inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Practical Jokes

Written By: ADH13 on 03/25/05 at 11:26 pm

Have you played any good practical jokes on anyone lately?  Or had someone get you good?

I got a good friend of mine good... he & I have gone back and forth with the "Birthday" song by the Beatles for years.. first he played it over the phone on my birthday, then for his birthday I got him a dancing hamster thing that plays that song, then he sang it to me on my birthday, etc...  So I had to think of something new for his birthday..  I had a CD player/alarm clock that you can set to play a cd when the alarm goes off.  So I burned a CD with "Birthday" over and over... set the alarm for 5:30am, when I knew he'd be driving his work truck.  The night before his b-day I stuck the CD player under the seat of his truck, and turned the volume way up.  :)

He later told me that it scared the $#!+ out of him, but he said it was one of the best birthday gifts he ever got.  :)

Subject: Re: Practical Jokes

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/26/05 at 5:57 am

Have you played any good practical jokes on anyone lately?  Or had someone get you good?

I got a good friend of mine good... he & I have gone back and forth with the "Birthday" song by the Beatles for years.. first he played it over the phone on my birthday, then for his birthday I got him a dancing hamster thing that plays that song, then he sang it to me on my birthday, etc...   So I had to think of something new for his birthday..  I had a CD player/alarm clock that you can set to play a cd when the alarm goes off.  So I burned a CD with "Birthday" over and over... set the alarm for 5:30am, when I knew he'd be driving his work truck.  The night before his b-day I stuck the CD player under the seat of his truck, and turned the volume way up.  :)

He later told me that it scared the $#!+ out of him, but he said it was one of the best birthday gifts he ever got.  :)

My jokes will be on Friday!

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 03/27/05 at 3:56 am

Best joke ever played on me was back in 1989 in the UK by actor Jack Nicholson and involved the special effects guys from Batman, a remote control body part, a fake policeman and policedog, and a whole pub full of people who were in on the gag for a full 3 weeks.  I actually spent the three weeks convinced I was going insane !

I got him back - I rang concord and cancelled his flight to the US !!!

Lemme just say - Jack can give a joke - but he doesnt take one so good !  You dont ever want to be on his bad side !

Written By: NullandVoid on 03/27/05 at 8:58 am

My brother managed to freak me out good the night before.
HE had been playing  Resident Evil 4 in full Dolby Pro logic surround sound, which is a big NO NO for me. I have always been terrified of anything zombie related. So after witnessing RE4, my nerves were on edge. Fast forward to 5 hours later, I'm up 4:00am by myself playing Gran Turismo of course and watching the Discovery Channel. I have two TVs, One big flat screen and a 13'' just for playing games when someone else is hogging up the other set. Gran Turismo was on the little TV and Discovery was on the big one. So I'm playing and then all of a sudden the big TV goes nuts. It's starts switching channels and then rests on the cinemaxbeyond. I ignore it thinking that maybe Time Warner is screwing around again. I switch the TV back to Discovery and continue playing. 5 minutes later the same thing happens again. This time I grew concerned and got up to check the settings on my cable box and TV to make sure that I didn't have the Auto-Tuner on. Everything seemed to be in order until it happened.
      The SMALL TV started flipping out. It kept on switching from Gran Turismo to cable and then static. Then everything just went off !I began to suspect my brother was playing tricks on me so I checked to see if he was asleep and he was-snoring and the whole nine. Just to be sure I did a remote control check. They were all in my posession including the cable controller. By then my nerves started getting the best of me,  I then got up to go light a cig. As soon as I stepped back in my room, The Big TV, The Little TV AND my stereo system all came to life. Within seconds a very gruesome scene from "Shaun of the Dead" (go ahead laugh) starting playing from both of the TV's. I peeked at my brother and he still appeared to be sleeping.My stereo blasted the audio at full volume. Fully scared,I screamed out a few curses I ran into the bathroom and immediately used it. Yep I was that scared. Through the thin bathroom walls you know what I heard next? My brother laughing hysterically. Yes he pulled a fast one on me and this is how:
1. Earlier that night my brother took my parents remote and reprogrammed it to control my TVs, DVD player and Radio. He also got an old universal remote and programmed to work on the little TV. That's how he managed to change the TVs without using any of our remotes!

2. He put "Shaun of the Dead" in the DVD player and sat a thick marker in front of the DVD player display so I wouldn't notice it coming on. He then turned the player off so that the next time it was turned on, the movie would pick up wherever you left it.

3. My brother knows me so well man. Knowing that I will immediately light up a cig when I get angry or nervous he hid my lighters and matches so I would have to get up and light my cig on the stove. that gave him just enough time to manually switch the input on both Tvs so they would both play the DVD signal at the same time. He also turned the volume on the stereo way up.  That is the only thing that the uni remote will not control

I immediately put my initials on my remote so he could never again do this to me a year down the road when I've forgotten about it. I am also planning my revenge.

* Sorry my post was so long, I just had to share this with y'all ::)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/27/05 at 5:09 pm

Okay...when I was 13 me and my neighbor ties a few coffee cans to a hanger we'd shaped so it would stand up. We'd wait until dark and set them at the top of a hill near our houses. As a car would come by the hanger would catch on the bottom of the cars and they'd drag the cans down the street a ways :D

Written By: ADH13 on 03/27/05 at 5:20 pm

Okay...when I was 13 me and my neighbor ties a few coffee cans to a hanger we'd shaped so it would stand up. We'd wait until dark and set them at the top of a hill near our houses. As a car would come by the hanger would catch on the bottom of the cars and they'd drag the cans down the street a ways :D

Are you gonna play any jokes for April Fools?

Check for new replies or respond here...