inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: ice cream trucks, lemonade stands and other summer traditions

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/09/05 at 10:21 am

hey guys....

do any of you remember the ice cream trucks that would ride around the neighborhood, playing a little jingle tune and would stop and let kids buy their choice of ice cream?

When we were young..there was an ice cream truck that would come in our neighboorhood...but never make it over to our street....it would always go like 2 or 3 streets from us...we could hear the music playing...and then all of a sudden...it would be gone.

Well..we just recently moved to a neighborhood...where there are a lot of children...and guess what?? about a week ago I was in my livingroom and all of a sudden I heard a very familiar tune coming from outside...I look out the window....and there it was....an ICE CREAM TRUCK!!!  Let's just say that I was really excited!!!!

What are some other summer traditions you all remember as a child??

Erin :)

Subject: Re: ice cream trucks, lemonade stands and other summer traditions

Written By: chaka on 05/09/05 at 10:24 am

Spraying everybody with waterpistols *lol*

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/09/05 at 10:27 am

yay...the waterguns were always fun!!!

did you ever hear of a "slip and slide"?

It was a long piece of plastic that a sprinkler would run water all over and you could run and slide on it....it was really fun..however, you always had grass all over you when you were finished!

Written By: karen on 05/09/05 at 10:28 am

Where I lived as a kid we regularly had two different ice-cream vans coming round.  I can remember my mum going out with a basin for them to fill for the family to have as dessert on more than one occasion.

We preferred Tonibell ice cream which was a whipped white one compared to the other one who sold scoops from a tubs on the cone.

The house I moved to when I got married also had an ice-cream van which called round.  Then we moved to a 'private' (i.e. unmade) road and didn't get one.  Now we live on a very busy road and don't get one because they aren't allowed to stop.  I have heard one in the street behind our house and dashed round but missed them.   :(  This year I will run faster!!  ;D

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/09/05 at 12:04 pm

Because I live on a tropical island, I see ice cream trucks in my neighborhood practically every day of the year!  :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/09/05 at 12:28 pm

We also have an ice cream truck around here.

We used to have kool aid stands.

One time, it started in the kitchen-one of my sisters would splash another sister with water off her hand. Then it escallated to a cup, then a pitcher. Finally we moved outside and got the hose. I think we also went to the store to get balloons and filled them with water. When we were done-it had "rained" just over our house-as well as inside and all of us were soaked.

Cat

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 05/09/05 at 4:20 pm

yay...the waterguns were always fun!!!

did you ever hear of a "slip and slide"?

It was a long piece of plastic that a sprinkler would run water all over and you could run and slide on it....it was really fun..however, you always had grass all over you when you were finished!

Slip and slides are the cause of 80% of my childhood injuries. Those things are wicked.

Oh! I just heard the Ice Cream truck coming down your road not too long ago. I doubted you at first....but now I believe!!!!

~Beth :) :) :)

Written By: danootaandme on 05/09/05 at 6:05 pm

We have the ice cream truck that comes around.  There was also the old guy who sharpened knives, he came around every spring on a three wheel bicycle with a grinder mounted on it and would sharpen all
your household knives.  Once a year we had the church picnic and went to Salem Willows Park with all the
churches from the area and it was the one time all year we got to go on the rides, but weweren't allowed in the arcades.  They still have the church picnic at Salem Willows, but as with everything it is not quite the same. 

Written By: karen on 05/10/05 at 5:14 am

karen, ours don't make cones, they're all pre-packaged "treats", but they're all yummy :)

How can you not have cones or 99's (ice cream cone with a chocolate flake in it)? 

The van near the park in town has a new dispenser the puts the sauce staright onto the ice cream as its going onto the cone.  It makes a lovely spiral swirl on it.

Written By: Apricot on 05/10/05 at 5:19 am

DUDE! WE JUST GOT AN ICE CREAM TRUCK IN TOWN!

I've been saying for years "Dude, we need an ice cream truck." and sure enough, we just got one. It goes right by my house.  :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/10/05 at 9:25 am

we used to have this octopus looking thing that would connect to a hose and it's tentacles (hoses) would spray water everywhere...and we would run through it...it was like a sprinkler type thing.

We used to have lemonade/kool-aid stands.....and we'd have garage sales alot as well in the summer time.

At night...all the kids in the neighborhood would get together and play games like "Red Rover, Hide & Seek, etc".....it was alot of fun!!

Written By: karen on 05/10/05 at 10:02 am

A friend's dad used to set up a water slide like you describe.  My garden wasn't big enough for one.

We used to have a paddling pool as an almost permanent feature in the garden in the summer.  I bought one last year for my two and they used it a couple of times and complained about how cold the water was.  I'm fairly certain my parents just used the hose to fill it when I was a kid.

The sprinkler octopusses/flower head things are sort of illegal here unless your water is metered.  You aren't supposed to put a sprinkler on your lawn unless you are water metered and these apparently count as a sprinkler.

Written By: ADH13 on 05/10/05 at 10:21 pm

My dad loved going to the race tracks.  We used to go to Belmont alot (not sure if its in NY or NJ) and I can remember alot of old men would be smoking pipes.  I used to love that smell.  I haven't smelled pipe tobacco in years... but whenever I do smell it, it reminds me of that racetrack.  That racetrack also had a duck pond, and I used to always bring a loaf of bread along to feed the ducks.

Written By: Apricot on 05/11/05 at 5:30 am

We had one of those "Crocodile Mile" things... you ran up to it and slid down the slippery thing. I had to constantly nag before someone would set it up {I wasn't allowed to}, and I only got to use it ONCE. That's right, ONCE. All of the 6-7 years we had it. Why? After the first time, we went into a drought. Stupid state went in a drought. Now, we're out, but I'm too old, and we don't have it.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/11/05 at 7:17 am

awww apricot...it's never too late to get wet and wild in the summertime!!

I would suggest going to your local toy store....buying a sweet slip n' slide.....

set it up by yourself.....

and just go CRAZY on it!! LOL!

that would be quite fun! :D

Erin :0

Written By: jiminy on 05/11/05 at 7:24 am

milk, milk, lemonade around the corner chocolate's made  :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/11/05 at 7:27 am

ha....we used to say that...

except we said "fudge" instead of chocolate!

LOL!

Written By: Paul on 05/11/05 at 7:29 am

There's not many children around my area, so the ice cream van is rarely seen...

