inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Have You Ever Had A Serious Accident?

Written By: Indy Gent on 03/01/05 at 5:09 pm

Don't want to upset anyone, but has anyone had an accident that required a hospital stay, or a cast, or rehab? It's been a day of accidents. A woman in our building had a heavy file cabinet fall on her big toe. I guess her group, which included four men, tried to move the chest with little square holders used to carry heavy crates or boxes. It seems it could have been prevented. I have been in a turned over car with my family in Maryland when I was a toddler. My mom had the most serious injuries, but still only stay at the hospital a few days. Everyone else escaped with a few scraps, even my dad, who ran a red light. Scary. :-\\

Subject: Re: Have You Ever Had A Serious Accident?

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/01/05 at 5:10 pm

Well, my parents once told me that I was an accident :D

Written By: gemini61 on 03/01/05 at 5:14 pm

I hit a deer last year. Messed up my car pretty good, but luckily I wasn't hurt. I haven't had any serious hospital stays though . . . . knock on wood!  ;)

Written By: Alchoholica on 03/01/05 at 5:19 pm

Well, my parents once told me that I was an accident :D

And yet your here  ;D

I was doing some freestyle wrestling and a guy came down on top of me, he put his arm out and his elbow went straight through my forehead. It knocked me out cold for about 2 mins. Then when i came to i jumped up and because of the tremendous blood loss the vision in my right eye was.. well not there, it was black and i shouted at nobody in particular 'YOU BASTARD WHERE'S MY EYE!' LOL.
Still that was somewhat serious.

I got zapped by a very strong current electric fence and wasn't able to stand up.. like for 3 days  ;D

I severed and detached my Anterior Cruciate Ligament (Wrestling again). The hospital didn't actually admit me at all (cus they are usless) however i was incapable of any sort of motion for over a week.

Trying to think, there have been so many i'm trying to think what consititutes serious..

My friend managed to hit me in the head with a golf club, which once again was an overnight stay due to loss of blood and head trauma.

The funniest was when me and my friend pete were messing around ages ago and he rammed my head in to the side of a Vending machine (a coke machine) anywho it knocked me out and about 6 hours later i started getting dizzy and wierd. My Mom took me to hospital and they admitted me once again overnight due to basically Head Trauma.

The most serious was when i swallowed mercury and had to be rushed to a posions clinic... which once again ment an overnight stay.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/01/05 at 5:25 pm

And yet your here  ;D

I was doing some freestyle wrestling and a guy came down on top of me, he put his arm out and his elbow went straight through my forehead. It knocked me out cold for about 2 mins. Then when i came to i jumped up and because of the tremendous blood loss the vision in my right eye was.. well not there, it was black and i shouted at nobody in particular 'YOU BASTARD WHERE'S MY EYE!' LOL.

I got zapped by a very strong current electric fence and wasn't able to stand up.. like for 3 days  ;D

I severed and detached my Anterior Cruciate Ligament (Wrestling again). The hospital didn't actually admit me at all (cus they are usless) however i was incapable of any sort of motion for over a week.

Trying to think, there have been so many i'm trying to think what consititutes serious..

My friend managed to hit me in the head with a golf club, which once again was an overnight stay due to loss of blood and head trauma.

The funniest was when me and my friend pete were messing around ages ago and he rammed my head in to the side of a Vending machine (a coke machine) anywho it knocked me out and about 6 hours later i started getting dizzy and wierd. My Mom took me to hospital and they admitted me once again overnight due to basically Head Trauma.

The most serious was when i swallowed mercury and had to be rushed to a posions clinic... which once again ment an overnight stay.
A few weeks ago I cracked a bone in my wrist during a basketball game...and back in 1981 while in college I went up for a rebound and a guy stepped underneath me as I was coming down. My  jaw hit the top of his head and I was knocked out...I had amnesia for nearly 2 days. It was weird not knowing who or where I was :-\\

Written By: Alchoholica on 03/01/05 at 5:31 pm

A few weeks ago I cracked a bone in my wrist during a basketball game...and back in 1981 while in college I went up for a rebound and a guy stepped underneath me as I was coming down. My  jaw hit the top of his head and I was knocked out...I had amnesia for nearly 2 days. It was weird not knowing who or where I was :-\\

Yeah it's so strange isn't it. I had like some trouble the other day when i clonked my head. I was repeating myself and forgetting i had done stuff. My Mom was getting really worried because i would go to the kitchen for like a bag of chips 3-4 times in an hour and come back without them  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/01/05 at 5:38 pm

1) Car ran over my foot while walking across the street.

2) Fell down while church during Christmas, and blacked out. I was overheated at the time.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 03/01/05 at 5:49 pm

When I was 8 years old I broke my foot.

