inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Broadway Musicals

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/28/05 at 9:43 pm

Have you guys ever seen any Broadway musicals....either in New York....or in your own home town????   

I have seen the following:

Phantom of the Opera (twice in Canada)
Joseph & The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat (In Pittsburgh)
Les Miserables (In Pittsburgh)

I have never been to NY yet...but I am planning on taking Beth as a graduation present this year...so hopefully we can catch a musical or something.

Have any of you seen "Hairspray", or "Rent"....if so....where they good?

Erin :)

Subject: Re: Broadway Musicals

Written By: AngeliK on 04/29/05 at 5:55 am

I've seen:

(This is versions of sometimes through college)

Blood Brothers (Twice so far. Both Times in Brighton, want to go again this year!)
Joseph (In Worthing)
Jesus Christ Superstar (Also In Worthing I actually auditioned for this but was too short  >:( )
Godspell (in College)
The Pyjama Game (In Worthing)
The Lion King (For my 18th Birthday in London)
The King and I (In Worthing)
Sweeny Todd, Oliver, Bugsy Malone, (am-dram in Worthing)

I've been in (in school, college or am-dram)

Sleeping Beauty (Panto 2003 this was a laugh I was in chorus and a dancing girl)
Oh What a Lovely War (In 2003 was so much fun! Did a little bit of everything)
(2001)
Blood Brothers (Mrs Johnstone)
Chicago (Velma Kelly)
Oliver (Nancy)
Disney Medley (Pocahontas, Belle, Snow White)
(well this was Choir actually we did the songs from the shows/Films one a term)

The Mikado (in 2000- did costume and was in the chorus...not recommended!)
Joseph (In 1999 was the narrator singer person)
Grease (In 1998 - was a teen angel and understudy for Rizzo)

yep I'm a Busy Bunny right?!!! 

Written By: Gis on 04/29/05 at 9:25 am

Recently I've seen
Chicago
Crazy for you
Saturday night fever
We will rock you
Joseph

In two weeks I'm going to see 'Anything Goes'

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/29/05 at 9:59 am

I LOVE musicals.

The ones I have seen on Broadway were:

A Chorus Line
Annie (with Allison Smith-from Kate and Allie fame)
42nd Street (with Jerry Orbach)

(that shows how long it is has been since I have been to NYC)

In Jr. High I was in The Yankee Doodle and  Lil Abner, in high school I did a local production called "The Woodstock Way" and my first year of college (right after high school, I was in a show called "That's Musical Comedy, Part II"  ::) That was a mess and I don't did it for the credit I earned.

I used to work at a theatre and we did Company (was "production assistant-in other words, I was the "gofer" to the stage manager)  on D@mn Yankees (tried out for a part in that one but didn't make it.  :\'( )

My mother also worked in the theatre so I basically grew up there and saw almost every proformance (sometimes from the lighting booth).

Over the years I have seen (some of these were college preformances, local theatre, or professional theatre productions)

Caberet
Joseph
The Rocky Horror Show
The Fantasticks (a couple of times)
Evita
Godspell (a couple of times)
Guys and Dolls
A funny thing happened on the way to the Forum (a couple of times)
Hair
Company (another production-not the one I worked on-ours was better  ;))
Man of LaMancha (a few times)
Celebration (which I'm sure very few people have even heard of-I'm trying to convience the director of the college theatre to put this on)
1776 (with Dean Jones-a LONG time ago)
Mame (with Anglea Lansbury-a LONG time ago)

I'm sure there are more but that is all I can think of right now.

The two I am REALLY wanting to see are Phantom and A Little Night Music.

Cat

Written By: Sugafairey on 04/29/05 at 5:06 pm

Ok, now we're talking LOL, I love musicals.

Here are the ones I've seen on stage:

Cats
Bugsy Malone
Guys & Dolls
Sweeney Todd
Evita
Blood Brothers
Chicago
Oliver!
Joseph & The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
Fame
Snoopy the Musical (don't ask)
The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas
Grease
West Side Story
Les Miserables
Miss Saigon
Sunday in the Park with George (that was on video though because it hasn't been to England, but it was a video of the stage show)
Wizard of Oz
Beauty & The Beast - the stage show
Anything Goes

Plus loads more of which I won't bore you with now.

