inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Differences between parts of the country/world

Written By: ADH13 on 03/09/05 at 1:13 pm

Have you moved in your life from one part of the country or world to another?  What differences have you noticed?

In New York a purse was called a pocketbook. In CA it is always called a purse.

In New York trucks used to come around for everything.  There were many ice cream trucks, trucks that sold hot pizza by the slice, trucks that sharpened knives, even trucks that had kiddie rides on them.  It cost $2 to get on the ride and then after the ride was over they would give you one of those otter pops.

In New York we used to have block parties every year.  I have never seen one here.

New York has Japanese Beetles, CA does not. (but we have enough snails to make up for it)

In New York, dragonflies were called "dining needles" and "darning needles"

When I first moved to CA in 1984 nobody knew what a biali, knish, calzone or cannoli was.
I didn't know what a burrito was.

In CA we don't have the "Drakes" brand.  No Devil Dogs, Yankee Doodles, Yodels.

Californians don't know how to make pizza.

In New York, "coffee regular" has sugar and milk.  New Yorkers also put milk in their tea.

Subject: Re: Differences between parts of the country/world

Written By: Paul on 03/09/05 at 1:47 pm

I'm only going by what I've heard (so someone can put me right if needs must...), but over in Australia, the word 'durex' is/was the brand name of a sticky tape...

Over in Britain, the self-same word is a brand name of condom...

Very painful if you were to get the two mixed up...!

(And then I wonder why my envelopes don't stick...!!)

Written By: Alchoholica on 03/09/05 at 1:55 pm

I'm only going by what I've heard (so someone can put me right if needs must...), but over in Australia, the word 'durex' is/was the brand name of a sticky tape...

wow creepy. I read that exact chapter of the jasper Carrot book 'sweet n sour laborador' on the toilet about 30 mins ago. He tells a similar story, about how they ask for a roll of durex ;D

Written By: Paul on 03/09/05 at 2:07 pm

I read that exact chapter of the jasper Carrot book 'sweet n sour laborador' on the toilet about 30 mins ago. He tells a similar story, about how they ask for a roll of durex ;D

And that's probably where I've heard it from...

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 03/09/05 at 3:00 pm

There is a type of footwear that on the U.S. mainland is called 'thongs'...on Guam (where I grew up) is called 'zorries'...and in Hawaii (where I am now) is called 'slippers' (or in Pigeon English 'slip-uhs').  ;D

Written By: NullandVoid on 03/09/05 at 5:21 pm

In New York a purse was called a pocketbook. In CA it is always called a purse.

In New York trucks used to come around for everything.  There were many ice cream trucks, trucks that sold hot pizza by the slice, trucks that sharpened knives, even trucks that had kiddie rides on them.  It cost $2 to get on the ride and then after the ride was over they would give you one of those otter pops.

In New York, dragonflies were called "dining needles" and "darning needles"

Wow you just took me back to my childhood with those Otter pops. I remember the ride that used to come around block was this rockable boat shaped thing on the back of a truck. It used to be pushed by a big guy who would then hand us otter pops when the ride was finished!

As far as the Dragonflies, around here we would call them "Diamond Needles", We would also use that term to describe those big ugly misquitoes that would always show up around mid-august. I also remember this kid that I knew trying to convince me that Diamonds actually were the dried up spit of these bugs. :)

Written By: danootaandme on 03/09/05 at 5:29 pm

There is a type of footwear that on the U.S. mainland is called 'thongs'...on Guam (where I grew up) is called 'zorries'...and in Hawaii (where I am now) is called 'slippers' (or in Pigeon English 'slip-uhs').  ;D

Here is Massachusetts we call them flip-flops

Written By: ADH13 on 03/09/05 at 5:37 pm

Wow you just took me back to my childhood with those Otter pops. I remember the ride that used to come around block was this rockable boat shaped thing on the back of a truck. It used to be pushed by a big guy who would then hand us otter pops when the ride was finished!

