inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is Gen Y more Conservative than Gen X?

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/18/05 at 4:46 pm

Yes and no, but I'd say yes.  Today's kids aren't as into controversy, and seem more anti-gay and less questioning of authority. 

Subject: Re: Is Gen Y more Conservative than Gen X?

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/18/05 at 5:53 pm

seems that way. in my gaming club, we have teenage members. myself and a couple of other friends my age would regale the young ones with our tales of drunken debaucheries and illicit behaviours we had as teens. they seem somewhat appalled and put out by our attitudes we once exhibited when we were teens. i noticed also these kids seem more polite and intelligent for there age.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 02/18/05 at 6:08 pm

seems that way. in my gaming club, we have teenage members. myself and a couple of other friends my age would regale the young ones with our tales of drunken debaucheries and illicit behaviours we had as teens. they seem somewhat appalled and put out by our attitudes we once exhibited when we were teens. i noticed also these kids seem more polite and intelligent for there age.

Well me and my mates are definatley not conservative according to that  :D

Written By: NullandVoid on 02/19/05 at 4:35 am

What part of the world are you from? The kids in my neighborhood are a bunch of deviants. You will hear 5 year olds cursing eachother and/or their teenage parents out.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/19/05 at 9:36 am

What part of the world are you from? The kids in my neighborhood are a bunch of deviants. You will hear 5 year olds cursing eachother and/or their teenage parents out.

northen canada. i guess were pretty civil up here...lol

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/19/05 at 11:58 am

Yes, b/c they are more culpable to following their parents and not following their own guts. Hello, only half of them thought publications, shows, etc didn't need approval from the government. So, there's a half that believes the government should approve! It's scary. The kids are not being taught to question authority, but question those who question authority!

In my classroom, I let my students know that the right thing to do is question authority always, including me (I'm human and not error-free!)

Tanya

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/19/05 at 1:49 pm

northen canada. i guess were pretty civil up here...lol

NW Territories?  Which part?

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/19/05 at 1:56 pm

NW Territories?  Which part?

not that far north. i live in thompson manitoba, it lies just north of the 55th parallel.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/19/05 at 2:01 pm

not that far north. i live in thompson manitoba, it lies just north of the 55th parallel.

Well I guess in Canada anything more than 300 mi north of the US border in Northern Canada, since the people are mostly packed at the southern end of the country.  How's the winters there?

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/19/05 at 2:05 pm

Well I guess in Canada anything more than 300 mi north of the US border in Northern Canada, since the people are mostly packed at the southern end of the country.  How's the winters there?

cold. -25C(-13F) is the average tempreture with an occasional dip to -40C(-40F) that can last for weeks.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/19/05 at 2:24 pm

cold. -25C(-13F) is the average tempreture with an occasional dip to -40C(-40F) that can last for weeks.

I used to live in Great Falls, Montana (about 110 mi south of the Canadian border).  That's like Hawaii compared to where you live and it was damn cold in the winter.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 02/25/05 at 1:09 am

It seems American youth are generally more conservative than most western countries. I guess it is the upbringing, kids of conservative parents generally follow their parent's beleifs, same with kids of liberal parents. And pop culture is becoming more conservative with abstinence, Christianity and morality coming back into fashion.

Check for new replies or respond here...