inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ebay

Written By: NullandVoid on 05/06/05 at 11:08 pm

Have you ever bought anything from Ebay?
Have you ever sold anything on Ebay?

If so what was it?

I've only shopped on Ebay once, I bought a mint copy of Super R-Type for Super Nintendo.
what a great game.

Subject: Re: Ebay

Written By: ADH13 on 05/06/05 at 11:12 pm

I have bought many things... A few clothing items and some Department 56 Christmas Village pieces.  I've never sold anything on there.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 05/07/05 at 10:54 am

I have been buying and selling for years.  Mainly lobby cards, posters, videos, dvds, books, magazines, press kits, publicity photos.

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/07/05 at 11:09 am

Wow, what a coincidence this thread should appear at exactly the same time as I submitted a parody about Ebay!!! Spooky!

Anyway, I've bought about 10 Thats What I Call Music Cds from Ebay at about November last year. All worth the small price I paid for them

Written By: ElDuderino on 05/07/05 at 11:11 am

No, but I bet I will in the future.

I'm going to be a college student, most likely doing work-study which makes very little money, so if I can find stuff like CDs on Ebay cheaper, heck yeah I'll buy from there!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/07/05 at 12:29 pm

I have only discovered E-bay not too long ago-so I am a late bloomer-but I am making up for lost time.  ;)  I have never sold anything on it.

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/07/05 at 1:05 pm

yes.....

I have been selling and buying on Ebay since about 2000......I had an Ebay store for awhle.....but over the winter I stopped selling things, as that is a slower time. I deal with a lot of vintage/retro things (clothing, jewelry, toys, knick-nacks, music, movies, etc). My Ebay screen name is ......................

in--retrospect--vintage--shop

I will be starting to list a lot of vintage/retro things within the month.....so bookmark me and check it out sometime!!!

Erin :)

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 05/16/05 at 3:56 pm

I love Ebay. I refuse to pay store prices on certain things. That's where Ebay and thrift stores come in.

~Beth :)

Written By: Jennifer028 on 05/16/05 at 4:03 pm

I buy and sell off ebay but nothing recently.  Mostly stuff for my three year old.  :)

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 05/16/05 at 4:04 pm

I buy and sell off ebay but nothing recently.  Mostly stuff for my three year old.  :)

I've bought before, but was going to start selling too, do you find it easy to set up?

Written By: Jennifer028 on 05/16/05 at 5:00 pm

Oh yes very easy...its all set up really easy you just add a pic and add a description and click your settings.  It tells you step by step.  There's nothing better than seeing your item get a bid..very exciting!  I ran out of stuff to sell  :(

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 05/16/05 at 9:04 pm

I've only bought 2 things from Ebay: a webcam and some marijuana leaf tanning stickers. 
I recently bid on a pink comforter set, but then quit when other people kept bidding too much over me.  Then I found out it was the same comforter set I could get at Wal-Mart for $40.  The winning bidder ended up paying over $60 for it.  haha loser!

Written By: ElDuderino on 05/16/05 at 9:16 pm

I've only bought 2 things from Ebay: a webcam and some marijuana leaf tanning stickers.

Get'er done! ;D

Written By: Gis on 05/17/05 at 5:01 am

I am a complete Ebay addict. I use it loads for buying and selling.Mostly clothes and cd's.

Written By: karen on 05/17/05 at 5:05 am

I've bought books that are part of a series I am collecting.

Some of them I have got at a bargain and one or two I feel a bit cheated on.  It was my fault for not reading the full description which said it was a reprint and not the old book.  My mistake.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 05/17/05 at 5:20 am

Oh yes very easy...its all set up really easy you just add a pic and add a description and click your settings.  It tells you step by step.  There's nothing better than seeing your item get a bid..very exciting!  I ran out of stuff to sell   :(

Heyy..thanks for that.  ;)

I must get cracking with sorting a sellers account.

