inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Airplane travel

Written By: whitewolf on 03/25/05 at 9:28 pm

Has anyone here travelled on a plane, I have to in a couple weeks and I am terrified.

What can I do to make it easier and to get worse case scenarios out of my head?
One good thing is I am going to be facing a big fear of mine.

Subject: Re: Airplane travel

Written By: ADH13 on 03/25/05 at 9:36 pm

Has anyone here travelled on a plane, I have to in a couple weeks and I am terrified.

Yes, I have flown many times...  I'm not sure if you're afraid of heights in general, or if you're afraid of a crash.  If you're afraid of heights, you would probably do best with an aisle seat.
I'm assuming you have never flown before?  So I will try to describe it... when you first get on the plane, you will probably sit there for about a half hour before the plane even moves.  Then it will move very slowly on the ground out to the runway, where it will start moving on the ground very fast, and then slowly go up in the air.  Once you're in the air, you really can't even tell unless you look out the window.  Just try to convince yourself that you're on a train.  Sometimes there is turbulence which can feel like a bumpy road or can be a bit of a "dip" but that is normal and doesn't mean there is anything wrong.

And just remember, thousands and thousands of people fly every single day and get to their destinations safely.... we only hear about the very few unfortunate situations, but considering how many planes fly every day, something bad happening is VERY VERY rare.  Similar to car accidents, the drivers who make it from point A to point B safely are never mentioned on the news...

Written By: ADH13 on 03/25/05 at 9:38 pm

and if by any chance you have a layover in Denver, that will probably be the LOW point of your trip... that airport is the worst place I have ever had a layover.

Written By: JavaChick on 03/25/05 at 10:15 pm

Good advice from ADH13.  I've flown quite a bit as an ex-airline employee and I've always found flying to be pretty boring for the most part, and it is really a VERY safe way to travel.  A great way to distract yourself is to bring along some music, a book or something to keep your mind occupied during the  flight.  If you're not afraid of heights, and it's really just a fear of flying (my mother is terrified of flying but not afraid of heights at all)  then after you're back on the ground you'll probably look back at the experience and say "hey, that wasn't so bad at all!"  ;)

Written By: jiminy on 03/25/05 at 10:19 pm

1) On take off as soon as you leave the ground you will feel a slight dip

2) Chew some gum it helps keep your ears from popping

3) If you use the toilet, when you flush it you will hear a noise like air being sucked out, it's not too loud but it's noticeable

4) If you need any help there is a call button above your head and a flight attendant will assist you

5) even if they say you can remove your seatbelt, you might want to keep it on in case there is turbulence

6) landings can feel a bit rough sometimes, as you are descending it can feel as if the plane is dropping, this is normal even if it doesn't feel so good but this usually only happens if the weather is bad

Written By: jiminy on 03/25/05 at 10:28 pm

and if by any chance you have a layover in Denver, that will probably be the LOW point of your trip... that airport is the worst place I have ever had a layover.
Vienna Austria for eight hours really sucked, the only good area to rest was also a smoking area and they just happened to be using a jack hammer to fix the floor the day I was there, it might of been OK if we hadn't been so tired and could leave the small area we was staying in

Written By: jackas on 03/25/05 at 10:33 pm

It is said that traveling in an airplane is safer than driving.  I'm scared everytime I fly, but at the same time I think it's the coolest thing.  It's just amazing that we can fly.:) My husband flies in the Air Force and I just don't worry about it when he's out there.  There is no point and accidents are few and far between.  One thing that may be scary to a new flyer is the turbulence.  I've seen a few people describe it as a small dip.  To someone who is scared, it feels like a big dip.  It can feel like the plane just dropped like 15 feet, but it happens all the time.  Usually the pilot will let the passengers know that you will be experiencing turbulence.  I usually watch the stewardess, if she looks cool then everything is OK. ;D

Written By: ADH13 on 03/25/05 at 10:52 pm

oh yeah, one more little thing that anyone who has ever flown will probably agree with me on... when the plane lands, and you stand up, watch your head!

lol

Written By: ktelqueen on 03/25/05 at 11:09 pm

right on,Tina..i would recommend music for sure and crosswords to occupy your mind  :)

btw,where are you going? ??? :)

