inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: For the ladies..

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/27/05 at 9:41 pm

What makes a man handsome or attractive?

I was on imdb.com, reading Tom Cruise's biography, and it stated he wasn't considered handsome "in the traditional sense". What do they mean?

What makes Mr.Cruise so appealing, for example?

Subject: Re: For the ladies..

Written By: Everlong on 04/27/05 at 11:14 pm

People with features that are almost symmetrical are considered to be attractive- they say Sharon Stone's face is nearly perfectly symmetrical O_O.

Written By: Jennifer028 on 04/27/05 at 11:18 pm

Tom Cruise isnt one of my favorites...maybe people like him because he is charming...I think his nose is rather big so maybe thats what they mean by not being traditionally handsome, I dunno.

Now Kevin Costner on the other hand...he is BEAUTIFUL  ::)

I think a person's attitude, personality, humor, smile, etc..makes them handsome.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/27/05 at 11:19 pm

hey alex...

I will have to say that I do not think that Tom Cruise...Brad Pitt....and other types that are typically thought of as "pretty boys" are handsome....in all honesty...I don't know what people see in them... I don't find them attractive at all. I have always been attracted to the type of guy that is NOT typically attractive (according to the general public)....what I tend to find most attractive is their personality, sense of humor, how well I relate to them...what kind of connection I have with them..etc..

But.....as far as "entertainers".....the ones that I am attracted to the most are: Rob Schneider (Duece Bigelow), Jack Black, Ben Stiller, Mark Ruffalo (13 going on 30 guy), Adrian Brody.......and let's face it...none of them, I believe have been on the "50 most beautiful people" list....but I find them very attractive....

To each his own

Erin :)

Written By: Jennifer028 on 04/27/05 at 11:24 pm

Mark Ruffalo-I agree he was a cutie

Written By: Everlong on 04/27/05 at 11:25 pm

I don't really find Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt attractive either.  Physically, I think guys with great bone structure and interesting noses are interesting :).  I can't really think of any modern examples, but I think Pete Townshend, in the 70s, was very attractive.  I also think Orlando Bloom is pretty, even though he's a pretty awful actor...

Written By: Miss Tainted on 04/27/05 at 11:26 pm

What makes a man handsome or attractive?

I was on imdb.com, reading Tom Cruise's biography, and it stated he wasn't considered handsome "in the traditional sense". What do they mean?

What makes Mr.Cruise so appealing, for example?

I always hated Tom Cruise, I don't know why but I just never liked him.

I like guys that are tall and funny... That's about it, dark hair and light eyes are always a plus though. :) But I guess you shouldn't listen to me, all the guys I like usually creep people out or get made fun of whenever I show somebody a picture of them.... :-[ And J-rockers are always a favorite of mine even though they really don't fit what I just described heh....   ::)

Written By: Gis on 04/28/05 at 1:37 am

I agree with the general concensus so far.I have never found Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt attractive though I guess Brad had a certain something in Interview with the Vampire ! I can see what other people see in them though even if I don't find it attractive. I do lust after Orlando Bloom in Lord of the Rings, though in real life he is almost too pretty. I do get attracted to good looks but having learnt the lesson that good looking doesn't always equal nice person or intelligent person the hard way personality usually takes over.Also taste is a very unique thing, it has to be or we would all run round after the same person and mankind would die out !
I think people like Alan Rickman or John Malkovich are prime examples of personality and charisma being attractive rather than looks.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 04/28/05 at 1:57 pm

hey alex...

I will have to say that I do not think that Tom Cruise...Brad Pitt....and other types that are typically thought of as "pretty boys" are handsome....in all honesty...I don't know what people see in them... I don't find them attractive at all. I have always been attracted to the type of guy that is NOT typically attractive (according to the general public)....what I tend to find most attractive is their personality, sense of humor, how well I relate to them...what kind of connection I have with them..etc..

But.....as far as "entertainers".....the ones that I am attracted to the most are: Rob Schneider (Duece Bigelow), Jack Black, Ben Stiller, Mark Ruffalo (13 going on 30 guy), Adrian Brody.......and let's face it...none of them, I believe have been on the "50 most beautiful people" list....but I find them very attractive....

To each his own

Absolutely.

I don't think Tom Cruise is attractive at all...nor Brad Pitt. Everyone has their own style, you can't really go by Hollywoods definition of "Hott". Mainly because Hollywood is about as fake and stereotypical as you can get.

and BTW...Mark ruffalo should be on the 50 most beautiful list.

~Beth :)

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/28/05 at 4:00 pm

Anything else?

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/28/05 at 4:01 pm

Jack Black

Well Hello there... ;) ;) ;D

I've been informed i am a ringer for JB

Written By: Sugafairey on 04/28/05 at 4:16 pm

Hmm, Tom Cruise? He's too generic for me, really.