Written By: Apricot on 05/17/05 at 5:25 am

My dad had an e-Bay account for a while.. only used it to buy a couple of softball bats... I don't even think he remembers the account name or password {it's been about 5 years, I think}, and the e-mail account it was registered with is unaccessible to us at this point {we switched internet providers, so we have no way to access a cvns.net account}.

Written By: Alchoholica on 05/17/05 at 7:32 am

Bought a couple CD's ages ago..

I also bought a huge '...And Justice For All' T-Shirt because i don't think they sold them here and the only one was like XXXL

Still fits  ;D

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 05/17/05 at 11:09 am

I'm going to be a college student, most likely doing work-study which makes very little money, so if I can find stuff like CDs on Ebay cheaper, heck yeah I'll buy from there!

CDs?!!! No, no, no, if you're a broke college student you get Limewire and start illegally downloading all the songs u want.  MUCH cheaper than ebay?  ;)    Just don't let em catch ya.

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 05/17/05 at 11:11 am

Oh yes very easy...its all set up really easy you just add a pic and add a description and click your settings.  It tells you step by step.  There's nothing better than seeing your item get a bid..very exciting!  I ran out of stuff to sell   :(

Aren't there a lot of fees you have to pay? Like advertisement fees and PayPal fees?

Written By: chaka on 05/17/05 at 11:13 am

CDs?!!! No, no, no, if you're a broke college student you get Limewire and start illegally downloading all the songs u want.  MUCH cheaper than ebay?   ;)    Just don't let em catch ya.

What,it's illegal? :o ::)
Limewire's great,has most of the stuff I want ;)

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 05/17/05 at 11:24 am

A lot better than Kazaa, too.  Kazaa doesn't have enuff stuff and the files are always corrupt.

Written By: Alchoholica on 05/17/05 at 11:28 am

Ares is the best IMO.

Limewire has it's share of viruses, i'm yet to find one on Ares.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 05/17/05 at 12:20 pm

Aren't there a lot of fees you have to pay? Like advertisement fees and PayPal fees?

I think it's a small % of the initial price you're selling at..the higher you sell for the higher your fees to them...something like that?

Written By: Jennifer028 on 05/17/05 at 1:22 pm

I think it's a small % of the initial price you're selling at..the higher you sell for the higher your fees to them...something like that?

Yes a small fee..but usually only a dollar or so or a few dollars depending on how expensive the item is.  For example I sold something for like 30 dollars and the fee was around 1.50.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 06/20/05 at 10:58 am

I've only recently bought from eBay. (4 items)

But I bought something which was discontinued years ago (1980's)

A vintage perfume called VU  which I loved - the seller swore was totally original and fresh smelling.

When I received it from Germany after being totally ripped off with a huge p+p charge,  and an inflated cost price - it was nothing like the original ..so I complained until she agreed to refund me, minus the postage charges  $£*&$!

I won't be buying from that kraut again.

Written By: Apricot on 06/20/05 at 11:36 am

'

Limewire sucks if you're like me, and you listen to bands no one's heard of.. BearShare all the way.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/20/05 at 1:44 pm

I think my e-bay buying days are now limited. I have an account with Pay Pal which is fine. I gave them my credit card info and they just bill my card. No problem. BUT NOW, I discovered that there is a limit and once you hit that limit you have to be "varified" which means you have to give them you bank account info. I don't understand why Pay Pal needs my back account info when everything is being billed to my credit card. I am not comfortable with giving them that info. Some people have suggested just opening a small account just for Pay Pal. If I do that, I would be contributing to a system that I do not like. So, no more Pay Pal for me. If I can buy things on E-bay without them, I will. It just really irritates me.

