inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Have you ever won anything? Lottery, sweepstakes etc. . . .

Written By: gemini61 on 04/21/05 at 5:21 pm

I won a 100.00 shopping spree at a grocery store and random little winnings on instant lottery tickets and an Elton John C.D. for calling in on a radio station. I'd love to win the Mega Millions Lottery Jackpot tomorrow for $205 million.  :o 

Subject: Re: Have you ever won anything? Lottery, sweepstakes etc. . . .

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/21/05 at 5:36 pm

I'm sure we would all love you to win $205 Million.. *cough*Harvard*cough*

I have won £10 twice on the national lottery, I have won numerous bets at the Bookmakers, the biggest of which was £150 when i put a Tenner on Frank Lampard to score Englands first Euro 2004 goal at 14/1 (You get your origional stake back as well)

Written By: gemini61 on 04/21/05 at 5:41 pm

I'm sure we would all love you to win $205 Million.. *cough*Harvard*cough*

I have won £10 twice on the national lottery, I have won numerous bets at the Bookmakers, the biggest of which was £150 when i put a Tenner on Frank Lampard to score Englands first Euro 2004 goal at 14/1 (You get your origional stake back as well)

I'm sure I'd have alot of new friends!! Sounds like you're quite the winner!  :)

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/21/05 at 5:42 pm

I'm sure I'd have alot of new friends!! Sounds like you're quite the winner!  :)

Hehe.. I wish. If you gamble at the bookmakers.. you ALWAYS lose more than you win.

Written By: ADH13 on 04/21/05 at 5:44 pm

I've won a couple of contests for writing.

I've also won a couple jackpots on slot machines in Reno.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/21/05 at 6:06 pm

I had small winners on scratch tickets. I think the highest was $100. I once won $300 in a slot machine in Vegas several years ago and I won a door (as in a door prize)  ;) Actually it was a bar light that I sold to someone for $20.

Carlos, on the other hand, won $750 on Let It Ride at Foxwoods. He got 4 of a kind. If he played the bonus, he would have won $1000 more.  :o He plays the bonus all the time, now.

Cat

Written By: MooRocca on 04/21/05 at 6:48 pm

I've won a few odds and ends, here and there, nothing all that big.  The most cash I've ever won was $88 on the lotto.  It's also the only time I've ever won anything playing lotto numbers... and I've been playing for as long as I've been old enough, which is a very long time.

I once got on a such a roll with winning small cash prizes s playing instant lottery tickets (first ticket cost $2, I won $20 - pocketed $10 and bought $10 worth of tickets)  that the "halvsies" I was pocketing paid mine and my husband's way to a Who concert and back... including tickets, souvenirs, drinks at the venue, meals there & back and  a nice hotel room. 

One of my bigger wins (probably my biggest) did get mentioned on television fairly recently -- I didn't see it, but several family members did.  It was some sort of foods program and all or part of it had a focus on Reeses Peanut Butter Cups -- they mentioned that an Illinois woman had recently won her choice of a really cool skateboard or snowboard package and chose the skateboard package -- that unnamed Illinois woman was me.  :) 

Written By: Dagwood on 04/21/05 at 8:12 pm

A couple of records (yes, actual records ;) ) from a radio station when I was a kid.  $100 from a radio station a couple of years ago.l  $12 on a scratch off lottery ticket.  Toss me on the list of those who would love to win the $205 million tomorrow.

Written By: NullandVoid on 04/21/05 at 8:19 pm

I won a Walkman from from Sony back when they were cool.
I remember my mom once swept an expo at Jacob JAvits center.
She won EVERY SINGLE RAFFLE they were giving. It almost started a riot because people thought it was fixed.
We went home with a TV, VCR(DVD's weren't out yet). Kitchen aid appliances, the whole Disney library, a $500 certificate to sam goody to name a few.

I surprised they didn't put her on the news, that was an amazing case of luck!

Written By: sputnikcorp on 04/21/05 at 8:27 pm

i never gamble but i have won a short story contest and i once won a best sportsman award for a warhammer40k tourney. got about 50 dollars worth of free merchandise with that award too..meh.

