inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Where Were You When........................

Written By: jackas on 04/01/05 at 2:24 pm

Everybody remembers where they were or what they were doing when a big news story broke.  Tell me where you were or what you were doing when one or all of the following events happened or even add some if you like.

JFK was shot.

Lee Harvey Oswald was shot.

Princess Diana was killed.

The Twin Towers were attacked.

Please add any events that stood out in your life.

Subject: Re: Where Were You When........................

Written By: Jennifer028 on 04/01/05 at 2:30 pm

When Princess Diana was killed I was with my now ex-boyfriend at one of his friends house (doing nothing really)

When the Twin Towers were hit I was sleeping...I woke up and had 2-3 messages on the answering machine and I turned on the news  :\'(

I was in 4th grade when the Challenger exploded.  I sortof remember them turning the news on.

Written By: ADH13 on 04/01/05 at 2:37 pm

Princess Diana was killed. - Sleeping... my family told me about it the next morning...

The Twin Towers were attacked. - I had just gotten to work and turned on the radio when everyone still thought it was a bomb

I was in 3rd grade when the Iran/Hostages thing happened... it was the only time in elementary school that the teacher brought a tv to class so we could watch the news.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/01/05 at 2:52 pm

JFK was shot. At primary school

Lee Harvey Oswald was shot. At primary school, as above too young to know what was going on.

Man landed on the Moon. Watching the TV coverage at school

John Lennon was shot. Asleep, but woke up to the news on the radio.

Princess Diana was killed. Asleep when the crash happen, but awake and watching the TV at 5am the reports and the announcement of her death.

The Twin Towers were attacked. Watching it all on live TV

Written By: jackas on 04/01/05 at 3:04 pm

Thanks guys.  I have always found it interesting how we remember what we were doing when we hear of tragic news.

Written By: nally on 04/01/05 at 3:25 pm

JFK was shot.
Not born yet.

Not born yet.

At home. I had heard about it on TV. Because of the time difference, the U.S. was hearing about it on the evening of Aug. 30th their time. It was a few days before I began my senior year of high school.

When the crash happened, it was before 6:00 AM my time, so I was in bed sleeping. When I got up and went downstairs, I heard all about it.

Written By: jackas on 04/01/05 at 3:47 pm

When Princess Diana died.....I lived in Arizona.  I was watching TV in my dorm when it was announced.

The Twin Towers.....I was driving to work when I heard that the first plane hit and they thought it may have been random.  When I got to work I turned on the TV in the lobby and learned of the second tower.

The space shuttle Challenger....I was at school.  I remember another teacher coming in to tell my teacher what happened.

The Branch Davidian Compound was seized......I was in L.A. at a friends house.  We had just got up and were watching it on the news.  This was the first violent thing I had ever seen in our country and was totally shocked to see people getting shot on TV.

Oklahoma City bombing...My Nana had come out to visit and we were watching TV together.

The JFK and Oswald thing happened way before I was born.

Written By: Howard on 04/01/05 at 3:50 pm

When the Twin Towers were attacked,I was in the city when it happened and didn't come home till about 7pm.My Parents had a sheeshfit! :o

Written By: Marian on 04/01/05 at 3:53 pm

When the Twin Towers were attacked,I was in the city when it happened and didn't come home till about 7pm.My Parents had a sheeshfit! :o
well they should have been able to understand that that kind of event makes it very difficult for people to commumicate with each other,unless they see other on the news or something.Hope they weren't mad at YOU.I mean,it wasn't really your fault that you didn't get home untiul then,right?

Written By: Howard on 04/01/05 at 3:56 pm

well they should have been able to understand that that kind of event makes it very difficult for people to commumicate with each other,unless they see other on the news or something.Hope they weren't mad at YOU.I mean,it wasn't really your fault that you didn't get home untiul then,right?

No Marian just paranoid but I got home safe and sound :)

Written By: Marian on 04/01/05 at 4:41 pm

No Marian just paranoid but I got home safe and sound :)
That's good!Anyway i was at an antique shop when Elvis presley died.

