inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How long have you been online?

Written By: ADH13 on 03/11/05 at 5:27 pm

Are there any others like me?  I started getting "online" in about 1985 in the days of 300 baud acoustic modems.  (It was a device with two holes and you would pick up the phone from the receiver and shove the earpiece and mouthpiece into the holes)

I used to call local bbs's where only one person could logon at a time.. then in the late 80's multi-user local bbs's started appearing, where, say 6 or 7 people could be on at the same time and chat with each other.

Next, a local bbs in our area could "link" to a local bbs in another state, so you could chat with people who were signed on to both.

Subject: Re: How long have you been online?

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/11/05 at 5:29 pm

I came aboard in 2000. And I didn't know that the internet has been around since the 80s, I knew it was invented in the 60s but I thought that it didn't become publicly available until the 90s. Well, um, when did it become the world wide web?

Written By: Bobby on 03/11/05 at 5:39 pm

I started using the net in 2001, but for personal use started in 2002.

Written By: ADH13 on 03/11/05 at 5:41 pm

Well, the term "internet" refers to the online world as we know it today..

Back in the day, there was no yahoo, no aol, etc...  someone would just set up a computer in their house, program a simple board on it for people to dial up, and you could post messages, read messages, sometimes play online games, there were user profiles, you could download and upload files... those were the earliest ones.  but only one person could call in at a time.. and it was called a bbs for "bulletin board system"

Written By: Alchoholica on 03/11/05 at 5:47 pm

So when did the Military Start it, it was Arpanet wasn't it, that they used that kicked it all off?

I got logged on in.. ohhh.. about '98 i would guess.
So a fair while.. but i have only used it a lot in the past 2 years.

Written By: whitewolf on 03/11/05 at 5:53 pm

first time i ever got online was in 96 for University projects, Had no idea what i was doing with it  ;D

got online for personal use in 2003. been on ever since.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/11/05 at 9:26 pm

I discovered KKTV Free E-mail back in 1996. It was kinda like this...you posted a message to someone and waited for thier reply...not nearly as fast though and not really e-mail. I joined this wonderful place in January 2002

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/11/05 at 9:27 pm

Since I was 8 years old in 1995, 10 years now. I just got a new computer and it came with a 14.4 K supra external modem, and we got eWorld, which was Apple computer's old online service, I still remember the password, lol, after that closed down it switched over to aol.

Written By: pimpinsteelersfan on 03/11/05 at 10:08 pm

i started in 1999

Written By: Apricot on 03/11/05 at 10:10 pm

Just 2 years ago. Maybe less, like 1 and 1/2. It's crazy, now I use it all the time.

I used it before then, but mostly just for research here or there.

Written By: jackas on 03/11/05 at 10:27 pm

I started using it in 1996.  I remember back in the late 80s early 90s (can't remember) we had something called Prodigy.  I couldn't really figure out how to use it for many things.  I'm thinking that it wasn't very user friendly compared to todays internet.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/11/05 at 10:29 pm

I started using it in 1996.  I remember back in the late 80s early 90s (can't remember) we had something called Prodigy.  I couldn't really figure out how to use it for many things.  I'm thinking that it wasn't very user friendly compared to todays internet.

I had prodigy for a while as well.

Written By: jackas on 03/11/05 at 10:30 pm

I had prodigy for a while as well.

Exactly what the hell was that?  Did it suck like I remember?

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/11/05 at 10:34 pm

Exactly what the hell was that?  Did it suck like I remember?

It was an online service provider like AOL. It was slow and unreliable like any other dialup service. They are no longer around I believe, SBC took them over.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/11/05 at 11:49 pm

around 1997

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/12/05 at 1:13 am

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 03/12/05 at 2:45 am

i started in 1999

Ditto!  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/12/05 at 3:00 am

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 03/12/05 at 4:33 am

I have a couple of friends that were online daily from 1993 but I was lagging behind them ! I didnt get a puter till dad sent me $1000 for my 30th birthday in 1998 and told me it was time to get one !!

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/12/05 at 4:39 am

Too long!

Written By: danootaandme on 03/12/05 at 7:08 am

1994, and still don't know how to manage all this stuff ???

Written By: jiminy on 03/12/05 at 7:22 am

early 1996 before that I played video games on an AMIGA computer

Written By: Howard on 03/12/05 at 6:42 pm

August of 1998

Howard

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/12/05 at 7:34 pm

Anyone remember Windows 3.1 ::)

Written By: EthanM on 03/12/05 at 7:49 pm

It was finally allowed in my house in 1998, which was a while after most people in my school at the time. I think i read a lot more before that.