Written By: whitewolf on 04/21/05 at 8:29 pm

The most I have ever won was 600 at bingo. I win at the exhibition in cooking contests and
every year we have a contest for largest outdoor flowers and gardens, I won the last two years for having the tallest sunflowers (first year 9.5 feet, second year over 10 feet tall)

Written By: Red Ant on 04/21/05 at 10:10 pm

The biggest monetary winning I have ever received was when I was collecting coins and " signed up " for a raffle at the coin shop. They had the drawing on the night I signed up. I won over $150 in silver bars ( bullion weight ). Not bad for a 11 year old. :)

Written By: gemini61 on 04/22/05 at 4:42 am

Cool, everyone!  8)  And Dagwood, Good luck on the $205 million! At work, we have a lottery pool, where 2.00 a week comes out of our check to play mega millions, so hopefully I'll wake up a millionaire saturday morning!  :D 

Written By: Gis on 04/22/05 at 5:02 am

I've won a few puonds here and there on scratch cards the most was £20. I won a cd in a radio competion in Canada when I was in the U.K which freaked them out a bit ! (My friend who lived there had entered me). The bigest win I ever had was third place in a jewellery designing competition in Cosmo magazine.They made my design up and I got to keep it.

Written By: karen on 04/22/05 at 5:21 am

I was in a couple of lottery syndicates at work when the lottery first started here.  One of them won about £100 but split 10 ways.  The other one had a bigger win about £2,000 but split 20 ways!  We also won the odd tenner here and there which we either bought scratch cards or saved up to have a free week or two.

We always used to run a sweep for the Grand National and I have won that (or second, third whatever) once or twice.

The bigest win I ever had was third place in a jewellery designing competition in Cosmo magazine.They made my design up and I got to keep it.

that sounds really cool Gis

Written By: gemini61 on 04/22/05 at 5:25 am

The bigest win I ever had was third place in a jewellery designing competition in Cosmo magazine.They made my design up and I got to keep it.

Wow, that's cool!  8) 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/22/05 at 9:40 am

A couple of records (yes, actual records ;) ) from a radio station when I was a kid.  $100 from a radio station a couple of years ago.l  $12 on a scratch off lottery ticket.  Toss me on the list of those who would love to win the $205 million tomorrow.

Oh, I forgot about the record I won-also from a radio station. I also won a tire rotation in a raffle.

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/22/05 at 9:48 am

I won nearly $500.00 on a radio station contest.....and I put it towards my wedding dress at the time.....I've placed in writing contests, won a few scratch off tickets ($20 being the highest)....and last year at my family reunion...I kept winning raffles! LOL!

Erin :)

Written By: gemini61 on 04/22/05 at 4:13 pm

Oh, I forgot about the record I won-also from a radio station. I also won a tire rotation in a raffle.

Cat

I could've used the tire rotation a couple months ago!  :) 

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 04/22/05 at 5:18 pm

I won a 5 foot bear when I was in first grade. Other than that...I've been unlucky.

~Beth

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/22/05 at 5:23 pm

I won a 5 foot bear when I was in first grade. Other than that...I've been unlucky.

A 5 foot bear at like 5 years old.. how could that not be traumatising. ;D

My friend Chris's mother does all this charity crap, and anyway, she did some Teddy Bear raffle thing. Anyway they got a bear that must have been about 120LBs and was huge.. it fell on Chris. This was when he was about 7.

If that's not a warping experience i don't know what is.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 04/22/05 at 5:45 pm

A 5 foot bear at like 5 years old.. how could that not be traumatising. ;D

My friend Chris's mother does all this charity crap, and anyway, she did some Teddy Bear raffle thing. Anyway they got a bear that must have been about 120LBs and was huge.. it fell on Chris. This was when he was about 7.

If that's not a warping experience i don't know what is.

Thats actually really funny  ;D ;D

~Beth

Written By: NullandVoid on 04/22/05 at 6:27 pm

i just entered the New York Mega-Millions for the first time in my life. Here's hoping!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/22/05 at 6:29 pm

i just entered the New York Mega-Millions for the first time in my life. Here's hoping!

My fingers are crossed for you.

Cat

Written By: Kenlos on 04/22/05 at 7:20 pm

I won a video games (I think it was Daytona USA)  several years back for the computer from a skittles wrapper, but I never collected on it.

