inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Top 25 Worst Cover Songs of All Time (Mostly '80's, '90's, & 2000's)

Written By: woops on 04/28/05 at 6:10 pm

Here's the 25  worst cover songs of the last 25 years...  :P  ::)

25. Pet Shop Boys "Where The Streets Have No Name"
24. Sugar Ray "Is She Really Going Out With Him"
23. Ginuwine "When Doves Cry"
22. Sheryl Crow "Sweet Child O' Mine"
21. Metallica "Turn The Page"
20. Twisted Sister "Leader Of The Pack"
19. Whitney Houston "I Will Always Love You"... Just as awful as the original
18. Korn "Word Up"
17. Taco "Puttin' On The Ritz"
16. Pat Boone "Crazy Train"
15. Mandy Moore's  "Coverage" album
14. Tiffany "I Saw Him Standing There"
13. Aly & AJ "Do You Belive In Magic"
12. Mariah Carey "Bringin' On The Heartbreak"
11. Every song butchered on "American Idol"
10. Limp Bizkit "Faith"
9. Christina Aguilera, Lil' Kim, Maya, & Pink "Lady Marmalade"
8. Insane Clown Posse "Let's Go All The Way"
7. Michael Bolton "When A Man Loves A Woman"
6. Hillary Duff & Haylie Duff "Our Lips Are Sealed"
5. Jessica Simpson "Take My Breath Away"
4. Britney Spears "I Love Rock N' Roll"
3. Marilyn Manson "Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)"
2. Winger "Purple Haze"
1. Madonna "American Pie"

Subject: Re: Top 25 Worst Cover Songs of All Time (Mostly '80's, '90's, & 2000's)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/29/05 at 5:58 am

Limp Bizkit - Behind Blue Eyes  :P

Subject: Re: Top 25 Worst Cover Songs of All Time (Mostly '80's, '90's, & 2000's)

Written By: AngeliK on 04/29/05 at 6:01 am

Oh Thank you so MUCH! Chris is a  Limp Bizkit fan and won't agree with me that The Who version is the best! it makes me so angry!!!!!

Written By: nally on 04/29/05 at 10:37 am

That's quite a list there, Woops, but #15 and #11 aren't individual songs, and there's some that I'm surprised didn't make the list:

Dj Sammy's "Heaven" http://community.the-underdogs.org/smiley/prank/puke.gif
"Drive" (originally by The Cars; I forget who recently remade it)
No Doubt's "It's My Life" :P

Written By: MooRocca on 04/29/05 at 12:10 pm

I love A Perfect Circle, but I'd have to add their cover of John Lennon's "Imagine" to that list... just putrid.

Written By: Jennifer028 on 04/29/05 at 1:34 pm

Britney Spears-My peragative is not very good  :P

How the heck do you spell peragitive????

Written By: nally on 04/29/05 at 1:59 pm

Britney Spears-My peragative is not very good  :P

How the heck do you spell peragitive????

Hi Jen

Prerogative :)

Written By: Sugafairey on 04/29/05 at 4:40 pm

Atomic Kitten have butchered 'Eternal Flame' & 'The Tide is High' & 'Ladies Night'

All Saints 'Under The Bridge' bad bad bad bad.

Gareth Gates 'Suspicious Minds'

Tin Tin Out (feat. Emma Bunton) 'What I Am'

5ive 'We Will Rock You'

Girls Aloud 'I'll Stand By You'

Sam & Mark (from Pop Idol 2) 'With a Little Help from my Friends'

Futureheads 'Hounds of Love'

Abbamania 'Thank Abba for The Music - a Medley'

Written By: woops on 04/29/05 at 10:55 pm

I also agree with the rest...

Might as well add The Chipmunks' Punk album...  ::)  :P  :D

Written By: nally on 05/01/05 at 2:23 pm

Another cover I don't care for is 311's remake of the Cure's "Lovesong"

Written By: AnnieBanannie on 05/02/05 at 11:21 pm

I love A Perfect Circle, but I'd have to add their cover of John Lennon's "Imagine" to that list... just putrid.