However, one or two do fly around the district...

I heard one the other day - trouble was, it was a completely miserable day weatherwise...'That guy's optimistic', I thought to myself...!

Written By: karen on 05/11/05 at 9:16 am

in response to Paul's comment.

We have a market 2 days a week in my town and there is always an ice cream van whatever the weather.  What's weirder is that I've seen people buying from them in January!

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 05/11/05 at 12:39 pm

There are no ice cream trucks or lemonade stands out in the country  :\'(
All I remember is doing summer chores: cuttin weeds, mowing grass, washing the car, etc.  Even as a little kid it was just work work work.  My dad says he remembers me at 3 yrs old helping him out  ("Hey Daddy! I'm *snacking* wood!")

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 05/11/05 at 12:40 pm

milk, milk, lemonade around the corner chocolate's made  :D

....stick yor finger in the hole, now u got a tootsie roll!    ;D

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 05/11/05 at 1:27 pm

awww apricot...it's never too late to get wet and wild in the summertime!!

I would suggest going to your local toy store....buying a sweet slip n' slide.....

set it up by yourself.....

and just go CRAZY on it!! LOL!

that would be quite fun! :D

Erin :0

Dude, you're not too old. Heck, if I still had a slip and slide...(and they weren't so bloody lethal) I would so go on it.

~Beth

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/25/05 at 4:00 pm

did you guys have activities at your local playgrounds during the summer?  Sort of like a daycamp type of thing where they would have activities, crafts, snacks...etc???

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 07/02/05 at 9:50 pm

Dude, the funniest thing I've seen in a while, happened with Erins neighborhood ice cream truck. I was sitting on the porch, and I saw the ice cream truck round the corner. About 6 children started to run after it, money in hand. They thought it was going to stop, but instead it like ZOOMED right past them. It was hilarious, you should have seen their faces. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.

~Beth

Written By: TC1970 on 07/03/05 at 5:44 am

The ice cream truck still comes around here.

He passed through last week and I suddenly yell out ICECREAM. I run inside and grab some change and send my nephew over for some ice cream. As this all happened Eddie Murphy's ice cream truck skit came to mind.  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/15/06 at 8:43 pm

We used to love to go out at night in the yard and catch lightning bugs (fireflies) and put them in jars.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/15/06 at 8:44 pm

In my neighborhood in Chicago, we didn't have any of that stuff in the thread title.

Written By: Darkbreed on 05/15/06 at 8:47 pm

In summer i like playing on the slip and slide,

Written By: Apricot on 05/15/06 at 8:57 pm

The ice cream truck made it's first rounds last week.. it has a new route now, doesn't pass my house. I'll just have to flag it down when I walk the dog.

Written By: Dominic L. on 05/15/06 at 9:29 pm

I saw one the other day... Wonder why they don't come in the winter, when we really need them!

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/15/06 at 9:31 pm

The one thing I do remember were the Elotes guys.  They'd have this little carts they'd push around and you could buy corn on the cob and get it covered with any toppings you wanted (my sister liked cheese, butter, paprika and lime juice) and I always got the sliced cucumbers covered in lime juice and paprika.  Those were so good.  They'd ring bells on the handle to let you know they were coming and everytime I hear a noise like that down here, I think of them.

Written By: Tam on 05/15/06 at 9:35 pm

We heard the ice cream truck a couple weeks ago..

When I was growing up we had 'Dickie Dee'
Students had the jobs and they would ride around on large tricycles ringing bells and selling ice creams and popsicles from the freezer attached!!! LOL sounds kind of stupid now

Written By: whistledog on 05/15/06 at 9:38 pm

Around here, there used to be Dickie Dee.  People who drive these Ice Cream Bicycles around the neighbourhood.  They'd ring their bells, and the kids would come running to get some ice cream

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/15/06 at 9:41 pm

I used to have a lemonade stand when I was like 10-12 years old, then I would spend all the money I made on a crappy dairy queen hot dog lunch, lol.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/15/06 at 9:42 pm

my mom used to have those trays to make homemade popsicles in...I used to love the taste of a kool-aid or grape juice popsicle on a hot summer's day. ;)

Written By: Dominic L. on 05/15/06 at 9:43 pm

my mom used to have those trays to make homemade popsicles in...I used to love the taste of a kool-aid or grape juice popsicle on a hot summer's day. ;)

The funny thing is, they don't taste any different! :P

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/15/06 at 9:45 pm

The funny thing is, they don't taste any different! :P

no, they don't...but it makes me think of my childhood...when we would be outside playing all day, and we would take a quick break for a popsicle or something cold....then off to play again. :D

Written By: whistledog on 05/15/06 at 9:45 pm

Jas!!! Get out of my head!!!!! ;D ;D

;D

Dickie Dee was the best.  I used to love those Spacesicles (red, white and blue flavoured popsicles) 8)

Written By: whistledog on 05/15/06 at 9:59 pm

oh those were/are the best! We call them "rocket pops"...but they are the same. My dad would always buy those for us. ;)

now I am hungry for one ;D

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 05/15/06 at 11:32 pm

We used to love to go out at night in the yard and catch lightning bugs (fireflies) and put them in jars.

Summers at the old house were wonderful. Sitting on Pee-wee's porch at night. Windy usually came to the house in the evenings to color on the driveway with chalk. Shoot, she was a weird kid, but I miss her tonight! Ugh, one of those moods.

Written By: Dominic L. on 05/15/06 at 11:53 pm

Windy's a ghost! :O

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 05/16/06 at 12:10 am

Windy's a ghost! :O

No doubt about it.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/16/06 at 5:18 am

The Big Rock Candy Mountain

attr. to Harry "Haywire Mac" McClintock

On a summer day
In the month of May
A burly bum came hiking
Down a shady lane
Through the sugar cane
He was looking for his liking
As he roamed along
He sang a song
Of the land of milk and honey
Where a bum can stay
For many a day
And he won't need any money

Chorus:
Oh the buzzin' of the bees
In the cigarette trees
Near the soda water fountain
At the lemonade springs
Where the bluebird sings
On the big rock candy mountain

Written By: karen on 05/16/06 at 5:24 am

The other day it was quite warm and I said to the children we could go home and get an ice lolly.  They went into the kitchen and started rummaging in one of the cereal boxes.  The free gift was an ice lolly maker!  Haven't worked out how they thought it would keep frozen in the cupboard!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/16/06 at 6:27 am

Summers at the old house were wonderful. Sitting on Pee-wee's porch at night. Windy usually came to the house in the evenings to color on the driveway with chalk. Shoot, she was a weird kid, but I miss her tonight! Ugh, one of those moods.

yup! And...all of the neighborhood kids would be out late, playing games and riding their bikes.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/16/06 at 6:38 am

A warm, humid evening, mozzies in the air, the wafting smell of greasy snags on steaks on the barbie, playing footy and cricket in the Park. Going to the Beach. All very Australian traditions.