Written By: Billy Florio on 04/22/05 at 7:33 pm

I just won re-election for the position of Chief Justice on my college's Student Government Association (SGA) Judicial Panal (an equivlant of the Supreme Court, only we get elected).....the cool thing is, of all the people up for every position on the ballot (President, VP, Senators, other justices, etc), i got more votes than ANYONE ELSE ON THE BALLOT!  (with the exception of one of the presidential tickets, which got 50 more votes than me).....I got more votes than every senator, 2 presidential/Vp tickets and the other justices......I cant beleive I did that lol

Written By: ktelqueen on 04/22/05 at 10:51 pm

i used to win stuff off of the radio all the time when i was younger..the best was an unlimited 4 month pass to the movies for two..otherwise,lottery winnings would be $2300 last year..woowoo.. :)

Written By: whistledog on 10/01/06 at 7:20 pm

When I was in High School, I won an Signature Wayne Gretzky Los Angeles Kings Jersey from the local "Hasty Market" Convenience Store.

Written By: loki 13 on 10/01/06 at 8:58 pm

Wow this is an old one. Anyway, I went to Delaware Park one day and decided to use my birthday as
an exacta box, for those who don't know an exacta is the 1st and 2nd place horse, I play a three horse
box so I told the girl I wanted a 413 exacta box, meaning 4-1-3, she gave me 4-13 so I bet it again
and added the 3. The winning order was 13-3-4 and I won 400 dollars. When I cashed the ticket I was
told I have to go to the IRS window for payment. I was puzzled until I found out she thought I had the
trifecta. I had the three horses but didn't play a trifecta, that hit 5,765 dollars. I had it and didn't play it.
Oh well, my luck.

Written By: DJ Midas on 10/01/06 at 9:37 pm

I won a BMX bike in 2nd grade from Stride Rite.  I also won some tickets to a show at an NC bar/club From G105-Raleigh (aka G1MoreTime) for naming 3 Howard Jones hits about 5 years ago.  The G1MoreTime DJ was a bitch and I didn't go in to collect them as I was DJing in Durham that night...I figured getting paid $200 to have fun was more worth my time than a free local show.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/01/06 at 9:47 pm

When I was in elementary school, I won the Geography Bee every year from 4th grade to 8th grade.

That's about it.

Written By: nally on 10/01/06 at 10:17 pm

I haven't won anything of this nature, but my mom did once. Last year, she won tickets from a radio station for Magic Mountain, and for a Dodger game. My dad and I went to the game.

Written By: Howard on 10/02/06 at 4:02 pm

I haven't lately but I want to buy as many scratch off lottery tickets as possible.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/02/06 at 4:15 pm

I won some nominal rewards for lottery scratchers. The largest, though, was for $50. I also won 1st place in my 4th grade Science Fair. In 3rd grade, I won a pumpkin decorating contest.

Written By: nally on 10/03/06 at 10:11 am

[quote author=

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/03/06 at 12:23 pm

That's wonderful, beth. O0 Speaking of Bees, I was in a spelling bee every year from 1st grade to 4th grade (including two in 2nd grade), and I won four out of the five. The only spelling bee I didn't win was when I was in 3rd grade. That one was held at a shopping mall, in the evening, and there were 140 kids in it (from schools all over the Los Angeles area). So I had to wait a long time to spell my words. I bailed out when I was asked to spell "celebrity"; at the time I wasn't 100% sure of the correct spelling. Plus, I was getting tired by then, so it was probably a good idea that I quit.

You both did very well!  :) I just remembered I was in a 4th grade spelling bee. I won with my class, but once I went against other kids in the regional, I mispelled the very first word they gave me. It was probably due to anxiety, but I was happy I got that far.  :) Probably one accomplishment where I never won a prize was actually getting into choir in 6th grade. I loved singing and was so surprised she passed me.

Written By: La Roche on 10/03/06 at 12:27 pm

I won the $250 pool by betting on the Steelers to win the superbowl.

Written By: Howard on 10/03/06 at 1:06 pm

I've won bowling trophies.1st place,3rd place and excellent participation

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/03/06 at 1:08 pm

I've won bowling trophies.1st place,3rd place and excellent participation

Wow, that's good, Howard!  ;)

Written By: Howard on 10/03/06 at 1:13 pm

Wow, that's good, Howard!  ;)

I've given up bowling leagues cause it's too much competition and I wound up with a strained hamstring and after it healed I didn't do so well so I said the hell with it and said goodbye but I'll bowl once in a while but not all the time,I let my bowling ball retire.