I agree.  I love depressing songs, but Imagine's a hopeful song.  That cover makes it sound like a dirge -- eerie.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/03/05 at 1:22 am

APC's eMotive is pretty awful. I think even Maynard (lead singer) said he didn't like the album.

Written By: Apricot on 05/07/05 at 10:36 pm

Another cover I don't care for is 311's remake of the Cure's "Lovesong"

Voltaire did a good cover of that.. he put his own style on it, where 311 sound exactly like The Cure, minus the incessant drumbeat {I hate that constant beat in Cure songs, I honesty like the 311 cover better, and the Voltaire cover is cool, but different.}

Speaking of sucky covers..

Tom Petty BUTCHERED Beck's "A--hole". A good song, but Tom Petty's voice... Oh God!

Written By: NullandVoid on 05/08/05 at 5:49 am

Britney Spears - I love Rock N Roll
Britney Spears - Satisfaction
Britney Spears - My Prerogative
Limp Bizkit - Faith
TLC - If I was Your Girlfirend (originally by Prince)

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/08/05 at 5:51 am

Atomic Kitten have butchered 'Eternal Flame' & 'The Tide is High' & 'Ladies Night'

All Saints 'Under The Bridge' bad bad bad bad.

Gareth Gates 'Suspicious Minds'

Tin Tin Out (feat. Emma Bunton) 'What I Am'

5ive 'We Will Rock You'

Girls Aloud 'I'll Stand By You'

Sam & Mark (from Pop Idol 2) 'With a Little Help from my Friends'

Futureheads 'Hounds of Love'

Abbamania 'Thank Abba for The Music - a Medley'

Agree with all except The FutureHeads' 'Hounds Of Love' - It's a great cover!

Written By: Sugafairey on 05/10/05 at 5:36 am

Agree with all except The FutureHeads' 'Hounds Of Love' - It's a great cover!

I had to chuck that one in for my flatmate, he is a die hard Kate Bush fan and stood over me whilst I was typing! lol

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/10/05 at 9:55 am

Mariah Carey's "Without You"...the original by Badfinger was much better as was the best version by Harry Nilsson :)

"Stairway To Heaven by DOLLY PARTON
:o

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/10/05 at 12:53 pm

The following are too painful to hear....

Whitney Houston "I Will Always Love You"

Christina Aguilera, Lil' Kim, Maya, & Pink "Lady Marmalade"

Michael Bolton "When A Man Loves A Woman"

Madonna "American Pie"

Limp Bizkit - "Behind Blue Eyes" 

Britney Spears - "I love Rock N Roll"

::)

Written By: nally on 05/11/05 at 12:09 am

Voltaire did a good cover of that.. he put his own style on it, where 311 sound exactly like The Cure, minus the incessant drumbeat {I hate that constant beat in Cure songs, I honesty like the 311 cover better, and the Voltaire cover is cool, but different.}

Well, we all have our own likes and dislikes. Having familiarized myself with the Cure's original (which I've known for over a decade now), I can't bring myself to listen to a cover of it. :-\\

I just don't like it when people mess with the classics.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/11/05 at 2:06 am

The following are too painful to hear....

Whitney Houston "I Will Always Love You"

Christina Aguilera, Lil' Kim, Maya, & Pink "Lady Marmalade"

Michael Bolton "When A Man Loves A Woman"

Madonna "American Pie"

Limp Bizkit - "Behind Blue Eyes" 

Britney Spears - "I love Rock N Roll"

::)
Have you heard "I Will Always Love You" by Rik Waller, who was a Pop Idol contestant in the UK?

Written By: Red Ant on 05/11/05 at 2:54 am

Here's the 25 worst cover songs of the last 25 years*

25. Pet Shop Boys "Where The Streets Have No Name" This should have been left alone ( TSHBLA )

24. Sugar Ray "Is She Really Going Out With Him" haven't heard ( HH )

23. Ginuwine "When Doves Cry" ( TSHBLA )

22. Sheryl Crow "Sweet Child O' Mine" ( TSHBLA ) and it sucked

21. Metallica "Turn The Page" -I liked this one, but the original is better

20. Twisted Sister "Leader Of The Pack"  ( HH )

19. Whitney Houston "I Will Always Love You"... Just as awful as the original  This was a cover? It still sucked

18. Korn "Word Up"  ( HH )

17. Taco "Puttin' On The Ritz"  This is a very old song actually and isn't bad- it does repeat about 4 times though which is 2 times too many.

