inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Back to the Future" vs "Star Wars".

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/15/05 at 12:03 am

Inspired by the "Does it bother you" thread - just thought I'd ask who of us likes BTTF or Star Wars more.

Trilogies like this seem to be either a "love 'em or hate 'em" kinda thing - rarely is there the inbetween crowd. Personally, I never could get into Star Wars, even though I semi liked Episode 1.

Also feel free to give your thoughts on both here (hey, the BTTF-er in me can get into more discussions, and I can learn more about SW!).  :D

Subject: Re: "Back to the Future" vs "Star Wars".

Written By: Kenlos on 04/15/05 at 12:05 am

I will have to go with "Back To The Future" because I have never really been a fan of "Star Wars".  I have tried to watch "Star Wars" movies twice and fell asleep both times so I figured that was a pretty good sign that I wasn't a fan.

Written By: NbC on 04/15/05 at 3:07 am

Star Wars

Written By: Bobby on 04/15/05 at 3:08 am

Back to the future all the way!  :D

Written By: AngeliK on 04/15/05 at 6:31 am

Back to the Future

I was never a Star Wars fan....ever...Gimme Star Trek any day though!

Written By: sputnikcorp on 04/15/05 at 8:11 am

back to the future is not even good science. at least star wars is space opera, so i pick star wars.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 04/15/05 at 8:12 am

Yeah, BTTF for me as well, I always found Star Wars a tad....tedious  :o

Written By: ADH13 on 04/15/05 at 10:31 am

Back To The Future!

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 04/15/05 at 11:38 am

Star WARS!!!!!.......*due to my MAD obsession with it*

Back to the future was good too.

But boba fett perpetually stole my heart <3

~Beth :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/15/05 at 11:48 am

I voted both, but I have a tendency to like BTTF more.

Tanya

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/15/05 at 12:00 pm

I like both but chose Back To The Future 8)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 04/15/05 at 12:10 pm

I will have to go with "Back To The Future" because I have never really been a fan of "Star Wars".

Ditto.  :)

Written By: jackas on 04/15/05 at 12:46 pm

Back To The Future!  I get caught up watching it everytime it comes on TV.  I cannot do Star Wars........boring. :-\\

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/15/05 at 12:58 pm

Heathens!!!

From the opening credits of 'A New Hope' i was hooked.

I am the uber star wars geek or the surrounding area. Whenever somebody mentions it, i give them the full commentary, and usually see them running away about 12 minutes later.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 04/15/05 at 1:42 pm

^i'm the same. good thing all of my friends feel the same way. you know your a star wars geek when you can discuss imperial politics and foreign diplomacy all night with others of your kind.

you can't do that with BTTF.

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/15/05 at 1:45 pm

^i'm the same. good thing all of my friends feel the same way. you know your a star wars geek when you can discuss imperial politics and foreign diplomacy all night with others of your kind.

Bingo.

I once had a discussion for about an hour regarding the way 'The Corporate Sector' was becoming increasingly more like Imp Space.  ;D

Written By: jackas on 04/15/05 at 2:53 pm

you know your a star wars geek when you can discuss imperial politics and foreign diplomacy all night with others of your kind.

Dam, and I wanted to spend my whole night discussing BTTF. ;) ;D

Written By: Missionary on 04/15/05 at 3:24 pm

Most definatley BTTF! It is the only series that I can force myself to sit down and watch.

Written By: Apricot on 04/15/05 at 3:25 pm

Didn't like either, in retrospect. They were okay at the time, but I guess it woulda been Star Wars back in the day.

Written By: Missionary on 04/15/05 at 3:28 pm

Didn't like either, in retrospect. They were okay at the time, but I guess it woulda been Star Wars back in the day.

Well I have actually never saw Star Wars because it is one of those movies I think I could only watch 5 minutes of, before turning it off in complete boredum.

Written By: NullandVoid on 04/15/05 at 4:11 pm

Sorry but "Back to the Future" is more fun to watch. I thought Star wars was kinda cheesy.

Written By: pimpinsteelersfan on 04/15/05 at 6:01 pm

i had to say Star Wars because even though BTTF is good i just don't like to sit around and watch them.

Written By: shiprunner12 on 04/15/05 at 6:07 pm

Star Wars, in my opinion, is much better than Back to the Future.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 04/15/05 at 6:08 pm

Heathens!!!

From the opening credits of 'A New Hope' i was hooked.

I am the uber star wars geek or the surrounding area. Whenever somebody mentions it, i give them the full commentary, and usually see them running away about 12 minutes later.

SCORE ONE FOR THE GOOD GUYS!!!!!...*high five*

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/15/05 at 6:17 pm

i had to say Star Wars because even though BTTF is good i just don't like to sit around and watch them.

SCORE ONE FOR THE GOOD GUYS!!!!!...*high five*

Star Wars, in my opinion, is much better than Back to the Future.

Score 3 more

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 04/15/05 at 6:23 pm

Score 3 more

Woot! *dances*

Umm...back to the future = OLD MAN....wheres the fun in that?

STAR WARS = SLick lightsaber action, "The Force" usage....and for the love of god "BOBA FETT!!!!"

Now THAT should change your mind

~Beth

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/15/05 at 7:24 pm

Umm...back to the future = OLD MAN....wheres the fun in that?

