inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite Childhood Memory

Written By: neebs25 on 02/21/05 at 6:19 pm

Hi guys,

I was thinking of my grandmother today and all the time I spent with her and my grandpa at their house on the farm.  My fondest memories were spent with them.  We all have things and times from the past that we cherish.  What are yours?

Subject: Re: Favorite Childhood Memory

Written By: Tam on 02/21/05 at 9:52 pm

My favorite memory from childhood is the first time I ever went to a theme park. Canada's Wonderland was like Disney World to me - and when I went my parents were still together and my little sister wasnt big enough to go on rides so my Dad and I did them all!
;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/21/05 at 10:12 pm

Many...among some:

Living in France riding my tricycle when I was 4...though what I don't remember is playing the piano by ear to the songs on the radio...but my mom says every morning before school I'd do just that ???

Going to all those Buffets at the old Ent Air Force Base (Now The Olympic Training Center) in the late 1960's and going down to a recreation room to watch The Wonderful World Of Disney.

In 1967 me and my friends used to go down the street to a place called the sand dunes and pretend we were on another planet.

that's IT....you can all wake up now :D ;)

Written By: AL-B on 02/21/05 at 11:34 pm

Riding my Big Wheel and watching Sesame Street. (What's really great is that I'm still close to my friends from the "Big Wheel Days.")

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/21/05 at 11:56 pm

Star Wars in the living room with Bagel Bites. :)  Felt like a ball back then.

-FHF

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 02/22/05 at 12:32 am

Watching jam sessions when my mom would play guitar/banjo with a little 'band' she participated in in the 1970's.  I was about 10 or 11 at the time.  8)

Written By: Zella on 02/22/05 at 2:29 am

Warm summer nights in Ohio when my grandparents would come to visit. Everyone would sit outside in lawn chairs and talk about family news and other little bits of convo, until someone would remark that the mosquitos were starting to bite. Then I would remain outside and chase fireflies while the adults went in and got out their little jars of pennies, and a deck of cards and played penny poker. As I played in the back yard I could hear poker stuff coming out the kitchen window like:

"ante up a penny"

"down and dirty"

Finally my mom would call me in and I would wash up and put on my pajamas and then come back the kitchen and get myself a glass of Coke and some popcorn or pretzels or whatever snack they were having and watch them play cards. When my dad would finally quit playing to watch the news I would hop into his seat and take over his poker hand....

And once a week we would go to my grandparents' and the same scene would be played out there. It was a feeling of total peace and security... :)

Written By: Bobby on 02/22/05 at 5:13 am

A friend's birthday party about 20 years ago. It was my last for quite some time . . .

Written By: jaytee on 02/22/05 at 6:18 am

Cold winter mornings - my little sister and I jumping into bed with Mum and Dad.  We'd sing songs, recite whatever poetry we were learning at school and Dad would tell ridiculous jokes.  It always felt so safe and so warm :)

Written By: Bobby on 02/22/05 at 7:19 am

Cold winter mornings - my little sister and I jumping into bed with Mum and Dad.  We'd sing songs, recite whatever poetry we were learning at school and Dad would tell ridiculous jokes.  It always felt so safe and so warm :)

Oh that is so cool (well, not in a temperature sense  ;D).

Don't tell anyone but I have a word for that warm feeling of cosiness. I call it being 'squidgy' for some stupid reason. It makes no sense and I don't justify it.  ;D

Written By: gemini61 on 02/22/05 at 8:20 am

Playing outside all day long until mom would call us to come in. Staying out when it was dark and catching lightning bugs, playing flashlight tag and kick the can. Having block parties on our little street with the neighbors. Playing ice cream man with the upside down bike. (remember the thread on that topic). Going to get ice cream was a treat, not an everyday thing. Going to the Drive-in, roller skating, eating at drive-in restraunts with car hops. Ok, that's enough for now!  ;) 

Written By: jaytee on 02/22/05 at 8:24 am

Don't tell anyone but I have a word for that warm feeling of cosiness. I call it being 'squidgy' for some stupid reason. It makes no sense and I don't justify it.  ;D

"squidgy" is a great word to describe that feeling.  :)

Written By: Tam on 02/22/05 at 10:03 am

Love the 'squidgy' Rob! Makes perfect sense!!! ;)

Written By: Bobby on 02/22/05 at 10:19 am

Thank you Tam and Jaytee. It was one of those things I wasn't sure to divulge . . .  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/22/05 at 10:37 am

Going on family vacations to Disney World and visting my godprents in Wisconsin.

