inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Penguin Quizzes

Written By: jaytee on 03/17/05 at 10:22 pm

I think it's interesting the some of the people who set quizzes like to get them all finalised as quickly as possible.  I found this messageboard while looking for some song lyrics.  One thing lead to another and I started looking at the quizzes and in particular the ones that weren't finished.  I only decided to register because I knew some of the answers and wanted to post!  :D  Does it annoy you when the quizzes are left hanging around with just a few unanswered? 

This isn't a criticism - just an observation  ;) :)

Subject: Re: Penguin Quizzes

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/17/05 at 10:28 pm

I think it's interesting the some of the people who set quizzes like to get them all finalised as quickly as possible.  I found this messageboard while looking for some song lyrics.  One thing lead to another and I started looking at the quizzes and in particular the ones that weren't finished.  I only decided to register because I knew some of the answers and wanted to post!  :D  Does it annoy you when the quizzes are left hanging around with just a few unanswered? 

This isn't a criticism - just an observation  ;) :)
I post very few quizzes as I  tend to post some very obscure stuff.....and so they usually get "Deserted"....but the quizzes are as much of a mystery and hard to figure out as I am...but I digress ;)

Written By: ktelqueen on 03/17/05 at 10:35 pm

i so enjoy it when my quizzes get 'eaten up'..by those who come by their answers honestly..it's actually pretty obvious time after time when a select few post answers that have obviously been 'Googled' or assisted by some means other than memory  :-\\
it's very discouraging to spend a lot of time making a quiz and then have it 'disrespected' if you will by the power of a search engine  >:(
i prefer to have a quiz  linger unanswered for a while if it means that at some point a member happens by and knows an answer  8)

Written By: jaytee on 03/17/05 at 10:44 pm

i so enjoy it when my quizzes get 'eaten up'..by those who come by their answers honestly..it's actually pretty obvious time after time when a select few post answers that have obviously been 'Googled' or assisted by some means other than memory  :-\\
it's very discouraging to spend a lot of time making a quiz and then have it 'disrespected' if you will by the power of a search engine  >:(
i prefer to have a quiz to linger unanswered for a while if it means that at some point a member happens by and knows an answer  8)

I know how you feel.  I always try to include a few obscure lyrics, some Australian lyrics and lots of fairly well known ones so everyone can have a go.  I'd rather have it sit unanswered than for someone to "Google" the answers.  I always thinks it's interesting to see the songs and themes that others come up with.  They are fun to compile and even more fun to play :)

Written By: ADH13 on 03/17/05 at 10:50 pm

The first quiz I made was completed in less than an hour. (It took me almost that long just to make the quiz and post it) so I was actually a little disappointed and I felt like I made it too easy.

The second quiz, I tried to make last longer by encouraging those who answered to add new questions, but it was very time-consuming to maintain.

I would like my quiz to last a day or two, then if there were still unanswered questions, I would probably add a hint.

Written By: jaytee on 03/17/05 at 10:57 pm

The first quiz I made was completed in less than an hour. (It took me almost that long just to make the quiz and post it) so I was actually a little disappointed and I felt like I made it too easy.

The second quiz, I tried to make last longer by encouraging those who answered to add new questions, but it was very time-consuming to maintain.

I would like my quiz to last a day or two, then if there were still unanswered questions, I would probably add a hint.

I can remember thinking how brave you were to post your first quiz when you'd only been here for such a short time.  Took me a while to work up to it!  :o ;D  It's hard to know what's too easy and what's too hard ???  You did a great job on your quizzes. :)

Written By: nally on 03/17/05 at 10:59 pm

I usually take my time to prepare quizzes...which is why I've only posted three of 'em so far. Little did I realize that one of them (a "pair the artists" quiz) would take four months to finish. I guess a few of the songs by some of those artists were kinda obscure or something. :-\\ But it's fun when people get numerous answers right away. If, by any chance, a week goes by with no new answers, then I start adding hints. Or, if about 80% of them are answered in a day or two, then I'd add hints a few days later, depending on how long it generally takes for people to "make a dent" in it.