Written By: Gis on 05/16/06 at 6:40 am

I love the warm evenings of late summer when you can smell the harvested corn in the air.

Written By: lorac61469 on 05/16/06 at 10:03 am

I loved when the ice cream man came around.  There was the Good Humor man (had to get either a Strawberry Shortcake or Chocolate Eclair) or Mr. Softee (Either a vanilla cone or an Italian Ice.).  The best however was the truck that sold Ralph's Homemade Italian ices.\, it was soft and served in a paper holder.  Chocolate was the best.

Also there was a man that came around and gave us rides in his horse carriage (some old plywood and a few bald tires...can't believe my mom let us ride in that thing!!  LOL!!)

Then there were a couple of rides that came around.  The Whip and another one that I can't remember the name of (usually amusement parks have a larger version in the shape of a ship that swings back and forth) and after the ride they would give us ice pops.

We would swim everyday and the best place to swim was at Jill's house, she had an in-the-ground-pool.  Her mom would always invite us for dinner, usually a meal of BBQ chicken, stove top stuffing and salad (with either 7 Seas Italian or Green Goddess dressing).  Sometimes I make that exact meal.

There was also the "Greek Festival" with rides and games and incredible green food!!!

4th of July was a giant block party.

Oh the memories...I could go on and on.

I live in the country now, and we never see the ice cream man.  :\'(
We were in NY last summer visiting my sister and my daughter saw the ice cream truck for the first time, she was so excited.  I even had an urge to scream "WAIT!!!!" at the top of my lungs!!  LOL!!

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/16/06 at 10:07 am

I used to like going to the lake to swim. :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/05/06 at 12:21 pm

Gosh...I love summer.  It reminds me so much of my childhood. Today, I heard the ice cream truck and it's ever popular jingle perusing the streets of my neighborhood. I knew that the sound would wake Vaughn up from his nap....but I didn't even care. Sure enough, I heard him run around in his room and suddenly he came running down the stairs, exclaiming that he noticed the ice cream truck while peeking out his bedroom blinds.  We hurried outside and caught him just in time, and now Vaughn is currently savoring each bite of his gigantic SpongeBob Squarepants Popsicle with the bubblegum eyeballs.  The signs of summer....children laughing and playing outside until dusk, the jingle of the ice cream truck making its rounds, and the faint smell nearly every night, of something good cooking on someone's grill....summer is GREAT.  :)

Written By: jackas on 06/05/06 at 2:15 pm

Dude, the funniest thing I've seen in a while, happened with Erins neighborhood ice cream truck. I was sitting on the porch, and I saw the ice cream truck round the corner. About 6 children started to run after it, money in hand. They thought it was going to stop, but instead it like ZOOMED right past them. It was hilarious, you should have seen their faces. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.

~Beth

This is really funny! :D ;D :D ;D

Written By: jackas on 06/05/06 at 2:21 pm

now I am hungry for one ;D

Those are absolutely delicious!  We called them bomb pops.

http://www.marinaicecream.com/images/Wells/Original%20Bomb%20Pop.gif

Written By: Apricot on 06/05/06 at 2:27 pm

The truck has already stopped, oddly enough.. last year, it didn't stop until late July.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/05/06 at 2:32 pm

Yes, Mr. Whippy vans have become progressively less sightable in recent years. Which is a shame, because the gleeful cry of children in the heat of a summer day is a memory that hangs in my memory like so much insect repellant on a tepid day.

Written By: jackas on 06/05/06 at 2:38 pm

The weird thing about the ice cream man is that he played the same song, no matter where I lived......So Cal, Phoenix and Pensacola.  They played that song Turkey in the Straw.  Is that the only tune they sell for ice cream trucks.

Turkey in the Straw  http://www.contemplator.com/america/turkeyis.html

Written By: jackas on 06/05/06 at 2:42 pm

Another thing I used to see growing up in Southern California was the Mexican guy who walk from street to street pushing the ice cream cart.  There was a little bell on the handle bar that he would ring the whole time.  I don't think they sold traditional ice creams, I think they were fruit bars or something.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/05/06 at 2:42 pm

The weird thing about the ice cream man is that he played the same song, no matter where I lived......So Cal, Phoenix and Pensacola.  They played that song Turkey in the Straw.  Is that the only tune they sell for ice cream trucks.

They probably played that same song Downunder as well, lol.

Written By: jackas on 06/05/06 at 2:53 pm

They probably played that same song Downunder as well, lol.

I think it's a Civil War song or from that period.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/05/06 at 2:54 pm

I think it's a Civil War song or from that period.

Oh really? I wonder if the Mr. Whippy down here is the same one as the American one...

Written By: Apricot on 06/05/06 at 3:29 pm

The trucks around here also play "Happy Birthday", "Pop Goes The Weasel" and "London Bridge".

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/05/06 at 3:49 pm

our ice cream truck (when we were young) played this one song...I don't know what it is called...but they played it all the time. I can't remember what song the ice cream truck plays in our current neighborhood.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 06/05/06 at 3:51 pm

The ice cream truck has been around our subdivision more times this year (already) than I've seen him TOTAL in the past 6 years we've lived here.  Guess they finally figured out that they'll make a killing here ::)  It plays this stupid song that I've never heard, but sounds like a bad ringtone ;D

Written By: Howard on 06/05/06 at 4:32 pm

http://www.jkf.org/Logos/Mr-Softee.jpg

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/05/06 at 5:01 pm

I loved summer because we had a pool in our backyard and I'd spend hours in it. I'd even help my dad level the chemicals in the water so we could swim in it. I'd help him clean out the filter that swept the bottom of the pool. I'd fish for dead bugs with the blue net. I'd clean off the lounge chairs and help with the gardening.

