inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Daily Charities

Written By: danootaandme on 04/25/05 at 6:02 am

I would like to know what people do in small ways for charity.  I give to charities, but there are things
I can do in everyday life to give, too.  I never leave the supermarket without buying something by Paul
Newmans "Newmans Own" label.  The money goes to his "Hole in the Wall"  camp for children with
cancer.  A friend who has a child with cancer was able to send her daughter there and it is absolutely
free.  Anyone else have a thing that they do?

Subject: Re: Daily Charities

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/25/05 at 9:18 am

Here is a site I go to everyday (and I hope others do too).  http://www.thehungersite.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/CTDSites  And I also go to the other ones that are linked to it. It only takes a few seconds (even with my stupid dial-up connection).

I used to give a lot of my time to our local food shelf (I was Food Shelf Coordinator) and served on the board of directors of the orginazation that runs it,  but unfortuately, the people who run are basically snobs and I got really tired of dealing with their b.s. so I quit-which I feel a bit guilty about because I truly believe in the cause. Maybe after some of those people leave, I may go back.

But now, I do give to firefighters, and Mercy Corps. A friend of mine just lost her mother to cancer and she has started up a "Race for the Cure" team and I am on her team.

Cat

Written By: Apricot on 04/25/05 at 1:08 pm

Uh... well, all I really do is donate to those donation things at the malls and such. But I always make sure to donate. ALWAYS.

So, uh, that kinda counts..

Written By: Kenlos on 04/25/05 at 1:46 pm

Not sure if this counts or not but in the past I have been a Mentor and currently twice a week I tutor at one of the local middle schools here in Asheville.  Though it is not giving money or anything like that it is still helping out the community in a way.

Written By: NullandVoid on 04/25/05 at 1:52 pm

Financially I can't really afford to be giving away my cash but I have and still do donate my time.

I have been an activist and volunteer for Project Reach on and off since 1995.
It's a youth drop in center, that educates kids in social awareness. I practically grew up in this place.

I also use the computers in the center to talk you guys. (I don't own one)

Here's the website:http://www.projectreachnyc.org/

This place means ALOT to me.

Written By: Marian on 04/25/05 at 2:22 pm

Uh... well, all I really do is donate to those donation things at the malls and such. But I always make sure to donate. ALWAYS.

So, uh, that kinda counts..
I never donate to those because I don't really know how legit they are.But lots of times I get out something i haven't worn in a while and put it on,and if it's too out of style or ugly,I donate it to Discovery Shop.

Written By: danootaandme on 04/25/05 at 4:04 pm

I'm talking little things though.  Like I buy Newmans Own (coffee, lemonade, etc) when I go into the supermarket.  I am careful about how I give since I did work for a short stint at the Attorney Generals
Office of Public Charities and know how people steal in the name of charity.  It seems to me there
are small things people can do everyday like buying stamps for breast cancer and buying Newmans Own.
Whenever I have a fine at the library, which is often,  always never take change, always giving more than
the fine. I think if people did little things like that it could add up significantly.  It's the little things.

Check for new replies or respond here...