16. Pat Boone "Crazy Train" ( HH ) and ( TSHBLA )

15. Mandy Moore's  "Coverage" album ( HH )

14. Tiffany "I Saw Him Standing There" ( HH )

13. Aly & AJ "Do You Belive In Magic" ( HH )

12. Mariah Carey "Bringin' On The Heartbreak" DISGRACE

11. Every song butchered on "American Idol"  AGREED

10. Limp Bizkit "Faith" DISGRACE, but the original was not great either.

9. Christina Aguilera, Lil' Kim, Maya, & Pink "Lady Marmalade" DISGRACE

8. Insane Clown Posse "Let's Go All The Way" ( HH )

7. Michael Bolton "When A Man Loves A Woman" DISGRACE. And so is the cover. ;D

6. Hillary Duff & Haylie Duff "Our Lips Are Sealed" Did the Olsen twins cover this as well? I know whichever version I heard I liked it. Yeah, I'm  :-[ a bit about that.

5. Jessica Simpson "Take My Breath Away" ( HH ) and probably ( TSHBLA )

4. Britney Spears "I Love Rock N' Roll" ( HH ) This is funny as hell due to inside knowledge I cannot share here. ;)

3. Marilyn Manson "Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)" Heard but original is much better

2. Winger "Purple Haze" ( HH )

1. Madonna "American Pie" WTF? I'm curious to hear this now as I want to see how badly she mutilated Don McLean's classic.

*Okay, a few other mentions as well:

"Stairway To Heaven" by DOLLY PARTON  WTF? I'm curious now as I want to see how badly she mutilated Led Zeppelin's classic.

" Behind Blue Eyes " by Limp Bizkit was pretty good till they totally FUBAR the middle part. On the other hand, I didn't really like the middle part of The Who's version either.

Though it wasn't recorded ( I hope ), remember the DIVAS in Vegas show where I believe Celion Dion and Anastacia did AC/DC's " All Night Long " ? That was horrible.

The ONLY good cover I have heard in a while BETTER than the original is Nirvana's cover of David Bowie's " The Man Who Sold The World ". When I heard DB's song, all that twangy guitar and odd reverb or whatever was horrible.

Also, while I haven't heard John Lennon's version, Alice in Chains covered " Soldier " before Facelift I believe and it isn't bad, but repetitive.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/11/05 at 3:17 am

Here's the 25 worst cover songs of the last 25 years*
"Stairway To Heaven" by DOLLY PARTON  WTF? I'm curious now as I want to see how badly she mutilated Led Zeppelin's classic.
Let us say that DP version makes a defference in the hearing off.

Written By: Apricot on 05/11/05 at 5:34 am

Oh, I forgot: Ever heard of BigAss Superstar? Oh God, they suck. They took people's request for covers, and did covers of the most obscure artists. They covered Ween, and DEAR LORD IT SUCKS. Like Tom Petty's Beck cover sucking. They have a horrible, metallic, robotic even, voice.

If You're Feeling Self-Destructive, Look At "Sarah", "P-ss Up A Rope" and "Big Jilm". You Have Been Warned

Written By: Stompgal on 05/13/05 at 6:43 am

The worst covers are Madonna's American Pie, Jessica Simpson's Take My Breath Away and Rik Waller's I Will Always Love You. Whitney's version is much better than Rik's and I also prefer Don McClean's version of American Pie to Madonna's.

Written By: FaultyDog on 09/26/05 at 2:20 pm

I'm surprised I didn't think of this one before: Help by Tina Turner. :P  :P

Written By: whistledog on 09/26/05 at 2:23 pm

I'm surprised I didn't think of this one before: Help by Tina Turner. :P  :P

That one was pretty bad yes

Written By: Sugafairey on 11/04/05 at 12:37 pm

These boots are made for walking ~ Jessica Simpson.

There are only 2 things that annoy me about JS - everything she says and everything she does.

Check for new replies or respond here...