As far as the Dragonflies, around here we would call them "Diamond Needles", We would also use that term to describe those big ugly misquitoes that would always show up around mid-august. I also remember this kid that I knew trying to convince me that Diamonds actually were the dried up spit of these bugs. :)

Just curious.. are you in New York?  I've never heard of those rides anywhere else.  We had that "boat" one too, I think it was called "Half Moon" and we also had one called "Whip It" which were little cars on an oval track that would go real slow on the straight parts of the track but whip around the ends real fast.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/09/05 at 5:43 pm

In California soda is called soda. In Montana it's called "pop".  In 2001-2005 Oregon, Rap is all that.  In 1998-2001 Montana it was about Numetal.  Country is despised by Oregon and Montana youth, although the older folks like it.  Oregon also has a lot more people although we're still an isolated state. 

Californians also seem to speak faster and use the word "like" more than further North and east.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/09/05 at 11:15 pm

well i know that here in Pennsylvania...people call soft drinks (ex. pepsi, coke, sprite, etc)  "pop". We went to Boston one time and asked for a pop and they were like, "what do you want..a popcicle"? They simply call it soda.

Erin :)

Written By: ADH13 on 03/09/05 at 11:56 pm

One more thing I remembered.. in New York at the bus stops there are/were signs that say "No Standing", usually posted right next to a bench.  It's kind of dumb because someone who is from another place would take it to mean you can't stand up and wait for the bus, you have to sit down.

It actually means the same thing as "No Stopping" here in CA

Written By: jaytee on 03/10/05 at 12:38 am

I remember my boss going to the US and there was a brand of condom called Four X.  In Queensland we have XXXX beer and the jingle went "I can feel a XXXX coming on, I can feel a XXXX coming on, got the taste for it, just can't wait for it .........."  Said he got some interesting looks when singing the jingle.

Written By: Davester on 03/10/05 at 4:21 am

You're the only other person I've heard refer to sandals as zoris.  My Ex, who is Japanese, referred to any type/style of sandal as zoris.  I never knew that was actually what they were called in Japanese...

Learn something every day, doncha..?

Anyway,  I've always known the three meals of the day, here in California, as "Breakfast", "Lunch" and "Dinner".  In Illinois, where I lived briefly the meals are "Breakfast", "Dinner" and "Supper"...

Written By: danootaandme on 03/10/05 at 5:24 am

well i know that here in Pennsylvania...people call soft drinks (ex. pepsi, coke, sprite, etc)  "pop". We went to Boston one time and asked for a pop and they were like, "what do you want..a popcicle"? They simply call it soda.

Erin :)

You will find that older New Englanders will call soda "tonic".  It always caused confusion because tonic everywhere else was used to refer to medicine so we had to retrain ourselves to say soda

Written By: ADH13 on 03/13/05 at 12:15 am

One more thing... the new york area had amusement parks galore... off the top of my head after not being there for 21 years, I can remember Action Park, Great Adventure, Hershey Park, Sesame Place, Nelly Bly, Coney Island and South Beach? <not sure on that name>
within an hour or so from our house... and they STILL had rides coming around on trucks.. I can't believe Nullandvoid remembered that...  I've never heard of that anywhere but NY

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 03/13/05 at 12:33 am

I remember my boss going to the US and there was a brand of condom called Four X.  In Queensland we have XXXX beer and the jingle went "I can feel a XXXX coming on, I can feel a XXXX coming on, got the taste for it, just can't wait for it .........."  Said he got some interesting looks when singing the jingle.

ROFL!  ;D

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/13/05 at 1:19 am

In the south, soda is called coke. Regardless of whether its actually Coca Cola or not.

We have sweet tea or unsweet tea. Sweet tea is sweetened while its made. In the rest of the country they call it ice tea and they add the sugar AFTER the tea has already been made(I think).

Also, I'm not sure if this is a purely southern term or not(I've only been out of the south once, and it was out west not up north, i've never been north of the mason-dixon), but an older and more 'country' term for pants is "droors"(pronounced just like its spelled). ;D

Written By: NullandVoid on 03/13/05 at 1:23 am

Just curious.. are you in New York?  I've never heard of those rides anywhere else.  We had that "boat" one too, I think it was called "Half Moon" and we also had one called "Whip It" which were little cars on an oval track that would go real slow on the straight parts of the track but whip around the ends real fast.

