inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Need Some Advice about a Car Donation

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/26/05 at 12:17 pm

I have finally decided that it is time to get rid of my old car.  :\'( I have many mixed emotions about it but I haven't driven it in many years. At Carlos suggestion, I decided to donate it. So now I am looking for an organization that accepts car donations. She does run but needs work (and probably needs a new battery among other things) and the body has some rust on it. I have been doing some research on agencies that take car donations and so far, only one meets my criteria-The Kidney Foundation.  Does anyone have any other suggestions who to donate it to? ALL suggestions will be looked into to see if they meet my criteria, if they will take my car, etc. etc.

Thanks!

Cat

Subject: Re: Need Some Advice about a Car Donation

Written By: gemini61 on 04/26/05 at 12:49 pm

I know that the Vocational School in my area takes donations for the kids to learn on in their auto repair class. Or, check out this link.        http://www.sightquest.com/free-stuff/donate-cars-31266.htm

Written By: MooRocca on 04/26/05 at 12:51 pm

Our local highschool, in conjunction with local police, fire & ambulance, has had an "Operation Prom" program, every spring (the last few years, it's also been co-ordinated with MADD) that involves a demonstration of a drunk driving accident.  The car is always donated -- be aware, it is also destroyed in the demonstration.  My first car had the honor of being the first car ever used in our high school's program -- they guy who bought from me donated it to them... and my oldest daughter was the student co-ordinator, last year.   Anyway, you might call around to the local highschools, police/fire departments and your local/area MADD chapter to see whether any of them use donated vehicles for similar programs.

Also, if your local highschool(s) have an auto shop program, those programs are usually desperate for donated vehicles to work on and most prefer older vehicles for teaching the basics of engine/transmission design & repair.  

You might also check with your local DOVE (Domestic Violence Shelter program) office to see if they would accept a donated vehicle... a lot of the women they shelter leave with nothing but their kids and the clothes on their backs and a car to get to a job might make a huge difference for one of those families.  

Any charity you know of that holds an annual fund-raising auction or garage sale of other donated items might also be interested... a car is likely to bring a better price than an old pair of jeans or a knick knack.  :)  

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/26/05 at 11:26 pm

hey cat....

i know in our area (in PA) we have Goodwill auctions.....the Goodwill stores take donated cars and they give you a receipt for tax purposes....then they fix it up and end up selling it via the Goodwill auctions....I don't know if you have any Goodwill stores in your area..but if you do, I would maybe give them a call and see what they can do for you.

Erin :)

Written By: duranchick on 04/27/05 at 8:07 am

The Purple Heart also takes car donations and gives you a receipt for taxes.  They fix up the cars and give them to veterans in need.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/27/05 at 10:45 am

Thanks for all your input. The tax writeoff isn't a problem. Anywhere I donate I will get that so it isn't a concern. If you have any more ideas, I am open to them.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...