inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: chat room??? wouldn't it be cool??

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/03/05 at 10:25 pm

I am fairly new to this site....and I am not sure if this exists already here...but it would be really cool if the site had a chat room that we could all go in and hang out and "talk" to one another....it would just be an alternative to chatting via posts on the boards...just an idea!!

Erin  ::)

Subject: Re: chat room??? wouldn't it be cool??

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/03/05 at 10:25 pm

That would be fabulous! :) Great idea, Erin.

-The Dude

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/03/05 at 10:29 pm

thanks!  ;)

Written By: Jennifer028 on 03/04/05 at 11:22 am

Yes that would be cool  :)

Written By: AL-B on 03/04/05 at 11:31 am

That is a great idea, and I'm surprised no one (including myself) had thought of it sooner. Just think of the interesting conversations Maxwell Smart and GWBush2004 could have!  (Sorry to pick on you guys, but that's the first thing that came to mind. ;))

Written By: Howard on 03/04/05 at 3:42 pm

I think it'd be a great idea. :)

Howard

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/04/05 at 5:10 pm

how could we get it started??

Erin :)

Written By: Bobby on 03/04/05 at 6:37 pm

Yeah. Great idea. I'm not sure but I think ChuckyG has mused with the idea on occassion.  :)

Written By: Alchoholica on 03/05/05 at 4:12 am

I know that you can set them up free on MSN Groups, but only people in the US & Canada would be able to use it. This is due to the EU and there FAAAAABULOUS  laws.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/25/05 at 3:42 am

BUMP

I like this idea myself -- I chat (both on AIM and in chatrooms) with alot of my online friends on other message boards. Since the chatroom is somewhere we can talk about anything, it doesn't take away from the on-board discussions (well, I'm apparently a never-ending source of questions and answers also, LOL).

We could either (a) use AIM, or (b) for those that don't have it, there's a chatroom off the BTTF message board I use, but it's almost always deserted.

Written By: JavaChick on 03/25/05 at 7:06 am

I think it's a fun idea.  I can easily set up a (relatively) private chat room to members of the oo's.  The only thing about it is no one would need to register to join it.  It's basically a chat room with a URL only.  No club to join/downloads/member list.  Let me know if I can help.  :)

Written By: sputnikcorp on 03/25/05 at 9:59 am

i can see anonymous posters on that chat room blasting other posters on these boards. it will be interesting to see the flame wars that will ensue.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/25/05 at 10:50 am

If people are really serious about this one way that I THINK could work is start a yahoo group. I belong to one and know that there is a chat room on it-but I don't know if that comes from yahoo or if the creator of the group put it there. It is just an idea.

Cat

Written By: JavaChick on 03/25/05 at 11:13 am

i can see anonymous posters on that chat room blasting other posters on these boards. it will be interesting to see the flame wars that will ensue.

True enuff re the anonymous posters.  I could probably password protect the web page to get to the chat room, but even then the chat room itself I have in mind doesn't require people to register.

Yahoo Clubs do have a chat room as was mentioned by CatwomanofV.  I've belonged to several and they seem to work well although there is no way to guarantee any chat won't get anonymous chatters/flamers.  Even with Yahoo, you can make as many ID's as you want..

Written By: Howard on 03/25/05 at 3:50 pm

It'd be a good idea but wouldn't e-mailing be better?

Howard

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 03/25/05 at 8:51 pm

Yeah. Great idea. I'm not sure but I think ChuckyG has mused with the idea on occassion.  :)

He has indeed, Bobby.  I've been a member here since 1999 and I remember a chat room that Chucky had on one of the earlier incarnations of inthe80s.  The only thing is that people rarely used it, so he decided to do away with it.

Written By: JavaChick on 03/25/05 at 10:21 pm

He has indeed, Bobby. I've been a member here since 1999 and I remember a chat room that Chucky had on one of the earlier incarnations of inthe80s. The only thing is that people rarely used it, so he decided to do away with it.

I've put up chat rooms on request on a few different sites in the past, and found the same thing.  Everyone liked the idea of having one but the rooms were rarely used. I imagine when you're a host paying for bandwith it would be a huge waste.  (mine were always free, I'm an amateur lol)

Written By: jackas on 03/25/05 at 10:56 pm

I was also thinking of something similar.  My husband does all that on-line gaming and there is a way to actually talk to people who you are playing with.  He downloaded something called "Team Speak" and one person host the whole thing and gives out an IP address blah, blah, blah............... some how they all connect.  He wears headphones to listen to them, but sometimes when he doesn't have his headphones plugged in I can hear what they are all saying.  It's kind of cool.