Apparently I have odd taste in men though, so don't ask me!!

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/28/05 at 4:33 pm

Hmm, Tom Cruise? He's too generic for me, really.

Apparently I have odd taste in men though, so don't ask me!!

No no, please tell us what entertainers(if any) you find attractive.

And in general, what makes a man attractive to you? I am curious.

Written By: Sugafairey on 04/28/05 at 4:50 pm

No no, please tell us what entertainers(if any) you find attractive.

And in general, what makes a man attractive to you? I am curious.

Well, I like John Malkovich, a large part of the attraction is that he is hugely talented, which in turn makes him sexy. I also like Simon Pegg, there is something about him that is really sexy, and he is really funny - he just seems like a nice bloke in general and he seems as though he'd be brilliant to spend time with. I like Macaulay Culkin, as he is now, not when he was a kid - he annoyed me then. He seems confused and kind of embarrased by his fame which is endearing, i guess.

Told you I had odd taste...

Written By: NullandVoid on 04/28/05 at 4:57 pm

Honetly I don't find Tom Cruise that attractive. His face looks a bit weird to me and his smile is too white, which bugs me out.

I usually go for guys that have beautiful smiles(not bleached white mind you, just nice). Once the smile catches my attention, the sense of humor will make me stay no matter how he looks.
From there the physical really takes a back burner, I will give any guy the benefit of the doubt.

Small Correction: A short guy will turn my head faster than a tall one. Being a person who's 5'2, it's nice to look into my guy's eyes and kiss him without getting a neck cramp. ;D That doesn't mean that I will exclude tall guys altogether. My last guy was so tall that when i hugged him my head rested comfortably between his um...pecs. It was a little weird, but hey I liked him until...until he went nuts :P

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/28/05 at 4:58 pm

Well, I like John Malkovich, a large part of the attraction is that he is hugely talented, which in turn makes him sexy. I also like Simon Pegg, there is something about him that is really sexy, and he is really funny - he just seems like a nice bloke in general and he seems as though he'd be brilliant to spend time with. I like Macaulay Culkin, as he is now, not when he was a kid - he annoyed me then. He seems confused and kind of embarrased by his fame which is endearing, i guess.

Told you I had odd taste...

Hmm, every person is different. Ironic about John Malkovich though, because we were watching "Of Mice And Men" in class today(which stars Malkovich as "Lennie" and Gary Sinise as "George"), and several girls in class commented that Gary Sinise "is so hot" and one lone girl(named Mary) said that she thought Malkovich was attractive and they were all like "Oh Mary you are so strange". Oops. That doesn't help you to feel better, now does it?

;D

Anyway, I think its a lot more inspired.

I do have one HUGE crush on a celebrity myself(if you are going to elaborate on this, I might as well have to), Natalie Portman. I rented and watched the film "Garden State" Monday. Its a WONDERFUL film, love. Natalie Portman is exactly the kind of girl I like in that film.

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/28/05 at 4:59 pm

Honetly I don't find Tom Cruise that attractive. His face looks a bit weird to me and his smile is too white, which bugs me out.

I usually go for guys that have beautiful smiles(not bleached white mind you, just nice). Once the smile catches my attention, the sense of humor will make me stay no matter how he looks.
From there the physical really takes a back burner, I will give any guy the benefit of the doubt.

Small Correction: A short guy will turn my head faster than a tall one. Being a person who's 5'2, it's nice to look into my guy's eyes and kiss him without getting a neck cramp. ;D That doesn't mean that I will exclude tall guys altogether. My last guy was so tall that when i hugged him my head rested comfortably between his um...pecs. It was a little weird, but hey I liked him until...until he went nuts :P

You are cool in my book then. ;)

I'm 5'7".

Written By: Sugafairey on 04/28/05 at 5:02 pm

Hmm, every person is different. Ironic about John Malkovich though, because we were watching "Of Mice And Men" in class today(which stars Malkovich as "Lennie" and Gary Sinise as "George"), and several girls in class commented that Gary Sinise "is so hot" and one lone girl(named Mary) said that she thought Malkovich was attractive and they were all like "Oh Mary you are so strange". Oops. That doesn't help you to feel better, now does it?

;D

Anyway, I think its a lot more inspired.

I do have one HUGE crush on a celebrity myself(if you are going to elaborate on this, I might as well have to), Natalie Portman. I rented and watched the film "Garden State" Monday. Its a WONDERFUL film, love. Natalie Portman is exactly the kind of girl I like in that film.

It was more about how sexy he was in Dangerous Liasons for me.

Also he is Athos is 'The man in the iron mask'. I have a bit of a thing for Musketeers...

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/28/05 at 5:06 pm

It was more about how sexy he was in Dangerous Liasons for me.

Also he is Athos is 'The man in the iron mask'. I have a bit of a thing for Musketeers...