Written By: ADH13 on 03/17/05 at 10:59 pm

I can remember thinking how brave you were to post your first quiz when you'd only been here for such a short time.  Took me a while to work up to it!   :o ;D  It's hard to know what's too easy and what's too hard ???   You did a great job on your quizzes. :)

I know people get frustrated with us "newbies" sometimes but there is alot to figure out on this board when you first sign up...  Thanks though!  I was very surprised to get a response from you so quick on "Shaddap Ya Face" too!  I never thought I'd find anyone who knew that song! lol

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 03/17/05 at 11:11 pm

i prefer to have a quiz to linger unanswered for a while if it means that at some point a member happens by and knows an answer  8)

You've summed it up very well, Maria!  :)

It takes time making quizzes, so I usually like them to last for a couple of days at least. 

As Maria said, when you've been making quizzes for a while, it's easy to tell if someone's been cheating...especially if they get the full limit like right at the end of a quiz... ???

Written By: jaytee on 03/17/05 at 11:22 pm

As Maria said, when you've been making quizzes for a while, it's easy to tell if someone's been cheating...especially if they get the full limit like right at the end of a quiz... ???

Yeah ... always a dead give away  ::) ;)

Written By: Gis on 03/18/05 at 3:20 am

well I must admit I get fed up with my quiz sitting there for over a week with like 2 answers left so I tend to finish them up.I'd rather do that than have someone google the answer, but also in case someone is being driven insane trying to think where some lyrics come from.

Written By: karen on 03/18/05 at 3:31 am

With some quizzes that are posted here the lyrics nag at you until suddenly you grasp what the answer is.  Or you hear it on the radio or whatever.  If people 'put them to bed' too quickly you don't have that opportunity.  Particularly because of time differences when things are posted or over the weekend when I'm not on the boards I often only see a quiz when the setter has finished it off.

Personally I wouldn't have a problem with leaving one of mine unfinished.  I would set some clues to help after a week or so and then leave it.  I have sometimes gone back through unfinished quizzes and found one I could answer.

Written By: maddog on 03/18/05 at 4:26 am

I'm not a prolific quiz setter but in the ones I do construct I like to throw in a few obscure questions, just to see if anyone else remembers them (Paul usually does anyway  ::)).

I like the mental exercise of struggling to recall the full song when I can recall just a short refrain. I tend to do this when I'm driving (I travel a fair bit with my job). It's frustrating when somebody googles the answer when I'm still wrestling with it.

For my own quizzes, I tend to take the limit off and put in clues if they haven't been answered after a few days.
That way the quiz doesn't get relegated to the wasteland that is "Page 2" or beyond!
I rarely look beyond Page 1 myself but I have, on occasion, done what you did jaytee and made a sweep through unfinished quizzes.

There's one answer still to get on my "Boys and Girls" quiz, I guess I'll leave that open without clues this time.

Final point - I'm going to have another crack at a "crytpic" quiz, after massive public demand (well, one request from jaytee ;)).
At least people can't google the answers to those.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 03/18/05 at 6:05 am

I know how you feel.  I always try to include a few obscure lyrics, some Australian lyrics

Given I don't get here as regularly as I would like, at least that gives me a chance to have one or two left over  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Paul on 03/18/05 at 7:12 am

I'm not a prolific quiz setter but in the ones I do construct I like to throw in a few obscure questions, just to see if anyone else remembers them (Paul usually does anyway  ::)).

Best way to throw me? Insert anything post-1989...!!

Oddly, for all my answering, I'm hopeless at setting - I start off okay, but then drift way into obscureville never to return...!

I like the mental exercise of struggling to recall the full song when I can recall just a short refrain. I tend to do this when I'm driving (I travel a fair bit with my job). It's frustrating when somebody googles the answer when I'm still wrestling with it.

