inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When, in your opinion, does one become adult?

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/05/05 at 9:26 pm

Depends on the person, but I'd say 22.  19-21 year olds still seem pretty teenish. 24's when you're full-blown adult.

Subject: Re: When, in your opinion, does one become adult?

Written By: Apricot on 03/05/05 at 9:26 pm

When one is able to understand the magnitude of one's actions and take responsibility.

And when one can booze it up!  ;D

Written By: ski_luvr on 03/05/05 at 9:38 pm

I'd have to agree that it depends on the individual. Legally 18  Mentally some never.  :-\\ ???

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/05/05 at 9:41 pm

I'd have to agree that it depends on the individual. Legally 18  Mentally some never.   :-\\ ???

Like Michael Jackson  ;D

Written By: whitewolf on 03/05/05 at 9:48 pm

Where I live you're an adult when you reach 18, allowed to buy cigarettes when your 19 and get into bars at 19, but I have seen some teens with the sense of an adult and some adults that seem to be thinking with their butts.

Written By: Jennifer028 on 03/05/05 at 9:55 pm

21  :)

Written By: ski_luvr on 03/05/05 at 9:59 pm

Like Michael Jackson  ;D
Well.........YES

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 03/05/05 at 10:06 pm

21  :)

I agree.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/05/05 at 10:28 pm

Depends on the person, but I'd say 22.  19-21 year olds still seem pretty teenish. 24's when you're full-blown adult.

You get a lot of "adult" rights at 18, but for full blown grown-up adult I'll say 21, which is what society seems to have dictated for many years. 18-20 is kinda like young adult, not a child but not quite a full grown-up adult yet either.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/05/05 at 10:29 pm

You get a lot of "adult" rights at 18, but for full blown grown-up adult I'll say 21, which is what society seems to have dictated for many years. 18-20 is kinda like young adult, not a child but not quite a full grown-up adult yet either.

Sounds right to me :)

Written By: jackas on 03/05/05 at 10:29 pm

I guess it depends who you're asking.  The Armed Forces would say 18, drinking establishments would say 21, and the insurance company would say 25. ::)

I think around 20-21.

Written By: ktelqueen on 03/05/05 at 11:05 pm

20/21 for me as well  :)

Written By: ski_luvr on 03/05/05 at 11:11 pm

18 you can smoke,vote,gamble and die for your country 21 you can drink and 25 depending on your driving record and Marital status better insurance rates smoking also tends to make a difference on your rates. But after 25...................................................

Written By: kmkush on 03/05/05 at 11:21 pm

Around 23, IF one is able to support him/herself, living independently and responsibly, indicating good judgement and intention.
Another Q: How do we "downgrade" some "adults" to a category of, say, "Unsafe" ?????

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/06/05 at 12:09 am

Its not really a sensible question..

Well, do you mean legally? Then the obvious answer is 18(or perhaps 21)..

..but, in the sense of, acting like an adult? That is hard to say. It depends on the person, and there is a certain amount of cultural interpretation to factor in.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/06/05 at 12:53 am

Its not really a sensible question..

Well, do you mean legally? Then the obvious answer is 18(or perhaps 21)..

..but, in the sense of, acting like an adult? That is hard to say. It depends on the person, and there is a certain amount of cultural interpretation to factor in.

Acting :)

-DR  :)

Written By: Zella on 03/06/05 at 1:36 am

I am dubiously hopeful that it may occur sometime after 46, but I doubt it... :)

Written By: Fred on 03/06/05 at 2:19 am

I said 16, but that's just for me. Believe me if you knew me I'm a very mature guy, or course there's the odd "teenage guy, idiotic" thing that I enjoy to do. But who doesn't once in a while?  ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/06/05 at 2:58 am

Legally 18, but it all depends on mentality?

Written By: jaytee on 03/06/05 at 4:27 am

I'd have to agree that it depends on the individual. Legally 18  Mentally some never.   :-\\ ???

Gotta agree with ski_luvr on this.

Written By: Ripp on 03/06/05 at 6:39 am

20 to me.

Yes you officially become adult at 18 where i am, but then again you're a teenage adult. You're still a teen yet you're an adult, but when you become 20 you're no longer a teen and you are full adult. Or is this wrong? LOL nah cya soon

Written By: Bobby on 03/06/05 at 6:54 am

Legally 18, mentally whenever . . .

Written By: Stompgal on 03/07/05 at 6:36 am

Normally 18. In British pubs, you have to be 18 to drink, but 21 in America.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 03/07/05 at 6:38 am

I am dubiously hopeful that it may occur sometime after 46, but I doubt it... :)

;D

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 03/07/05 at 6:39 am

18 where I live

And I don't think that is too low, I just wish the would RAISE the legal age to drive.... ::)

Written By: sputnikcorp on 03/07/05 at 8:08 am

18 here in canada.

myself i'm 33 but yet i love playing games that appeals to mostly teenagers. i'm very odd and act like i'm 18 most of the time. i reel against the thought of "growing up", i see people my age being very adult and dead boring. i have a child and i work and i experianced pain and hardship that all adults go through yet i refuse to let it get to me. i guess i'll never be an "adult"

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/07/05 at 12:42 pm

18 here in canada.

myself i'm 33 but yet i love playing games that appeals to mostly teenagers. i'm very odd and act like i'm 18 most of the time. i reel against the thought of "growing up", i see people my age being very adult and dead boring. i have a child and i work and i experianced pain and hardship that all adults go through yet i refuse to let it get to me. i guess i'll never be an "adult"

Good attitude  :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/10/05 at 8:13 am

Legally 18/21, but I personally voted for 24.

I think mid 20's sounds about right to me, as far as mentally. It does vary per person all the time, obviously, but I think today you'll see people that act "teen"ish a little longer than you would, say 30 or 40 years ago. People also tend to look younger now.

18 here in canada.

Hey dude, thanks for sayin' that - makes the thought of getting older myself sound alot easier! :)

I'm 23 and largely the same way. It's ironic because on one hand, people have always told me I was a good thinker and smart, etc. so I think I'm maybe beyond my years there. On the other end of the spectrum though, I don't truly act or "feel" any older than I did at 12 or 15, etc. (it's a bit weird because sometimes I feel like I should start to, but it never comes, LOL!).

Written By: jackas on 03/10/05 at 8:24 am

Hey dude, thanks for sayin' that - makes the thought of getting older myself sound alot easier! :)

I'm 23 and largely the same way. It's ironic because on one hand, people have always told me I was a good thinker and smart, etc. so I think I'm maybe beyond my years there. On the other end of the spectrum though, I don't truly act or "feel" any older than I did at 12 or 15, etc. (it's a bit weird because sometimes I feel like I should start to, but it never comes, LOL!).

It's funny you say that because as I started to get older I used to wonder when I was going to stop with all the jackassery and start acting like my Mom did while I was growing up.  You know, be serious.  Well, it never happened.  I'm 31 and still have the mind set of a 15 year old.  I still laugh at d!ck jokes and feel like rolling my eyes when I hear people my age having conversations that are too serious and boring.  Sure I can be serious if I feel it's not appropriate to screw around, but I don't prefere to.

Written By: karen on 03/10/05 at 8:40 am

I thikn it varies from person to person and some people never get a completely mature attitude to things.

In lots of ways I think I still feel about 16/18.  I see clothes in shops and think that they are too old for me because I perceive them as being something people in their 20's wear!

Check for new replies or respond here...