inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: SMOKING IN PUBLIC, PLACES,

Written By: robocop 100th on 05/06/05 at 1:25 pm

what do you think of passive smoking,
in public places,

Subject: Re: SMOKING IN PUBLIC, PLACES,

Written By: Jennifer028 on 05/06/05 at 2:33 pm

Its being banned here in houston, no smoking in restaurants or you get a 2000.00 fine  :)

Written By: robocop 100th on 05/06/05 at 2:36 pm

Its being banned here in houston, no smoking in restaurants or you get a 2000.00 fine  :)
they have banned it in ireland i think,
wow thats a big  2000.00  :o

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/06/05 at 2:52 pm

I don't like it when people smoke in public places. But if the place allows smoking, I just ignore it.

Written By: ADH13 on 05/06/05 at 3:00 pm

I don't think smoking should be allowed in hospitals, etc. but I think in most cases it should be up to the owner of the business if he/she wants to allow smoking or not.  I think it should be allowed in bars, bowling alleys, etc. but I still think the business owner should be able to prohibit it if they want to.

Written By: robocop 100th on 05/06/05 at 3:01 pm

I don't like it when people smoke in public places. But if the place allows smoking, I just ignore it.
if people like to put this muck in them, i.e smok why should we have to suffer to,
when they do this in public

Written By: robocop 100th on 05/06/05 at 3:05 pm

I don't think smoking should be allowed in hospitals, etc. but I think in most cases it should be up to the owner of the business if he/she wants to allow smoking or not.  I think it should be allowed in bars, bowling alleys, etc. but I still think the business owner should be able to prohibit it if they want to.
in the u.k they dont let you somke in the hospitals so all the visitors and staff somke out side,

Written By: jiminy on 05/06/05 at 3:08 pm

I read it wrong, I thought it said smoking in pubic places  :D

Written By: Howard on 05/06/05 at 3:11 pm

get your mind outta the gutter,will you? ::)

Written By: Marian on 05/06/05 at 3:12 pm

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: robocop 100th on 05/06/05 at 3:12 pm

so are you going to light a cigarette up, :o

Written By: jiminy on 05/06/05 at 3:13 pm

get your mind outta the gutter,will you? ::)

it's an easy mistake   ::)

Written By: jiminy on 05/06/05 at 3:14 pm

I voted it's a disgusting habit

Written By: robocop 100th on 05/06/05 at 3:15 pm

good,

Written By: Howard on 05/06/05 at 3:16 pm

to have your pubes on fire. ;D ;D

Written By: jiminy on 05/06/05 at 3:25 pm

smoke 'em if ya got 'em  ;D

Written By: Howard on 05/06/05 at 3:27 pm

smoke 'em if ya got 'em  ;D

I got em,do you?

Written By: jiminy on 05/06/05 at 3:36 pm

I got em,do you?

let my count them   ;D
this might take awhile   :D

Written By: NullandVoid on 05/06/05 at 4:00 pm

Banning smoking in public places such as restaurants, stores, amusement park I'm totally fine with BUT smoking outdoors(with the exception of a crowded sidewalk or parade) should never be banned, that would be a bit much.

Written By: jiminy on 05/06/05 at 4:03 pm

they have banned the smoking of marijuana, even in private places   ;D

Written By: Apricot on 05/06/05 at 4:34 pm

I was thinking about it... is it REALLY $2000? I can understand a fine, but.. TWO THOUSAND? I think excessive fines have no point, either reasonable fines or jail time. And for something as trivial as lighting a cigarette {not to downplay it, I just find two thousand dollars ridiculous}, too... don't make sense.

Written By: Climber on 05/06/05 at 4:44 pm

if people like to put this muck in them, i.e smok why should we have to suffer to,

I agree.  I can't sit too close to the smoking sections in restaraunts.  It's hard to breathe.
Smoking is a smelly habit.  My mom & her boyfriend smoke, and when my kids stay with them she washes their dirty clothes and folds them before they come home.  I appreciate the effort, but I always have to rewash them to get rid of the smell.  :P

Written By: Harmonica on 05/06/05 at 4:50 pm

Someone put up the argument of  having "Smoke Free" bars as well as "Smoker only" bars.

that's not a bad idea, and non-smokers would be allowed in the "smoker only" bars they'd just have to realize that they're subjected to smoke.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/06/05 at 8:18 pm

I don't mind it in most places, mostly because I used to wait tables and I am used to the smell of it....but I don't think it should be allowed in restaurants, and places like that.......but bars, bowling alleys, etc are a different story...I see no problem with doing it there...it kinda goes with the territory.

Erin :)

Written By: ADH13 on 05/06/05 at 8:33 pm

You don't "HAVE TO" suffer.. like I said, it should be up to the business owner... if the owner allows smoking and you don't like it, don't patronize his business.  Go to a non-smoking establishment instead.

Written By: Apricot on 05/06/05 at 8:54 pm

You don't "HAVE TO" suffer.. like I said, it should be up to the business owner... if the owner allows smoking and you don't like it, don't patronize his business.  Go to a non-smoking establishment instead.

What if, say, you enjoy eating at a certain chain. You could get something similar, but there's nothing quite like that places food. You like it more then any competitor, and it would never be quite the same anywhere else. Or, it's a chain that has no competitors. No chain is like this at all, and you love it.