Ah, I haven't seen either of those. Honestly, I've seen few Malkovich films.

Written By: Sugafairey on 04/28/05 at 5:07 pm

Ah, I haven't seen either of those. Honestly, I've seen few Malkovich films.

thats cool, you don't fancy him. lol

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/28/05 at 5:09 pm

thats cool, you don't fancy him. lol

No, I don't!

But I do have a mancrush on Christian Bale, if that makes any sense. Which I am sure it doesn't. ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 04/28/05 at 6:12 pm

I think women are much more attracted to men for that "je ne sais quois" beyond looks.  I think we are
more apt to find a technically handsome man unappealling in the physical sense if there is something
that doesn't appeal to us in the way they conduct themselves, for good or ill.  I have never seen the appeal of Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt, to me they are boys and I am a woman who just loves men.  Clint Eastwood, Sean Connery, Robert DiNero, John Goodman(yeah I'd party with him)

Written By: Miss Tainted on 04/28/05 at 6:16 pm

I think women are much more attracted to men for that "je ne sais quois" beyond looks.  I think we are
more apt to find a technically handsome man unappealling in the physical sense if there is something
that doesn't appeal to us in the way they conduct themselves, for good or ill.  I have never seen the appeal of Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt, to me they are boys and I am a woman who just loves men.  Clint Eastwood, Sean Connery, Robert DiNero, John Goodman(yeah I'd party with him)

Me and my brother were just talking about John Goodman yesterday! He asked me if I thought it was weird for a girl to have a poster of him on their wall.... I said yes  :-\\  It all started with Princess Amadalla(sp?) sorry we have very strange conversations...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/28/05 at 8:15 pm

Well Hello there... ;) ;) ;D

I've been informed i am a ringer for JB

MEOW!!

Erin  ;)

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/28/05 at 8:35 pm

After seeing him in "The Last Samurai", I must say, Tom Cruise is not a boy.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 04/28/05 at 8:51 pm

After seeing him in "The Last Samurai", I must say, Tom Cruise is not a boy.

Tom Cruise, yuck.  :P

~Beth

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/28/05 at 8:52 pm

Tom Cruise, yuck. :P

~Beth

But hes soooo awesome in The Last Samurai.

Written By: Jennifer028 on 04/28/05 at 10:24 pm

I think Tom Hanks is a cutie and he's just a average guy to most.

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/28/05 at 10:25 pm

^Interestingly enough a good friend of mine at school is a third or fourth cousin of his, or something like that. Her last name is Hanks. And her and Hanks both are descendants of President Lincoln.

Written By: Jennifer028 on 04/28/05 at 10:27 pm

I just read on People.com that Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes are dating now  :o

http://i.timeinc.net/people/i/2005/news/050509/tcruise1.jpg

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/28/05 at 10:36 pm

^that pic is not very becoming of Katie Holmes

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/28/05 at 10:46 pm

No it isn't. ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/28/05 at 10:56 pm

I just read on People.com that Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes are dating now  :o

http://i.timeinc.net/people/i/2005/news/050509/tcruise1.jpg

I don't know...just looking at the pic...it makes me think of a father dragging his daughter around by the hand....they just look too far apart in age...I mean, I know personally some people who are in relationships that are a big age difference.....I dunno...maybe it's because everytime I look at her...I still think Joey from Dawsons Creek.

LOL

Written By: Miss Tainted on 04/28/05 at 11:13 pm

Wow they do look like an odd couple  :-\\

Written By: danootaandme on 04/29/05 at 5:20 am

Looks like the boyish part is more than skin deep. Men date women, not girlie girls

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 04/29/05 at 5:27 am

HURRAHHH another lady who doesn't find Tom Cruise attractive,

I've long wondered what the atttraction is with this guy??

Written By: Sugafairey on 04/29/05 at 5:29 am

As much as I don't find TC attractive, I am very pleased with him at the moment. His 'thing' with Katie Holmes has put his share price up on Celebdaq (Celebrity Stock Exchange www.bbc.co.uk/celebdaq) so he's earning me lots of pretend money at the moment!!

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/29/05 at 6:06 am

Looks like the boyish part is more than skin deep. Men date women, not girlie girls

So nice of you to judge Katie Holmes without knowing her. ::)

Written By: AngeliK on 04/29/05 at 6:10 am

I'm not a Tom Cruise Fan either....except in interview With The vampire....its my one exception....Give me Johnny Depp any day  ;D

Written By: Sugafairey on 04/29/05 at 12:33 pm

I'm not a Tom Cruise Fan either....except in interview With The vampire....its my one exception....Give me Johnny Depp any day  ;D

word to that.

Written By: danootaandme on 04/29/05 at 6:14 pm

So nice of you to judge Katie Holmes without knowing her. ::)

Yeah, I know, but it's what I do  ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...