i know for a fact that my night vision is much better than average because i had a couple of tests done a while back because i kept getting migranes and one was to do with seeing in the dark.

You know it's strange because in my right eye I have 20/20 vision but my left eye is nearsighted.  I'm also left-handed!  :o  Again, what is the worst your eyes can be to not need correction?  Averaging my eyes out, I have about 20/30.  Eye for eye, its 20/20 right and 20/50 left.

Written By: NbC on 02/18/05 at 3:28 am

Were the contacts you wore before hard lenses?  I would think you might be able to wear soft lenses depending on how out of shape your eye is.

Soft contacts.  Had them on at the time of the accident...never did find out where they went.  ;)  I probably can wear contacts again.  I may try to get a prescription when my once a year eye check-up is due. 

Written By: gemini61 on 02/18/05 at 5:20 am

I mentioned earlier that my eyes are getting bad, but today I woke up with a yucky eye infection. It's all red and gooky looking.  :P 

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 02/18/05 at 6:44 am

Mildly Farsighted

I got my first pair glasses just before Christmas.

Something to do with the fact that I spend all day every day in front of a pc and then come home and do the same thing  ;D

Written By: Bobby on 02/18/05 at 9:06 am

Mildly Farsighted

I got my first pair glasses just before Christmas.

Something to do with the fact that I spend all day every day in front of a pc and then come home and do the same thing  ;D

Ha ha! I know what you mean, Fuss.  ;D

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/18/05 at 3:54 pm

What's the benchline between normal vision and vision impaired enough to need glasses?

Written By: NullandVoid on 02/19/05 at 2:20 am

Horribly nearsighted, I just got tested for contacts today and you should have seen the look on my doc's face. My vision has been getting worse :(

Check for new replies or respond here...