We use to have HUGE inflatable animals we'd ride on and we'd pump air in them with our bicycle pump. The inner tubes we'd blow into.

My mom would serve us peanut butter on saltine crackers. Sounds disgusting, but after swimming for countless hours, it was the best looking treat in the world.

One year, my brother rounded up his neighborhood friends and turned our sideyard into a miniature baseball field. He nailed in some fake grass on the fence (still don't know why?) and the boys would take turns pitching to one another. They beat the fence in and eventually we needed to replace it.

Written By: jackas on 06/05/06 at 5:14 pm

The trucks around here also play "Happy Birthday", "Pop Goes The Weasel" and "London Bridge".

Yeah, on occasion the guys back home would play Pop Goes the Weasel too.

Written By: karen on 06/06/06 at 7:31 am

The ice cream van I heard at the weekend played a TV theme tune.  Match of the Day (or some other sports programme).

Any day now my son is going to ask to have the paddling pool out!

Written By: CeeKay on 06/06/06 at 9:05 am

I loved summer because we had a pool in our backyard and I'd spend hours in it. I'd even help my dad level the chemicals in the water so we could swim in it. I'd help him clean out the filter that swept the bottom of the pool. I'd fish for dead bugs with the blue net. I'd clean off the lounge chairs and help with the gardening.

We had a pool too.  That was a great thing to have growing up.  It made summer fun even if you were the only kid around.

Written By: KKay on 06/06/06 at 9:20 am

We had a pool too.  That was a great thing to have growing up.  It made summer fun even if you were the only kid around.

I would stay in the pool until my lips turned purple and was shivering! 
Con, I know i asked you this before...remember the snapping turtle?

OH! and thos styrofoam surf boards that left little pearls of plastic all over the surface of the water?

Written By: CeeKay on 06/06/06 at 9:58 am

I would stay in the pool until my lips turned purple and was shivering! 
Con, I know i asked you this before...remember the snapping turtle?

OH! and thos styrofoam surf boards that left little pearls of plastic all over the surface of the water?

YES, those styrofoam boards.  And they'd leave rub marks across your stomach or your thighs.

Yeah, I remember the snapping turtle.  Well, are you talking about the bop the beatle game?  (first, I'm thinking a real snapping turtle -- since they were there in the little ponds in the woods that once existed on the island).

Back to the pool.......we used to play a game where we made up various silly ways to jump into the water.  You had to name your jumps.  Complete silly childhood play.  I miss that!

Written By: KKay on 06/06/06 at 10:02 am

YES, those styrofoam boards.  And they'd leave rub marks across your stomach or your thighs.

Yeah, I remember the snapping turtle.  Well, are you talking about the bop the beatle game?  (first, I'm thinking a real snapping turtle -- since they were there in the little ponds in the woods that once existed on the island).

Back to the pool.......we used to play a game where we made up various silly ways to jump into the water.  You had to name your jumps.  Complete silly childhood play.  I miss that!

Bahahahahahahahaha!!!!!
The jumping game...they were all the same anyway...twisted arms and hands...and making a whirlpool.
yeah, the real live snapping turtle that was under the deck.- funny.

Written By: La Roche on 06/06/06 at 10:29 am

The Three Villages Soccer Game.

Every summer, about 200 people from the three villages (Why they have the name village I don't know, all are towns and have been for some time) would congregate, split in to their own teams and then the tournament would start.

Ending several days later with a winner who for the rest of the year had the first claim on the best soccer field in the area.

Nobody knows when it started, but my old man claimed to have played in it as well, so one would assume some time ago.

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/06/06 at 10:40 am

YES, those Styrofoam boards.  And they'd leave rub marks across your stomach or your thighs.

WE had a pool too, and the Styrofoam boards.  I also had the egg shaped Styrofoam thing that you wore on your back, it strapped around your waist.

We did the same thing with the jumps, it's amazing that none of us broke our necks going in head first.

Also, we played ice-cream man under the ladder.  One of us would be behind the ladder, kids would swim up and as for something.  We would go under water and pretend to make a sundae and come back up and hand it out the opening of the ladder.

We'd make waves and my mom would scream because we were letting all the water out. LOL!!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/06/06 at 10:42 am

WE had a pool too, and the Styrofoam boards.  I also had the egg shaped Styrofoam thing that you wore on your back, it strapped around your waist.

We did the same thing with the jumps, it's amazing that none of us broke our necks going in head first.

Also, we played ice-cream man under the ladder.  One of us would be behind the ladder, kids would swim up and as for something.  We would go under water and pretend to make a sundae and come back up and hand it out the opening of the ladder.

We'd make waves and my mom would scream because we were letting all the water out. LOL!!

my grandma used to have a pool...and us grandkids would swim all the time. We would go round and round and make a whirlpool effect. :D

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/06/06 at 10:44 am

Your mum was probably like 'That water costs money! Do you want that money to come out of your allowance!' LOL  :D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/06/06 at 2:43 pm

Yes, that pool was my favorite. I still can never forget how much fun I had in it. I was such a fish. I was the first one in and the last one out. I liked swimming in it alone, but for some stupid reason I used to think some sharks were on the deep end and I was too scared to venture out that way on my own for awhile. lol

Written By: xtine on 06/06/06 at 2:46 pm

when my brother and i were younger, we often went on bike rides with my dad.  since we live in the definition of "suburbia," there was always at least one construction site within biking distance.  my dad would take us to new housing developments and let us run around the construction sites and play in the new houses.

...looking back on it, it was totally unsafe, but it was so much fun. :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/18/07 at 11:44 pm

Well, I thought that I would revive this thread, beings that it's that time of year again.

About a week ago, we heard the familiar sounds of the ice cream truck coming down the road. Vaughn and I hurried up and ran outside just in time. He got a Spiderman ice cream bar. So very cool! 8)

Written By: La Roche on 06/18/07 at 11:55 pm

Every summer I remember we would try and dam up the little river that ran through the park. Man, we'd be out stealing things in the middle of the night in order to be the first kids to finally dam it. For sale signs, fence panels, the side of any sort of storage shed.  ;D

It never ever got properly damed but I do recall us having some success one year when we managed to get a good back up going, so much so that the water ended up flowing over the top of our dam for a couple of hours before it eventually gave way.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/18/07 at 11:59 pm

hahaah...when we were young, we were friends with this family's kids who lived down the road...they were known for garbage picking. So...we used to go with them and swipe people's stuff that they left outside.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/19/07 at 2:41 am

In my neighborhood when I was a kid, the "Goodie Bar" man would drive his ice cream truck through the street.  :)

I also remember me and my brothers having a lemonade stand out front.  But I think we drank more than we sold.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 06/19/07 at 7:34 am

I just love the sound of Mister Softee.