Yeah I'm a New Yorker born and raised. I don't think I could ever officially move from here.
What made you leave??

Written By: ADH13 on 03/13/05 at 1:38 am

Yeah I'm a New Yorker born and raised. I don't think I could ever officially move from here.
What made you leave??

Didn't have much choice... parents divorced, mom brought me here where her family was...

Written By: ADH13 on 03/13/05 at 1:42 am

Another thing I remember from NY that Ive never heard on the west coast...

Here in CA we call our parents like MOM!  DAD!!

In New York we used to say MA!!  DAAA!!

Written By: whistledog on 01/04/07 at 3:40 am

Saw a guest viewing this, so I thought i'd bump it :D

In Canada ...

A winter hat is called a Toque (sometimes spelled Touque or Tuque)
A Corn Dog is called a Pogo
A Couch or a Sofa is called a Chesterfield
A Candy Bar is called a Chocolate Bar
Whole Milk is called Homo Milk.  No, it doesn't mean that Gays drink it :D
ATM ("Automated Teller Machine") is an ABM ("Automated Banking Machine", NOT "A Bowel Movement"; Though in many parts of Ontario, ATM is also used)
A coffee with two creams and two sugars is called a "Double-double"
A Dollar is often called a "Buck"

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/04/07 at 3:40 am

They call a dollar a "buck" here in the states. 

Written By: Gis on 01/04/07 at 4:58 am

Well I do remember an American collegue telling us his suspenders wern't on right and were really uncomfortable and we all fell about laughing. We finally established what he called 'suspenders' we call 'braces' and were holding up his trousers. In the U.K suspenders hold up ladies stockings!

Of course there is the 'fag' for a cigerette 
Crisps for chips
pavement for sidewalk
boot for trunk on a car

Written By: La Roche on 01/04/07 at 7:07 am

Of course there is the 'fag' for a cigerette 

Yeah try buying a pack of smokes in Georiga.

"Can I have a pack of fags pal?"
'You trynah make a joke or sumthun boy?"

Written By: lorac61469 on 01/04/07 at 8:58 am

Here in Virginia...

Soda is pop
License plates are tags
Vehicle is used instead of saying car or truck.  "Get in the vehicle" or "Where's your vehicle parked".
Ink pen instead of just saying pen.
Gettings asked for an ID at a bar is called Carded (in NY where I grew up we always said I.D.ed)
Sneakers are tennis shoes.

Written By: Tia on 01/04/07 at 8:59 am

as a virginian -- those are all basically true.

does anybody live in los angeles? i'm thinking i need to move to los angeles.

Written By: KKay on 01/04/07 at 10:32 am

Here in Virginia...

Vehicle is used instead of saying car or truck.  "Get in the vehicle" or "Where's your vehicle parked".

That sounds very military.  and inkpen is just redundant.

no one will be able to understand me there. i'll never get the lingo down!

Written By: Tia on 01/04/07 at 10:36 am

i actually thought that about the vehicle bit. or more, law enforcement. as in, "ma'am please step out of the vehicle."

Written By: Gis on 01/04/07 at 10:39 am

i actually thought that about the vehicle bit. or more, law enforcement. as in, "ma'am please step out of the vehicle."
So, do you get called ma'am often? ???

Written By: lorac61469 on 01/04/07 at 10:40 am

Yes I agree, military or law enforcement.

I guess it's kind like me saying a "tuna fish sandwich".  

I've been here 17 years and people still ask me "Where are you from?".

Written By: Tia on 01/04/07 at 10:42 am

So, do you get called ma'am often? ???
outside of the internet it's quite rare.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/04/07 at 10:44 am

In Salt Lake City, all of the streets are numbered instead of named.  Everything revolves around the Mormon temple in a grid, so addresses are all the number of blocks away from the temple the place is.  Like, my friend's address is something like 12400 South, 1950 West, which means she lives 12,400 blocks south of the temple and 1950 blocks west of it.

Also, in Utah, people don't pronounce the letter "T."  A mountain is a "moun-en," and button is a "bu'en" and the city of Layton is pronounced "Lay'en."  