Saw the Pope in Manilla and Paris, during World Youth Days. (This was a couple of years ago.)

Went on my first airplane flight by myself.

Ice fishing with my dad.

Visted my aunt and uncle in California

Went to London, England on a school trip. (Also awhile back.)

Went to Expo 86 in Vancouver.

Written By: nally on 02/22/05 at 10:53 pm

I have lots of memories of my young life! :) I don't even know where to begin... :-\\

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 02/23/05 at 11:55 am

Most of my favorite childhood memories are kinda morbidly funny.  One of my favorites:

My little sister (about 3 yrs old at the time) was watching this America's Funniest Home Videos clip my mom had taped where these people are singing "Lollipop" to a wide-angle lens.  My sister was jumping up & down on my dad's rocking chair while singing "Lollipop, lollipop..."  Then right at the part where the song goes "*POP!*....boom boom boom boom..." she fell off the chair.  I said "RHODA ARE YOU OK?!!!"  She ran to my mom's room bawling her head off but still singing the lollipop song.  It was so funny!

Written By: Tam on 02/23/05 at 12:19 pm

I just remembered this one the other day...

When I was in 5th grade I was sent home because *yuck* I had Head Lice. My mom takes me home, does the whole routine, washing my hair with the shampoo and combing it for hours getting it all out. 3 days later I go back to school with a clean head of hair.... less than 48 hours later, the school calls my mom yet again to say I contracted them again...
Because of her utter frustration and disgust, my mom picked me up from school, we went to the drug store where she bought something and then went home. She sat me in a chair and handed me a wet, cool face cloth to put over my face. She then proceeded to spray my head down with RAID!!!
It worked - I never got head lice again, mom pulled me from that school and put me in a new one and the Doctor said it was a good thing I didnt loose all my hair!!! ;D

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 02/23/05 at 12:48 pm

I just remembered this one the other day...

When I was in 5th grade I was sent home because *yuck* I had Head Lice. My mom takes me home, does the whole routine, washing my hair with the shampoo and combing it for hours getting it all out. 3 days later I go back to school with a clean head of hair.... less than 48 hours later, the school calls my mom yet again to say I contracted them again...
Because of her utter frustration and disgust, my mom picked me up from school, we went to the drug store where she bought something and then went home. She sat me in a chair and handed me a wet, cool face cloth to put over my face. She then proceeded to spray my head down with RAID!!!
It worked - I never got head lice again, mom pulled me from that school and put me in a new one and the Doctor said it was a good thing I didnt loose all my hair!!! ;D

LOL!  ;D  Funny story, but I can imagine your mom's frustration!  :D

Fortunately nothing like that has ever happened to me or my children...

Written By: jackas on 02/23/05 at 1:15 pm

Riding my Big Wheel and watching Sesame Street. (What's really great is that I'm still close to my friends from the "Big Wheel Days.")

Wouldn't that be cool if they made Big Wheels for adults?  I would totally ride it.............in my back yard of course. 

I liked riding bikes with my friends and playing with Fisher Price Little People.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/23/05 at 1:35 pm

Most of my favorite childhood memories are kinda morbidly funny.  One of my favorites:

My little sister (about 3 yrs old at the time) was watching this America's Funniest Home Videos clip my mom had taped where these people are singing "Lollipop" to a wide-angle lens.  My sister was jumping up & down on my dad's rocking chair while singing "Lollipop, lollipop..."  Then right at the part where the song goes "*POP!*....boom boom boom boom..." she fell off the chair.  I said "RHODA ARE YOU OK?!!!"  She ran to my mom's room bawling her head off but still singing the lollipop song.  It was so funny!
Thanks for making ME laugh today ;D ;)

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 02/23/05 at 8:00 pm

I also have funny memories of myself trying to run away:  When I got mad I would go to my room and start packing my pillowcase with my favorite stuffed animals.  But then my big sister would play airport security and empty my whole pillowcase.  ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 02/25/05 at 6:20 pm

Whenever we had a snow day my mother would make home made bread.  She also always
found time to sing "I'm a Little Teapot" with me if my big sisters wouldn't :)

Written By: gemini61 on 02/25/05 at 6:22 pm

Whenever we had a snow day my mother would make home made bread.  She also always
found time to sing "I'm a Little Teapot" with me if my big sisters wouldn't :)