Written By: karen on 06/19/07 at 8:17 am

My children were complaining at the weeked that the ice creamvan doesn't stop on our street.  We live on the main road, right on a busy junction so it never stops nearby.  We can hear it in the road behind us and occasionally I've contemplated dashing round there.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/07 at 8:35 am

Each town has it's own Mr Whippy!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/19/07 at 8:49 am

My children were complaining at the weeked that the ice creamvan doesn't stop on our street.  We live on the main road, right on a busy junction so it never stops nearby.  We can hear it in the road behind us and occasionally I've contemplated dashing round there.

When we were young, it was the same way for us. It always went to the street like 2 streets above us, because there were TONS of kids on that street...but it would never come down to our street. :-\\

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/19/07 at 4:04 pm

Some things we used to do every year:

- Swim in our pool all day and way into the night.
- Hang up foil and sheets in the windows when our AC would go out every once in awhile.
- I remember once we went to this little outside swimming hole for kids. I remember going and they had the pools painted and shaped like you were in a whale's mouth. It was kinda creepy, but neat. I often think back and wonder if it's still around. It didn't seem very sanitary to me, though. It may have been demolished some years ago.

- We'd make homemade popsicles by grinding fruit up and then pouring them in the popsicle shapes and then freeze them. They were so good!!
- We'd go to end of the year school parties.

Written By: Howard on 06/19/07 at 4:31 pm

I remember my favorite popsicle was the one that was shaped like a rainbow.It came in fruit flavors. ???

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/19/07 at 9:16 pm

I remember my favorite popsicle was the one that was shaped like a rainbow.It came in fruit flavors. ???

Shaped like a rainbow? It didn't fall over?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/19/07 at 10:11 pm

my favorite were the red/white/blue rocket pops...those ruled! :D

Written By: Red Ant on 06/20/07 at 1:22 am

A few not-quite-legal summer traditions:

~Opening up a fire hydrant and bathing/swimming in the water. I haven't seen this done in a LONG time, nor have I ever opened one up, but this was great fun for a few years.

~Fireworks. They aren't just for the 4th of July. They aren't for amateurs either: When I was 14, I spend a day in the ER  from a rather spectacular lack of judgement from making my own.

Legal but still dumb: Slip 'n' Slides. These are all fun and games until you bust your ass (more likely your head) on one.

Ice cream trucks were fun, but my favorite thing as a kid was watching and catching firefly's. Glow in the dark insects are very cool. Messing with bats by throwing weighted socks in the air and watching them dive bomb them was fun too.

All day frisbee was a summer tradition as well.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/20/07 at 3:05 am

I remember spending all day at the city pool and getting those little pizzas that cost like 25 cents in the grocery store but they charged like a dollar to make them at the pool (Talk about inflation!)  lol 
We used to get those strawberry popcicles covered in Capt. Crunch.  I get them now every great once in awhile and it just magically transports me back to those fun-filled days of misspent youth.

My family used to go camping alot when I was young and I'd always take my bike out and ride around on the paved roads of the campgrounds.  I LOVED the campfire right before bed.  Melting the marshmallows over the fire.  Wheeeeeeeeee

Written By: Gis on 06/20/07 at 6:17 am

Since moving to this house I have discovered the ice cream van stops right outside at the bottom of our drive, now that is what I call a result! 

Written By: Howard on 06/20/07 at 6:29 am

Shaped like a rainbow? It didn't fall over?

Meat,I was thinking of The "Bomb Pop". http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9gnMiZ9D3lG1UoBwyejzbkF/SIG=12h8tnrd6/EXP=1182425341/**http%3A//www.marinaicecream.com/images/Bomb%2520Pop%2520Jr..gif

Written By: Howard on 06/20/07 at 6:30 am

my favorite were the red/white/blue rocket pops...those ruled! :D

They're also called Bomb Pops.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/20/07 at 6:36 am

Meat,I was thinking of The "Bomb Pop". http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9gnMiZ9D3lG1UoBwyejzbkF/SIG=12h8tnrd6/EXP=1182425341/**http%3A//www.marinaicecream.com/images/Bomb%2520Pop%2520Jr..gif
This lolly looks like Zoom which is consumed in the UK.

Written By: Howard on 06/20/07 at 6:41 am

This lolly looks like Zoom which is consumed in the UK.

what does Zoom look like?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/20/07 at 6:58 am

what does Zoom look like?
http://www.kzwp.com/lyons/lyonsmaid.jpg

Zoom is the one on the top left of the image, but there are other rocket shaped lollies available too.

Written By: Howard on 06/20/07 at 7:22 am

http://www.kzwp.com/lyons/lyonsmaid.jpg

Zoom is the one on the top left of the image, but there are other rocket shaped lollies available too.

ooh,cool look to it. ;)

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/20/07 at 6:55 pm

Looks like there's alot of stuff I never experienced (i.e. slip and slides), although I always liked water pistols and balloons (in fact, popping any balloon is fun). ;)

P.S. Speaking of ice cream trucks, one of my very first Seinfeld-esque observations was about that music. ;D

Written By: loki 13 on 06/20/07 at 7:53 pm

Summertime scenes from my childhood. We had two ice cream trucks vying for our money; Mr. Softee, soft
ice cream as the name suggest, and the Good humor man. In the afternoon, we also had the Belgian Waffle
truck come by, nothing like Belgian Waffles with powdered sugar. There were Whip rides and pony rides for
ten cents and everyday the huckster would come by and sell his fruits and vegetables. Can't forget the knife
sharpening guy and the clothes prop guy and it wasn't unusual to see a lot of kids selling Yum-Yum, a sort of
water ice.

When it was hot we would open up the fire hydrant. After an hour or so the fire department would so up to shut
it off. They finally got tired of shutting it off and they gave us a sprinkler cap for the hydrant.

