inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ever "Googled" etc. Your Name?!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/07/05 at 9:58 pm

I was apparently involved in the:

INDOOR CRICKET WORLD
1984 Australian Nationals
:o

and that's just for starters :D

Subject: Re: Ever "Googled" etc. Your Name?!

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/07/05 at 10:02 pm

My full (real) name brings up sites where my name has been listed (school site etc)
My username brings up this site as well as various other sites (some about shirts... for sale etc, others where the words "good red shirt" are written in that order on the page)

Nothing too exciting

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/07/05 at 10:04 pm

My full (real) name brings up sites where my name has been listed (school site etc)
My username brings up this site as well as various other sites (some about shirts... for sale etc, others where the words "good red shirt" are written in that order on the page)

Nothing too exciting

Oh I just meant your real name :)

Written By: Apricot on 05/07/05 at 10:27 pm

My name tends to bring up a ton of crap... there are 6 others {not including my dad} with my name in this state ALONE. So nothing too interesting, just mediocre managers at steel mills, people who work for the Pretzel company, etc.

Apricot gets a ton of crap too. Recipes and dietary stuff, mostly. Apparently, Apricots are some of the best foods you can eat, fiber-wise.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/07/05 at 11:20 pm

My name tends to bring up a ton of crap... there are 6 others {not including my dad} with my name in this state ALONE. So nothing too interesting, just mediocre managers at steel mills, people who work for the Pretzel company, etc.

Apricot gets a ton of crap too. Recipes and dietary stuff, mostly. Apparently, Apricots are some of the best foods you can eat, fiber-wise.
I'm trying to contact people with my last name to trace my roots ???

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/07/05 at 11:35 pm

I'm trying to contact people with my last name to trace my roots ???
Aparrently, I'm the only one in the world with my first and last name (eg: I'm the only Luke <lastname>) according to google.

Written By: NullandVoid on 05/08/05 at 12:21 am

yeah and only one thing pops up. An extremely old decades board post back when my name was "SheRa340"

Written By: jackas on 05/08/05 at 12:43 am

Yeah I have.  It brings up a picture of me from the base newspaper back at Travis AFB. :P

Written By: Climber on 05/08/05 at 2:12 am

It depends on how I type my name.  One way brings up a Playboy Playmate with the same name.  :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/08/05 at 2:53 am

My real name is shared with Social Psychology author in the USA and of the only reference to my name, when I was searching for some ancestors of mine.

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/08/05 at 5:40 am

I own an Estate Agents apparently  ???
I'm also involved in auctioneering, i'm an honorary senior lecturer at the University Of Dundee, I have been posting threads in TheServerSide.com, and i'm part of the Institutional Equity Sales at MbCapital.com, which I joined in 2004.
Strange, I don't recall doing all this. I must've been drunk...

Written By: Ripp on 05/08/05 at 7:18 am

I seem to be involved in Celebration Cameras...married John Hymers...died several times...also married John Hayes...

um...

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/08/05 at 7:21 am

I seem to be involved in Celebration Cameras...married John Hymers...died several times...also married John Hayes...

um...

guess you were drunk too!  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/08/05 at 7:23 am

um...
Can this reinforce the belief in reincarnation?

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/08/05 at 7:25 am

Can this reinforce the belief in reincarnation?

;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/08/05 at 7:27 am

Somewhile back I did share my (real) name with a German fireman who has won distinguished medals for bravery.

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/08/05 at 7:38 am

Just MNS'd my name, and now i'm a headteacher at a primary school, im a volunteer project worker for NHS Modernisation Agency, I wrote a book with a woman called Christine who shares my surname (and i've got a cousin called Christine! Spooky!) called 'A Growing Art For You', i'm a Nurse Lecturer who wrote a report for School of Nursing and Midwifery Studies, University of Wales, Bangor, and I won the Garden Writer's Guild Award - the 2003 Practical Book of the Year Award. I'm special

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/08/05 at 7:43 am

* Note: I meant to say MSN in my last post

According to NTL home i'm have my own motor company, i'm a writer for the Chicago-Sun Times and I own my own b & b in Ireland

Written By: Powerslave on 05/08/05 at 8:33 am

I got an email from a guy in Canada once who had the same name as me after he'd Googled himself. Apparently he'd emailed everyone else with the same name too. Now when I Google my name (I changed it after I got married), nothing comes up! But if I Google one of my screen names (Goreripper), it brings up over 3,000 pages. :)

Written By: Ripp on 05/08/05 at 8:36 am

If I google my full name (Elizabeth Ann Marie *no last name inserted*) it comes up with nothing!!!!!!!