That is a very sweet memory! I love those kind  :) 

Written By: gemini61 on 02/25/05 at 6:26 pm

I also have funny memories of myself trying to run away:  When I got mad I would go to my room and start packing my pillowcase with my favorite stuffed animals.  But then my big sister would play airport security and empty my whole pillowcase.   ;D

I remember saying I was running away too. I'd go sit on the side of the house and wait to see if someone would come and look for me. Sometimes I'd be there for awhile waiting, waiting, waiting, then I'd get bored and just give up!  ;D

Written By: Mona on 02/25/05 at 6:34 pm

I was gonna run away once, too.  Mom let me pack my little suitcase and go out the door.  I got about two houses away before she yelled Ramona Sue, get back here.  So I went home.  ???

My brothers and I used to make haunted houses.  Quite elaborate actually.  Scared the piss out of one of my cousins once.  It's a shame kids don't do stuff like that now.  I mean what are they gonna talk about when they are old.  I sat on the couch and played video games all day.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/26/05 at 6:36 pm

2 in paticular. The first one was when I was about 6 or so and we went to see my great-grandmother who was living in a retirement home at the time. We walked in and there was store that sold all sorts of arts and crafts that the women who lived there made. There was this GIANT turtle that caught my eye but the store was closed (it was Sunday and in those days, stores were closed on Sundays). We visted with m great-grandmother but I don't really remember much of the visit. When we were about to leave, we were all standing in the lobby, getting in those last minute words of the conversation-well, the adults were, I was looking at that turtle. To my amazement, my great-grandmother noticed how I was looking at that turtle. She made them open the store so she could buy it for me. To this day, I still have it. It has shrunk over the years  ;) and it is now VERY dirty and it was sewn many times to repair all the love it had recieved over the years.  But he still sits in our bedroom. Most of my other stuffed animals are in the basement in a box, but not Timothy (and a few others but that is another story).  ;D

The second was my 8th birthday. My school was planning to see the play Peter Pan (a girl who was in my sister's class was playing Michael-we laughed about her playing a boy but we still thought it was cool that she was in the play). My mother was one of the chaperone and I told my teacher (with my mother standing right there) that I didn't have my permission slip with a big smile on my face-knowing that I was going anyway. Even my teacher said something to the effect that they could over-look that matter (with a little wink to my mother). After the play, my teacher took us outside for lunch since it was a very nice day. After we ate, I had to use the bathroom and my teacher gave me our garbage to throw away on the way to the girls' room. Before I finish in the bathroom, it seemed like half my class came running to get me saying the teacher needed to see me-and fast. I couldn't understand it. I didn't think that I took THAT long in the bathroom. Well, when I got back outside, they had a cake for me and sang (yes, the dreaded) "Happy Birthday". Thinking of that, still brings a smile to my face. Oh BTW, I did get the book Peter Pan for my birthday that year.  ;)

Cat

Written By: NullandVoid on 02/27/05 at 3:28 am

The day I saw  my younger brother in the hospital. He was a preemie so his daiper was huge, it came up to his chest. I also remember the nurse showing me how to wash my hands like the surgeons do so they could let me hold him (which was totally against the hospital's policy) I wasn't even to supposed to be in the NICU, I was only four. 

That day was great though, and I even have a pic of it.

Written By: Mona on 02/27/05 at 6:35 am

When my dad was in Viet Nam he and Mom sent reel to reel tapes back and forth to each other.  Both of them had tape recorders with more than one speed.  When he wanted to say stuff that was just for mom, he would slow down the speed.  Then when Mom played it back at regular speed it sounded something like the chipmonks.  He told us kids that he had a Vietmaniese Parrot, that of course, only spoke Vietnamiese.  When he came home and didn't bring that parrot, we were so disappointed.  It was years before he told us the truth.  :)

Written By: nally on 02/28/05 at 11:01 am

Okay, I'll start with one (but I'll add more later):

When I was in elementary school, I won four spelling bees. There was only one I didn't win, and it was when I was in third grade. That one was at a shopping mall, with 140 kids (from various schools in the Los Angeles area), and so I had to wait a long time between words. Plus, it was in the evening, so I began to get tired, especially when I was asked to spell "celebrity." I had in my mind the correct spelling, but for some reason it seemed wrong to me, so I announced my resignation from the spelling bee and went home.

Check for new replies or respond here...