I think the strangest thing we did as kids was follow the mosquito spraying truck around. The truck would dispence
a fog of mosquito repellent and we kids would follow the truck in the fog, it had an appealing sweet scent, no wonder
I ain't right in the head. ;D

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/20/07 at 8:19 pm

Legal but still dumb: Slip 'n' Slides. These are all fun and games until you bust your ass (more likely your head) on one.

Yanno what'd be gross? If there were a tack on one of those.

Written By: Howard on 06/21/07 at 7:26 am

You'd be slipping more than sliding.  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/21/07 at 10:56 am

Summertime scenes from my childhood. We had two ice cream trucks vying for our money; Mr. Softee, soft
ice cream as the name suggest, and the Good humor man. In the afternoon, we also had the Belgian Waffle
truck come by, nothing like Belgian Waffles with powdered sugar. There were Whip rides and pony rides for
ten cents and everyday the huckster would come by and sell his fruits and vegetables. Can't forget the knife
sharpening guy and the clothes prop guy and it wasn't unusual to see a lot of kids selling Yum-Yum, a sort of
water ice.

When it was hot we would open up the fire hydrant. After an hour or so the fire department would so up to shut
it off. They finally got tired of shutting it off and they gave us a sprinkler cap for the hydrant.

I think the strangest thing we did as kids was follow the mosquito spraying truck around. The truck would dispence
a fog of mosquito repellent and we kids would follow the truck in the fog, it had an appealing sweet scent, no wonder
I ain't right in the head. ;D

karma for your awesome childhood memories...it gave me goosebumps!! :)

hahaha...you never cease to amaze me, with your sick and wonderful humor, Doms! :)

Written By: Marian on 06/21/07 at 12:40 pm

I like lemonade stands as long as it's REAL lemonade or orangeade.Some artificially sweetened ones don't agree with me.Also,they need to give you a full cup or glass--no disposable bathroom cups for 50 cents,please!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/09/08 at 10:49 pm

I thought I would bump this thread, since Summer is here and strong! :D  I can't wait till the ice cream truck starts coming around the neighborhood! I live vicariously through Vaughn..that's for sure! ;)

Written By: Howard on 06/10/08 at 8:16 am

I love Mr.Softee Erin,their chocolate ice cream floats rule.After being in the parking lot all day,it's worth the price of 4 dollars.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/10/08 at 12:47 pm

I love Mr.Softee Erin,their chocolate ice cream floats rule.After being in the parking lot all day,it's worth the price of 4 dollars.

heck ya..that sounds yummy! Our ice cream truck usually starts coming around the neighborhood around the time kids get out of school. Vaughn's been out of school for 2 weeks now..but I haven't heard the familiar sound of the ice cream truck yet. I'm listening for it though!! :D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/10/08 at 1:20 pm

Things I love about summer:

Windows rolled down
Warm air at night
Listening to oldies
Swimming parties
Eichler homes (these just seem to make me think of summertime because they're so retro)
Running through the weeds
Picnic tables
Bright colors
Amusement parks (especially Disneyland and Great America)
Getting a nice, summer glow (not a burnt look, but a healthy tan)
Wearing skirts and dresses
Old Fashioned Bar B Ques
Watching Summertime themed movies (Stand By Me, The Sandlot, Fried Green Tomatoes, State Fair, Summer Magic, Pollyanna, etc)
Tending the garden
Riding bikes/roller skating
Days at the Beach boardwalk
Watermelons
Jukeboxes

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/10/08 at 1:25 pm

Windows rolled down
Warm air at night
Listening to oldies
Swimming parties
Eichler homes (these just seem to make me think of summertime because they're so retro)
Picnic tables
Bright colors
Old Fashioned Bar B Ques
Watching Summertime themed movies (Stand By Me, The Sandlot, Fried Green Tomatoes, State Fair, Summer Magic, Pollyanna, etc)
Tending the garden
Watermelons
Jukeboxes

you just gave me goosebumps Krissy!! :)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/10/08 at 1:28 pm

:) Doncha just love Summer!!  8)

Written By: Howard on 06/10/08 at 2:37 pm

:) Doncha just love Summer!!  8)

All the hot girls come out of hiding. ;)

Written By: Howard on 06/10/08 at 2:39 pm

heck ya..that sounds yummy! Our ice cream truck usually starts coming around the neighborhood around the time kids get out of school. Vaughn's been out of school for 2 weeks now..but I haven't heard the familiar sound of the ice cream truck yet. I'm listening for it though!! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKNRG9hIxGQ

;D

Written By: coqueta83 on 06/10/08 at 7:41 pm

Windows rolled down
Warm air at night
Listening to oldies
Swimming parties
Picnic tables
Bright colors
Old Fashioned Bar B Ques
Tending the garden
Watermelons
Jukeboxes

Awesome list! It's a great way to think of the positive things about summer rather than the yucky heat.  8)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/10/08 at 10:17 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKNRG9hIxGQ

;D

aww..that's so cute! That ice cream truck looks out of place in the big city! ;D

Written By: KKay on 06/10/08 at 10:53 pm

the garden
the beach

and my favorite....daylight savings time..light til 9!!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/10/08 at 11:03 pm

Driving home tonight, I had the car windows down and smelt wood smoke and immediately thought about times when my family went camping when I was a little girl.  I used to love sitting around the camp fire catching marshmallows on fire. 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/10/08 at 11:04 pm

Driving home tonight, I had the car windows down and smelt wood smoke and immediately thought about times when my family went camping when I was a little girl.  I used to love sitting around the camp fire catching marshmallows on fire. 

oh, I love stuff like that too!!

Written By: Howard on 06/11/08 at 6:25 am

aww..that's so cute! That ice cream truck looks out of place in the big city! ;D

Does Mr.Softee come around your area?

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/11/08 at 8:27 am

I like sitting out in the front lawn all night. Where I live it's quite and just lovely.

Ice cream truck was around yesterday.  I really do need to indulge in the tradition.

My parents have a 40 acre farm that includes blackberries and raspberries. :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/11/08 at 1:18 pm

Does Mr.Softee come around your area?

no, it's not a Mr. Softee...it's some other..I think maybe Good Humor or something.

Written By: wsmith4 on 06/11/08 at 3:34 pm

I like sitting out in the front lawn all night. Where I live it's quite and just lovely.

Ice cream truck was around yesterday.  I really do need to indulge in the tradition.