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/08/05 at 8:40 am

Are there any John Smiths on these boards?

Written By: Alchoholica on 05/08/05 at 9:47 am

Considering i have what could be called an uncommon name..

I am suprised.

I am a barrister, own a hotel in Pennsylvania, I'm a IT Professor at Griffith University, am some descrition fot teacher at Haskell University, I am a sprint revelation of 2004 and a member of team USA, won the Stratford state Long Jump, live in Silver Spring; Maryland...

The main person of my name sake is the runner Andrew Rock, i smell an e-mail as i know that very distant members of the Rock (O'Rourke) family moved to Canada and the States a couple hundred years ago.

Now, if i search for the origional Irish family name O'Rourke.. well a past king of Ireland is mentioned, and genealogical research indicates around a 95% fit that we are indeed related. BOW BEFORE ME MINIONS!

Written By: chaka on 05/08/05 at 9:51 am

I'm supposed to be a writer ???

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/08/05 at 9:53 am

I'm supposed to be a writer ???

Hey, it's better than being a 'Nurse Lecturer'!  :(

Written By: chaka on 05/08/05 at 9:53 am

;D

Written By: Alchoholica on 05/08/05 at 9:54 am

You could do worse than being surrounded by Nurses all day.. especially if they needed a good mark.

If ya smell what The Rock is cookin'  ;)

Written By: Bobby on 05/08/05 at 10:00 am

I'm an actor.

Written By: chaka on 05/08/05 at 10:03 am

^a comedian??
;)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/08/05 at 10:12 am

I googled my real name, and found nothing.  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/08/05 at 10:24 am

How can you lecture about nursing?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/08/05 at 12:21 pm

Yup-found a lot of letters to the editor that I have written-and other articles that I was mentioned in-plus the website of the organization I used to volunteer for (they haven't up-dated their website in a LONG, LONG time-one of the things that used to bug me when I was on the board.) I also did my maiden name and came up with my high school's website and such like that. But what really floored me (and it was my sister who discovered this-not me) is that I am mentioned on a genealogy site for my ex-husband's family. The reason why I didn't find it is because they used my middle name (something I NEVER use), so I never thought to plug that in to google.

I have also plugged in other family members, too. I once found that one college course (can't remember the college) was using some of Carlos' writings in their curriculum-I thought that was pretty cool.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 05/08/05 at 6:11 pm

HOWARD A. STARR, Ph.D.

Howard Starr joined Austin College in 1964 and currently serves as Dean of Social Sciences and Professor of Psychology. In addition to current duties he has served as Dean of Educational Development, Chair of Psychology and Sociology, and Vice President for College Relations.
Dr. Starr hold a B.A. degree from the University of Dallas, M.A. from Southern Methodist University, and a Ph.D. from Texas A&M at Commerce. He is certified as a Licensed Professional Counselor in the State of Texas and is American Society of Clinical Hypnosis certified in clinical hypnosis. Dr. Starr is actively involved in Home Hospice of Grayson and Fannin Counties, an organization which he founded in the 1980’s.

Dr. Starr regularly teaches in addition to being Dean of Social Sciences. His courses include Psychopathology; Psychology of Human Sexuality; Psychology of Death & Dying, Loss & Grief; Psychology of Relationships; and Psychology of Anger Management. His research interests include hypnosis, mind/body interaction, and grief and bereavement as it relates to physical and emotional health.

Wow,I never knew I was a psychologist and a sociologist? ;D  Why don't you type your whole full name and post that person who  also has the first and last name as you do. ;D  This is gonna be fun.  ;D

Written By: nally on 05/08/05 at 7:32 pm

I haven't done it yet...but I do know that there's a professional baseball pitcher with the exact same first and last name as me. He's been with the Mariners twice, and the Yankees twice, and I think he was with the Rangers last year. There's also an umpire with my first and last name.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 05/14/05 at 9:49 am

Yeah, it gives you links about Spina Bifida.

~Beth :)

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 05/14/05 at 11:03 am

Well, whadda ya know!  The first thing it brings up is actually me!  1st place piano solo 2002, yup that's me.

Written By: nally on 05/14/05 at 12:17 pm

Well, whadda ya know!   The first thing it brings up is actually me!   1st place piano solo 2002, yup that's me.