Written By: jaytee on 03/26/05 at 7:05 am

I'm off to Melbourne tomorrow with the family.  I'm looking forward to the flight.  Jacks is right - flying is far safer than driving.  If you know any meditation techniques use them.  Breathing deeply and concentrating on your breathing can help you to relax.  Tell the flight attendant you feel anxious - they are usually very good at putting your mind at rest.  I hope you can relax and have a good time  :)

Written By: bunnypeep on 03/26/05 at 8:25 am

Since you're taking such a long flight, be sure to walk up and down the aisles occasionally. you don't want your feet, legs or butt to fall asleep. Flexing your feet and legs while you're sitting is also a good idea. You also may want to get one of the crappy airplane pillows to sit on. When I flew to Brussels, my ass hurt so bad I was shifting from cheek to cheek! ;D Drink plenty of water or juice, not alcohol (though it's tempting if you're anxious). You'll have a great time! If you're truly nervous, take a Benadryl to lightly sedate you.

Written By: whitewolf on 03/26/05 at 8:44 am

thanks guys, it is the flying that scares me, I'm not afraid of heights-not much anyway-I am going to Ottawa for a few days. Leaving on the 14th of April. It will probably be only about a 1:30 to 2 hour flight-I hope.

I am planing to take a good book with me, I am the kind of peopson that can always get "Lost" in the pages of a book. Usually don't put them down till i am done.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/26/05 at 2:31 pm

I have flown so many times and the more and more I fly, the more and more I hate it and I get truly peterfied. I have found a few things really helps me get through it. Having my husband next to me to just hold my hand helps. (I know that sounds a little stupid but it really does help me)  Also, music. Most airlines provide music that include a varity of "stations"-rock, classical, alternitive, etc. However, some airlines will charge you $5 for the headphones. You can bring your own music (or just your own headphones to plug into the plane's music) but be warned that you must turn off your music for take-off and landing. Also, a good stiff drink doesn't hurt either.  ;) But, again, the airlines charges quite a bit for a drink-so be prepared to pay out if you go that route. As much as I hate flying, I still find myself boarding a plane. It is usually the take-offs and the landings that really bother me but I find once we are in the air-I am usually fine. As Ktelqueen has mentioned, crosswords and books also help to pass the time. Some airlines (American which I can think of off hand) have their own magazine which has a crossword in it. I had been lucky in the past because when I got to the magazine, no one did the crossword already. You can also bring electronic games but these also have to be turned off during take-off and landing.

Well, that is my advice (from someone who abolusutely hates to fiy but does it anyway).  I'm sure you will do just fine.

Cat

Written By: AL-B on 03/26/05 at 2:54 pm

I remember the first time I flew on a plane--it was a short flight from Omaha to St. Louis. I was a little nervous when I got on the plane but once we took off I thought it was one of the most absolutely cool things I'd ever experienced in my life. I think a lot of it depends on the size of the plane you're on. I could get on a big jetliner and not even break a sweat, but the last time I flew was about 13 years ago (I was just getting out of the Army and was on my way home) and it was on a small twin-engine turboprop commuter plane and it made me a little uneasy. Since it was a smaller plane it was more susceptible to turbulence, so it jerked and bounced around a lot more than, say, a 737. It was a clear day out, and I convinced myself not to worry too much, that it was just the nature of the beast. But if I had to fly on that little sonofabitch through a thunderstorm I know I would've been so terrified that it would've taken the ground crews three days to clean all my sh*t out of the cabin.

Written By: Marian on 03/26/05 at 4:42 pm

;DI'm a big fan of the Everly brothers so i don't think i cN HELP YOU WITH THAT ONE

Written By: Howard on 03/26/05 at 4:51 pm

Well whitewolf,I've traveled on planes with my parents years ago.You just to stay relaxed and think good thoughts.try not to think about the bad ones or it's gonna make you crazy.Have a safe trip,WW :)

Written By: whitewolf on 03/27/05 at 8:14 pm

Well whitewolf,I've traveled on planes with my parents years ago.You just to stay relaxed and think good thoughts.try not to think about the bad ones or it's gonna make you crazy.Have a safe trip,WW :)

Easier said than done I'm afraid, but you guys have helped me to calm down some.