Written By: ktelqueen on 03/25/05 at 11:07 pm

lolol..perhaps a poll would be an idea,JavaChick.. :D

Written By: JavaChick on 03/25/05 at 11:16 pm

lol hey it's not my idea.. i just offered to create it if ppl wanted it lol  i actually did up a l'ill one as a sample/test etc but i'm not sure if it'd be cool by everyone to post the link.  :-\\

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/26/05 at 1:12 pm

lol hey it's not my idea.. i just offered to create it if ppl wanted it lol  i actually did up a l'ill one as a sample/test etc but i'm not sure if it'd be cool by everyone to post the link.   :-\\

I say go for it! I just think that whenever there are alot of us on the boards....and you want to talk to more than 1 person...or say something alot faster than waiting for them to reply via a thread...it would be a lot easier to just go to a chat room..etc.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/26/05 at 1:16 pm

I say go for it! I just think that whenever there are alot of us on the boards....and you want to talk to more than 1 person...or say something alot faster than waiting for them to reply via a thread...it would be a lot easier to just go to a chat room..etc.

A chat room is a synchronous communication and will only work if people are online together, but as this as a forum this messageboard works well as an asynchronous communication for the message/reply remains on screen ready for when people log in.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/26/05 at 1:19 pm

A chat room is a synchronous communication and will only work if people are online together, but as this as a forum this messageboard works well as an asynchronous communication for the message/reply remains on screen ready for when people log in.

true...but there are alot of times that the messageboards are just crawling with people at one time....and sometimes it gets boring sitting around waiting for an answer via threads.....but ya, they work most of the time...whenever there aren't alot of people on at one time....and people can continuously make posts when they want.

Written By: ADH13 on 03/26/05 at 1:22 pm

true...but there are alot of times that the messageboards are just crawling with people at one time....and sometimes it gets boring sitting around waiting for an answer via threads.....but ya, they work most of the time...whenever there aren't alot of people on at one time....and people can continuously make posts when they want.

Good morning Erin!

I kind of think that if there was a chatroom, people might stop posting on the boards...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/26/05 at 1:25 pm

Good morning Erin!

I kind of think that if there was a chatroom, people might stop posting on the boards...

Hello! How are ya?
you have a point there.....I just thought that maybe it would be something different to add to the message boards...I know myself...I would take advantage of both...but I am not sure how everyone else would respond to that.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/26/05 at 1:25 pm

Good morning Erin!

I've thought about that too (in fact, it was something I kinda worried about on other message boards), but I've come to realize, with how much I like to discuss things and hang out, I'll always be a posting maniac no matter what, LOL.

I think there's something cool about "live" talking you can't really replicate on the board or in PM's/Emails.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/26/05 at 3:32 pm

duh. chat rooms rock.whoever is 29 or under should go in them
people above that age shouldnt

Why shouldn't people over 29 go into chat rooms? I am over 29 and have been in a few of them on occasion. Personally, I think anyone under 15 shouldn't go into them. They don't know what kind of preditors are in there and don't know how to ward off the preditors.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 03/26/05 at 5:02 pm

That's a very good idea.We can bring this matter up with Chucky

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/27/05 at 1:17 pm

I agree that it would be a great Idea for those who are into chat rooms...Personally I don'6t like them because everyone talks over everyone else and I could never keep up with who was saying what to who :-\\

Written By: Bobby on 03/27/05 at 3:30 pm

He has indeed, Bobby.  I've been a member here since 1999 and I remember a chat room that Chucky had on one of the earlier incarnations of inthe80s.  The only thing is that people rarely used it, so he decided to do away with it.

Oh right. Thanks for the info, Karen.  :)

As this happened previously, I can understand Chucky's hesitation to put it back on.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 03/27/05 at 8:23 pm

A chat room would be a nice idea, but would people use them? Various other forums I've come across that are just as lively as this one have chat rooms that are almost dead.

Written By: Tam on 07/08/07 at 12:24 am

I am crazy for bumping this I know!
We had the chat for a while, and sometimes it did take away from the boards, what with members being in there instead of posting.
I know a few would liek to have it back again, but then there were security issues with it and such.
If there were a way to actually embed it into the system then it might work better. Who knows?

All I know is that I miss having it around......

Written By: whistledog on 07/08/07 at 12:33 am

I wish the chat would come back also.  I really miss it :\'(

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/08/07 at 11:35 am

hahaha...ya, good times..good times! ;D

Written By: spaceace on 07/08/07 at 12:18 pm

Yeah, I miss talking to people at 2:00 am. :)

Written By: Gis on 07/08/07 at 3:28 pm

Yeah, just about the only time I got to talk to Bobo was in the morning before I went to work!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 07/08/07 at 3:46 pm

I wish the chat would come back also.  I really miss it :\'(
Maybe "Jack Nicholson" might even show up again.  ;D

Written By: Marian on 07/08/07 at 4:47 pm

yes it would.

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 07/08/07 at 8:52 pm

Yeah, I miss talking to people at 2:00 am. :)

Same here.

Written By: lorac61469 on 07/08/07 at 9:06 pm

I didn't go into chat often, but when I did, it was fun.

Check for new replies or respond here...