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/01/05 at 4:44 pm

JFK was shot. Not born yet.

Lee Harvey Oswald was shot. Not born yet.

Princess Diana was killed. I really don't remember..probably at school though.

The Twin Towers were attacked. 1st period US history, I was in Junior High. We had a television in the room..I saw the second plane hit.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/01/05 at 5:03 pm

That's good!Anyway i was at an antique shop when Elvis presley died.
Believe it or not, I was in a chip shop when I was informed that Elvis had died.

Written By: jiminy on 04/01/05 at 5:04 pm

Believe it or not, I was in a chip shop when I was informed that Elvis had died.

and ironically Elvis was on the Lou  ;D
thank you very much

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/01/05 at 5:06 pm

and ironically Elvis was on the Lou  ;D
thank you very much

There is a song by Kirsty MacColl called "There's A Guy Works Down The Chipshop (Swear He's Elvis)"

Written By: jiminy on 04/01/05 at 6:21 pm

http://www.deathclock.com/

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/01/05 at 6:33 pm

Everybody remembers where they were or what they were doing when a big news story broke.  Tell me where you were or what you were doing when one or all of the following events happened or even add some if you like.

JFK was shot.

For the Oklahoma city bombing, I remember it happening, I don't remember exactly where I was at the time. I can remember all the increased security at federal buildings, and being afraid to go into the one downtown with my dad because of the bombing.

I was at home and 10 years old when Princess Diana was killed, it was a Sunday. I remember that she was in the crash in france and they were trying to bring her back for several hours, but they could not. I remember the headlines in the paper. I remember watching the funeral and how sad it was.

When the twin towers came down, I was in school about to leave history class, it was 8:41 AM, and my history teacher told us "life just got a little interesting", and told us that a plane had crashed into the world trade center, we ended up heading to our next class, but in a few minutes the whole school gathered in the chapel area (it was a christian school), there was a tv on in the room, it wasn't coming in to good though. Everybody was crying and praying. Eventually we returned to class, then heard the pentagon had been hit. At about 10:30 am we heard that the towers had collapsed. The rest of the afternoon we were listening to the radio and stuff, trying to keep up on the events.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/01/05 at 9:19 pm

I was at home when I heard about Princess Diana's death

I was at college when I heard about the Twin Towers being under attack.....everyone was running in the halls towards a big TV that was showing everything....we were all dismissed early that day....and I went home and literally sat in front of the TV from about 10 am....till I fell asleep sometime the next morning....without moving.

Erin

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/01/05 at 9:30 pm

JFK was shot.
not born

not born

I was a kid, so didn't really notice it... wasn't a huge deal.

When I woke up, switched the radio on, I thought it was a joke (can't trust morning radio presenters) - that was until dad rushed in and switched on the TV. At school that day (it was September 12) the only thing we really did in class was talk about and watch this tragic event.

The Tsunami Struck.
This should be added. I was on here when it happened, thats how I heard about it.

Written By: Dagwood on 04/01/05 at 11:01 pm

JFK was shot. - not yet born

Lee Harvey Oswald was shot - see above

Princess Diana was killed. - I was 5 months pregnant and at my friends house.  We were watching something on tv and a crawler came on with the news of the accident.  A little later the crawler reported her death.  Sad.

The Twin Towers were attacked. - Work.  A co-worker came in and said a plane just flew into the tower.  I turned on the radio just as they reported the second plane hitting.  I thought it was just a small plane.  I couldn't turn the radio off for the rest of the day.

I was in 9th grade Algebra when the Challenger exploded.  The principal made an announcement to tell us.  He was crying.  I grew up in the town that was basically supported by the company that made the boosters. (Morton Thiokol).  When I was a Senior they filmed my government class watching the next shuttle launch.  I think they expected cheers but what they got was a room full of quiet kids watching to see if it would explode, too.

Written By: Jennifer028 on 04/01/05 at 11:08 pm

When Princess Diana died.....I lived in Arizona.  I was watching TV in my dorm when it was announced.

