inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What states make up the US West?

Written By: DevoRule on 04/16/05 at 4:12 pm

I'd say Option 3.  I think of Montana and Wyoming as more Midwestern, although they are historically Western, and Hawaii its own place.  Alaska counts imo.

Subject: Re: What states make up the US West?

Written By: jackas on 04/16/05 at 6:49 pm

I always thinks of the west as California, Arizona, Neveda, Utah, Oregon, Washington, and Idaho.

Written By: DevoRule on 04/16/05 at 10:04 pm

I always thinks of the west as California, Arizona, Neveda, Utah, Oregon, Washington, and Idaho.

I'd add Colorado and New Mexico too, although eastern CO could slide in as Midwestern.  I also think that southwestern Wyoming and the bit of Montana west of the Continental divide are Western.  But in general, Montana and Wyoming I see more as Midwestern because of their similarities to the Dakotas.

Written By: Apricot on 04/16/05 at 10:08 pm

All the West Coast states {as in those who TOUCH the coast}, and maybe the neighbors. We talkin' Idaho, Nevada, New Mexico, even Arizona and Utah and that other one.. Montana, I think.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/16/05 at 10:20 pm

Good question, since I've always liked Geography. :)

I'd definitely say (besides, of course, the west coast states -- Washington, Oregon, Calif) Montana, Nevada, Arizona count. Utah seems alot more Nevada-ish than midwestern, so that counts too.

In fact, anything west of - or including - the rockies is still western to me. Colorado could go either way, but I always thought of it as borderline west. Kansas - which borders it to the east - is definitely midwest (big farmland, smaller towns and the like). Actually, east Colorado is pretty much the same as Kansas, whereas Denver and everything west of there in Colorado is closer to a Nevada/Utah feel.

The rockies also run through western Colorado, I believe.

Actually, I'd even say the interstate (70 I think?) that runs through Colorado north and south -- and passes Denver -- could be the line between west and midwest.

Remember the line in Dumb & Dumber when Harry & Lloyd accidentally make a wrong turn near the Col state line and head east? "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."  ;D

Written By: Apricot on 04/16/05 at 10:27 pm

Whoops, forgot to vote. Here we go.

Check for new replies or respond here...