inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: A Question for the Computer Geeks

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/28/05 at 11:39 am

Once upon a time, I had this ancient dinosaur of a word processor (not even a computer-no hard drive). I had to put all my files on the really floppy disks (I think they are called 5 inch disks if I am not mistaken). Well, all my files are STILL on those floppies and I would like to get them on the newer floppies so I can access them with my computer. Does anyone have any idea where I can get this done? I have talked to my brother about this problem and he doesn't have any disk drives for those old floppies. I would really hate to lose all those old files.

Cat

Subject: Re: A Question for the Computer Geeks

Written By: MooRocca on 02/28/05 at 12:42 pm

Once upon a time, I had this ancient dinosaur of a word processor (not even a computer-no hard drive). I had to put all my files on the really floppy disks (I think they are called 5 inch disks if I am not mistaken). Well, all my files are STILL on those floppies and I would like to get them on the newer floppies so I can access them with my computer. Does anyone have any idea where I can get this done? I have talked to my brother about this problem and he doesn't have any disk drives for those old floppies. I would really hate to lose all those old files.

Cat

According to an old friend of my hubby's who's an avid Amiga enthusiast, there are "old computer" enthusiast groups out there for about every old system ever made.  Search the web and Yahoogroups to find one for enthusiasts of a compatible system and it's likely that some of the members will have the necessary equipment to move the information off the old floppies for you and onto something you can access.  If someone's kind enough to offer to do it for you by mail, just be sure to run a virus scan over it before you access it with your machine, when you get it back. 

Another option is to watch Ebay or even your local paper and garage sales for a cheap old compatible system that has both a 5" and a 3.5" floppy drive and hope it's in working order when you get it home & set up -- again, be sure to run a virus scan over it before you install it back onto your newer system, just in case the old computer you got was infected. 

Other than that, if you have a computer repair shop in your area that also sells new & used parts, you might call to ask whether they can still move info from the big floppies to another medium and, if they can, what they charge for the service. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/28/05 at 12:44 pm

According to an old friend of my hubby's who's an avid Amiga enthusiast, there are "old computer" enthusiast groups out there for about every old system ever made.  Search the web and Yahoogroups to find one for enthusiasts of a compatible system and it's likely that some of the members will have the necessary equipment to move the information off the old floppies for you and onto something you can access.  If someone's kind enough to offer to do it for you by mail, just be sure to run a virus scan over it before you access it with your machine, when you get it back. 

Another option is to watch Ebay or even your local paper and garage sales for a cheap old compatible system that has both a 5" and a 3.5" floppy drive and hope it's in working order when you get it home & set up -- again, be sure to run a virus scan over it before you install it back onto your newer system, just in case the old computer you got was infected. 

Other than that, if you have a computer repair shop in your area that also sells new & used parts, you might call to ask whether they can still move info from the big floppies to another medium and, if they can, what they charge for the service. 

Thanks for the info.

Cat

Written By: zcrito on 02/28/05 at 5:48 pm

I took a night class last year and we met at a local high school  -- and they still had Apple IIe (1983-1985) computers in the back of one class room. I don't know if they were still being used but they had those old floppy drives and all.

I used to write software on Apple computers and still have some of those old bendable floppies. If I ever need to get anything off one of them I'll know where to go.

(The disks will proabably be full of errors now anyway).

;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/28/05 at 6:06 pm

Heck, I've got one in my basement....too bad you live so far away :(  Another option might be to have DC check at the college....there might be a computer geek there who would do it for ya ;)

We already tried the college route.  Does your old computer have both kinds of disk drives? And if so, does it work? We do have have that has both kinds of disk drives but it died.  :(  We have been trying to get a hold of a college computer geek to come and fix it so we can do it ourselves but so far, the dude has yet to return our calls.  >:(

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/01/05 at 10:28 am

It did.  I just went and looked for it, but it's gone.  I forgot that hubby donated it to a charity through work for Christmas.

Bummer. That would have been a good excuse to come for a visit this summer.  ;)

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/12/05 at 11:43 am

An up-date: We brought up the really ancient dinosaur (the word processor) from the basement and yes, it still works! (YAY!) And I am able to get into all those old files. Now, we just have to find an external disk drive so I can copy all those old files that are on the BIG floppies to the newer ones. This just may work. Keep your fingers crossed. Another alternative would be to print everything out and the thought of that does not appeal to me.  :P

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...