Where in Arizona?

Written By: NullandVoid on 04/02/05 at 1:35 am

I was at home, that's all i remember

I was in Queens working on the election polls. I ended up staying over an ex-boyfriend/kind of friend's house. I didn't have the nerve or the energy to walk back to Manhattan. When i returned home the following day, I came up out of the train station and the first thing I thought was*"My God it smells like a nasty BBQ" I live 10 mins away from Ground Zero. That smell stuck around for DAYS

*I was not trying to make some sort of sick joke, I honestly thought that

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/02/05 at 2:35 am

The Tsunami Struck.
This should be added. I was on here when it happened, thats how I heard about it.

It was the same with me.

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 04/02/05 at 6:05 am

I don't know where I was exactly at the precise time that Princess Diana was killed, but I remember I was spending the night at my nana's house, and the next morning (which was a Sunday), my nana turned on the BBC news and the story was everywhere. I can also remember newsreader Michael Burke crying while he was reading the story out. it was very sad.
When the Twin Towers collapsed i was in the street with my friends, when a kid from up the street ran out of his house and started screaming "The twin towers have been hit by a plane!" so everybody rushed in and the news channels were showing the same clips on loop, again, it dominated the headlines here in britain for weeks. Again, very sad
:\'(

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 04/02/05 at 6:52 am

JFK was shot.

I was not quite 2 years old - I imagine I was at home

Ditto

I remember watching television on a Sunday (rare for me) and the program being interrupted with a newsflash (which doesn't happen often where I live).  And I remember thinking "You just never know..."

I was asleep.  8 a.m. East Coast USA equates to 11 p.m. or Midnight East Coast Australia.  So I awoke about 6 hours later and turned on the TV to catch the news.... and there WAS some.  The first thing that caught my eye was the banner behind the newsreader that said "America Under Attack"

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 04/02/05 at 6:58 am

When Lady Diana was involved in the car crash I was dozing in bed at around 5am..The disturbing news made me  bring my transistor closer to my head so I could listen to the unfolding news reports, without disturbing others in the house.

The Twin Towers Disaster:

I was actually wall-papering, and my friend called to tell me the news. I didn't appreciate the enormity of what had happened, so we switched on the telly and watched in absolute horror.

BIN-LADEN you piece of SCUM.

Written By: Paul on 04/02/05 at 7:10 am

Kennedy & Oswald...I wasn't yet born, but everyone over a certain age (i.e., 50+) knows it as if it were yesterday (that's if my parents recollections are anything to go by...)

Lennon...I was just waking up to go to school on a grotty December morning, when the radio by the side of my bed kept playing nothing but Lennon records...it didn't take long for it to sink in...

Diana...I'd been out for a drink that Saturday evening and got home quite late...had the radio on again with reports coming through from Paris about her and an 'incident in an underpass' - didn't think no more of it and went to sleep...it may seem a bit ghoulish, but go here to see how our TV broke the news (you'll need RealPlayer) - fascinating nonetheless...

Twin Towers...I'd just finished lunch at work when the news broke and vividly remember some berk saying that some planes were headed to do the same thing over here (which panicked a few people)...I can't remember whether we all left early that day, but do remember getting home and watching one of the Towers at the point of collapse...

Tsunami...much the same as the Lennon episode insofar as I was just waking up as the news broke - it wasn't until later in the day that the full scale of the horror was realised...

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/02/05 at 7:18 am

Kennedy & Oswald...I wasn't yet born, but everyone over a certain age (i.e., 50+) knows it as if it were yesterday (that's if my parents recollections are anything to go by...)

Lennon...I was just waking up to go to school on a grotty December morning, when the radio by the side of my bed kept playing nothing but Lennon records...it didn't take long for it to sink in...

Diana...I'd been out for a drink that Saturday evening and got home quite late...had the radio on again with reports coming through from Paris about her and an 'incident in an underpass' - didn't think no more of it and went to sleep...it may seem a bit ghoulish, but go here to see how our TV broke the news (you'll need RealPlayer) - fascinating nonetheless...