That's amazing! 8) ;)

I'll try it sometime...chances are it may bring up at least 100,000 results...

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/14/05 at 12:23 pm

Out of interest, there is about 61,700,000 references for John Smith.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/14/05 at 1:09 pm

Out of interest, there is about 61,700,000 references for John Smith.

My "step" uncle was John Smith-I wonder if he is one of those 61,700,000.  :-\\  (yes, WAS-past tense  :\'( )

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 05/14/05 at 2:04 pm

I've died.  A couple of links leading back here.  Someone else with my name on another board and, apparently I have pics on a XXX lesbian site. ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/14/05 at 2:10 pm

There is a musician with the same name as my screen-name, also not to mention Brian Eno.

Written By: Bobby on 05/14/05 at 4:25 pm

^a comedian??
;)

Ha ha! Not quite Chaka. He played straight roles (what I know of him).  :)

Written By: gemini61 on 05/14/05 at 4:30 pm

I just googled my maiden name and it's really me! A girl I went to school with, mentioned me and some others as being in her first grade class. :)  Cool!  8)

Written By: Howard on 05/14/05 at 4:56 pm

http://www.markbrodyart.com/images/name.gif

I googled Robin's Father and this is what I came up with. ;D

Written By: nally on 05/14/05 at 6:50 pm

One time long ago...in 2003, I did google my current username, and it had approximately 50,000 results, the first of which was "Rand McNally", a road atlas company. But I still haven't googled my real name yet.

Written By: shiprunner12 on 05/14/05 at 7:21 pm

The only one that came up with my exact name was actually me for being in the newspaper.

Written By: Apricot on 05/14/05 at 10:08 pm

"Apricot" yields "Official site of the Asia Pacific Regional Internet Conference on Operational Technologies."  ;D

Written By: Ripp on 05/15/05 at 2:47 pm

lol, if i had googled one of my other names (Lixa) i'd probably get portugese DIY sites. lol!

Written By: Ripp on 05/15/05 at 2:48 pm

I WAS RIGHT! :D

Written By: karen on 05/16/05 at 4:39 am

Searching for my first name and last name on Google the first page which comes up is me!  It's from some work pages that mention me.  That means I've displaced the librarian in London School of Economics!

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/16/05 at 7:29 am

I've died.  A couple of links leading back here.  Someone else with my name on another board and, apparently I have pics on a XXX lesbian site. ::)

I knew it!  :D  It's always the quiet ones Dagny  :P

Written By: Paul on 05/16/05 at 7:37 am

I have a namesake in Sydney, Australia who works as a Hot Tapping & Plugging Technician...wow!

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/16/05 at 7:42 am

I did this back in the early days of my net access.  Having a reasonably uncommon name I wasn't expecting to find anything but me (where I had submitted photos and things to some historical sites..)

Now, to set the scene : This was also at the time where I was heavily into downloading from Napster, whilst nervously looking over my shoulder..... ;D

So I google my name, and yes I find the references to me that I thought I would find and THEN!.....

I find a reference regarding 'downloading and the use of Napster' and I just freaked out  :o :o :o :o :o

It took me a couple of minutes to compose myself to read the rest and find out it was a research article by some dude at a Melbourne University regarding MP3's in general - took about 10 years off my life  :P :P :P :P :P

Having a look tonight, I see I am also on the Butte County's Most Wanted Fugitives list  :o :o :o

http://www.buttecounty.net/sheriffs/Captured.htm

Written By: jaytee on 05/16/05 at 9:00 am

Having a look tonight, I see I am also on the Butte County's Most Wanted Fugitives list  :o :o :o

What'd you do!?  :D

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/17/05 at 4:26 am

What'd you do!?  :D

If I tells ya I will haveta kills ya  :o :P :P :P :P

So watchout jaytee  ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Gis on 05/17/05 at 4:50 am

Apparently I'm selling real estate in South Africa, Making chocolates in Australia, I have a Jazz single out in Germany, I work at BMW in Germany and I'm also on a German dating agency !?! (don't tell the fiance about the last one !  ;) ) Boy I do seem to spread myself around the world no wonder I'm so tired !

Oh and there is a state in Arizona called after my first name cool !

Written By: Dagwood on 05/17/05 at 11:21 pm

I knew it! :D It's always the quiet ones Dagny :P

;D

I guess I'm busted. ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...