Always a bugbear that - I'm uncertain as to what some people get out of it...

P'raps we should all compile cryptic quizzes...!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/18/05 at 10:24 am

The problem I have with quizzes is that someone ALWAYS gets the ones that I know before I got there!  :(  ;)  When I create a quiz (every now and again), I usually wait a few days after everyone who plays them, has a chance to answer. Then if no one gets them all, I will post hints. There was one time (my Jeopardy quiz) that I really couldn't give a hint because I really didn't know who the person was (reminder to anyone not familar with that quiz that I did not write it-just copied it from some place else). I was surprised that someone FINALLY answered it.

Cat

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/18/05 at 10:29 am

Why not eliminate them altogether or only post a limit of 1 each time, if quiz makers are concerned when members/guests actually post more than one answer?

Tanya

Written By: nally on 03/18/05 at 10:44 am

The problem I have with quizzes is that someone ALWAYS gets the ones that I know before I got there! :( ;)

I'm sure we all have that problem, Cat. I know I do. Sometimes as I'm about to post an answer, someone'll beat me to it by just a few seconds. :-[

Written By: ADH13 on 03/18/05 at 12:55 pm

I know some people probably only look at the first page, too... it might not be a bad idea for someone to go through the old quizzes, fish out the "unanswered questions" and make a new quiz out of them.

Written By: whitewolf on 03/18/05 at 2:10 pm

I like them to last a couple days, My last quiz only a few answered even after hints, so I posted the answers and gave up making quizes.

Written By: jackas on 03/18/05 at 4:08 pm

I kind of like the easy quizzes.  I always think the point of them is to have fun and not stump people.  I feel that when people are stumped by quizzes they start to skip over them.

Written By: nally on 03/18/05 at 4:32 pm

I kind of like the easy quizzes.  I always think the point of them is to have fun and not stump people.  I feel that when people are stumped by quizzes they start to skip over them.

I think of that too, but by the same token I don't want to make it too easy. But what's easy for some people may stump others, and vice-a-versa. :-\\

Written By: jackas on 03/18/05 at 4:39 pm

I think of that too, but by the same token I don't want to make it too easy. But what's easy for some people may stump others, and vice-a-versa. :-\\

True, it all depends on what music you listen to and how well you remember lyrics.

Written By: nally on 03/18/05 at 4:42 pm

True, it all depends on what music you listen to and how well you remember lyrics.

Yeah...it also depends upon the era of music you're most familiar with. I, for one, would be stumped on a quiz that has lots of 70s songs on it. :-\\

Written By: jaytee on 03/18/05 at 5:49 pm

I know some people probably only look at the first page, too... it might not be a bad idea for someone to go through the old quizzes, fish out the "unanswered questions" and make a new quiz out of them.

Are you volunteering?  ;) ;D

Written By: jaytee on 03/18/05 at 5:51 pm

I'm sure we all have that problem, Cat. I know I do. Sometimes as I'm about to post an answer, someone'll beat me to it by just a few seconds. :-
Yeah...it also depends upon the era of music you're most familiar with. I, for one, would be stumped on a quiz that has lots of 70s songs on it. :-\\

They're my favourite type and I bet Fuss, Moo and Karen would say the same  ;) ;)

Written By: nally on 03/18/05 at 11:30 pm

maybe so, but I still look at them anyway and see if I can come up with at least one answer...

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 03/18/05 at 11:32 pm

They're my favourite type and I bet Fuss, Moo and Karen would say the same  ;) ;)

Most definitely, Janine!  ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/19/05 at 7:03 pm

It seems like this week I'm not doing very well on the quizzes.  :-[  I guess I didn't study hard enough for them.  ;) And no one can accuse me of cheating.  ;D

Cat

Written By: whitewolf on 03/19/05 at 7:26 pm

Lately the ones I know are already taken by the time I get to check them out

Check for new replies or respond here...