inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Download THIS!

Written By: AL-B on 05/04/05 at 3:07 pm

Since I've been a member of this board, many of you have turned me on to music that I otherwise would have never heard of. So I was thinking we could maybe have a thread where we could recommend some of our favorite songs to each other for downloading. What do you all think?

Subject: Re: Download THIS!

Written By: chaka on 05/04/05 at 3:08 pm

Great idea!!
That way you get into music that you've never heard of (yet)
Well,what are your recommandations then?

Written By: AL-B on 05/04/05 at 3:34 pm

Great idea!!
That way you get into music that you've never heard of (yet)
Well,what are your recommandations then?
OK, I'll try a few, but they might be hard to find:

"We Say Yeah"- Jarvis Humby
"Pretty Girls Go Insane" - Outrageous Cherry
"Baby Blue" - Badfinger
"Footsteps In The Dark" - Isley Brothers
"Jesus, etc." - Wilco

Written By: Apricot on 05/04/05 at 4:33 pm

"Hell is Chrome" by Wilco

"The USS Make Sh-t Up" by Voltaire

"The Stallion Part 4" by Ween

"Communist Daughter" by Neutral Milk Hotel

"A--hole" by Beck

Written By: Kenlos on 05/04/05 at 4:39 pm

I have some that you all might want to check out.  These should be pretty easy to find if your downloading.

"Over The Hills And Far Away" by Nightwish (this is a cover but this version is awesome)
"Sacrement of Wilderness" by Nightwish (This band has a very distinct sound and you need to download more than one song to really hear it)

either "Stand My Ground" or "Forsaken" by Within Temptation (if you like Evanescense then you would probably like this band)

"Center Of The Universe" by Kamelot (you can actually download this song directly from thier webpage http://www.kamelot.com/audiovideo_en_mephisto.htm should be first song on the list just right click and then click on "save link as" and it should download)

"Still Loving You" by Sonata Arctica (I just get a feeling a lot of people on this board would probably like this song)

Written By: Bobby on 05/04/05 at 4:40 pm

It depends on what you are prepared to listen to, AL-B, and what mood you are in. Here are some recommendations (well . . . Some I can keep listening to over again).

'Twist and shout' - Isley Brothers
'Teenage Rampage' - Sweet
'Do you love me' - Contours
'Together in electric dreams' - Oakey/Moroder
'Livin' thing' - E.L.O
'A place in my heart' - T'Pau

Written By: Bobby on 05/04/05 at 4:41 pm

"Over The Hills And Far Away" by Nightwish (this is a cover but this version is awesome)

Was that the one sung initally by Gary Moore? If so, cracking song.  ;)

Written By: Kenlos on 05/04/05 at 4:43 pm

Was that the one sung initally by Gary Moore? If so, cracking song.  ;)

Yep, that is the one.

Written By: Apricot on 05/04/05 at 4:51 pm

I'd also recommend:

"Jesus of Rio" by Violent Femmes
"Feeling Yourself Disintegrate" by The Flaming Lips
"Hotcha Girls" by Ugly Casanova

Written By: Alchoholica on 05/04/05 at 4:54 pm

I already have stuff by a few of the artists mentioned.

Although 'Cot, the only Beck song i like is Sexx Laws. I have listened to others before.. i dunno how he managed to make one perfectly good song and then be so sheeshe.  ;D

Here are some of the things that (at least here) get no air time whatsoever and need downloading..

We've Had Enough - Alkaline Trio
Bridge To Cross - Black Label Society (They do actually get some air time in the states)
Shadows & Silhouettes - A Dead Giveaway
Walk Away - Dropkick Murphys
Prisoner - Fozzy (Chris Jericho's Band)
Anything by The Mars Volta (I imagine you may have heard of them.. but may not have heard anything by them)
One Ray of Sunlight by Phantom planet (I'm sure you have all heard the song 'California' used in the TV Show the OC.. however you may well not know that this group have recorded some other excellent tracks)
Gleaming Auction - Snow Patrol (Don't know if they have made the jump over the Atlantic yet)

It's hard to work out what to suggest because for all i know some of these artists may get a huge amount of air time in the states.. apart from the last two Groups, i have never heard a song on the radio here by any of the others, so i suppose if you live in the UK i have at least helped  ;D

Written By: Apricot on 05/04/05 at 7:17 pm

Although 'Cot, the only Beck song i like is Sexx Laws. I have listened to others before.. i dunno how he managed to make one perfectly good song and then be so sheeshe.  ;D

I didn't like "Sexxx Laws" so much. I guess you have to be in the mood for Beck too. It takes a certain kind of person to like his stuff.

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 05/04/05 at 7:21 pm

For rock lovers:  "Bullet and a Target" by Citizen Cope

For hip-hop lovers:  "Beware of the Boys" by Jay-Z and Panjabi MC

Folk lovers(uh....?):  anything by Roger Whittaker

Written By: Ripp on 05/05/05 at 11:43 am

"What's up?" - 4 Non Blondes
"Shock Treatment" - Shock Treatment/Richard O'brien
"Lullaby" - Shock Treatment/Richard O'brien
"Some Fun Now" - Little SHop Of Horrors/Alan menken/Howard Ashman

Written By: AL-B on 05/06/05 at 8:41 pm

Thank you for all your suggestions. Here's a few more from me:

"Take Me Anywhere" - Tegan & Sara
"Happy Boy" - Beat Farmers
"Who's Behind The Door?" - Zebra
"Driver's Seat"- Sniff 'N The Tears

Written By: Apricot on 05/06/05 at 8:45 pm

Can anyone recommend any darker music that isn't full of just noise? I don't want anything, like, chaotic {full of loud guitar} or that, just some darker lyrics to more peaceful tune then what most of the darker stuff is put to. Like Voltaire. Thanks.

Written By: Ripp on 05/08/05 at 8:39 am

What i reccomend thats "darker" to a peaceful tune, even though it does have some guitar and all, is lullaby, by richard o'brien or Shock Treatment (the film, not the song)

Written By: Kenlos on 05/09/05 at 10:34 am

Can anyone recommend any darker music that isn't full of just noise? I don't want anything, like, chaotic {full of loud guitar} or that, just some darker lyrics to more peaceful tune then what most of the darker stuff is put to. Like Voltaire. Thanks.

A band that I have mentioned several times on here.  Nightwish, they are a Gothic metal band but they use choirs along with an orchestra.  The lead singer also uses a classical/Opera type voice in a lot of the music.  Most of their music is far more than just noise.

Check for new replies or respond here...