inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: New threads...

Written By: ADH13 on 03/13/05 at 12:56 am

I brought this up because the other day someone was complaining about members posting too many new threads at a time...

I thought it was kind of interesting because that same day I was looking at a thread in the 80's forum which seemed to imply that the "inthe80's" was losing interest... because people weren't posting enough...

I was just curious as to what you guys think is a good range of new threads to be started per day, per week, however you want to figure it...  How many new threads is enough to keep it going and add variety without being annoying?

I know many will think it depends on whether the threads are interesting or not, but that's kind of useless to those who want to post, because what is interesting to one may be boring to another...

Subject: Re: New threads...

Written By: ADH13 on 03/13/05 at 1:03 am

My answer, by the way, is that I don't really think there can be too many new threads... If I'm not interested in a certain thread, I just won't read it...

But, I would just say I prefer original ideas/questions...  The "pet peeves", "i hate it when", "I don't like" and "let out your frustrations" to me should be all one thread...  and I think when a thread starts to go off topic, it is good to start a new thread with the new topic so that people can continue the original topic on the old one...

Just my opinions =)

Written By: Davester on 03/13/05 at 4:45 am

Nothing wrong with new threads.  Before creating one, however, one should use the search feature...there's bound to be at least a dozen threads based on the same topic...if you can't find a similar thread using search then go ahead and create your new thread...

It's the same topics overandoverandoverandoverandoverad infinitum that bogs the place down, IMO..

Nearly every aspect of 80's pop culture has been re-revisited, examined, analysed, dissected, scrutinized, considered, debated, investigated, studied, thought-through and discussed.  Personally, I find the stories and anecdotes of the members who've lived through the particullar decade to be the best read, but that's neither here, nor there...

I mean, there's only so many "Who's Better Dokken or Huey Lewis" or "Wild & Wacky 80's Hair Styles" threads one can scroll-through without one's eyes glazing-over while reaching for one's drool bib...

All is In My Opinion, naturally...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/13/05 at 1:25 pm

Nothing wrong with new threads.  Before creating one, however, one should use the search feature...there's bound to be at least a dozen threads based on the same topic...if you can't find a similar thread using search then go ahead and create your new thread...

It's the same topics overandoverandoverandoverandoverad infinitum that bogs the place down, IMO..

Nearly every aspect of 80's pop culture has been re-revisited, examined, analysed, dissected, scrutinized, considered, debated, investigated, studied, thought-through and discussed.  Personally, I find the stories and anecdotes of the members who've lived through the particullar decade to be the best read, but that's neither here, nor there...

I mean, there's only so many "Who's Better Dokken or Huey Lewis" or "Wild & Wacky 80's Hair Styles" threads one can scroll-through without one's eyes glazing-over while reaching for one's drool bib...

All is In My Opinion, naturally...

I agree with you on that. Sometimes the same topic does come up many, many times. Also, I think that some people post new threads just to post new threads. If they think it may be an interesting topic to some people and may generate a lively discussion, I don't mind those. But some of topics are a bit limited (Like the "Who is better" threads ) and after a while, those get very annoying. I also noticed that a lot of the threads in the PPP are turning into b.s. threads. I don't mind a few of them (like "The Longest Thread") but some people are turning other threads into b.s. threads, too. And I want everyone to know that I am NOT directing these comments at any one in particular.

Ok, that is my 2 cents worth. You can all throw your rotten vegetables at me while I duck and hide from the flying debray.

Cat

Written By: Jennifer028 on 03/13/05 at 3:32 pm

I actully like new threads and I think this section desperatly needs new ones.

All I see being posted on everyday are the same old ones like "the person above me", feel great good news", "What are you going to do today" etc....

We need new threads!!!    :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/14/05 at 12:22 am

I agree.....I mean how long must some threads be continued??? Some of them have like hundreds of posts......and we have all posted and reposted...and etc...on the same ones numerous times....I feel that the whole point of message boards is to keep up with interesting and lively topics so that we can all put our thoughts out and let each other know more about one another. I would most definitely like to see new ones, that make you think or spark interests, rather than seeing the same old ones over and over again.