Twin Towers...I'd just finished lunch at work when the news broke and vividly remember some berk saying that some planes were headed to do the same thing over here (which panicked a few people)...I can't remember whether we all left early that day, but do remember getting home and watching one of the Towers at the point of collapse...

Tsunami...much the same as the Lennon episode insofar as I was just waking up as the news broke - it wasn't until later in the day that the full scale of the horror was realised...

Diana...

I was sleeping, for we were attending a Christening of my Godchild that Sunday, my wife was still up at 1am and she did wake me up, saying there is something about Diana and a car crash in Paris, but I went back to sleep, but I was up at 5am to see Robin Cook (the then Home Secretary) make the announcement of her death live on TV from Manila Airport.

As I am based very close to Kensington Palace, where Diana resided, all this meant something to me and my family at that time.

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 04/02/05 at 7:48 am

Oh, and when the Tsunami struck... i haven't a clue! I can't remember... does anybody remember what day (more specifically - time) it was? I know it was just after Christmas / just before New Year

Written By: AngeliK on 04/02/05 at 8:38 am

when Princess Diana died I was 11,  staying at my nans, I used to just get up and turn the tv on but that day i didn't I went and had a bath instead and I remember my nan rushing into the bathroom and telling me.

When the twin towers happened I was again at my nans off school and I was watching tv and it was all over the channels I saw the whole thing as it happened and was the one to tell my grandparents what happened.

The Tsunami (boxing day last year btw) I was at my mums, we just got up and turned the tv on and again it was all over the channels so couldn't really miss it. My Grandad on my mums side was there at the time so it was really stressful for my mum and so I remember it vividly for that reason.

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 04/02/05 at 9:36 am

when Princess Diana died I was 11,  staying at my nans, I used to just get up and turn the tv on but that day i didn't I went and had a bath instead and I remember my nan rushing into the bathroom and telling me.

When the twin towers happened I was again at my nans off school and I was watching tv and it was all over the channels I saw the whole thing as it happened and was the one to tell my grandparents what happened.

The Tsunami (boxing day last year btw) I was at my mums, we just got up and turned the tv on and again it was all over the channels so couldn't really miss it. My Grandad on my mums side was there at the time so it was really stressful for my mum and so I remember it vividly for that reason.

Did you just read mine?! It's spooky how we were both staying at our nan's on the day when Diana died!

Written By: gemini61 on 04/02/05 at 9:46 am

When JFK was shot I was 2, so probably at home.

When Elvis died, I don't know why I remember this, but I was 16 and I remember my mom, my sister and I were in the car and heard it on the radio. I even remember what road and exactly where we were on the road. Weird.

When John Lennon was killed, hubby and I woke up to hearing it on the radio and I thought I was dreaming.

When the towers were hit, I was at work and we found a little TV and everyone was huddled around it trying to get any info we could.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/02/05 at 10:31 am

JFK was shot.
not born

not born

Princess Diana died
Strangely enough, I just came back from attending a World Youth Day in Paris, when the event happend.

9/11
Found out about it after waking up and watching the news on TV.

Written By: AngeliK on 04/02/05 at 10:35 am

Did you just read mine?! It's spooky how we were both staying at our nan's on the day when Diana died!

yeah I noticed that too....spooky!

Written By: Ansky1213 on 04/02/05 at 2:17 pm

JFK was shot. Not Born

Lee Harvey Oswald was shot. Not Born

Princess Diana was killed. I was in Chinatown, actually. I heard on the radio in a cab.

The Twin Towers were attacked. I was at school, with my good friend whose dad worked in Tower #1 (he's fine). Man, that was a terrifying day. Living in New York, I can still remember everything that happened that day with absolute clarity.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/02/05 at 3:49 pm

JFK was shot.....I lived in Paris, France and was 3 and a half.

Lee Harvey Oswald was shot....still in Paris.