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/20/05 at 8:34 pm

I think my e-bay buying days are now limited. I have an account with Pay Pal which is fine. I gave them my credit card info and they just bill my card. No problem. BUT NOW, I discovered that there is a limit and once you hit that limit you have to be "varified" which means you have to give them you bank account info. I don't understand why Pay Pal needs my back account info when everything is being billed to my credit card. I am not comfortable with giving them that info. Some people have suggested just opening a small account just for Pay Pal. If I do that, I would be contributing to a system that I do not like. So, no more Pay Pal for me. If I can buy things on E-bay without them, I will. It just really irritates me.

Cat

ya, Paypal and Ebay both are making me mad! I have been a seller and a buyer for years now....and they just keep raising their fees. Ebay takes so much money from their sellers, you had better be selling something that will sell like hotcakes...or you will end up being in the hole!!!

Written By: jiminy on 06/20/05 at 8:37 pm

here's an interesting site...
http://www.paypalsucks.com/

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/21/05 at 2:42 pm

here's an interesting site...
http://www.paypalsucks.com/

Very interesting. Thanks for the link.

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/26/05 at 10:57 am

just a few quick questions for those who buy and/or sell on Ebay....

Have you sellers noticed any decrease in sales lately?  Does it seem like people are buying less on Ebay?

and for those that buy....

have you guys noticed that more and more con people are ripping others off on Ebay lately?

Over the past few months we have gotten ripped off several times..and I am getting really sick of it!  I am very careful to look at feedback and everything....yet, people STILL rip you off! >:(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/26/05 at 11:06 am

I have been pretty lucky-and yes I do read the feedback-NOW! There was one thing that I did get a while ago that I wasn't too impressed with that took forever to get here. I will never buy from that person again. The last thing I got, I am still waiting for. I got a tracking # for it last week but it just seems to be taking a long time to get here. I am assuming if there is a tracking # that it has been shipped out. I really can't blaim the seller if the Post Office is slow.

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/26/05 at 11:11 am

I have been pretty lucky-and yes I do read the feedback-NOW! There was one thing that I did get a while ago that I wasn't too impressed with that took forever to get here. I will never buy from that person again. The last thing I got, I am still waiting for. I got a tracking # for it last week but it just seems to be taking a long time to get here. I am assuming if there is a tracking # that it has been shipped out. I really can't blaim the seller if the Post Office is slow.

Cat

yes, if you were supplied a tracking number.....you can go to www.usps.com and see if it has been shipped out or not.  Yes, the postal service is rather slow sometimes! ::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/26/05 at 11:27 am

yes, if you were supplied a tracking number.....you can go to www.usps.com and see if it has been shipped out or not.  Yes, the postal service is rather slow sometimes! ::)

I have already checked it out and it only tells me that it was sent priorty last Tuesday. I don't understand why it is taking THIS long. It is insured so if I don't get it soon, I will probably be getting my $$ back.

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/26/05 at 1:07 pm

I have already checked it out and it only tells me that it was sent priorty last Tuesday. I don't understand why it is taking THIS long. It is insured so if I don't get it soon, I will probably be getting my $$ back.

Cat

wow, that is really odd, especially considering that it was sent priority (which guarantees that the package will be delivered within usually 1-3 days). Have you tried contacting the seller regarding the matter?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/26/05 at 1:19 pm

wow, that is really odd, especially considering that it was sent priority (which guarantees that the package will be delivered within usually 1-3 days). Have you tried contacting the seller regarding the matter?

No, not yet. Maybe I should.

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/26/05 at 1:20 pm

No, not yet. Maybe I should.

Cat

yes, I would definitely do that Cat, because due to the method of shipping, it should have definitely been to you by now. I hope everything works out!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/26/05 at 1:34 pm

yes, I would definitely do that Cat, because due to the method of shipping, it should have definitely been to you by now. I hope everything works out!!

Just contacted them. I shall see what's up.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 09/26/05 at 6:38 pm

My Father is a member of Ebay!

Written By: shiprunner12 on 09/26/05 at 6:52 pm

I've gotten 4 pairs of shoes, a paintball gun, and 2 video games off of Ebay so far. I've never sold anything though.

Check for new replies or respond here...