Erin :)

Written By: karen on 03/14/05 at 4:02 am

some of the threads that have a lot of posts are ways of letting board members tell everyone what is going on in their lives.  This is an important part of the 'community' feel that we have here, I think.

I tend not to read threads about "who is better" and "when did the 80's stop feeling like the 70s" or whatever.  They are not interesting to me personally.  Too many of this similar type of thread makes the boards boring IMHO.

Written By: gemini61 on 03/14/05 at 4:23 am

some of the threads that have a lot of posts are ways of letting board members tell everyone what is going on in their lives.  This is an important part of the 'community' feel that we have here, I think.

I agree with you Karen. I like the "what did or are you ....." thread and "how do you feel" thread, but some people go to extremes. Alot of the posts would do better in a PM to another member. As some are getting a little too much into their sex personal lives.  ;) 

Written By: Bobby on 03/14/05 at 5:00 am

I agree with you Karen. I like the "what did or are you ....." thread and "how do you feel" thread, but some people go to extremes. Alot of the posts would do better in a PM to another member. As some are getting a little too much into their sex personal lives.  ;) 

I understand, Rhonda. It was a laugh to start with (being a bit cheeky/naughty is better than being downright filthy IMO). Without sounding too much like a party-pooper, it's getting a bit oppressive now.  ::)

Written By: gemini61 on 03/14/05 at 5:20 am

I understand, Rhonda. It was a laugh to start with (being a bit cheeky/naughty is better than being downright filthy IMO). Without sounding too much like a party-pooper, it's getting a bit oppressive now.  ::)

:)

Written By: Howard on 03/14/05 at 6:24 pm

I like new threads.They're kind of refreshing. :)

Howard

Written By: ADH13 on 03/14/05 at 11:17 pm

I like new threads.They're kind of refreshing. :)

Howard

I think Marty McFly does too - I noticed he's been diggin' old threads out of the basement tonight... ;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/14/05 at 11:27 pm

I tend not to read threads about "who is better" and "when did the 80's stop feeling like the 70s" or whatever.  They are not interesting to me personally.  Too many of this similar type of thread makes the boards boring IMHO.
I realize that why not everybody feels great everyday....some people DO! That is why I countered the "Feel Any Way" with My "Feel God, Great News" thread. For as much sadness that I've experienced with Blaines death and my life in general....the support of many wonderful people here inspired me to create a good feeling thread.....As for "Duplicate" threads...I can't stand them but am coming to realize that skimming through hundreds of pages to make sure you're not creating one, really sucks....

Written By: Davester on 03/15/05 at 3:41 am

t am coming to realize that skimming through hundreds of pages to make sure you're not creating one, really sucks....

That's why I suggested using the board's search feature...

Maybe not everyone knows how to use this feature, maybe it's too much work...*shrugs*

Written By: ADH13 on 03/15/05 at 12:35 pm

That's why I suggested using the board's search feature...

Maybe not everyone knows how to use this feature, maybe it's too much work...*shrugs*

Well, it's not quite that simple in all cases, Davester... I was looking to see if anyone had created a favorite candy thread... I searched "candy"  Keep in mind there are songs called Candy Man, Candy Girl, Candy, movie called Candy Man, actor named John Candy, kids game called Candyland, the phrase "eye candy", so I had to search quite a few pages...

Written By: Apricot on 03/15/05 at 2:18 pm

Well, I know that it gets annoying. I prefer 5-6 permanent, always useful {like a "Talk About Your Day" or "What Are You Listening To?" or "Last Movie You Saw, And What'd You Think?"} threads always close to the top. I don't like when 8-9 discussions, polls, or brief-lived threads {Like "Which is Worse:", "What Should Happen" "Do You Believe", and things like that. Even when it's not just a poll, too many different discussions in the same day get annoying.}

I'd be cool if one or two new threads were coming about a day, running their course and leaving. I wouldn't enjoy that many, but I could live with a few new ones every day. But I've seen nights where every HOUR or 30 minutes, someone's posted a new one. I don't like that. It bumps the larger, more frequently used, more permanent threads further back when everyone gets into a discussion that goes away in a week anyway.