Written By: jiminy on 03/27/05 at 8:44 pm

What airline will you fly?

Written By: Bobby on 03/28/05 at 6:14 am

I only went on a plane once (trip to Spain). Whitewolf, the view is a little disorientating at first (as in magnificent) but the thought of flying is worse than the experience.  :)

I was treated to a thunderstorm display above the clouds. That took my breath away.  :)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 03/28/05 at 6:29 am

Whitewolf,

For my job I had to spend Easter Saturday and Sunday flying to Canberra and back from Brisbane.  Get a map if those places are meaningless to you  ;D

I am still here.  Have done it many times before and will do so again.  I really enjoy it and it IS much safer than being in a car  :)

Written By: nally on 03/28/05 at 11:18 am

I was 11 when I first flew on an airplane. We flew to San Jose, rented a car and then drove to Monterey. It was a wonderful experience for me; I had fun.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 03/28/05 at 12:09 pm

With all of my family's travels over the years, I have been on many, many airplanes.  They are a fun and safe way to travel (though long flights aren't as much fun because you start to get uncomfortable from sitting for so long).  :) 

Written By: whitewolf on 03/28/05 at 4:08 pm

My flight will only be approx. 2 hours (at the most) , however long it takes to get from Fredericton NB to Ottawa.

Not sure what airline I am going on yet, the group I am going with are gonna set that up.
I should be finding out the rest of the details this week.
I am planning to bring a novel to keep my mind off of the fact that I will be lord knows how many miles in the air. Mind you it's not the height that scares me, it's the coming down part.

Thanks again everyone for your feedback

Written By: Howard on 03/28/05 at 4:41 pm

read a book or listen to music OR just snooze and take a nap :)

Written By: jiminy on 03/28/05 at 6:06 pm

Take a bath...whoops, sorry wrong thread, I thought this was the "what are you going to do today" thread  :D

Written By: Howard on 03/28/05 at 6:08 pm

Take a bath...whoops, sorry wrong thread, I thought this was the "what are you going to do today" thread  :D

dummy ;D

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/28/05 at 6:46 pm

I've never flown before.

Written By: whitewolf on 03/28/05 at 7:55 pm

Now I may get my facts mixed up just a little, but you'll get the point.

Less people die each year from plane crashes than from shark attacks.

And I believe you're only flying like... a mile and a half, maybe two miles. It's not like "OH EM GEE, WE'RE LIKE 4879276892 MILES ABOVE THE EARTH!!!"

Thanks but if I was only going about a mile or two I don't think I would need to fly.
Its about a 2 hour trip by plane, but by car it would be about 15 to 20 hours, depending on how fast you drive.

Written By: whitewolf on 03/28/05 at 8:23 pm

Hehehe ^_^;; I meant in the air. Like... height. Not distance. Sorry.

ok gotcha, was wondering what you meant, I also thought you might have meant that it would only seem like a mile or two since on a plane you get there quicker.

Written By: whitewolf on 04/11/05 at 5:08 pm

Found out more about my upcoming flight.

We will be flying Air Canada to Ottawa with a stop in Montreal. I leave Wednesday .

Written By: nally on 04/11/05 at 5:14 pm

I have been on an airplane three different times (nine planes total), the first of which was in May of 1992, when I was 11 (as stated on the previous page of this thread). The second time was in June of 1994; we flew to the Midwest (it was my first time out of California). We switched planes in St. Louis, then flew the rest of the way to Chicago. Coming back, we changed planes in Albuquerque and flew the rest of the way back to LAX. My third plane trip was to Minneapolis in May of 2002; both ways we had switched planes in Denver.

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/11/05 at 5:16 pm

I have flown from St Louis - Chicago and Chicago - St Louis many times.

It's a similar distance (a bit less) than your trip and to be honest, you hardly even notice it.

Think just how fast an hour or so goes past when your sitting at home watching TV or something.. same difference except your not at home.

Literally.. you go up.. think 'Hmmm That's cool' and before you know it you feel a bump and tada, your back on the ground again.

Written By: nally on 04/11/05 at 5:22 pm

Literally.. you go up.. think 'Hmmm That's cool' and before you know it you feel a bump and tada, your back on the ground again.