About 2 years ago I dropped a shelf and it fell about 5 feet, with a corner going into my foot.  I ended up going to the hospital to have it stitched.

Written By: gemini61 on 03/01/05 at 5:49 pm

And yet your here  ;D

I got zapped by a very strong current electric fence and wasn't able to stand up.. like for 3 days  ;D

Lordy, sounds like you're an accident just waiting to happen   :o  Hope your parents have good medical insurance    ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/01/05 at 5:55 pm

I had a really bad accident where someone hit me from behind while I was stopped in traffic. He hit him me so hard that I hit the guy in front of me and the guy in front of me hit the guy in front of him. My car looked like an accordin after. Luckily, my passinger nor I were seriously hurt. I did have back problems after-they called it "back strain". What was really bad about it, I had just sent in my last payment on the car (got the title a week after the accident) and the guy who hit me, it wasn't even his car. He borrowed it from a friend of his.  ::) We were pretty lucky but I really believe it was our seat belts that saved us from any major injury. I believed in seatbelts before but after, let's just say that I WILL NOT get into a car without putting one on.

Cat

Written By: Paul on 03/01/05 at 5:56 pm

Not that I can think of - I must be the insurance man's dream...!

I don't think I've even broken a bone, and apart from a couple of teeth that went AWOL, I still have all my original bits...

There's always a downside - back pain and the odd bit of cramp are my two...

Written By: gord on 03/01/05 at 6:15 pm

I've had a few falls at work, only one resulted in a broken wrist, I ended up going to Dubai in the mid-east with that cast and had it removed at an archaic medical center there. I probably would have been better chewing it off :)

Written By: Howard on 03/01/05 at 6:45 pm

I strained my hamstring bowling and my thigh popped :(

Howard

Written By: Bobby on 03/01/05 at 7:20 pm

I strained my hamstring bowling and my thigh popped :(

Eugh! Sounds painful. You did that bowling? I dread to think what would happen to you on an American Football pitch.  ;)

I have had no serious accidents at all. I've been in hospital once in my life and that is to have an operation on my eye when I was six years old.

Written By: Howard on 03/01/05 at 7:21 pm

Eugh! Sounds painful. You did that bowling? I dread to think what would happen to you on an American Football pitch.  ;)

I have had no serious accidents at all. I've been in hospital once in my life and that is to have an operation on my eye when I was six years old.

serious pain and a limp :o :(

Howard

Written By: nally on 03/01/05 at 11:11 pm

I haven't had any serious ones, but my parents have been involved in some small accidents, but they're accidents nonetheless.

First of all, in December 1989, my mom was involved in a roller-skating accident where someone ran over her by accident, permanently dislocating the bone in her right wrist and tearing some ligaments. She received physical therapy for the next few months and had to write left-handed (not very easy). By the way, I was there at the roller rink, but I didn't see it happen.

I can't think of any others right now. :-\\

Written By: karen on 03/02/05 at 10:34 am

I personally haven't (touch wood) but my son broke his leg about 18 months ago.  He fell off the climbing frame at nursery somehow and I think his foot must have wedged in the step because the bone broke just above his ankle.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/02/05 at 12:07 pm

Don't want to upset anyone, but has anyone had an accident that required a hospital stay, or a cast, or rehab? It's been a day of accidents. A woman in our building had a heavy file cabinet fall on her big toe. I guess her group, which included four men, tried to move the chest with little square holders used to carry heavy crates or boxes. It seems it could have been prevented. I have been in a turned over car with my family in Maryland when I was a toddler. My mom had the most serious injuries, but still only stay at the hospital a few days. Everyone else escaped with a few scraps, even my dad, who ran a red light. Scary. :-\\

I once cause great pain to my mother.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/02/05 at 3:40 pm

About 10 years ago I broke my foot (yes I was 4 then).  I can't remember the intensity of the pain but it was the worst pain I've felt in my life.  At least I remember the house I lived in better because of it  8)

-FHF  ;)

Written By: Ripp on 03/02/05 at 3:52 pm

Hmmm...I'm having to ask my mum...

...nope.

lucky me!

ive always wondered what it's like being in a hospital.

Written By: gemini61 on 03/02/05 at 4:01 pm

I once cause great pain to my mother.

:D

Written By: Howard on 03/02/05 at 8:11 pm

I stubbed my foot :(

Howard

Written By: Alchoholica on 03/03/05 at 8:19 am

ive always wondered what it's like being in a hospital.