My parents have a 40 acre farm that includes blackberries and raspberries. :)

That sounds so nice.  I live in a very quiet neighborhood, too, but I often find time getting away from me so fast that I forget to relax.  I need to set aside time for just enjoying summer, being outside, breathing the fresh air.  It's not the same as an adult, but we can still enjoy certain aspects when we get a chance :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/11/08 at 9:00 pm

I've been trying to take some time out and enjoy nature this summer. Today I popped a bag of popcorn and shared it with the birds. I sat and watched as swarms of them swooped down and enjoyed the treat. I took some pics of them. It was relaxing. :)

Written By: Howard on 06/11/08 at 10:22 pm

no, it's not a Mr. Softee...it's some other..I think maybe Good Humor or something.

I remember The Good Humor Man.

Written By: Howard on 06/11/08 at 10:22 pm

The Hot Girls. ;)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/12/08 at 8:31 am

That sounds so nice.  I live in a very quiet neighborhood, too, but I often find time getting away from me so fast that I forget to relax.  I need to set aside time for just enjoying summer, being outside, breathing the fresh air.  It's not the same as an adult, but we can still enjoy certain aspects when we get a chance :)

You need to find or make time to enjoy things like that.  It helps to just sit out in the yard and do nothing for a few hours.  It lowers blood pressure. :)

Written By: wsmith4 on 06/12/08 at 10:04 am

I've been trying to take some time out and enjoy nature this summer. Today I popped a bag of popcorn and shared it with the birds. I sat and watched as swarms of them swooped down and enjoyed the treat. I took some pics of them. It was relaxing. :)

What a great experience that must have been!  So cool. 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/12/08 at 11:22 am

What a great experience that must have been!  So cool. 

It definitely was! You wouldn't believe how you start to notice smaller things, once you have a camera in hand. It really seems to make a difference. :)

Written By: wsmith4 on 06/12/08 at 2:00 pm

It definitely was! You wouldn't believe how you start to notice smaller things, once you have a camera in hand. It really seems to make a difference. :)

There have been a couple times that I was outside playing with my dog recently and I'd get on the ground and I could smell the grass...and then I looked down and remembered what it was like to explore things as a kid... in between those blades of grass is a whole nother world... ants and other insects living their lives... it's so crazy how you lose that connection with nature when you get older, but it was nice to recapture it for a moment.

Written By: Howard on 06/12/08 at 10:35 pm

loud music blaring from the cars. ::)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/12/08 at 10:46 pm

There have been a couple times that I was outside playing with my dog recently and I'd get on the ground and I could smell the grass...and then I looked down and remembered what it was like to explore things as a kid... in between those blades of grass is a whole nother world... ants and other insects living their lives... it's so crazy how you lose that connection with nature when you get older, but it was nice to recapture it for a moment.

what you just said reminded me of the movie, Honey, I Shrunk The Kids...remember that one? Could you imagine being THAT small? You would have no choice but to explore all aspects of nature! ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/13/08 at 5:05 am

Louder the chimes from the ice cream van = more customers?

Written By: Howard on 06/13/08 at 6:36 am

and more kids.

Written By: wsmith4 on 06/13/08 at 7:11 am

what you just said reminded me of the movie, Honey, I Shrunk The Kids...remember that one? Could you imagine being THAT small? You would have no choice but to explore all aspects of nature! ;D

LOL I remember that movie, used to love it!  Now it's almost unwatchable.  And Rick Moranis, how did he ever become a star?? LOL  Poor guy...

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/13/08 at 7:28 am

and more kids.
Usually the customers are children.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/13/08 at 3:03 pm

They have to compete with the headphone that some kids wear.

Written By: Howard on 06/13/08 at 6:19 pm

Usually the customers are children.

and Mothers too.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/13/08 at 7:25 pm

I heard an ice cream truck the other day. And it's winter here...

Written By: Howard on 06/13/08 at 10:13 pm

I heard an ice cream truck the other day. And it's winter here...

How is it winter there and summer here?  ???

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/13/08 at 10:24 pm

LOL I remember that movie, used to love it!  Now it's almost unwatchable.  And Rick Moranis, how did he ever become a star?? LOL  Poor guy...

haaha..I still watch all 3 of them with Vaughn! ;D

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/13/08 at 10:47 pm

How is it winter there and summer here?  ???
Ya see,

theres this (imaginary) line called the equator that runs along the middle of the earth and everywhere north of this line is in summer right now (or soon, not yet...) and everything south of that line is in winter.

:D

Written By: Howard on 06/14/08 at 6:53 am

Mosquitoes: another summer tradition. ::)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/14/08 at 9:50 pm

those things suck! I hate when I am at the drive-in and they are biting. Ick. 8-P

Written By: Howard on 06/15/08 at 6:00 am

those things suck! I hate when I am at the drive-in and they are biting. Ick. 8-P

Do you use Caladryl?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/15/08 at 2:52 pm

Wasps and Bees?

Written By: Howard on 06/15/08 at 3:22 pm

Wasps and Bees?

Yes,when they fly in my room. :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/15/08 at 3:32 pm

Yes,when they fly in my room. :o
...and flies!

Written By: Howard on 06/15/08 at 3:50 pm

...and flies!

No,not so much from flies.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/15/08 at 10:39 pm

Do you use Caladryl?

no.

Written By: Howard on 06/15/08 at 10:40 pm

no.

Doesn't it sting?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/15/08 at 10:40 pm

Doesn't it sting?

no, it itches.

Written By: Howard on 06/15/08 at 10:41 pm

no, it itches.

try not to itch it so much.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/15/08 at 10:42 pm

try not to itch it so much.

