inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What's the land like where you live?

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/28/05 at 6:04 pm

Where I live its a grassy valley with a lot of farms (well around town) but there are forests ringing my community on several sides.  Rainfall is about 35-50 inches a year and we usually get about 1 snowfall a year.

Subject: Re: What's the land like where you live?

Written By: Bobby on 02/28/05 at 6:15 pm

Quite urban really. There's a bridge nearby and some fields. Oh. It's quite hilly too.  :)

Written By: jiminy on 02/28/05 at 6:22 pm

There is a lot of forests and giant size insects and the earth shakes when the giant lizards walk by

Written By: Bobby on 02/28/05 at 6:23 pm

There is a lot of forests and giant size insects and the earth shakes when the giant lizards walk by

You live in Jurrassic Park?  ;D

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/28/05 at 6:36 pm

my town is surrounded by thousands of square kilometres of pine trees, muskeg, lakes, rivers, bears, moose, beavers and mosquitoes so big, brave men quiver and woman faint.

Written By: jiminy on 02/28/05 at 6:38 pm

You live in Jurrassic Park?  ;D
Take away the giant lizards and I have described Georgia, minus the swamps  ;D

Written By: MooRocca on 02/28/05 at 6:43 pm

It tends to stay where we put it, doesn't make any noise and doesn't eat much -- it pretty much just lays there.  We think it might be dead, but we're still working up the nerve to poke it with a stick to find out for sure.  

Actually, I make it sound WAYYYY more exciting than it is.  I think I described it best in one of my parodies: "stunning lack of natural features stretches on and on."

Written By: Bobby on 02/28/05 at 6:56 pm

Take away the giant lizards and I have described Georgia, minus the swamps  ;D

Lol.  ;D

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/28/05 at 7:02 pm

Well I live in the Cleveland, Ohio area and it's an urban area and houses are pretty close together, but it's not overly packed like some areas. Climate is cold and snowy in the Winter, cool in the spring up until late May or so, then it gets pretty warm, warm to hot summers, cooler fall. No mountains around here, little hills a bit south of our house, lots of trees too.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/28/05 at 7:45 pm

I live in Southern CA. More desert than anything!

Tanya

Written By: Zella on 02/28/05 at 8:04 pm

Well I live in the Cleveland, Ohio area and it's an urban area and houses are pretty close together, but it's not overly packed like some areas. Climate is cold and snowy in the Winter, cool in the spring up until late May or so, then it gets pretty warm, warm to hot summers, cooler fall. No mountains around here, little hills a bit south of our house, lots of trees too.

And don't forget that River that actually catches on fire.... ;)

Edited to say: I just checked your profile - you're too young to remember that. Probably too young also to know that Parma used to be the Pink Flamingo and Cheese Whiz capitol of the known world....  :)

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/28/05 at 9:39 pm

And don't forget that River that actually catches on fire.... ;)

Edited to say: I just checked your profile - you're too young to remember that. Probably too young also to know that Parma used to be the Pink Flamingo and Cheese Whiz capitol of the known world....  :)

I don't remember it first hand of course, it happened sometime in the late '70s I believe, but I've heard all about it, lol. I never heard about the parma thing though.

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 02/28/05 at 9:53 pm

Depends on which home (I have basically 2 right now)

COLLEGE home: Just north of OKC but it's pretty nice- everything a city needs minus the skank.  The weather's ok but it's still too dam windy.  I don't mind cold so much if it wasn't for the wind.  We get plenty of rain and thunderstorms as well.

*HOME* home: sucks a**....Out in the country it's so boring.  It's only an hour away from where I go to school but its a lot hotter and more humid....just plain nasty.  Plus the nearest CITY (not town) is so depressing- no Target, no Starbucks, no PetSmart, only one shopping mall, construction everywhere, etc.

Written By: whitewolf on 02/28/05 at 10:01 pm

nice spot where i live, lots of trees beautiful rivers (where you get away from where the mill is)-
cold in the winter - too hot in the summer, we have no medium here lol

spring is my favorite time of the year,

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/28/05 at 10:08 pm

I live in western Pennsylvania.....so, lots of trees, hills, mountains....I live in a little town out in the country...but the good thing is that I am about 5 minutes away from the "city"...where there is everything from numerous Walmarts to every kind of restaurant you can imagine....also, I live about 40 minutes from Pittsburgh, Pa...so that's cool too!