A lot of fun if your a guy  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/03/05 at 9:58 am

I used to live with a guy who seemed to get into accident after accident for about 6 month period. He got into a few accidents at work-one resulted in a broken nose. A couple of car accidents-the first one they ALMOST totalled his car but decided to repair it (even though I wished that they had because he wouldn't have gotten into the second one which was far worse). He got drunk one night and was planning to stay with a friend. But another guy he know said that he would drive him home-in his car. I'm not too sure of the specifics but the car ended up on its side, my ex-significant other's head basically went out the passinger side window and the car had landed on it. And the guy who was driving was never seen again. I couldn't believe that he left my ex there to die. But he didn't. He had to undergo a few surgeries and ended up with four steel plates in his head. I acted as leasion between the hospital and his family since they were on the other side of the country. I kept them up-to-date on his progress.  What really bothered me was they tried to nab him with a DWI when they had to dig him out from the passinger side. His recovery was truly remarkable, though but he earned the nickname of "Medal Head".

Cat

Written By: Howard on 03/03/05 at 5:25 pm

punched in the stomach :o

Howard

Written By: Bobby on 03/03/05 at 5:27 pm

A lot of fun if your a guy  ;D

Depends on if you get a nurse or not.  ;D

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/03/05 at 9:39 pm

I was in a bad wreck in December of 2001. My dad's truck hydroplaned in an intersection, and the bed slammed into a steele pole, ving it in all the way up to the back window. He had to get a new bed. Had we hit it from the front, we'd have been killed.

Written By: Davester on 03/03/05 at 10:10 pm

Nope.  Fortunatlely, never been involved in a serious or even minor traffic accident my whole life...

knocks wood...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/03/05 at 10:28 pm

um...I was about 15 years old and I was rushing to open a door, a friend was on the other side and she pushed as I pulled....needless to say, I had my hand on the glass instead of the doorknob....and my hand/arm went through the glass....of course as an instinct...I pulled it back out...literally ripping my skin.....well....I had to get many stitches and my arm/hand was sore for a long time....to this day it is still tender when I touch where the stitches once were!!!

Erin  :o

Written By: Howard on 03/04/05 at 4:01 pm

fell down the stairs and broke my clavicle when I was a kid in 1977

Howard

Written By: AL-B on 03/04/05 at 4:13 pm

I was playing one-on-one tackle football with a good friend of mine when we were in the 4th gra
fell down the stairs and broke my clavicle when I was a kid in 1977

Howard
I was playing one-on-one tackle football with a good friend of mine when we were in the 4th grade (so it would've been around 1980), and I ran out of bounds as he was tackling me and I landed on the sidewalk, breaking my collarbone. (I never held it against him, and it was never an issue between us.) It hurt like a sumbitch!!!

Written By: danootaandme on 03/04/05 at 6:30 pm

I was riding my motorcycle in Vermont(1975), and was on this nice winding rode, but I was going a bit too
fast and the road winded, and I didn't.  Over the handlebars into a guard rail.  I as knocked out for a
couple of minutes and a real nice couple stopped to help.  I was with friends on a weekend trip, we had to leave the bike with a farmer and come back the next week. 

Written By: NullandVoid on 03/05/05 at 2:15 am

I've never had a serious accident but I did have a hospital stay. When I was an infant I got hospitalized because everyone on my block caught tuberculosis. They gave me medicine just to make sure that i didn't develop the actual disease

Written By: Bauble on 03/05/05 at 6:21 am

Once when I still lived on the west coast I fell of the roof when I was cleaning leafs out of the gutter.  That hurt.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/05/05 at 12:18 pm

I was riding my motorcycle in Vermont(1975), and was on this nice winding rode

That could be just about any road in Vermont.  ;)

Cat

Written By: jiminy on 03/05/05 at 2:43 pm

Depends on if you get a nurse or not.  ;D
believe me the nurses are not all cute and sexy like you see on TV, most weigh in at close to 200 lbs

Written By: jackas on 03/05/05 at 5:52 pm

I had a vending machine fall on me one time.  It slid down the front of my right leg and landed on my foot.  I didn't break anything but the front of my leg was black for over a week.  It took about four months to get full motion back in my leg and I still have a spot on my shin that is numb, I'm assuming from nerve damage.

It was funny because after it landed on my foot, my friend looked at me and said, "Do you need help?" :o

Written By: Bobby on 03/05/05 at 5:58 pm

I am fortunate to not have an accident but I went to hospital when I was six years old to have an operation on my eye. I woke up to find my eyes were stinging because they cut my eye lashes off.

Written By: Dagwood on 03/05/05 at 8:21 pm

Ouch, this thread hurts.

7 years ago (the day my daughter took her first step) I was helping my mother in her yard and fell and broke my ankle.  I broke the three main bones so I had to have surgery.  Three days in the hospital and 6 weeks on my back.  My doctor wouldn't let me go back to work...it sucked.

Check for new replies or respond here...