Now say every franchise allows smoking. You can't escape it, but By God, you love that restaurant! What then?

Written By: ADH13 on 05/06/05 at 10:54 pm

What if, say, you enjoy eating at a certain chain. You could get something similar, but there's nothing quite like that places food. You like it more then any competitor, and it would never be quite the same anywhere else. Or, it's a chain that has no competitors. No chain is like this at all, and you love it.

Now say every franchise allows smoking. You can't escape it, but By God, you love that restaurant! What then?

Then you do the same thing a smoker would do if his FAVORITE one of a kind restaurant was NONSMOKING.  You make a decision!

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/07/05 at 4:23 am

I was thinking about it... is it REALLY $2000? I can understand a fine, but.. TWO THOUSAND? I think excessive fines have no point, either reasonable fines or jail time. And for something as trivial as lighting a cigarette {not to downplay it, I just find two thousand dollars ridiculous}, too... don't make sense.
I take it the fines go to the bar/restaurant owner, not the individual, which is what happens over here. If someone lights up inside the bar and gets caught, the bar owner will get charged, not the individual. Sounds crazy, but it's true.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 05/07/05 at 4:26 am

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA  ;D ;D

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 05/07/05 at 4:28 am

New York and LA have the right idea, keep lousy stinking foul smelling cigarettes smoke out of restaurants and bars.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/07/05 at 4:28 am

they have banned the smoking of marijuana, even in private places   ;D
They banned what now?!  :o

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 05/07/05 at 9:21 am

so are you going to light a cigarette up, :o

??with a torch??

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 05/07/05 at 9:22 am

The only time I  smoke is when I'm on fire!! 

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/10/05 at 9:45 am

I love that retaraunts and bars having begun to ban it in thier establishments. Maybe they should have some bars made JUST for smokers....then those of us who don't like to go home with filthy smelling clothes and hair wouldn't have to be subjected to it at all and the smokers can be free to hack up all the portions of thier lungs one smoldering lugi at a time, can kill each other in peace, without being "Annoyed" by those who enjoy thier health :)

Written By: Mergal on 05/10/05 at 9:54 pm

I voted "Don't Like It", but isn't that the same as "Disgusting Habit"?

I don't think they should ban it entirely because that would be just too hard for those who do already smoke. I also think it's okay to have some smoking sections inside public places (not in hospitals, doctors' offices...  ::) ) with large non-smoking areas being completely sealed off so non-smokers like myself don't have to suffer. What I mean is that I went skiing in Quebec, for instance, and the bar inside the lodge had two sections: smoking and non-smoking. But I could still inhale the smoke because I was just placed in an area by the windows a few tables away and there was no glass or even a low wall to help barricade the smoke! What's the point in that?!

Written By: robocop 2000th on 06/02/05 at 7:57 pm

I agree.  I can't sit too close to the smoking sections in restaraunts.  It's hard to breathe.
Smoking is a smelly habit.  My mom & her boyfriend smoke, and when my kids stay with them she washes their dirty clothes and folds them before they come home.  I appreciate the effort, but I always have to rewash them to get rid of the smell.   :P
smokers are the smelly est.

Written By: YWN on 06/02/05 at 8:15 pm

I just lit my public places on fire (wink, wink) and boy, does it hurt!  :o

Just kidding.  But I find smoking in public places (and pubic places) inconsiderate.

Written By: whitewolf on 06/02/05 at 8:17 pm

I am a smoker and where I live smoking has been baned in restaurants, bars, taxis etc.

doesn't bother me that it is baned, I still smoke in public places. Outdoor public places that is.

Written By: robocop 2000th on 06/02/05 at 9:12 pm

The only time I  smoke is when I'm on fire!! 
;D ;D me to

Written By: robocop 2000th on 06/02/05 at 9:17 pm

I just lit my public places on fire (wink, wink) and boy, does it hurt!   :o

Just kidding.  But I find smoking in public places (and pubic places) inconsiderate.
its very inconsiderate. of people to smoke in the pubic and pubs and stuff.
some moms smoke in the car when driving the kids to school.

Written By: robocop 2000th on 06/02/05 at 9:19 pm

I am a smoker and where I live smoking has been baned in restaurants, bars, taxis etc.

doesn't bother me that it is baned, I still smoke in public places. Outdoor public places that is.
if you are going to smoke dont smoke in here lol :)

Written By: robocop 2000th on 06/02/05 at 9:22 pm

Banning smoking in public places such as restaurants, stores, amusement park I'm totally fine with BUT smoking outdoors(with the exception of a crowded sidewalk or parade) should never be banned, that would be a bit much.
3 WEEKS Smoke Free and Counting.......:- :) good work

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/02/05 at 9:29 pm

I am glad bars and restaurants are smokefree now down here. I'm also amazed at how many smokers agree with the legislation aswell.  :o

Smoking is a bad addiction, and I am glad I haven't fallen into the trap, so to speak.  :)

Written By: robocop 2000th on 06/02/05 at 9:32 pm

I am glad bars and restaurants are smokefree now down here. I'm also amazed at how many smokers agree with the legislation aswell.  :o

Smoking is a bad addiction, and I am glad I haven't fallen into the trap, so to speak.  :)

I haven't fallen into the trap / good  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...