Erin  :)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 02/28/05 at 10:30 pm

I live in an area that used to be sugarcane fields.  And not far from here I can also see the pineapple fields.  As for flora we have lots of different types of palm trees and flowering trees.  For animals we have mongooses which I periodically see scurrying across the roads.  :D

Forgot to mention:  I'm about a 10-minute drive from the ocean.

Written By: jackas on 02/28/05 at 11:08 pm

Same as jiminy, but no giant lizards. :)  I have swamps though, they call them marshes here. ::)  SWAMP
Oh, I forgot frogs and weeds up the ying yang.  The only nice thing we have is the beach, it's beautiful.

Written By: karen on 03/01/05 at 9:59 am

I live in a market town (about 60,000 residents). I live on one edge of it so it is only about 5 minutes walk into the countryside.  It would only take me about half an hour to walk across the town and into the countryside on the other side.  The nearest city is about 9 miles away and there are two others slightly further away.

The area I live in has some hills nearby, but nothing mountainous, and quite a lot of woodland.  It's part of the old hunting forest of Charnwood and near to the new National Forest.

This is my town centre on market day. 

edited to add Except it's clearly not a market day despite the name of the photo.  Damn, should have looked at the photo first!

Written By: conker on 03/01/05 at 10:13 am

It's frozen right now but in the summer it's rolling hills, lots of green farm fields, red dirt and ocean views.

Written By: jackas on 03/01/05 at 10:18 am

I am about 5 miles from the beach.  Here are some pics.  This is a aerial view my husband took from the plane.  The water is a very light blue green in the mornings.

Written By: jackas on 03/01/05 at 10:19 am

Here's a late afternoon pic.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/01/05 at 10:25 am

Typical New England small town. Looking out my window, I see the villiage green (that looks very white right now.  ;)) Leaving the main part of town are a bunch of farms. On days when the wind is just right, you notice them.  :P Off in the distance (well not too far-a few miles maybe) are mountains. This is a pic of our "downtown" area. Big metropolis, huh?

Cat

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 03/01/05 at 11:16 am

What about the roosters?  When hubby & I were on Kauai, they were EVERYWHERE!!! ;D

Oh, Kauai is known for roosters!!  ;D 

I, however, am on Oahu...and as this is a new residential area, the community association won't allow people to keep roosters (although a couple of families on my street have tried and been caught)...

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/01/05 at 11:39 am

A view from below....elevation 6,035 ft.

http://www.pikespeakcam.com/images/submitted/Dcp_0216_s.jpg

And from above...elevation 14,110 ft.

http://www.pikespeakcam.com/images/submitted/Mvc-459f_s.jpg

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 03/01/05 at 12:40 pm

umm....why would anyone WANT roosters if they weren't on a farm ???

A lot of the Asians like them...not sure whether just to keep as pets or to eat... ???

Written By: Howard on 03/01/05 at 3:38 pm

I basically live in a quiet neighborhood with lot of trees and grassy areas.

Howard

Written By: jackas on 03/01/05 at 4:12 pm

A view from below....elevation 6,035 ft.

Pretty pictures, Mark.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/01/05 at 4:18 pm

This is outside my house just taken a few minutes ago.

Written By: NullandVoid on 03/01/05 at 4:19 pm

I live on a nice, but smelly little island that's only connected to the US by a handfull of bridges and tunnels. We're surrounded by the Hudson River, the East River(river of death) and a little piece of the Atlantic. There's a huge park smack dab in the middle of our island which for some reason was decorated with a whole buch of ugly orange shower curtains.

okay you guys I live in Manhattan,NYC I was just trying to make it sound cute ;D

Written By: Howard on 03/01/05 at 4:19 pm

I see it's snowing Big D :o

Howard

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/01/05 at 4:20 pm

I see it's snowing Big D :o

Howard

Yea, it is, as usual around here.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 03/01/05 at 4:23 pm

Love the snow  :o

---

The land over here is very flat, coastal, with hills further inland. Has tons of smaller rivers and streams, tons of trees. The land is very dry in summer and very wet in winter, but doesn't get much snow (where I live).