Written By: NullandVoid on 03/13/05 at 12:11 am

I discovered AOL sometime around '94

Written By: jiminy on 03/13/05 at 12:14 am

16 hours today  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/13/05 at 4:45 am

16 hours today  ;D
That is more than me

Written By: Alchoholica on 03/13/05 at 4:47 am

16 hours today  ;D

You lazy git.

Yesterday (and i was ill) i was online a total ooooff... 7 hours. Jeeezuz, that's am lot.

But i wasn't up to going out, so from like 8-11 i just parked my arse in front of the computer.

Written By: Davester on 03/13/05 at 4:59 am

Since 1999...the WebTV days...

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/13/05 at 5:00 am

Since 1999...the WebTV days...
I hope it has not been continuous since 1999?

Written By: jiminy on 03/13/05 at 5:01 am

That is more than me
I had all three meals at the PC, I just need to install a toilet   ;D

Written By: Alchoholica on 03/13/05 at 5:03 am

I had all three meals at the PC, I just need to install a toilet  ;D

:-[ Same here.. i have used the PC A lot more ever since i abandoned TV.

Written By: Davester on 03/13/05 at 5:04 am

I hope it has not been continuous since 1999?

Actually, yes...my body has fused with and become one with the 'puter chair...sort of like the obese woman with her couch which was recently in the news... :P

Written By: jiminy on 03/13/05 at 5:11 am

:-I use my TV once a week for 24 and for baseball in the summer

Written By: Alchoholica on 03/13/05 at 5:13 am

I use my TV once a week for 24 and for baseball in the summer

That's about as much as i use it now. I watch a lot of stuff on the computer, i download all the wrestling i watch (ever since we got rid of cable) and i sometimes download things like Chappelle's show and SNL.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/13/05 at 5:16 am

I use my TV once a week for 24 and for baseball in the summer
I have practically given up TV!

Written By: jiminy on 03/13/05 at 5:17 am

That's about as much as i use it now. I watch a lot of stuff on the computer, i download all the wrestling i watch (ever since we got rid of cable) and i sometimes download things like Chappelle's show and SNL.
I download every Family Guy episode and then for Christmas I got bith box sets  :D

Written By: Alchoholica on 03/13/05 at 5:19 am

I download every Family Guy episode and then for Christmas I got bith box sets  :D

LOL

Yeah i own every Family Guy episode, i can't wait for the new ones to come out.

The only annoying thing is that i will have to make sure i get a DVD player that plays Multi-Region DVD's once i get to the states, i have like 100 English DVD's and I AM NOT! leaving them behind

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/13/05 at 5:20 am

LOL

The only annoying thing is that i will have to make sure i get a DVD player that plays Multi-Region DVD's once i get to the states, i have like 100 English DVD's and I AM NOT! leaving them behind
Why not watch your DVDs on your laptop connected to the television?

Written By: jiminy on 03/13/05 at 5:23 am

LOL

The extras were funny on the DVDs, listening to Seth Macfarlane and the cast talking during some of the episodes

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 03/13/05 at 5:24 am

I first used the internet in 1996 (the horror) but didn't become a regular 'til around 99-00

Written By: jiminy on 03/13/05 at 5:31 am

I had Earthlink and AOL early in 1996, AOL had a flat fee, I think it was $19.99 for 40 hours a month and if you went over you paid by the  minute, I dropped AOL, the bills got to high, Earthlink was one of the first I found that went to a flat monthly fee for unlimited use

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/13/05 at 6:06 am

I had Earthlink and AOL early in 1996, AOL had a flat fee, I think it was $19.99 for 40 hours a month and if you went over you paid by the  minute, I dropped AOL, the bills got to high, Earthlink was one of the first I found that went to a flat monthly fee for unlimited use
When I first started out on the Net, I had AOL, that was a flat monthly fee with unlimited use.

Written By: nally on 03/13/05 at 11:23 am

I started using the Net in 1998, although I didn't register for an email account until January of 1999. We didn't get online at home until we moved to our new house in February of 2001.

My dad has been online since July 1998; my mom didn't get online until September 1999 (more specifically, on 9/9/99).

Written By: Alchoholica on 03/13/05 at 11:26 am

I remember our first connection was with AOL.

Oh god how AOL were bad. It was a flat rate for so many mins (much like Jiminy said)

We switched to Freeserve in 99 i think and stayed with them for a while, it was like 1p per min so as long as you just used it for what you needed to it never really cost much. We got that deal because my dad runs his own business and tricked them in to thinking it would be used all the time  ;D

We had NTL hooked up in 2002.. hmm.. they were never 'bad' and never good, however as a company NTL ARE A BUNCH OF BASTARD, NEVER DEAL WITH THEM!!

I sorted out the BT Internet hookup about 4 months ago and they are fabulous, they are giving me a 2MB DSL Connection for free, i am currently on 512KB and that is freakin fast so you can imagine how chuffed i am.

Check for new replies or respond here...