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/nixweiss.gif

Yes I agree, military or law enforcement.

I guess it's kind like me saying a "tuna fish sandwich".  

I've been here 17 years and people still ask me "Where are you from?".

Isn't that what it's called?  What do they call it?

Written By: lorac61469 on 01/04/07 at 10:48 am

In Salt Lake City, all of the streets are numbered instead of named.  Everything revolves around the Mormon temple in a grid, so addresses are all the number of blocks away from the temple the place is.  Like, my friend's address is something like 12400 South, 1950 West, which means she lives 12,400 blocks south of the temple and 1950 blocks west of it.

Also, in Utah, people don't pronounce the letter "T."  A mountain is a "moun-en," and button is a "bu'en" and the city of Layton is pronounced "Lay'en."  

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/nixweiss.gif

Isn't that what it's called?  What do they call it?

Just tuna.  My husband asks me why I have to say tuna fish, it's not like we say shrimp crustaceans or steak cow.  ::)

He just like to make fun of me. 

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/04/07 at 11:01 am

Just tuna.  My husband asks me why I have to say tuna fish, it's not like we say shrimp crustaceans or steak cow.  ::)

That's funny!  I've always said tuna fish too, but never thought about it before. 

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 01/04/07 at 11:02 am

My father-in-law says 'puppy dog' instead of just 'puppy'...

...and we all know a puppy is a dog!  ::) ;D

He also insists on calling 'pizza' a 'pizza pie'...which, for some reason, bothers me!

Written By: lorac61469 on 01/04/07 at 11:07 am

He also insists on calling 'pizza' a 'pizza pie'...which, for some reason, bothers me!

Does he say kitty-cat too?  :)

Growing up in NY, we always called pizza "pie" as in "I'd like a large pie with meatballs and sausage".  When I moved to Virginia people looked at me like I was crazy if I said that, pie is for dessert.

Written By: Gis on 01/04/07 at 11:10 am

I do say 'moo cow' instead of just 'cow' but that's just me and my Mum I think.  ;D

Written By: lorac61469 on 01/04/07 at 11:11 am

I do say 'moo cow' instead of just 'cow' but that's just me and my Mum I think.  ;D

And my son...but he's 3.  :D

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 01/04/07 at 11:18 am

Does he say kitty-cat too?   :)

Probably...but he doesn't like cats so he rarely mentions them!

Growing up in NY, we always called pizza "pie" as in "I'd like a large pie with meatballs and sausage".  When I moved to Virginia people looked at me like I was crazy if I said that, pie is for dessert.

I think it's fine to say one or the other, but putting 'pizza pie' together is just weird to me!

Written By: Gis on 01/04/07 at 11:19 am

And my son...but he's 3.   :D
I never grew out of it I guess. ;D
There was this one time my firend and I were on a bus going to London and I saw a field of sheep and lambs. Without thinking I went 'look at all the lambsies' sadly I said it louder than I thought I had and was very embarassed that everyone was starring at me in a 'who is this loon?' way, however *everyone* looked out of the window at the 'lambsies' first, before then turning to look at me. ;D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/04/07 at 11:19 am

My husband says "counch" instead of "couch."  It's not a regional thing - he's just weird.    ::)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/04/07 at 11:19 am

There was this one time my firend and I were on a bus going to London and I saw a field of sheep and lambs. Without thinking I went 'look at all the lambsies' sadly I said it louder than I thought I had and was very embarassed that everyone was starring at me in a 'who is this loon?' way, however *everyone* looked out of the window at the 'lambsies' first, before then turning to look at me. ;D

;D

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 01/04/07 at 11:26 am

That's funny!  ;D

Written By: karen on 01/04/07 at 11:37 am

This is why you need to have a small child nearby.  You can get away with so much more then!

Written By: whistledog on 01/04/07 at 2:13 pm

Here's another one.

In Canada, we refer to Sneakers as Runners.  They probably do this in other countries too?

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/04/07 at 2:14 pm

Here's another one.

In Canada, we refer to Sneakers as Runners.  They probably do this in other countries too?

I've heard them called "Tennie Runners."  Which is kind of strange...

Check for new replies or respond here...