Princess Diana was killed. I was working at Goodwill and still remember it well  :\'(

The Twin Towers were attacked...I was watching ESPN's Sportscenter and the highlights of  The Denver Broncos knocking off The Giants on Monday Night Football. I though Ed Macaffrey breaking his leg was bad until... :-\\ I remember turning to MTV2 and they were showing a plane crashing into one of the towers...I though it was a music video.

Please add any events that stood out in your life

I'll Add:

John Lennon Died December 8, 1980-

Jim Morrison Died July 3, 1971-

Ronald Reagan was shot  March 30, 1981-

My friend Dawn Stephenson died January 19, 1991

My freind Dawn was born January 19, 1974

My son Blaine Died April 26, 2001

The Berlin Wall came down November 1989

Written By: Techno383 on 04/02/05 at 5:30 pm

Princess Diana was killed
At home most likely listening to music

On my way to Gym class in school. I saw the whole thing out of a huge picture window. My School is Murray Bergtraum Highschool, 3 block away from the disaster.

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 04/02/05 at 5:32 pm

Here's a new one to add:
Pope John Paul III's death - Checking out my e-mails on Yahoo, when it came up, six minutes after his death was announced

Written By: gord on 04/02/05 at 6:38 pm

I wasn't born when JFK was assasinated

-when the news broke about Princess Diana my wife and kids and I were on a weekend getaway, we were in the hotel room and the news came on.

- on 9/11 I was at work, it was around 11 am e.t. , we had a delivery of trusses come to our job site and the driver told us, we turned on a radio and got the details.

- I didn't hear about Lennon until the next morning, getting ready for school I heard the news.

- when the space shuttle exploded  I was at work and heard the news on the radio.

- when Pres. Reagan was shot I was in school and they broadcast the news over the PA

these are probably the top 5 news events that are burned into my memory

Written By: jackas on 04/03/05 at 1:17 am

When Elvis died, I don't know why I remember this, but I was 16 and I remember my mom, my sister and I were in the car and heard it on the radio. I even remember what road and exactly where we were on the road. Weird.

I do think that is weird, but that is why I did this thread because it seems that you can remember small details, exactly like what you are saying.  I think it is amazing how our minds can do that.

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 04/03/05 at 6:10 am

Here's a new one to add:
Pope John Paul III's death - Checking out my e-mails on Yahoo, when it came up, six minutes after his death was announced

Sorry, I was supposed to say John Paul II...

Written By: NullandVoid on 04/03/05 at 8:31 am

More events for my life:

The Challenger: I'm positive that I was in school, because my teachers were crying hysterically

The Tsunami: At home feeling miserable, the story broke on the news

The Berlin Wall: All I remember from this was my friend corey bringing "pieces" of the wall. Back then we were impressed, now I think the rocks were fake.

Red SoX Win the World Series(2004): I was in Cape Cod, Mass. surrounded by at least 10 Sox fans proudly dressed in my Bernie Williams Jersey, happily drinking a Heineken....Then the Horror began.
I have NEVER felt so far from home in my life!!

Written By: danootaandme on 04/03/05 at 11:57 am

JFK was shot- In school.  They sent us home but didn't tell us why.

Lee Harvey Oswald was shot-I saw it as it happened on TV

Princess Diana was killed-Home watching TV

The Twin Towers were attacked-Work.  All work ceased after the second tower got hit.

John Lennon-Sleeping.  My sister was at a Stevie Wonder concert and they stopped the concert, gave Stevie the news, he announced it to the crowd, then sang Imagine.  She said the concert ended and people walked out crying.

Ronald Reagan-At work in a bank.  A quip was made by some pampered rich guy who got the job cause his dad was a Vice President of the Bank said that it was probably some welfare mother unhappy with her check.  Turned out to be a pampered rich kid, ohhh the irony.

The Berlin Wall came down November-Making bricks in the hopes that the wall would be replaced

Written By: whitewolf on 04/03/05 at 12:16 pm

I was home watching Tv when Princess Diana was killed-first the newscaster was saying she only broke her arm and leg-but is fine. About 2 hours later they said she died instantly.