I'll keep that in mind.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/16/08 at 12:42 am

an ice cream truck went by the house yesterday, playing one of those familiar tunes

Written By: Gis on 06/16/08 at 4:17 am

an ice cream truck went by the house yesterday, playing one of those familiar tunes
It still stopping at the end of our driveway only i had no change in my purse yesterday.  :(

Written By: Howard on 06/16/08 at 5:53 am

It still stopping at the end of our driveway only i had no change in my purse yesterday.  :(

I would've given you money for Ice Cream. :)

Written By: Howard on 06/16/08 at 5:53 am

Was it Good Humor or Mister Softee?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/08 at 5:09 pm

...and the tablets for the dodgy stomach afterwards?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/17/08 at 5:42 pm

Was it Good Humor or Mister Softee?
Good Humor... I think  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 06/17/08 at 10:14 pm

Good Humor... I think  :-\\

Was it the same tune?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/17/08 at 10:21 pm

Was it the same tune?
I think it was the song from the Sting  "The Entertainer"  I think that's the name of it. here's a clip of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uzQuHsqTXo&feature=related

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/18/08 at 12:49 am

I CAN NOT wait until July when I visit my sister in NY, we'll get to see the Ice Cream Man every day.  My kids think it's the greatest thing. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/18/08 at 5:49 am

I think it was the song from the Sting   "The Entertainer"  I think that's the name of it. here's a clip of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uzQuHsqTXo&feature=related
Greenselves is a popular chime over here.

Written By: Howard on 06/18/08 at 6:07 am

I CAN NOT wait until July when I visit my sister in NY, we'll get to see the Ice Cream Man every day.  My kids think it's the greatest thing. 

Which part of New York, Carol?  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/08 at 2:42 am

Which part of New York, Carol?  ???
You are both going to buy ice cream together?

Written By: Gis on 06/19/08 at 2:50 am

...and the tablets for the dodgy stomach afterwards?
I'm confused, why would I have a dodgy stomach? Unless you mean from eating too much ice cream!  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/08 at 2:51 am

I'm confused, why would I have a dodgy stomach? Unless you mean from eating too much ice cream!  ;D
Ill-prepared ice cream...

Written By: Gis on 06/19/08 at 3:02 am

Ill-prepared ice cream...
Have you ever experienced that? I haven't thank god!

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/08 at 3:09 am

Have you ever experienced that? I haven't thank god!
Some ice vendors I do not trust and it does not take much to upset my stomach.

Written By: Gis on 06/19/08 at 3:15 am

Some ice vendors I do not trust and it does not take much to upset my stomach.
Poor you, I can't imagine anything worse than being struck down by bad ice cream!

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/08 at 3:35 am

Poor you, I can't imagine anything worse than being struck down by bad ice cream!
...and after recovering it not worth complaining for you still have to prove it was the ice cream that caused it.

Written By: Howard on 06/19/08 at 6:23 am

You are both going to buy ice cream together?

What's her favorite flavor?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/08 at 7:49 am

What's her favorite flavor?
You will have to ask that.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/19/08 at 7:25 pm

But it's not ice cream in Britain, it's "ices"!

The sun never set on the British empire because God not trust Englishmen in the dark!
:P

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/19/08 at 7:45 pm

We went to a yard sale last summer and the children (of the houseold) that was having the sale accosted us and looked so darned cute schlocking Lemonade flavored Kool-Aid that I had to buy a dixie cup.  Then she charged me extra for the ice.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 06/19/08 at 7:47 pm

Pizza and Italian Ices. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/20/08 at 2:19 am

We went to a yard sale last summer and the children (of the houseold) that was having the sale accosted us and looked so darned cute schlocking Lemonade flavored Kool-Aid that I had to buy a dixie cup.  Then she charged me extra for the ice.   ;D
A good eye for business there.

Written By: Howard on 06/20/08 at 6:10 am

heading off to the beach.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/20/08 at 8:25 pm

lol This one speaks well of the future...

Went to a garage sale today, the kids set up a lemonade stand, sat for awhile then went to grandma's house because they got bored, leaving mom (who was running the garage sale) to run the lemonade stand too.  ::) ;D

Written By: Gis on 06/21/08 at 4:14 am

But it's not ice cream in Britain, it's "ices"!

The sun never set on the British empire because God not trust Englishmen in the dark!
:P
?? sorry I have no idea what on earth you are on about....................

Written By: Howard on 06/21/08 at 7:13 am

lol This one speaks well of the future...

Went to a garage sale today, the kids set up a lemonade stand, sat for awhile then went to grandma's house because they got bored, leaving mom (who was running the garage sale) to run the lemonade stand too.   ::) ;D

Did anyone buy some lemonade?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/22/08 at 1:25 am

Did anyone buy some lemonade?

The mom tried to give us some, but we really didn't want any.  The yard sale was on a very quiet street in a very quiet neighborhood, and there weren't anyone else at the sale when we were there...so I doubt anyone did buy any.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 06/22/08 at 6:02 am

The mom tried to give us some, but we really didn't want any.  The yard sale was on a very quiet street in a very quiet neighborhood, and there weren't anyone else at the sale when we were there...so I doubt anyone did buy any.   ;D

So what was the point in having a lemonade stand?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/22/08 at 9:37 am

So what was the point in having a lemonade stand?

because kids like to help participate in things, and to them..it is fun.

Written By: Howard on 06/22/08 at 2:47 pm

being out until 830pm.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/08 at 5:16 pm

being out until 830pm.
...or later?

Written By: Howard on 06/23/08 at 6:48 am

...or later?

the warm weather keeps me outside.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/24/08 at 6:05 am

the warm weather keeps me outside.
...hot weather means shade for me.

Written By: Howard on 06/24/08 at 6:13 am

...hot weather means shade for me.

It also means the air conditioner is on all night.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/24/08 at 9:06 am

It also means the air conditioner is on all night.
..and all day?

Written By: Howard on 06/24/08 at 10:24 am

..and all day?

That'll waste energy.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/24/08 at 12:13 pm

That'll waste energy.
But you do wish to keep cool?

Written By: Howard on 06/25/08 at 6:55 am

But you do wish to keep cool?

get some fans going.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/25/08 at 3:34 pm

get some fans going.
Open the windows or sit in the garden?

Written By: Howard on 06/25/08 at 9:36 pm

Open the windows or sit in the garden?

with a breeze going.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/26/08 at 1:31 am

with a breeze going.
...and a drink by your side?

Written By: Howard on 06/26/08 at 7:15 am

...and a drink by your side?

an ice cold drink. ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/02/08 at 2:06 am

an ice cold drink. ;)
With cookies close by?

Written By: Howard on 07/02/08 at 7:20 am

With cookies close by?

Yes definitely. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/04/08 at 2:39 am

Yes definitely. :)
...lying on a sun-bed ?

Written By: Howard on 07/04/08 at 6:10 am

...lying on a sun-bed ?

I don't think so.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/04/08 at 11:23 pm

I DO think so.

Check for new replies or respond here...