Written By: Davester on 03/15/05 at 2:45 pm

Well, it's not quite that simple in all cases, Davester... I was looking to see if anyone had created a favorite candy thread... I searched "candy"   Keep in mind there are songs called Candy Man, Candy Girl, Candy, movie called Candy Man, actor named John Candy, kids game called Candyland, the phrase "eye candy", so I had to search quite a few pages...

Actually it is quite simple, ADH13.  This is what I meant about not all members not knowing how to use a typical search feature...

I searched with the word "candy" (without quotation marks) and received umpteen gazillion hits.  I then searched using the term "favorite candy" (with quotation marks) and received not a single hit.  Then I tested the search by searching for a known thread using the term "Yummy Mummy CANDY" (with quotation marks) and the single result was the "Looking for complete Yummy Mummy CANDY, not cereal" thread...

Here's a nifty search engine tutorial Search Engine Tutorial

Written By: Apricot on 03/15/05 at 3:39 pm

I had a bit of trouble with that. I'mma try again here.

Written By: ADH13 on 03/15/05 at 3:54 pm

Actually it is quite simple, ADH13.  This is what I meant about not all members not knowing how to use a typical search feature...

I searched with the word "candy" (without quotation marks) and received umpteen gazillion hits.  I then searched using the term "favorite candy" (with quotation marks) and received not a single hit.  Then I tested the search by searching for a known thread using the term "Yummy Mummy CANDY" (with quotation marks) and the single result was the "Looking for complete Yummy Mummy CANDY, not cereal" thread...

Here's a nifty search engine tutorial Search Engine Tutorial

Sure, I could have searched "favorite candy", seen no hits and made a new thread... only to find there was another thread "What was the best candy you ever ate?"

Written By: Davester on 03/16/05 at 3:47 am

Sure, I could have searched "favorite candy", seen no hits and made a new thread... only to find there was another thread "What was the best candy you ever ate?"

Ugh...

We can go round and round with this all week...

My point was simply to suggest members make some attempt to locate a similar thread as to not add to the redundant topics, that's all.  In your scenario above, hey, if you miss one you miss one, no worries...I think you know what I mean...

This board is actually very lenient when it comes to redundant threads...post a redundant thread in the boards I frequent and you take a beating about the head and shoulders with rubber chickens...

Anyhoo, I don't recall formally welcoming you to Decades...Welcome to Decades Messageboard, ADH13!  I hope you enjoy your stay...  8)

Written By: ADH13 on 03/16/05 at 3:24 pm

Ugh...

We can go round and round with this all week...

My point was simply to suggest members make some attempt to locate a similar thread as to not add to the redundant topics, that's all.  In your scenario above, hey, if you miss one you miss one, no worries...I think you know what I mean...

This board is actually very lenient when it comes to redundant threads...post a redundant thread in the boards I frequent and you take a beating about the head and shoulders with rubber chickens...

Anyhoo, I don't recall formally welcoming you to Decades...Welcome to Decades Messageboard, ADH13!  I hope you enjoy your stay...  8)

hey now, I wasn't trying to be difficult.  :)  I usually go back about 10 pages and if I don't see anything related to what I was planning to post, I post it.  I just don't like to see too many duplicates around at the same time

Written By: gemini61 on 03/16/05 at 5:11 pm

Looks like the "New Threads" thread worked, 'cause we're drowning in new threads now!  ;D  And as Martha would say "It's A Good Thing"  ;) 

Written By: Davester on 03/17/05 at 4:05 am

Looks like the "New Threads" thread worked, 'cause we're drowning in new threads now!  ;D  And as Martha would say "It's A Good Thing"  ;) 

brilliant... ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...