Challenger Explosion-I was at home watching it on TV. (can't remember why I wasn't at school)

Twin Towers-was home and my sister called to tell me to turn on the TV. I remember thinking- "What kind of world am I bringing my baby into" i was pregnant with my youngest at the time.

Elvis-I was only 7 and not into music yet, my sisters were crying and told us that elvis died-I had no idea who he was.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 04/03/05 at 12:30 pm

JFK was shot and Lee Harvey Oswald was shot.... I wasn't yet born.

Elvis Presley died... I was cleaning my bedroom when I heard the news on TV.

John Lennon was killed... I think I was eating my dinner when I heard about this.

The Challenger exploded.... I was in a painting class in college and I heard some of the other students talking about this.

Princess Diana was killed... I was doing something at home...can't remember exactly what.

The Twin Towers were attacked... I was sleeping (5:00 a.m.) and my mom woke me up with a phone call saying something to the effect that the 'world was being attacked'...sure woke me up quickly!!

The Asian tsunami struck... I was watching CNN news when they started talking about this.  

Written By: AL-B on 04/03/05 at 2:20 pm

Reagan was shot:I was in the 4th grade and the principal announced it over the PA system, I remember he sounded pretty shaken.

Challenger explosion:I think I was a sophomore in high school. Some kid came into our math class and said, "Hey, man, the Space Shuttle just blew up." He was so non-chalant and matter-of-fact about it that we were all like, "Yeah, right, B.S, you're full of it." "No, man, it really did." "Yeah, right." This went back and forth until we broke for lunch and then came back and the teacher told us that it really happened and started describing it to us. I still didn't believe it until I got home and saw it on the news.
Incredibly, and I don't know if this was just a Midwestern thing or what, but over the next several weeks there were a lot of jokes about the Challenger disaster (example: NASA=Need Another Seven Astronauts) and particluarly at the expense of Christa McAuliffe. I remember thinking that it was terrible that people were joking about it yet at the same time I played along. 

Princess Diana:I saw it on TV at a bar. Didn't really affect me too much.

OKC bombing:I heard about it on the radio but didn't realize how bad it was until I saw some footage on TV a couple of days later. When I first saw what was left of the building, it immediately reminded me of scenes of buildings in Beirut that had been destroyed in a similar manner.

9/11:I had another trucking job at the time, and I was in Council Bluffs, IA (across the river from Omaha) when it started unfolding. I was just getting ready to leave out to Fort Dodge, IA to pick up a load when I heard on the radio that the first tower had collapsed, and it sent chills up my spine. I had no idea how many people had just died right then but I knew it had to have been in the thousands. As I was on my way to Ft. Dodge (which was about a 3 hour trip) I was listening to the radio and when I heard the Pentagon was hit, I began to try and somehow mentally prepare myself for the worst, even including the possibility of nuclear war. (I can't begin to imagine how scary it must have been to be in New York when it happened.) I actually had to tell myself to keep driving, that I still had a job to do. I didn't actually see any footage of it until about 9 pm that night, when I got home.

Written By: gemini61 on 04/03/05 at 3:00 pm

I do think that is weird, but that is why I did this thread because it seems that you can remember small details, exactly like what you are saying.  I think it is amazing how our minds can do that.

Yes, it is amazing. I remember tiny little details of things from when I was a kid for some strange reason.

Written By: Marian on 04/03/05 at 4:00 pm

???What's a chip shop?

Written By: danootaandme on 04/03/05 at 4:11 pm

???What's a chip shop?

A fish and chips shop.  England fast food.

Written By: Marian on 04/03/05 at 4:15 pm

A fish and chips shop.  England fast food.
Oh,ok.they have H.Salt in california.

Written By: chaka on 04/14/05 at 2:04 pm

When the twin towers were attacked,I was lying on my bed,listening to the radio and thats when I heard them saying that there was a huge hole in 1 of the WTCs and it had something to to with a plane crashing into it.
I thought:what on earth is going on and thats when I switched the Tv on and saw
what was happening...

Check for new replies or respond here...