I went to a performing arts school and studied Theatre Studies at Uni, these are the shows I have been in (Am-Dram, Academic & Semi-Professional)

Merrily We Roll Along
Fame
Little Shop of Horrors
Return to the Forbidden Planet
Sing a Song of Sixpence
Bugsy Malone
Grease
Dick Whittington
Anything Goes
Les Miserables
Chicago (twice, once as Mama when I was large, then as Velma when i'd lost the weight)
Cats
Dracula Spectacular
Robinson Crusoe
Guys & Dolls
Funny Girl
Daisy Pulls it Off (not a musical, just a play)
Sweeney Todd
Yanomamo (written by Sting, it's about the Rainforest)
Disney Showcase (as Mulan, Jasmine, Ariel & Belle)
Sutton Theatre Company 20 year celebration performance.
The Vagina Monologues (again, not a musical, but worth a mention)
Junk
I'm currently waiting to hear if my auditon for to be in 'Company' was successful, too.

(There are more, but I've lost count already...)

And I appeared singing an original song for charity in a Royal Variety Performance.

Oh my! When do I have time to eat??

Written By: woops on 04/29/05 at 10:57 pm

I've never seen one.

Though I've enjoyed some rock operas like "Tommy" & Deborah Gibson's, a stage actress/former pop princess, "Colored Lights" CD.  :)

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 04/30/05 at 1:12 am

hmmmm gotta think hard !

Earliest one I went to would have been Camelot with Richard Harris.

Since then:
Rocky Horror Picture Show - countless times including with Russell Crowe and Frank & Eddie/Dr Scott
Little Shop of Horrors - about 9 times in two weeks
Guys & Dolls
South Pacific
Chicago
Oliver - many times
Joseph & Technicolour Dreamcoat
Fame - with the awesome Thelma Houston
Grease
Jesus Christ Superstar
The Secret Garden
Phantom of the Opera
We Will Rock You - a zillion times !!
Cabaret
Singing In The Rain
The Boy From Oz
Pirate of Penzance - many times
The King & I - with Hayley Mills
Aida
Nunsense
The Graduate
Mamma Mia

And next month I am going to Sydneys opening night of The Producers.

Written By: ADH13 on 04/30/05 at 2:17 am

I saw the same Annie on Broadway that Catwoman mentioned with Allison Smith.  I was supposed to go see Evita on Broadway too, but the day of the show I came down with an ear infection so my parents went, leaving me with a sitter.

Written By: Gis on 04/30/05 at 3:35 am

I also love musicals !
I've been to loads of smaller productions too and watched loads of video's.Gene Kelly is a hero of mine it must be said,and boy did I used to get stick for that as a fan of metal !  ;D 

My other half is a big Rocky Horror fan so we go to see it every time it tours so I've seen it many times now.

Has anyone else been to a 'Sing a long' showing ? Basically they show the film on a big screen with words along the bottom and you sing along with it.People dress up and you can win prizes it's great fun l I know the Sound of music tours loads in the U.K though I've never been to that. I went to see the 'Joseph' version and sung myself hoarse. Apparently they do a Rocky Horror version which I'm dying to go to but it hasn't toured near us yet.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/30/05 at 10:05 am

I saw the same Annie on Broadway that Catwoman mentioned with Allison Smith.  I was supposed to go see Evita on Broadway too, but the day of the show I came down with an ear infection so my parents went, leaving me with a sitter.

I, too was supposed to see Evita on Broadway (class trip). I bought my ticket but I was in the school play and our director was a real jerk. He changed the schedual of our rehearsals so it overlapped with the trip to NYC. He told me that I HAD to be there or he would recast my part and I would fail his course (I was only in the last 5 minutes of the play and didn't even have a speaking part and they could have done without me for one day). Well, it so happened that at that time, my great-uncle passed away and that same day was the day of the funeral. So I never did get to see Evita on Broadway and I didn't make to rehearsal (and that jerk could NOT take my part away!)

Cat

Written By: Ansky1213 on 04/30/05 at 5:34 pm

I've seen a bunch in my day. The last one I saw was "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels," adapted from the 1988 movie of the same name. It's new, and I saw the premiere. It was pretty damn funny. I'm going to see "La Cage Aux Folles" next week, so I'll report back afterwards. It's supposed to be incredibly campy, but it's starring Robert Goulet, so it can't be that bad  ;D

Written By: Dagwood on 04/30/05 at 6:43 pm

Never seen any actually on Broadway, but I have seen them in SLC.