Written By: nally on 10/03/06 at 2:51 pm

You both did very well!  :) I just remembered I was in a 4th grade spelling bee. I won with my class, but once I went against other kids in the regional, I mispelled the very first word they gave me. It was probably due to anxiety, but I was happy I got that far.  :) Probably one accomplishment where I never won a prize was actually getting into choir in 6th grade. I loved singing and was so surprised she passed me.

you also misspelled "misspelled"...tee hee ;D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/03/06 at 2:57 pm

See..  ;D How did I ever get in a spelling bee, I'll never know  ::)

Written By: Howard on 10/03/06 at 3:03 pm

I'm hoping to win the lottery

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/03/06 at 5:24 pm

Wow.

Written By: La Roche on 10/03/06 at 5:28 pm

[quote author=

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/03/06 at 5:35 pm

^ and ^^

What do these "wows" mean?  I would just like to know, since I was the spelling offender.

Written By: mugg on 10/03/06 at 5:36 pm

I've given up bowling leagues cause it's too much competition and I wound up with a strained hamstring and after it healed I didn't do so well so I said the hell with it and said goodbye but I'll bowl once in a while but not all the time,I let my bowling ball retire.

so now you have 3 balls in retirement  ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/03/06 at 5:40 pm

^ and ^^

What do these "wows" mean?  I would just like to know, since I was the spelling offender.

I thought it was just slightly lame that he mentioned you misspelled a word and then went "tee-hee".  It just sounds smarmy to me.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/03/06 at 5:42 pm

[quote author=

Written By: La Roche on 10/03/06 at 5:45 pm

Thanks, I actually appreciate that - as I sort of felt the same way. 

As a mongolid in the world of spelling, I feel the same way. I don't need my numerous mistakes pointing out to me. I struggle to spell things right.. what with all the blows to the head and such like.

Written By: mugg on 10/03/06 at 5:47 pm

As a mongolid in the world of spelling, I feel the same way. I don't need my numerous mistakes pointing out to me. I struggle to spell things right.. what with all the blows to the head and such like.

you really know you have spelled something bad when spell check can't even figure it out

Written By: Roadgeek on 10/03/06 at 5:53 pm

About a year and a half ago, I won a 17 inch Dell LCD TV.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/03/06 at 5:59 pm

Yes, and to be honest, I know I shouldn't be at work writing on here but sometimes I get easily distracted and even if it were a typo, (for instance, forgetting the extra "s" in misspelled is a fair mistake on anyone's part), I know it's not because of my poor spelling. We're human, you know.  ;D

Written By: La Roche on 10/03/06 at 6:03 pm

you really know you have spelled something bad when spell check can't even figure it out

Exactly. Or gives you suggestions like Viral Infection when you wanted to say massive erection.

Yes, and to be honest, I know I shouldn't be at work writing on here but sometimes I get easily distracted and even if it were a typo, (for instance, forgetting the extra "s" in misspelled is a fair mistake on anyone's part), I know it's not because of my poor spelling. We're human, you know.  ;D

Well.. you're human.. I'm a few steps away.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/03/06 at 6:10 pm

Exactly. Or gives you suggestions like Viral Infection when you wanted to say massive erection.

Well.. you're human.. I'm a few steps away.

You're immortal at this point - that's why you can withstand all those blows to the head and make it to work and act very gentlemanly  ;D

Written By: La Roche on 10/06/06 at 5:39 am

You're immortal at this point - that's why you can withstand all those blows to the head and make it to work and act very gentlemanly  ;D

Right, I'll remember that the next time I'm falling down the stairs.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/06/06 at 6:17 am

I once won $5000 in the daily lottery.  I had given notice on my job the week before because the new boss had gotten to be such a d*ck head.  I didn't know what I was going to do.  I went to the grocery store, bought was more stuff than I ususally do, and played the total bill.  The next day at work I checked the number!!!  The d*ckhead was in a dither because he thought I would walk out on him then and there before he could find someone to replace me.  I didn't do that, but I told him if they didn't find someone within the next week I would continue working on as a "consultant" at double the money.  It took them a month to find and train a replacement.    ;D 

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/07/06 at 1:52 am

I have won money on the lottery, but nothing significant to change a life style.

Written By: GREEN67 on 10/07/06 at 10:17 am

::) I have won several Instant win prizes off of the net..A Post-it 25th anniversary t-shirt, Slim Jim hat, Hersheys Syrup hat, 2 full size bottles of Jergens lotion, Kids Tommy Hilfiger shoes, .....My uncle won over 17,000 dollars at the casino once..that was cool

Written By: Howard on 10/09/06 at 5:59 pm

I'm hoping to win the lottery

Check for new replies or respond here...