Yeah...the first time I went up in the air, I see the world below me...from the top. It is a cool view. 8) But then after the plane passes the area that's familiar to me, I don't recognize anything and I don't pay much attention until we approach our destination and the plane starts to descend.

Written By: karen on 04/13/05 at 10:27 am

whitewolf

just got round to reading this thread.

The first time I flew was when I was 18 to go on holiday in Spain and I hated it.  After that I didn't go on a plane until I was 30!  My husband paid for me to go on a 'flying with confidence' course.  Now I wouldn't say I'm confident when I go and I always get last minute nerves but generally I cope.

It is the taking off and landing I don't like because I suffer with problems with my ears clearing properly.  I now take a de-congestant for a couple of days before and that helps.  Chewing gum or sucking sweets also help with the process.

Usually I am busy looking after the children so I don't get time to get bored.  If they serve a meal on your flight then by the time you've taken off, eaten the meal and they've cleared it away you are about to land.  When we flew to Florida (8 hours or so) then I listened to some music and watched one of the films to pass the time.

Written By: NullandVoid on 04/13/05 at 4:42 pm

1) On take off as soon as you leave the ground you will feel a slight dip

2) Chew some gum it helps keep your ears from popping

3) If you use the toilet, when you flush it you will hear a noise like air being sucked out.

Oh my lord, that scared the SH#$ out of me on my first plane trip. I ran out of the bathroom because it scared me so so bad. I thought I broke something.

Written By: whitewolf on 04/14/05 at 1:58 pm

plane delayed, something broke, still stuck at the airport. >:(

Written By: whitewolf on 04/18/05 at 7:26 pm

hi guys, just letting you know how my flight was. We had a 6 and a half hour delay in Fredericton, we had to re-book our flight and they seperated me from my group so I was alone (nobody I knew) on my flight and the rest of my group on another flight about 30 minutes behind me. stopped in Montreal and changed planes. I was nervous on the first plane but after that it was great. I it was so different seeing the ground from that high up. Reminded me of a giant jigsaw puzzle.

Written By: ADH13 on 04/18/05 at 7:28 pm

hi guys, just letting you know how my flight was. We had a 6 and a half hour delay in Fredericton, we had to re-book our flight and they seperated me from my group so I was alone (nobody I knew) on my flight and the rest of my group on another flight about 30 minutes behind me. stopped in Montreal and changed planes. I was nervous on the first plane but after that it was great. I it was so different seeing the ground from that high up. Reminded me of a giant jigsaw puzzle.

Good, I'm glad you enjoyed your flight!  Like I said, usually the layovers stand out as the big pain-in-the-a$$ as opposed to the flight itself, even when flying makes you nervous.  Welcome back!

Written By: whitewolf on 04/18/05 at 7:36 pm

Good, I'm glad you enjoyed your flight!   Like I said, usually the layovers stand out as the big pain-in-the-a$$ as opposed to the flight itself, even when flying makes you nervous.  Welcome back!

The pain in the a$$ for me was being seperated from my group and waiting in Montreal for them, not knowing if they were going to make it for the second plane. Thought I was gonna be all alone for the entire trip. :\'(

Written By: ADH13 on 04/18/05 at 7:38 pm

The pain in the a$$ for me was being seperated from my group and waiting in Montreal for them, not knowing if they were going to make it for the second plane. Thought I was gonna be all alone for the entire trip. :\'(

I hope you didn't smack your head on the overhead compartment when you stood up to exit the plane.  People ALWAYS do that. ;D

Written By: whitewolf on 04/18/05 at 8:08 pm

I'm glad things went smoothly....in the air at least ;)

everything went good, I will travel on a plane anytime.

I hope you didn't smack your head on the overhead compartment when you stood up to exit the plane.  People ALWAYS do that. ;D

nope, not tall enough for that to happen ;D

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/19/05 at 7:40 am

I hope you didn't smack your head on the overhead compartment when you stood up to exit the plane.  People ALWAYS do that. ;D

'Some' people.. open the overhead compartment.. and there bag drops right on their head :o

Written By: jaytee on 04/19/05 at 8:11 am

everything went good, I will travel on a plane anytime.

Great  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...