Cats - I loved it.

The King And I - it was wonderful but for one thing.  Haley Mills was supposed to play Anna, but she was sick so we had to watch her understudy.  I was all excited to see Haley Mills.

Rent - I liked it, but it got annoying after a while. 

Phantom of the Opera - I didn't think I would like it, but I loved it.  I can't wait to buy the movie on DVD.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 05/01/05 at 2:23 am

The last one I saw was "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels," adapted from the 1988 movie of the same name.

I am soooo dying for that one to make its way down under - the movie is a big fave of mine.

The King And I - it was wonderful but for one thing. Haley Mills was supposed to play Anna, but she was sick so we had to watch her understudy. I was all excited to see Haley Mills.

Hayley came to Australia with the production in 1991 - she was really good in it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/01/05 at 2:56 pm

Phantom of the Opera - I didn't think I would like it, but I loved it.  I can't wait to buy the movie on DVD.

I will be out in 3 days. I can't wait either.

Cat

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 05/03/05 at 3:39 am

I will be out in 3 days. I can't wait either.

Cat

I am thinking about buying the Phantom DVD myself.  I didnt see the show till the mid 90s and had loved the soundtrack for 10 years prior to that. 
The production I saw was miscast - the Phantom was played by my least favourite stage male in Australia - he has no charisma. He wasnt the original Aussie Phantom - by the time productions get to Perth we generally get the second rate stars (thankfully not the case with We Will Rock You).
So I felt a little let down when I came home.  I also found that The production didnt flow very well between "on stage" and "back stage" and "under the stage" - if you know what I mean - in that I got pretty darn confused midway thru the show !

So I was a bit reluctant to see the film - but I am so glad I did because it really was magnificent and I felt the way it was filmed there was a far better storyline and flow between on stage, back stage, under stage etc etc.  Really well cast too.  And that soundtrack - wow !!!!!

Written By: karen on 05/03/05 at 6:09 am

In London I've seen

Phantom of the Opera
Starlight Express
we are planning to go and see Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

locally I've seen

Godspell
Joseph
Oliver
The King and I

and I was in the chorus for a musical version of Macbeth (school production)
and bit parts in Dazzle Star (another school thing)

Written By: whistledog on 10/10/05 at 12:16 am

I saw The Phantom of the Opera in Toronto when I was in Grade 7.  I'll never forget that day.  My class went up by school bus, which was torture becuase I was ill that day and a bus w/ no bathroom = trouble  :-Chess, to which I also have the 45 rpm of 'One Night in Bangkok' by Murray Head (which was one of two hits featured in Chess) 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/10/05 at 8:09 am

Beth and I are going to see, "Wicked" this coming winter...it's playing in Pittsburgh.

Written By: Apricot on 10/10/05 at 9:30 am

Beth and I are going to see, "Wicked" this coming winter...it's playing in Pittsburgh.

Our school band is going to New York for a competition, and seeing the sights while we're there. We almost got that play.. luckily, though, we got a choice between "The Lion King" and some other thing that isn't a musical.. called "Stomp".

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/10/05 at 10:33 am

I am familiar with Stomp and The Lion King.....so which one did they decide on?...The Lion King? I heard that one is really good!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/10/05 at 1:54 pm

I have seen only one "official" Broadway show:

Movin' Out (San Francisco, CA - Curran Theatre)

Off Broadway, I've seen these:

Wizard of Oz (Pittsburg H.S. Production - 1980's)
Wizard of Oz (Middle School production - 1993)
Wizard of Oz (Diablo Light Opera, Walnut creek, CA- 1995)
You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown (Pittsburg H.S., CA, production, 1992)
Almost Heaven (Diablo Light Opera, Walnut creek, CA - 2005)
Chicago (Wilmington, North Carolina -  Light Opera - 2003)
Sweet Charity (Diablo Light Opera - 2000)

Written By: Billy Florio on 10/10/05 at 9:20 pm

The only musicals Ive seen on Broadway itself were:

Spamalot
The Scarlet Pimpernell

Ive seen many others performed either at Hofstra or other places, such as:
Godspell
Assassins
Grease
a bunch of things i cant remember

also many movie musicals lol

Check for new replies or respond here...