Yeah, but Doc Brown ain't exactly your "typical" 65-year-old man!  ;D

In the first timeline - where George is a nerd, Biff is a bully, etc - I would assume Marty was happy to become friends with him (and really, despite their huge age difference, they did seem like actual good friends with each other), in part to get out of the house and away from his loser family as much as possible.

Maybe, since Doc was a scientist -- and hence, always working on inventions and stuff -- Marty, around 1980, might've become a helper of sorts to Doc, and that could be how they got to know each other (this actually has been suggested by writer Bob Gale as a possibiliy - and I tend to agree!).

Of course, in the 2nd timeline -- where George is cool and knocks out Biff -- Doc would have to befriend this Marty in 'cool 1980' to keep history on track! In fact, I wonder how that might've went. Could you see the following scene happening in, say 1974 of the "cool George" timeline:

LITTLE MARTY: Dad, this weird old man won't leave me alone here!
DOC: But Marty, if we don't meet and become friends, it could be potentially damaging to the space-time continuum!
LITTLE MARTY: Daaaaad!!!  ;D

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/15/05 at 7:35 pm

I like both. :)

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 04/15/05 at 7:36 pm

I like both. :)

BOTH?!?!?

I don't think that was the question there, SKIPPY!

chose or you will pay....IN BLOOD!

~Beth

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/15/05 at 7:37 pm

Is that a challenge?

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 04/15/05 at 7:41 pm

Does crap smell?

*sits back and acts tough*

~Beth

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/15/05 at 7:42 pm

You aren't so tough. I bet you aren't tough at all.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 04/15/05 at 7:44 pm

You aren't so tough. I bet you aren't tough at all.

Don't make checks that your mouth can't pay for bucko

*sits back...again and acts tough*

~Beth

Written By: C.NOIZE on 04/15/05 at 9:41 pm

I voted BTTF.  I never really got Star Wars.  BTTF, though, is the best movie since Safety Last! with Harold Lloyd.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 04/16/05 at 9:39 am

ask this question on a gamer forum and see the flames fired at BTTF.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/16/05 at 9:46 am

ask this question on a gamer forum and see the flames fired at BTTF.

That's cool - to each his own, LOL.

As far as illogical though - ask me anything time-travel related for the BTTF's, and I promise I'll find a way to work it out! ;)

Written By: sputnikcorp on 04/16/05 at 10:37 am

That's cool - to each his own, LOL.

As far as illogical though - ask me anything time-travel related for the BTTF's, and I promise I'll find a way to work it out! ;)

BTTF creates a mobius strip, a continous trap in time, an indefinite loop where time keeps repeating itself. so, one can't go back in time and change the past because the present already happened. if you could go back in time, every concieavable coincidence would pop up to stop you from changing the past.

a more plausible time travel story (and theoretically possible) is that going back in time creates a seperate quantum reality from the time you came from. you can back in time, kill hitler before WW2 and you create a universe where hitler never caused the war but the time and universe where you came from, hitler still existed and WW2 happened.... :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/16/05 at 11:32 am

Cool, I always love a good debate. :)

BTTF creates a mobius strip, a continous trap in time, an indefinite loop where time keeps repeating itself. so, one can't go back in time and change the past because the present already happened. if you could go back in time, every concieavable coincidence would pop up to stop you from changing the past.

Ah, interesting, but I slightly disagree based on what we see on-screen.

BTTF's universe does indeed operate (also according to Bob Gale & Robert Zemeckis) on a 'changeable timeline'. At the beginning, George is a grown-up nerd who gets pushed around by Biff since at least high school. Lorraine is depressed and Marty's siblings are losers.

In this original 1955 -- as Lorraine recounts at the dinner table -- she met George when her dad hit him with the car. There obviously was no Marty in this version of history.

At the end of Part 1 though, we do see the 'new' 1985 where George stood up to Biff and the family is much better off. This was a result of Marty's actions and presence in 1955.

However, Bill & Ted operates on the kind of timeline you described - a "fixed" history where something always happened (it's much easier to figure out that way, but also way less fun - assuming it were real, LOL!!). So even when Bill & Ted are 8 years old, there would still be a history of Napolean and everyone else having visited San Dimas, then being returned to their home times.

As for why there was no known mention of this? Maybe they thought it was all a dream. Maybe they never told anybody, could be a number of reasons

a more plausible time travel story (and theoretically possible) is that going back in time creates a seperate quantum reality from the time you came from. you can back in time, kill hitler before WW2 and you create a universe where hitler never caused the war but the time and universe where you came from, hitler still existed and WW2 happened.... :)

I like the parallel universe theory - much more sci-fi. Although it beats the heck outta me as to how it would work (i.e. if there are parallel universes out there, how do you get from one to the other?).

Written By: Jennifer028 on 04/19/05 at 11:38 am

Back to the future

Written By: annimal on 07/30/18 at 1:23 pm

Star Wars is a long series of movies and after you've seen them all then you don't really want to see them any more

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/11/18 at 8:20 am

Back To The Future seems more believable.

Subject: "Back to the Future" vs "Star Wars".

Written By: Dude111 on 09/13/18 at 7:25 pm

Star Wars is a long series of movies and after you've seen them all then you don't really want to see them any more

Hmmmmm Annimal... Star wars to me is just 3 movies and they are just as enjoyable everytime as when I first viewed them :)

Check for new replies or respond here...