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/01/05 at 4:25 pm

Love the snow  :o

---

The land over here is very flat, coastal, with hills further inland. The land is very dry in summer and very wet in winter, but doesn't get much snow (where I live).

Yea this is a fresh coat, there's about 4 inches or so on the ground may get a couple more tonight. It does look nice, doesn't it.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 03/01/05 at 4:26 pm

Yeah, the best we get where I am is a very deep frost, have to trip to the mountains to get some real stuff

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/01/05 at 5:29 pm

Pretty pictures, Mark.
Thanks, Chrissy...yours too :)

Written By: Alchoholica on 03/01/05 at 5:35 pm

We are actually in one very large valley here. So the wind picks up.

It's kind of rolling hills. Not hilly so much that you would notice, but if you get up high you can see them.

Fairly green where i live because we are kind of at the dge of the city suburbs and getting in to the smaller towns.

In england you have what is called a green belt around most citys.. like a stretch of open land. We live kind of near that.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/01/05 at 5:36 pm

It's hard to describe Canada.....  ::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/01/05 at 6:00 pm

I live on a nice, but smelly little island that's only connected to the US by a handfull of bridges and tunnels. We're surrounded by the Hudson River, the East River(river of death) and a little piece of the Atlantic. There's a huge park smack dab in the middle of our island which for some reason was decorated with a whole buch of ugly orange shower curtains.

okay you guys I live in Manhattan,NYC I was just trying to make it sound cute ;D

Nice description-especially the "river of death" part.  ;)

Cat

Written By: jaytee on 03/01/05 at 6:13 pm

I live in inner-city Brisbane.  The block we live on is 32 perches (809 M2).  It was originally farm land but was subdivided in the 1920s.  It is green and leafy - most people prefer tropical gardens and our suburb would be considered to be well kept with many lovely homes.  We are only 1 hour from the Gold or Sunshine Coasts and there are great islands and/or mountains about 1- 2 hours away.

Written By: Jessica on 03/01/05 at 7:03 pm

I live near the Monterey bay, so there's the ocean, valley, forest, and mountains. Quite beautiful, especially the wild Big Sur coast. Our weather sucks though. Don't ever believe that BS about Cali being sunny and warm year round. :P

Written By: jackas on 03/01/05 at 7:09 pm

I live near the Monterey bay, so there's the ocean, valley, forest, and mountains. Quite beautiful, especially the wild Big Sur coast. Our weather sucks though. Don't ever believe that BS about Cali being sunny and warm year round. :P

I know, I've driven the 1 a number of times going between Sacramento and LA.  That area is very beautiful, but cold and cloudy.  I would love to have a vacation house out there.  Just need a lot of $$$$. :)

Written By: Jessica on 03/01/05 at 7:18 pm

Just need a lot of $$$$. :)

Oooh yeah. There was this grubby house in a dinky town not far from here that went for $725,000. :o

Written By: Gis on 03/02/05 at 11:45 am

I live in a small-ish town.My house is built on what was once a pond(now drained.)so the garden floods very often. The town is surrounded by fields and small villages.I'm a 15 minute train journey from two citys and 40 mins away from London.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 03/02/05 at 12:22 pm

I'm sure they're not pets ;)

You're probably right!  ;)

Written By: Hawaiin Sweetness on 03/02/05 at 12:39 pm

A lot of concrete hills in the beutiful San Diego ;D

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/02/05 at 1:15 pm

Definitely not north and central cal.  The north Cali coast is very similar to the Oregon Coast, cold, dangerous currents, and often wet.  I like it though  8)

Written By: NullandVoid on 03/05/05 at 1:28 am

Nice description-especially the "river of death" part.  ;)

Cat

Thanks I do my best :) are you from NY too?

Written By: NbC on 03/05/05 at 5:29 am

A lot of the Asians like them...not sure whether just to keep as pets or to eat... ???

I am sure they are probably used more for fighting.  Cock Fights are quite popular.  Although I think it should be illegal.  Just as bad as dog fighting.  And not to forget about Siamese Fighting Fish (Bettas) also being used for entertainment.  Just horrible.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/05/05 at 12:16 pm

Thanks I do my best :) are you from NY too?

Originally from up-state. Every now and again, you can still hear my "New Yowk" accent.  ;)

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...